Pages:
Author

Topic: FreiCoin (FRC) discussion (was FreiCoin (FRC) for TRC, PPC, LTC or BTC) - page 4. (Read 42592 times)

legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008
/dev/null
the graph clearly shows its dieing/dead.
Activity: 476
Merit: 253
how is the not dying going on?

anyone knows:

- how many blocks to retarget?
- time to retarget aproximation ?
- next difficulty aproximation ?
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
legendary
Activity: 1876
How many more to go? 300?
ballpark 325

we solved 23 in 24 hours
Activity: 91
Merit: 10
Remaining blocks until diff. change = (8 * 2016) - current blockount
So now it would be 16128 - 15795 = 333
legendary

3 more blocks in the last  8 hours!
is there a new projection when the diff will drop?
It could take anywhere between two weeks to four months. Yesterday there were only three blocks found, which means it would take almost 130 days until the difficult drops.

2 weeks I heard in an IRC chat post... Not certain.

http://pastebin.com/h1Am5bKw

18:24:19 PM] maaku: btw this hasn't come up, but I'm not worried about the hash rate at all
[18:24:43 PM] maaku: imho this is simply a combination of a lack of exchange and the skyrocketing btc price
[18:24:54 PM] jtimon: we could announce it like that, "the first amounts will depend on the proposals presented"
[18:25:38 PM] maaku: jtimon: yes, that's my thinking
[18:26:30 PM] jtimon: difficulty will lower "soon", judging from the last graph I saw, although I didn't counted the blocks, lazy me
[18:28:10 PM] jtimon: it went too fast at first, so it  may even be good that it slows down
[18:28:26 PM] maaku: we have exactly 400 blocks to go to the next adjustment
[18:29:14 PM] r000n: ~2 weeks
[18:36:15 PM] maaku: but i wanted to get a GUI element first that warns if there is a significant mismatch between block height and reference height
[18:36:35 PM] maaku: which I'm working on now
[18:37:08 PM] maaku: i'm thinking just highlight the reference height in red if it differs from the block height by more than 6
[18:37:30 PM] maaku: and maybe a tooltip explaining why
[18:37:40 PM] jtimon: yes, now that people are warned, it's better time to put it easier to change refHeigh
[18:38:18 PM] jtimon: sounds good
[18:39:13 PM] jtimon: a wiki article would be cool too
[18:41:59 PM] jtimon: explaining why that's an attack and what the limitations of the attack are if you just look at the refHeight
[18:42:51 PM] maaku: ah okay, that's a good idea
[18:50:15 PM] maaku: ok, so tasks for me: 0.0.2 release and debugging freico.in page buildout, and incorporation paperwork
[18:50:46 PM] maaku: if someone wants to take a stab a the ref height wiki article, that'd be great - it'd take one thing off my pile of work
legendary

Latest Difficulty vs. Nett Hash / Second.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057
Marketing manager - GO MP
you're losing less.

just a highlight

I think this is appropriate. The demurrage is less when there is less mining activity. I have always wanted a currency which increases in value when economic activity is slow and decreases in value when economic activity is overheated. Hopefully it creates a self-regulating system to manage booms and busts.

Since when is there economic activity? Even dramatic activity has been less than stellar lately.
Activity: 966
Merit: 311
you're losing less.

just a highlight

I think this is appropriate. The demurrage is less when there is less mining activity. I have always wanted a currency which increases in value when economic activity is slow and decreases in value when economic activity is overheated. Hopefully it creates a self-regulating system to manage booms and busts.
legendary
Activity: 1205
Merit: 1010

It is 1 hour, and yes, network hashrate and thus difficulty tends to oscillate wildly but even though manipulators are doubling difficulty
often, TerraCoin is showing it's supremacy over most other coins. Not only that manipulator won't get much more TRC overally before
difficulty goes up - which is the point when he will jump off the network - but it'll take just 2 hours to have difficulty halved.

PPC might be better actualy, I haven't checked it because of security issues - are they fixed yet?

Ah yes I stand corrected it's 30-block adjustment interval equivalent to 1-hour. Last I checked I haven't seen any manipulation attempts yet, these large variations right now is probably just due to small sampling size of 30 blocks. When I get some free time I might consider demonstrating the problem with such short adjustment interval, I believe if miners collusion occurs the difficulty can be dramatically reduced persistently, if terracoin did not properly fix the time-travel vulnerability (which looks like they did not but do correct me if I am wrong on this).

As for progress of ppcoin's protocol upgrade you are welcome to check my weekly update thread.
donator
Activity: 994
Although too late now, perhaps a secondary condition for changing the difficulty based on a low average of blocks over a few days might avoid the issue in the future for any cryptocurrency. This is just a quick suggestion and I have not flushed out all the security concerns. This would probably require a hard fork.

There is no need for ad hoc rules like that. I have already presented a solution with ppcoin's continuous difficulty adjustment algorithm. Using a shorter adjustment interval like LTC works to some extent as well. Only TRC's 2-hour adjustment is probably too short and opens up to difficulty manipulation by the miners.
+1. I always wondered why bitcoin has constant difficulty intervals anyway.

The running average implemented in ppcoin is most logical solution for difficulty adjustment and showed that it works well to accommodate rapid changes in hashrate.
legendary
Activity: 1205
Merit: 1010
Although too late now, perhaps a secondary condition for changing the difficulty based on a low average of blocks over a few days might avoid the issue in the future for any cryptocurrency. This is just a quick suggestion and I have not flushed out all the security concerns. This would probably require a hard fork.

There is no need for ad hoc rules like that. I have already presented a solution with ppcoin's continuous difficulty adjustment algorithm. Using a shorter adjustment interval like LTC works to some extent as well. Only TRC's 2-hour adjustment is probably too short and opens up to difficulty manipulation by the miners.
Activity: 30
Merit: 0

So essentially there isn't enough hashing power on the network to make things suitably quick?

My client is reporting 15677 blocks complete, and the last was generated 13 hours ago. Normally it takes but a few seconds to sync up.

Hoping the freicoin network is intact.

Edit - Decided to push some hashing power to the network for the evening. Lets hope someone gets the next block.

The network is still fine. For one, it's the exact same as bitcoin.

We haven't monkeyed with the proven parameters that make Bitcoin work, not even the targeted inter-block time.

As you can see at cryptocoinexplorer.com, the current block is 15677. http://cryptocoinexplorer.com:4750/chain/Freicoin

Thanks Galambo. I will be sure to check out the cryptocoinexplorer to make sure my client it up to the latest block. (it is now btw)
I understand difficulty can only increase a maximum of 4x at each adjustment period.  Is there a limit on how far difficulty can decrease per adjustment period?  

Same as maximum increase. Difficulty can go down to 1/4x at most.
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Whoa, there are a lot of cats in this wall.
I understand difficulty can only increase a maximum of 4x at each adjustment period.  Is there a limit on how far difficulty can decrease per adjustment period? 
Activity: 322
Merit: 250
Pages:
Jump to: