Pages:
Author

Topic: GekkoScience 2Pac/Compac BM1384 Stickminer Official Support Thread - page 67. (Read 177300 times)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0
Is SHA3 mathematically identical to Bitcoin's algorithm?

That wert, art and evermore shall be the answer to every question of the form "Can you mine xxx with this?" And henceforth that question will never again be answered except in this extremely sarcastic manner.

As you can see on the left my status is a Newbie, which technically means : I am new at this and at this stage I need advice, not sarcastic opinion.  If you don't have an answer then just keep quiet
Activity: 2
Can you give a little help for a newbie?  I am wondering if I have a dodgy stick or I'm maybe doing something wrong....

I've set up a RPI 3 with a *good* quality powered USB hub.  I finally cracked installing Minera and I began mining off to my p2pool node on my server.  So far so good.  I ran at the stock 150mHz and stick 0 was rock solid no hw errors and stick 1 threw just the odd one now and then. I think I was getting around 30Gh/s between both although S0 was always a little faster than S1.

I thought I would try 200mHz and again S0 is kicking butt no errors and 22-24Gh/s.  To start with S1 was doing about 20Gh/s but now throwing roughly 1 hw error a second. I had a browse through here and spotted the requirement to up the voltage so added about 1/8th turn clockwise on both regulators (with everything powered off - not sure if that matters but I didn't want to blow anything).  S0 was still rock solid and S1 now settled down - speeds stayed about the same with S0 about 10% up on S1 but the hardware errors dropped down to an occasional 1 which I figured was okay.  They were running like that for a good few hours by a cold open window in a steady draft and although hot to touch were not burning.  The system temp in Minera says 'It's cool here' although I guess that's the PI not the 2PACs.

Everything was good until I had to power down everything to move all the cables having got to a steady running state, or so I thought.  On power up, both sticks' green lights came on, the white light flashed once then they sat there.  Minera came up and reported the 2 sticks, but 0Mh/s and no more flashing white lights.  I tried the restart miner option but on doing this both disappeared from the list of local miners!  I tried all sorts - powered the whole rig off and on again, re-ran all of the installation steps to build the miners, tried different USB ports, proved the hub was working running the mouse through it, all sorts.  I was contemplating trying a PC USB port and turned off the power for the hub ports (you can do this in different banks) then thought of checking something else first so turned them on again and bugger me the sticks started flashing white!  A quick refresh on Minera and there they were.  S0 happily flashing away and reporting 22Gh/s but S1 flashed a few times then stopped.  Initially it reported about 8Gh/s but that went stale.  I tried power off and on again for just S1 and it flashed a couple of times and reported a few hundred Mh/s but again stopped flashing and went stale.  I tried restart miner again and S1 has disappeared although S0 is still running 22Gh/s and is fine.

Do you think S1 has died?  Have I done something wrong or is there anything I can do to test it or resurrect it?  I would hate to think on its first day out of the box that it has died on me already.

Many thanks in advance for reading and for any advice.
Cheers,
JM
legendary
Activity: 3346
Merit: 1858
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
Is SHA3 mathematically identical to Bitcoin's algorithm?

That wert, art and evermore shall be the answer to every question of the form "Can you mine xxx with this?" And henceforth that question will never again be answered except in this extremely sarcastic manner.
Activity: 28
Can you mine SHA3 with the Gekko or is it only limited to SHA ?

Activity: 1176
Merit: 111
And knowledge is power!

Also you're talking $.05 in today's money. If bitcoin goes up 100x in 5-10 years, you will have been making $5/day.

0.015 BTC minimum payout from a pool... $0.05 today gonna take 5 years and 9 months. Better keep mining for 5 years and 9 months! Wink
Activity: 3
And knowledge is power!

Also you're talking $.05 in today's money. If bitcoin goes up 100x in 5-10 years, you will have been making $5/day.
Activity: 1176
Merit: 111
Well that's good. The options were either some kind of multipool or some kind of scam, good to know it's the former.

You can also exchange Bitcoin for other coins easily with ShapeShift (https://shapeshift.io/#/coins). Some guy has customized CoinHive Javascript to point to a different XMR pool, then let's you exchange XMR to BTC or other altcoin. If I spent $100 for three 2Pac, make $0.05 a day... it'll take me about 5 years to break even before electricity. We are doing this for fun and to learn, right?
Activity: 20
Okay well it's recognizing it then. Do you have a means of gauging how much power it draws from the USB port when it's plugged in? Should pull 1.8W to start; if it's only drawing ~30mA there's an issue with the main regulator, and ~50mA it's probably a string reset issue - which has a variety of potential causes.

The only time I see "failed usb_init" is before I put the product string and serial number on the CP2102, or if a stick is plugged in at the wrong time in the detection cycle (but it's then properly detected on the next one).
Alright, I inserted the device into a different Windows machine - and it initialized. So, the prob must be with my win7 machine. I'm building a second rig anyway, so I'll just try to run the 2pac with that one. Thanks for your help, though!
legendary
Well that's good. The options were either some kind of multipool or some kind of scam, good to know it's the former.
Activity: 12

FYI - I stumbled across a way to use a GekkoScience to mine for X11 and Scrypt currencies!   I am using it right now to mine for Monero.  But you can mine for others too!!

https://youtu.be/kR_Fcn21t3k

If you create a new account, please consider using my referral code:

https://www.eobot.com/[email protected]

BONUS:  I love how I can see the constant flow of coin into my account!!  Wow!

[Sidehack - fyi]     

Obviously I'm not that clever.     

Now that I'm more awake and have my second cup of coffee in me, I can see that the website mines for bitcoin and instantly converts it the currency of your choice.     But it's still pretty cool in my book!    Watch the monera pour in, in real time in the video (with just one GekkoSci Pac2).   Sure it's fractions of a penny, but it still constantly pours!!      And free coin every day?    ... bonus!   
legendary
The stick has a 10K pot on it, which gives you about 1.2 to 1.6 volts. The buck driver is good up to 2V and if you can supply it with enough power without ruining the USB jack, the circuit should output up to 17A.
Activity: 111
Merit: 10
I gave him an F not for not understanding the formula, but for sucking at algebra. Dropping variables, losing signs, not terribly encouraging.
It´s fine. And you´re right. What confused me was the "V". In electrotechniques, as I think you will know, it stands for Voltage. So first I thought you mean 9.8 Volt by 9.8V.
But now I´m curiuos. What voltage range is possible? I think the maximum is 3.3V, right? What´s the minimum? Do you calculate with 0?
legendary
Cool, you created new ASICs built for other algorithms and made them both signal- and pin-compatible with the BM1384 and then swapped them onto the stick and got it working? I bet that was difficult.
legendary
I gave him an F not for not understanding the formula, but for sucking at algebra. Dropping variables, losing signs, not terribly encouraging.

If you want to know what Resistance sets a particular Voltage, you wind up with R as a function of V. So the formula was R as a function of V. That's 8th grade level stuff. It's part of my character to not do people's homework for them; if you ask me for help I'll help you but I won't do all the work for you.
Activity: 111
Merit: 10
For what it´s worth, I didn´t understand the formular either. And I´m a certified electrical engineer. Cheesy
Thanks for making it clear xhomerx10.
legendary
legendary
Activity: 3808
Merit: 7912
R=(9.8V-12.4)/(2-V)

so   :  ( 9.8 - 12.4) / (2 - 1.26)  =  2.6 / 0.74  = 3.5 ohm  that's it or   9.8 / 0.74 = 13 ohm

Pick a voltage ie 1.5 and substitute for V;

R=(9.8V-12.4)/(2-V)

R=(9.8(1.5)-12.4)/(2 -(1.5))

R=4.6 kΩ

Did I pass?

legendary
My inner teacher says, "F".

Also I forgot to specify, this gives the answer in Kohm. But that doesn't change your grade.
Activity: 16
R=(9.8V-12.4)/(2-V)

so   :  ( 9.8 - 12.4) / (2 - 1.26)  =  2.6 / 0.74  = 3.5 ohm  that's it or   9.8 / 0.74 = 13 ohm
legendary
R=(9.8V-12.4)/(2-V)
Pages:
Jump to: