Pages:
Author

Topic: Fork off - page 20. (Read 37677 times)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0
January 10, 2015, 10:39:04 PM
IMO when the bitcoin bull market returns in strength, practically every alt will get a coupon "good for one more pump and dump" along with it. If the bull market translates to the mass adoption tipping point this go around, I think there will be a definite gap open up between the top ~10 coins and "all the rest"as focus narrows. Then anything left behind will be looking increasingly like a "toy" coin, and I doubt will live more than a year or so after that. There maybe some persisting microeconomy of new pump and dump alts, for people who still want to play at the cryptocurrency game, but the world is getting more serious. By the end of 2015 you might have to wear a shirt and tie to post here  Wink

lol, that talk. Bitcoin is a pump and dump coin itself. You bitcoiners are really scared of those other coins, aren't you?

They can just move faster, can't they? And they are mushrooming too. You must be sweating every night over altcoins.

Yeah, mushrooming! More food for Honey BTCadger, he is a hungry little bastard Smiley
Nothing can stop the honeybadger when it’s hungry. Oh, what a crazy fuck.

Exactly! Grin
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393
You lead and I'll watch you walk away.
January 10, 2015, 10:38:19 PM
We know roughly 20% of the hash rate is of unknown origin. Does anyone else know if MP controls or has controlling interest any known pools?

He never made such a claim AFAIK, and even if he had 20% of the hashrate, that still wouldn't be quite enough to cause serious trouble, would it?

This thread would be so much more fun if MPOE-PR was still around.

Why, are you missing the big boobs? Grin

Seriously, I don't get the point of his reluctance, i.e. why he makes such a big deal about it. Not that I care a lot, to be perfectly honest. Back in the days, Luke-jr also had some reluctance regarding newer versions of bitcoind, but IIRC they were a little more / better substantiated... and *he* was running a pool, unlike MP.

It wouldn't be enough to cause trouble. He would also need a known pool too. That's why I asked if the blowhard had control or controlling interest in any known pools.

Hey, I miss that avatar.  Grin

I don't think he wants Bitcoin to grow because he would lose his perceived position of control. He's a horrible egomaniac and I can see him wanting to keep his small community of worshipers.
Activity: 334
Merit: 102
Get Ready to Make money.
January 10, 2015, 10:37:19 PM
lol, that talk. Bitcoin is a pump and dump coin itself. You bitcoiners are really scared of those other coins, aren't you?

They can just move faster, can't they? And they are mushrooming too. You must be sweating every night over altcoins. Particularly with that many problems btc has. Looks increasingly like a shitcoin with a community with just slighlty higher IQ and rethorical skills.

Bitcoin lost its untouchable status as you went off your holy exponential curve and you know it well.

Off topic... go back to the trollbox on BTC-e already. As far as I'm concerned couldn't care less about the price at this stage.

yes, "price is irrelevant" now
donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
January 10, 2015, 10:34:44 PM
IMO when the bitcoin bull market returns in strength, practically every alt will get a coupon "good for one more pump and dump" along with it. If the bull market translates to the mass adoption tipping point this go around, I think there will be a definite gap open up between the top ~10 coins and "all the rest"as focus narrows. Then anything left behind will be looking increasingly like a "toy" coin, and I doubt will live more than a year or so after that. There maybe some persisting microeconomy of new pump and dump alts, for people who still want to play at the cryptocurrency game, but the world is getting more serious. By the end of 2015 you might have to wear a shirt and tie to post here  Wink

They can just move faster, can't they? And they are mushrooming too. You must be sweating every night over altcoins.

Yeah, mushrooming! More food for Honey BTCadger, he is a hungry little bastard Smiley
Nothing can stop the honeybadger when it’s hungry. Oh, what a crazy fuck.
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1035
January 10, 2015, 10:33:22 PM

They can just move faster, can't they? And they are mushrooming too. You must be sweating every night over altcoins. Particularly with that many problems btc has. Looks increasingly like a shitcoin with a community with just slighlty higher IQ and rethorical skills.

Bitcoin lost its untouchable status as you went off your holy exponential curve and you know it well.

Off topic... go back to the trollbox on BTC-e already. As far as I'm concerned couldn't care less about the price at this stage.
January 10, 2015, 10:29:00 PM

Activity: 334
Merit: 102
Get Ready to Make money.
January 10, 2015, 10:24:00 PM

January 10, 2015, 10:22:22 PM
If you are in favor of this hard fork, you are in favor of the USG. Open up to the loving arms of big brother!

This is one reasonable claim I can agree with against a fork. The principle of not changing fundamentals. Because changing them once means you can change them again. And that opens the door to corruption. Is this your main argument against the fork?

I think Satoshi didn't consider the block size to be among fundamentals, but rather a temporary precaution against DDOS attacks. PoW's nature is such that it is hard to hide because of the physical presence, thus pretending that power players of today don't exist is meaningless. We need to make them accept the new rules and for that the volume cap needs to increase. We still have Litecoin if that route fails.
Activity: 875
Merit: 1003
January 10, 2015, 10:07:04 PM
Well rationally there is no way the present Bitcoin can win over a higher limit fork:

Step 1:
A. Gavin creates a higher limit BTC fork.
B. Anyone else does it.

Step 2:
Present network can never grow more than it is now, because we are already hitting the limits.

Step 3:
New system takes over by nature of being the biggest - which it cannot avoid becoming because it scales!

Good point. Very true.

As much as we would not want something else to overtake the present version of Bitcoin, if nothing is changed, it will inevitably happen once future transaction volume makes Bitcoin incapable of supporting it. That failure to meet the transaction volume would cripple Bitcoin's usability and open the door wide open for another currency to take over which can scale properly.

Not necessarily true. dont you think that the supply and demand reaction would take effect if we stopped mining bitcoin, or had no more supply?  

Bitcoin has a large community backing it, and I hardly think there going to junkyard every thing, it would bring the bitcoin stable, and make it better for community as a whole.

Just thinking on it as a currency not a commodity.

Realpra is 100% right. Once the software is written for larger block sizes then any of the 1000 alts out there can incorporate it. Many will. Supply and demand then works against Bitcoin as demand will steadily weaken for a coin that cannot scale.
Dogecoin has a large community backing it, but that is not saving it from relentless decline.

If any of these retarded claims were true, there would already exist an altcoin with a greater market share than bitcoin. Since there is not, it is safe to conclude that the block size is not a problem. In fact, none of the "improvements" proposed by the various altcoins amount to anything valuable. You'd all like to think that ideas and opinions are worth something, as if it doesn't ultimately take a person with money to make it work. For example, look at this specimen of tardtalk redditardus:

Your comment here doesn't make sense though because there is no NEED for a coin with higher transaction volume right now. It isn't an issue... yet. You could create an altcoin right now that could support 9,999,999 transactions per second but it wouldn't matter because nobody needs that and there would be no need to adopt that coin when Bitcoin is already so popular and widespread. But what about when Bitcoin's ability to handle the tx volume DOES become an issue by sheer volume of transactions? Just let it fail? Because it will since it can't do the job it needs to do.

You just backed this up by your next statement: "In fact, none of the 'improvements' proposed by the various altcoins amount to anything valuable."  Exactly right. So when the changes are needed, then what? It becomes a valuable change. Would you rather ignore the future problem even though we see it coming?

If you are in favor of this hard fork, you are in favor of the USG. Open up to the loving arms of big brother!

This is one reasonable claim I can see with being against a fork. The principle of not changing fundamentals. Because changing them once means you can change them again. And that opens the door to corruption.

Is this your main argument against the fork?
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
Hodl!
January 10, 2015, 10:19:20 PM

If any of these retarded claims were true, there would already exist an altcoin with a greater market share than bitcoin. Since there is not, it is safe to conclude that the block size is not a problem. In fact, none of the "improvements" proposed by the various altcoins amount to anything valuable.

This would be last on the list of a parameters to alter in a run of the mill copy and paste coin. For a start it needs to get over the hump of even needing a few 10s of kilobytes of block size, and it won't do that for a year most likely. It's such an invisible feature at a coins launch that it will not make a fig of difference in the early make or break years. This would be why Satoshi left it for later. Since they are all a few years behind the curve in general, they can afford to wait for bitcoin to need it first.
January 10, 2015, 10:06:06 PM
Very good points in favor of the fork!

I would only say that maybe Bitcoin is here not to fight governments, but rather open them up and pull them away from the debt-based fiat capture. In this regard, increasing the block size limit seems like a natural evolution towards that goal. And we still have plenty of alt-coins to fill other niches.

Exactly this! If you are in favor of this hard fork, you are in favor of the USG. Open up to the loving arms of big brother!

Governments today (USG included) represent banks they owe money to. I suggest we take them back by moving taxes and spending onto blockchain for everyone to see.

Whenever there is a competition, power players will emerge and the only way to keep them in check is to make them transparent.
Activity: 212
Merit: 100
Daniel P. Barron
January 10, 2015, 09:55:13 PM
Well rationally there is no way the present Bitcoin can win over a higher limit fork:

Step 1:
B. Anyone else does it.

Step 2:
Present network can never grow more than it is now, because we are already hitting the limits.

Step 3:
New system takes over by nature of being the biggest - which it cannot avoid becoming because it scales!

Good point. Very true.

As much as we would not want something else to overtake the present version of Bitcoin, if nothing is changed, it will inevitably happen once future transaction volume makes Bitcoin incapable of supporting it. That failure to meet the transaction volume would cripple Bitcoin's usability and open the door wide open for another currency to take over which can scale properly.

Not necessarily true. dont you think that the supply and demand reaction would take effect if we stopped mining bitcoin, or had no more supply?  

Bitcoin has a large community backing it, and I hardly think there going to junkyard every thing, it would bring the bitcoin stable, and make it better for community as a whole.

Realpra is 100% right. Once the software is written for larger block sizes then any of the 1000 alts out there can incorporate it. Many will. Supply and demand then works against Bitcoin as demand will steadily weaken for a coin that cannot scale.
Dogecoin has a large community backing it, but that is not saving it from relentless decline.

If any of these retarded claims were true, there would already exist an altcoin with a greater market share than bitcoin. Since there is not, it is safe to conclude that the block size is not a problem. In fact, none of the "improvements" proposed by the various altcoins amount to anything valuable. You'd all like to think that ideas and opinions are worth something, as if it doesn't ultimately take a person with money to make it work. For example, look at this specimen of tardtalk redditardus:

What does Mircea Popescu have to lose by this proposed fork? It's obvious by his reaction that he feels this would be very negative for him, but why?

And I agree, Mircea's attitude and comments about his budget are a big turnoff.

That's like saying "I've lost the fight, so I'm going to go in with my wallet and buy my victory since my logic and arguments didn't prevail."

That's also how the Federal Reserve runs things. They use their control of money as their only power.

Big turn-off. And tyrannical.

Lost the fight? It's more like one guy said, "I'm gonna start validating invalid blocks for some derpy reason," and another (much more important) guy said, "alright, well I'm not gonna do that; have fun!" The fight hasn't begun yet; upvoting regurgitations from the latest gospel of derpopolous (or whoever replaced him after his death) does not constitute a fight.

Here's a glimpse of the war:
If the hard fork happens, it should be possible to cycle funds in and out of exchanges that are dumb enough to switch, splitting away real-bitcoin whenever the withdraw gives you an output that hasn't been doublespent yet. Withdraw, split, send fake-coins back into exchange, repeat. When "dust settles," exchange is now fractional reserve (if it wasn't already).

So you are an MP shill? Yes, there's a handful of you devoted followers in his IRC room.

MP def lost the intellectual battle by the brag of wealth as his last effort to win.

He invited me to his channel once and I spoke with him. I like the guy and he seemed nice. I had respect for him, but my viewpoint has changed after reading that post and his little snide jabs at various figures and boast of wealth to try to control things. That's no better than a US politician a.k.a. thug with a suit on.

While you kids were having your "intellectual battle," the professionals discussed the issue and came to their own conclusion. You may not like it, but money matters; that is, people with more of it have more of a say than those who have less. It doesn't really matter how many of the stupid-poor you can wrangle together; you can't wish your way to prosperity. And that's the whole point of bitcoin! Unlike FIAT, which can make unsustainable dreams temporarily come true, bitcoin forces the cold hard reality of savage capitalism.

I would only say that maybe Bitcoin is here not to fight governments, but rather open them up and pull them away from the debt-based fiat capture. In this regard, increasing the block size limit seems like a natural evolution towards that goal. And we still have plenty of alt-coins to fill other niches.

Exactly this! If you are in favor of this hard fork, you are in favor of the USG. Open up to the loving arms of big brother!
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
Hodl!
January 10, 2015, 09:52:08 PM
January 10, 2015, 09:44:04 PM

legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
100 satoshis -> ISO code
January 10, 2015, 09:23:20 PM

Step 1:
B. Anyone else does it.

Step 2:

Step 3:

Good point. Very true.

Realpra is right. Once the software is written for larger block sizes then any of the 1000 alts out there can incorporate it. Many will. Supply and demand then works against Bitcoin as demand will steadily weaken for a coin that cannot scale.
Activity: 229
https://forum.positroncrypto.com/
January 10, 2015, 09:18:30 PM

Step 1:
B. Anyone else does it.

Step 2:

Step 3:

Good point. Very true.

Activity: 875
Merit: 1003
January 10, 2015, 09:09:56 PM

Step 1:
B. Anyone else does it.

Step 2:

Step 3:

Good point. Very true.

Activity: 815
Merit: 1000
January 10, 2015, 09:05:37 PM

Step 1:
B. Anyone else does it.

Step 2:

Step 3:
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1035
January 10, 2015, 09:05:11 PM
We know roughly 20% of the hash rate is of unknown origin. Does anyone else know if MP controls or has controlling interest any known pools?

He never made such a claim AFAIK, and even if he had 20% of the hashrate, that still wouldn't be quite enough to cause serious trouble, would it?

This thread would be so much more fun if MPOE-PR was still around.

Why, are you missing the big boobs? Grin

Seriously, I don't get the point of his reluctance, i.e. why he makes such a big deal about it. Not that I care a lot, to be perfectly honest. Back in the days, Luke-jr also had some reluctance regarding newer versions of bitcoind, but IIRC they were a little more / better substantiated... and *he* was running a pool, unlike MP.
Activity: 229
https://forum.positroncrypto.com/
January 10, 2015, 09:05:08 PM
I honestly think that Bitcoindark had a good idea, going dark and making it hard to find out who sent it, and who received it, this would make a good idea and also help the bitcoin chain in respect to the coin economy.
just my 2 cents worth.

Dogecoin has a serious coin chasing it called Dogecoindark, and it show promise, and is growing every day.  check it out I'm sure you would agree.  Dogecoindark all the way  Grin
Pages:
Jump to: