Pages:
Author

Topic: Fork off - page 24. (Read 37677 times)

legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 1002
January 10, 2015, 01:14:49 PM
This thread may prove to be interesting. I'm in! Anybody else watching to see how this unfolds?

It's already better than last week's NFL playoff games, I'm ready to see what happens next...
watching too Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040
A Great Time to Start Something!
January 10, 2015, 01:11:48 PM
This thread may prove to be interesting. I'm in! Anybody else watching to see how this unfolds?

It's already better than last week's NFL playoff games, I'm ready to see what happens next...
Activity: 875
Merit: 1003
January 10, 2015, 01:04:01 PM
What does Mircea Popescu have to lose by this proposed fork? It's obvious by his reaction that he feels this would be very negative for him, but why?

And I agree, Mircea's attitude and comments about his budget are a big turnoff.

That's like saying "I've lost the fight, so I'm going to go in with my wallet and buy my victory since my logic and arguments didn't prevail."

That's also how the Federal Reserve runs things. They use their control of money as their only power.

Big turn-off. And tyrannical.
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000
--------------->¿?
January 10, 2015, 12:57:13 PM
Bitcoin can be hi-jacked by a simple majority?  

The ALT coins can fork.  

But once a crypto is past the age of 4.  Or $10m in marketcap.
No you do not fork.

Bitcoin the only value it has against the ALTs is that it will not fork, because it is impossible to establish a 99% consensus.  

Want a better 'bitcoin' make one
Launch it on the market.  

Hell give a snap shot distribution to the bitcoin holders.

Let the market, not a group of devs decide.

In case you didn't know, bitcoin is still in beta and a work in progress that needs to scale. It doesn't matter if bitcoin is more than 4 years old or more than $10M in maketcap. If a fork is required then be it.
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
January 10, 2015, 12:54:01 PM
Exactly what is the problem here?
We have forked in the past too. Whoever stands between progress in Bitcoin should be ignored. I honestly hope that we run into an issue that will force us into a fork for all these people who oppose it.

Who exactly is MPEx, I've missed that one?

not against progress at all.
I'm against forking in favour of a bloat - bloating the chain is no progress.

Scalability should be possible to achieve in other ways. I refuse liteversion - i want to be able to store the chain on my system with 100gb max space in the forseeable future. What you do is enforcing centralisation and incapacitate the user.

Has there been a money-price set up for the person providing the most smart solution or is bitcoin only one dev and decisionmaker and that's it?

You make the impression as if you had a decent notch too much marketcap and believe me, this bearmarket will continue throughout the year because bitcoin has a  host of problems with the rewards and the sellpressure they put on the market. Your focus is on the wrong things and your priorities are out of whack.

Bitcoin is some megalomaniac shitcoin. You can't even hold your value, what do you care about scalability? Nobody wants to use a coin which can't hold the value anyways.

Fortunately we don't  have to use it.
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1010
Join The Blockchain Revolution In Logistics
January 10, 2015, 12:39:35 PM
Bitcoin can be hi-jacked by a simple majority?  

The ALT coins can fork.  

But once a crypto is past the age of 4.  Or $10m in marketcap.
No you do not fork.

Bitcoin the only value it has against the ALTs is that it will not fork, because it is impossible to establish a 99% consensus.  

Want a better 'bitcoin' make one
Launch it on the market.  

Hell give a snap shot distribution to the bitcoin holders.

Let the market, not a group of devs decide.

legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
January 10, 2015, 12:39:16 PM
Exactly what is the problem here?
We have forked in the past too. Whoever stands between progress in Bitcoin should be ignored. I honestly hope that we run into an issue that will force us into a fork for all these people who oppose it.

Who exactly is MPEx, I've missed that one?
Activity: 742
January 10, 2015, 12:28:51 PM
Forking in favour for a blockchainbloat sounds good to me, will help it to die faster. I learned to hate it anyways and it's rapidly decaying thanks to idiotic economc planning of coinsemission. I'm pretty much done with it. Please hurry up, our time is valuable.

I'll be holding no bitcoin at the time of the fork and possibly not even rebuying ever, since i want to store the chain on my computer and you can stick your liteversion up the anus.

You'll notice a black swan when you see him. Can't be long now.
Activity: 518
Hodl!
January 10, 2015, 11:30:13 AM
i say "yes" when the majorty of trustworthy devs say that too and when they give good reasons for a change.

Yes I suppose I am going to rationally analyse the situation...

... but I'm having a hard time not physically ROTFLMAO at the conceit of MP basically saying "I'm going to fight fire by sitting on my huge pile of inflammable things, throwing handfuls of them into the air" and I can barely splutter out "Hokay then, ima get my flamethrower..."
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011
In Satoshi I Trust
January 10, 2015, 11:27:48 AM
let him play all he wants. It's a shitcoin anyway and not worth much of anything in a few weeks/months. A hardfork is just the last nail in the coffin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0oDDIy0P2s
Activity: 468
Merit: 100
The world’s first Play, Learn and Earn
January 10, 2015, 11:22:55 AM
let him play all he wants. It's a shitcoin anyway and not worth much of anything in a few weeks/months. A hardfork is just the last nail in the coffin. Market will teach you.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011
In Satoshi I Trust
January 10, 2015, 11:05:24 AM
i say "yes" when the majorty of trustworthy devs say that too and when they give good reasons for a change.
Activity: 658
Merit: 501
January 10, 2015, 11:01:50 AM
Sorry, no slur meant on Gavin, I was merely observing that a fork proposal could not be fucked up enough to make me not consider backing it against MP

I understood your context and agree(Mircea is an ass , but I won't base my decision upon that personality flaw alone)... I was addressing the fallacious and odd political or racial? insinuation railzand made.
Q7
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
January 10, 2015, 10:59:51 AM
I'm with Gavin on this one. We need to look long term on the benefits it will bring by increasing the block size.
Hodl!
January 10, 2015, 10:54:18 AM
Sorry, no slur meant on Gavin, I was merely observing that a fork proposal could not be fucked up enough to make me not consider backing it against MP
January 10, 2015, 10:46:19 AM
You know, even if it was a genocidal African warlord kleptocrat proposing the fork, I'd be inclined to support it to see Mircenary Popalottacrack taken down several pegs.

Well it is effectively Obama proposing the fork, so ...

What do you mean by this? Gavin is more of an independent political thinker and would tend to support green or libertarian leaning candidates if you reviewed his blog.

http://gavinthink.blogspot.com/search/label/Politics
http://gavinthink.blogspot.com/2006/11/mostly.html

Quote from: Gavin
I'm mostly a libertarian.

I used to be mostly a Democrat, but I've become both more cynical and more optimistic as I've grown older.

I'm cynical about the ability of Government to solve our problems. Most of the really big problems (wars, genocides, environmental destruction) are either the direct or indirect result of government.
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
Lux e tenebris
January 10, 2015, 10:36:20 AM
You know, even if it was a genocidal African warlord kleptocrat proposing the fork, I'd be inclined to support it to see Mircenary Popalottacrack taken down several pegs.

Well it is effectively Obama proposing the fork, so ...
Hodl!
January 10, 2015, 10:34:12 AM
donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
January 10, 2015, 10:30:11 AM
There's nothing to watch. What's anyone gonna do, make the price drop?
January 10, 2015, 10:25:50 AM
Gavin's thoughts are well reasoned and coherent, and these proposed changes will be a step in the right direction for Bitcoin.

http://blog.bitcoinfoundation.org/blocksize-economics/
https://blog.bitcoinfoundation.org/a-bitcoin-backbone/
https://blog.bitcoinfoundation.org/a-scalability-roadmap/

The detractors within your articles are spewing incoherent fear and seem to have a knee-jerk protectionist reaction instead of giving coherent point by point rebuttals to Gavin's proposal. Bitcoin does have many problems that still need to be addressed like the size of the blockchain and centralization problems but these are already solutions being implemented to target these problems.

I support the Hardfork and Gavin with this specific proposal.

p.s... Lest I be accused of being some establishment boot-licker, I am an open Crypto-anarchist who also supports Cody Wilson's platform to destroy the Bitcoin foundation(Nothing against Gavin personally as his contributions have been fantastic and we would insure that him and other core developers are taken care of in the event that the Bitcoin Foundation is destroyed)
Pages:
Jump to: