Pages:
Author

Topic: Gavin will visit the CIA - page 3. (Read 152933 times)

legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145
The revolution will be monetized!
August 07, 2012, 10:59:49 AM
ok so just 1 yes/no question:
Is it possible that Gavin gave the CIA a method to shutdown Bitcoin?
No. And what "method" are we talking about, because I know of no such method.
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009
August 07, 2012, 04:17:27 AM

No
Activity: 1540
Merit: 564
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!
August 07, 2012, 02:50:40 AM
legendary
Activity: 1072
Merit: 1174
August 06, 2012, 05:28:41 PM
OK, thanks for helping me to understand about the propagation part of it. So what you are saying is that such messages are being shuffled around in limbo via the P2P network, but don't touch the blockchain ever?

Exactly.
rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
August 06, 2012, 05:28:07 PM
It's been used several times. If you install an old client, you will see a warning at the bottom that says that it is insecure and needs to be updated. That warning message is actually stored in the blockchain.
No, it's not. It's an alert message that is being broadcast into the network.
Each client can decide if/how show it.
Also, in principle, different clients could use different signing keys.
OK, thanks for helping me to understand about the propagation part of it. So what you are saying is that such messages are being shuffled around in limbo via the P2P network, but don't touch the blockchain ever?
Activity: 731
Merit: 503
Libertas a calumnia
August 06, 2012, 04:55:01 PM
It's been used several times. If you install an old client, you will see a warning at the bottom that says that it is insecure and needs to be updated. That warning message is actually stored in the blockchain.
No, it's not. It's an alert message that is being broadcast into the network.
Each client can decide if/how show it.
Also, in principle, different clients could use different signing keys.
legendary
Activity: 1072
Merit: 1174
August 06, 2012, 04:26:11 PM
so if gavin gave the CIA that key. then the cia could corrupt the blockchain whenever they want? or at least make a malicious bitcoin client "update"

No. The only thing that this key can do is signing an alert message that propagates through the network.

Satoshi, Gavin and theymos have this key, IIRC.
Activity: 546
Merit: 500
August 06, 2012, 04:11:12 PM
so if gavin gave the CIA that key. then the cia could corrupt the blockchain whenever they want? or at least make a malicious bitcoin client "update"

Here is hoping he shows up and answers this... Huh
Activity: 560
Merit: 501
August 06, 2012, 11:07:08 AM
There is no such of that kind of master key, either.  That was only a proposal discussed a couple years ago that never went anywhere.
legendary
August 06, 2012, 11:06:49 AM
The functionality is just for messaging, it can't force an update or anything like that. Worst that I think could happen is they send a message that shows at the bottom of the client window that says the client needs to be upgraded because of a security problem. But then, they would also have to create a bogus update, get it signed with a DIFFERENT key that is used for software releases, and upload it to github/sourceforge without being detected. It would be difficult and complicated to pull off.

No need in such complicated actions. Bitcoin clients/services could be easily DDoSed.
rjk
1ngldh
August 06, 2012, 11:03:36 AM
The functionality is just for messaging, it can't force an update or anything like that. Worst that I think could happen is they send a message that shows at the bottom of the client window that says the client needs to be upgraded because of a security problem. But then, they would also have to create a bogus update, get it signed with a DIFFERENT key that is used for software releases, and upload it to github/sourceforge without being detected. It would be difficult and complicated to pull off.
Activity: 1540
Merit: 564
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!
August 06, 2012, 11:00:33 AM
rjk
1ngldh
August 06, 2012, 10:26:08 AM
There is no master key. That would make it all worthless.
The "master key" in this case is the key that is used to sign messages that get broadcast to all nodes, for instance to warn of a security vulnerability. As far as I know, that particular key isn't used for anything else, but I'm not sure of that.

There is no such of that kind of master key, either.  That was only a proposal discussed a couple years ago that never went anywhere.
Activity: 546
Merit: 500
August 06, 2012, 10:16:27 AM
As far as i know the "master key" is only for messages. Anyway, the client is opensource so it's not like they can hide a code that will let someone control everyone  Cheesy

That is the power of FOSS. Those who have large investments in bitccoin can revive it on their own to maintain their investment. The rest of the users profit as well from the open source design.
legendary
August 06, 2012, 10:14:19 AM
As far as i know the "master key" is only for messages. Anyway, the client is opensource so it's not like they can hide a code that will let someone control everyone  Cheesy

I bet anyone revises the source code.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
August 06, 2012, 10:09:49 AM
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007
August 06, 2012, 09:45:33 AM
The "master key" in this case is the key that is used to sign messages that get broadcast to all nodes, for instance to warn of a security vulnerability. As far as I know, that particular key isn't used for anything else, but I'm not sure of that.

rjk
1ngldh
August 06, 2012, 09:20:18 AM
legendary
Activity: 2856
Merit: 1518
Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206
August 06, 2012, 08:59:45 AM
Forgive my ignorance, still learning here.

Is Bitcoin at risk should an individual lead developer (or all of them together) become compromised?
Does a "master key" exist that one could give up to an alphabet agency, enabling the agency to do harm to the blockchain?

so did gavin give the cia the master key?
But I suspect that if Gavin was compromised it would have a negative impact.

If Gavin was compromised and would delay the Bitcoin experiment other people would take over his part and put Bitcoin forward.

But Bitcoin is still an experiment if you look around. What I can see is speculation, gambling, hoarding. Not interesting for ordinary people at the moment. IMHO
Activity: 784
firstbits:1MinerQ
August 06, 2012, 08:49:39 AM
Forgive my ignorance, still learning here.

Is Bitcoin at risk should an individual lead developer (or all of them together) become compromised?
Does a "master key" exist that one could give up to an alphabet agency, enabling the agency to do harm to the blockchain?

so did gavin give the cia the master key?
But I suspect that if Gavin was compromised it would have a negative impact.
Pages:
Jump to: