Pages:
Author

Topic: Foundation Passport Official Thread - page 14. (Read 4583 times)

copper member
Activity: 72
Merit: 225
April 07, 2023, 02:33:53 PM

We actually are already on Reddit but honestly haven't put much focus into it so far:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FoundationDevices/

Will be sure we push updates and blog posts etc to there as we go along!
Shame on me for not looking further I guess. I've looked into your official website[1] and didn't find any mention of it, hence why I went into a hurry to try to secure the sub. I'm glad that you already have it! I think it would help spread awareness if you could, for example, add the Reddit link right after the bottom of the page where you have all the other communities (Twitter, GitHub, Telegram...).

[1]https://foundationdevices.com/

Will do that now, not sure why it's not there to be quite honest!
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 3001
April 07, 2023, 01:19:00 PM

We actually are already on Reddit but honestly haven't put much focus into it so far:

Shame on me for not looking further I guess. I've looked into your official website[1] and didn't find any mention of it, hence why I went into a hurry to try to secure the sub. I'm glad that you already have it! I think it would help spread awareness if you could, for example, add the Reddit link right after the bottom of the page where you have all the other communities (Twitter, GitHub, Telegram...).

[1]https://foundationdevices.com/
copper member
April 07, 2023, 12:05:27 PM
(...)
Thank you for the detailed reply to both of my questions. I'm really looking forward - and I'm sure I'm not the only one - of seeing your roadmap later this year. Please do keep us posted (perhaps giving us - the community - a little bit of a sneak peak before officially disclosuing the map? Smiley ).

On a second note, have you considered creating a Reddit sub for your customers/community? Big hardware wallet companies such as Trezor[1] and Ledger[2] have them and it is a great way to directly interact with the community and users that probably don't even know this forum exists. While I believe you'll have a greater technical feedback here (and more passionate one), you'll always find more interaction with a larger scale user base in Reddit. If you do decide to follow this endeavor, I've made a brand new account and created the sub r/foundationdvcs (currently set as private) as a way to prevent anyone to claim it before you. r/Foundation already exists so if you decide to follow this route just send me a PM and I'll add your account to the moderation and shortly after I remove myself from moderating it.

[1]https://libreddit.spike.codes/r/TREZOR/
[2]https://libreddit.spike.codes/r/ledgerwallet/

legendary
April 07, 2023, 09:33:35 AM
(...)
Thank you for the detailed reply to both of my questions. I'm really looking forward - and I'm sure I'm not the only one - of seeing your roadmap later this year. Please do keep us posted (perhaps giving us - the community - a little bit of a sneak peak before officially disclosuing the map? Smiley ).

On a second note, have you considered creating a Reddit sub for your customers/community? Big hardware wallet companies such as Trezor[1] and Ledger[2] have them and it is a great way to directly interact with the community and users that probably don't even know this forum exists. While I believe you'll have a greater technical feedback here (and more passionate one), you'll always find more interaction with a larger scale user base in Reddit. If you do decide to follow this endeavor, I've made a brand new account and created the sub r/foundationdvcs (currently set as private) as a way to prevent anyone to claim it before you. r/Foundation already exists so if you decide to follow this route just send me a PM and I'll add your account to the moderation and shortly after I remove myself from moderating it.

[1]https://libreddit.spike.codes/r/TREZOR/
[2]https://libreddit.spike.codes/r/ledgerwallet/
copper member
April 05, 2023, 03:39:15 PM
Hi all,

We're thrilled to announce a major new open beta of Envoy, our mobile Bitcoin wallet and companion app for Passport. With this open beta we’re greatly expanding what Envoy is capable of, making it a feature-rich Bitcoin hot wallet in addition to its existing role as a watch-only wallet and management app for Passport. Hot wallet support in Envoy opens up financial sovereignty through our tools to many more users and lays the groundwork for other privacy and security features we’re building behind the scenes.

You can read up on it and find links to the app stores and direct downloads in our new blog post:

https://foundationdevices.com/2023/03/envoy-wallet-open-beta/

Two current gaps to note:

• Passphrase wallets are not currently supported. We do plan on supporting passphrases with the public release, but are currently working on implementing a smooth user experience around passphrases and how they interact with the auto-backup feature.
  • Deleting only the hot wallet is not currently possible. You can still reset the app by uninstalling/reinstalling or clearing app data, but please note that this will currently reset the entire app, including Passport accounts etc.

A quick tip on testing: if you're using Android, you can install this beta version of Envoy in a new profile or work profile to allow you to keep your current Envoy app untouched as you test out all of the new bells and whistles.

Please feel free to drop any feedback here as you test it out!
copper member
April 04, 2023, 03:26:29 PM
@foundationdvcs since some time has passed since my previous reply[1], I was wondering if you guys had any opportunity to study/analyze the way that how an European customer pays for the fees for shipping to his/her address?

I've also took a look at your website and found that, besides the English language, there isn't an option to change the website language. As a way to penetrate in more markets - at least regarding information - have you considered hiring translators to increase the reach of your website? I might be biased on this one but there are a great quantity of good translators right here on bitcointalk[2].

Thanks for how much thought you've put into that! We haven't been able to address that yet, I'm opening an issue internally now to be sure it doesn't fall off our radar moving forward.

As far as translations, we are working on a complete rebuild of the site from the ground up, and translations are going to be much easier with the new approach. I'll be sure that website translations get captured in the spec as we build, and will reach out to translators (thanks for the link!) at that point. We're also planning on translating Envoy in the near term, but due to device memory constraints we likely won't add translations to Passport Batch 2.

As a final question, what can you share with us regarding what's Foundation Roadmap for 2023? Another product to complement the current lineup or perhaps make a gap year and improve the device you have at the moment?

[1]https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.61902084
[2]https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ofnt-aobt-the-alliance-of-bitcointalk-translators-5442314

We like to keep things a bit closer to the chest when it comes to roadmap, but rest assured we have big things on the software and hardware front in 2023. Software is just over the horizon, hardware is advancing rapidly and we can't wait to show what we're working on to you all later this year.
legendary
April 03, 2023, 04:54:56 PM
@foundationdvcs since some time has passed since my previous reply[1], I was wondering if you guys had any opportunity to study/analyze the way that how an European customer pays for the fees for shipping to his/her address?

I've also took a look at your website and found that, besides the English language, there isn't an option to change the website language. As a way to penetrate in more markets - at least regarding information - have you considered hiring translators to increase the reach of your website? I might be biased on this one but there are a great quantity of good translators right here on bitcointalk[2].

As a final question, what can you share with us regarding what's Foundation Roadmap for 2023? Another product to complement the current lineup or perhaps make a gap year and improve the device you have at the moment?

[1]https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.61902084
[2]https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ofnt-aobt-the-alliance-of-bitcointalk-translators-5442314
copper member
March 23, 2023, 03:53:06 PM
I can confirm that signing from QR codes now works flawlessly. Great job!

Love to hear that! Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any issues or feedback in the future as well  Smiley
Activity: 27
Merit: 12
March 23, 2023, 03:30:51 PM
I can confirm that signing from QR codes now works flawlessly. Great job!
copper member
March 23, 2023, 01:29:10 PM
Hi all,

We've just released Passport firmware version 2.0.7!

In version 2.0.7, we’ve reworked memory management when signing transactions from the ground up, drastically improving handling of larger than normal transactions via QR codes. We’ve also added the ability to delete files from microSD directly on Passport, allow you to export multisig configs directly via QR and microSD, and cleaned up a few small bugs.

Read more in our latest blog post: https://foundationdevices.com/2023/03/passport-version-2-0-7-is-now-live/
copper member
March 20, 2023, 10:42:38 AM
Nice video. I like how you took a shot at Silicon Valley Bank there in the beginning.
The animation with the guy standing at the edge of the cliff looks great. Did your team create that or is it from a video game and you just added the Passport in the guy's hand? It looks really well made.

Thanks, seemed a timely addition as we've been working on this, so much out there pushing people to using Bitcoin, and self-custody is the only way they truly gain freedom through it.

We did the entire video from scratch alongside a contracted content creator in the space, glad to hear it landed well  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
March 19, 2023, 05:58:37 AM
Nice video. I like how you took a shot at Silicon Valley Bank there in the beginning.
The animation with the guy standing at the edge of the cliff looks great. Did your team create that or is it from a video game and you just added the Passport in the guy's hand? It looks really well made.
copper member
March 17, 2023, 09:18:36 AM
Hi all, a couple of updates for you on the community front:

We've released our first video walking through Passport and what it is for broader marketing, you can have a look here:

Meet Passport: The new standard for Bitcoin hardware wallets. Shipping now!

We've also joined the new protocol and social media platform Nostr, and have setup our account there. Be sure to follow us with our NIP-05 ID or public key below if you're on Nostr as it will be a go-to for us moving forward!

Code: (NIP-05 ID)
foundationdevices.com
Code: (npub (public key))
npub1s0vtkgej33n7ec4d7ycxmwt78up8hpfa30d0yfksrshq7t82mchqynpq6j

If you want to learn more about Nostr you can read our latest blog post, "Privacy on Nostr."
copper member
March 13, 2023, 07:45:22 PM
Sure! You can find all of our docs on the integration here, but the core of it is that Bitcoin Keeper is a multisig-centric wallet with a focus on helping users setup tiers of Bitcoin storage (including singlesig and multisig) with a proper plan for inheritance long-term. They have a pretty clean UI and UX, and have been great to work with on the integration front. They've also done good work integrating the latest interoperable standards for multisig, which has been helpful for us as well as we're laser-focused on interoperability and embracing emerging standards in the Bitcoin space.
Problem I have with Bitcoin Keeper is that I can't find source code for their app, so I assume they are closed source.
There is bithyve github page, that is their parrent company I think, but I can't find information for Bitcoin Keeper there.
I prefer using open source alternative whenever I can, and I know this isn't always possible, but I think I saw similar apps that can be used as part of multisig setup.

They're supposed to be releasing the source code this month, they were waiting for their mainnet release and code cleanup, but I agree that we should be wary of closed source apps in control of our funds!

Definitely understand waiting until the source is available and has been out for a bit.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7064
Cashback 15%
March 13, 2023, 03:50:08 PM
Sure! You can find all of our docs on the integration here, but the core of it is that Bitcoin Keeper is a multisig-centric wallet with a focus on helping users setup tiers of Bitcoin storage (including singlesig and multisig) with a proper plan for inheritance long-term. They have a pretty clean UI and UX, and have been great to work with on the integration front. They've also done good work integrating the latest interoperable standards for multisig, which has been helpful for us as well as we're laser-focused on interoperability and embracing emerging standards in the Bitcoin space.
Problem I have with Bitcoin Keeper is that I can't find source code for their app, so I assume they are closed source.
There is bithyve github page, that is their parrent company I think, but I can't find information for Bitcoin Keeper there.
I prefer using open source alternative whenever I can, and I know this isn't always possible, but I think I saw similar apps that can be used as part of multisig setup.
legendary
March 12, 2023, 07:29:45 PM
1. We can't estimate it for every country in one page, so you'll get the estimate when you're checking out and put in your country/address. It varies widely, of course!
2. It does not, we use standard international shipping. If you want to simplify the customs/import process, using one of our resellers (if there is one local) is usually the best option.
 did want to ensure they were rugged enough to withstand normal use for a HWW. On future devices we'll explore testing to specific standards, will bring this up to the team today as a reference!

Regarding both topics that ETFbitcoin brought up, I would like to highlight[1] my initial discussion with @zherbert regarding the way shipping costs are calculated when talking about other countries besides USA and how (perhaps) it could be improved:

Currently we just display the estimated import tax, but we don't charge the customer. The customer then needs to pay it directly from UPS (or whatever carrier they select) upon package delivery.

I think there is a way where we could pay the import tax on behalf of the customer, and therefore charge them for the estimated tax during checkout. I'll explore if this is possible, because I like your idea. The only downside would be if the estimate is consistently lower than the actual tax; that would eat into our margins and we aren't quite as big as Amazon Smiley

So while the client is making the purchase he was to directly pay it to UPS instead to Foundation as a company? I may be thinking this wrong and I would love your input but, from a user perspective, this operation seems like it's a bit confuse - If I'm willing to pay for such a premium for such a device (considering the offers in the market), the least that I would expect is that I would pay whatever had to pay to Foundation and then the order would eventually come to my house - no need to make two separate transactions, one for you and one for UPS. I may be wrong on the following assumption, but doesn't it mean that by paying directly to UPS it makes me the one responsible for the package, thus it would be me who would have to argue with them if something went bad as opposed to being Foundation the ones responsible to care and making sure that the package arrives with no problems?

[1]https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.61764293
copper member
March 09, 2023, 12:53:55 PM
Maybe you can tell us more about new integration with Bitcoinkeeper app, you posted about that with your twitter account.
I was following them for some time and it looks interesting for multisig setup but I never tested it myself, they support many hardware wallets.

We also did an interview with them on our podcast, Journey to Sovereignty, that you can find here:

EP #5 - Is multisig for everyone?

Edit: Realized I didn't even link their website! Here is their website with plenty more info on their approach and implementation:

Bitcoin Keeper, your private bitcoin vault
Activity: 882
Merit: 5814
not your keys, not your coins!
March 08, 2023, 06:56:22 PM
Please test it out (if you're comfortable with a beta release) and report back with any issues, feedback, or suggestions you have! The official release should go live in about 1wk, pending any issues that are discovered in the public beta testing.
I am expecting n0nce will be testing this new firmware, but I like new ability to export multisig configs with QR codes or SD cards.
Yes, I do like to test their firmwares; for instance here I tried the v2.0.5 beta to see whether the camera was working better.
Right now, I'm running the v2.0.6 release version and camera scanning is now amazing + looping through the main menu is quite convenient.
I don't know when I'll have the time to thoroughly test v2.0.7, since it seems more focused on multisig and that takes me more time to test, since I've got to gather my various wallets and such.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7064
Cashback 15%
March 08, 2023, 03:49:04 PM
Please test it out (if you're comfortable with a beta release) and report back with any issues, feedback, or suggestions you have! The official release should go live in about 1wk, pending any issues that are discovered in the public beta testing.
I am expecting n0nce will be testing this new firmware, but I like new ability to export multisig configs with QR codes or SD cards.

Maybe you can tell us more about new integration with Bitcoinkeeper app, you posted about that with your twitter account.
I was following them for some time and it looks interesting for multisig setup but I never tested it myself, they support many hardware wallets.
copper member
March 08, 2023, 11:28:08 AM
Now that we're active on Bitcoin Talk, we wanted to include the awesome community here in an opportunity to beta test new Passport firmware releases and provide feedback.

We're happy to announce that the public beta for version 2.0.7 is available now on Github:

Passport v2.0.7 Firmware (Beta 7)

NOTE: This is a Beta version of Passport firmware. You must install the beta pubkey (attached in GitHub) using the Settings -> Advanced -> Developer PubKey menu item before you can install this beta. If you are not comfortable with this, please wait for the official release, which should be available shortly. Detailed instructions for this process can be found here.

Mainly usability improvements in this one, full details of which can be found in the GitHub change log. Most notable are:

• Improved memory management when signing via QR codes (sign larger transactions)
  • Added the ability to export existing multisig configs via QR or SD card (Passport can now act as an additional backup of the wallet data which can be super useful in disaster recovery scenarios)
  • Improved transaction detail display when conducting self spends

Pages:
Jump to: