Pages:
Author

Topic: Freedom is ... - page 17. (Read 14406 times)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
December 11, 2012, 02:44:44 AM
Though I wonder why uniformity trumps fairness.

Fairness cannot exist without uniform application.

I see, so we should make the speed limits in all the US states the same? Otherwise they're not fair, right?

Wow. What a weak comeback. I doubt one freeway will feel that it got unfair treatment as opposed to another freeway.
It's not the freeway, but the motorist that gets unfair treatment. What will get a man fined in one state (going, say, 75mph), or in one section of a state, will not get another man in trouble at all. That is not uniform, and so, not fair, am I right?

Not really. Both encounter the same speed limit on the same highway.

But it's not uniform from highway to highway! What if on one highway, the speed limit is 65, but on the other, it's 55? A motorist traveling from one highway to another could get charged with speeding for doing something that was not before he took the exit. And a motorist traveling from Highway to city streets suffers even more stiff penalties for doing something that was perfectly legal only moments before. It's madness, I tell you.
Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
December 11, 2012, 02:29:23 AM

I see, so we should make the speed limits in all the US states the same? Otherwise they're not fair, right?

Wow. What a weak comeback. I doubt one freeway will feel that it got unfair treatment as opposed to another freeway.
It's not the freeway, but the motorist that gets unfair treatment. What will get a man fined in one state (going, say, 75mph), or in one section of a state, will not get another man in trouble at all. That is not uniform, and so, not fair, am I right?

Not really. Both encounter the same speed limit on the same highway.

Therefore, all speed limits everywhere should be exactly the same, in order to be fair to all motorists.

No, not really. But all motorists should get equal treatment regarding emergency response should they get in an accident on some particular highway. For example, if Alice and Bob are in a head on collision on highway X.
December 11, 2012, 02:22:59 AM

Therefore, all speed limits everywhere should be exactly the same, in order to be fair to all motorists.
December 11, 2012, 02:19:23 AM

December 11, 2012, 02:15:27 AM

I see, so we should make the speed limits in all the US states the same? Otherwise they're not fair, right? And we should make the highway speeds the same as the city street speeds. That's fair, right?
December 11, 2012, 02:12:46 AM
I'm going to guess, without even looking, that the post directly above mine has nothing to do with freedom...

I'm going to point out (as opposed to guessing) that the above post has nothing to do with freedom.

Edit: Well, Not as bad as usual. I stand corrected.

December 11, 2012, 02:05:49 AM
I'm going to guess, without even looking, that the post directly above mine has nothing to do with freedom...

Edit: Well, Not as bad as usual. I stand corrected.

December 11, 2012, 01:53:37 AM
A uniform set of laws guaranteeing rights to protection of everyone regardless of their wealth, such that everyone may go about their business and recreation reasonably and comfortably.
Activity: 926
Merit: 1001
weaving spiders come not here
December 10, 2012, 11:41:20 PM
Uncompromisedly strict adherence to the non-aggression principle.

I like that too.
Activity: 784
Annuit cœptis humanae libertas
December 10, 2012, 11:19:51 PM
Uncompromisedly strict adherence to the non-aggression principle.
Activity: 926
Merit: 1001
weaving spiders come not here
December 10, 2012, 10:52:16 PM
the inability to be coerced.
Pages:
Jump to: