Pages:
Author

Topic: GekkoScience 2Pac/Compac BM1384 Stickminer Official Support Thread - page 78. (Read 177300 times)

Activity: 322
Merit: 250
Hey Jingles,

Well, some of what you asked is in the first post and READMEs. But quickly:

Zadig: is the only driver you can use. Windows chooses the wrong one.

Pools: this is a hobby. You aren't likely ever to make any money on sticks. However, if you mine solo, you *may* hit the jackpot and get 12.5 BTC for yourself. The odds are weak, but (and I haven't checked this) probably better than Lotto or Big Ball and trillions have been "invested" into that. If you mine mmpool, for example, and someone hits, it's small so you may make a bit of money there, too. Some (many, most?) of the stickminers point to mmpool.org for the fun and camaraderie.  Overall, run the numbers or read around, stick mining is just for fun and to learn. In my case, my nephew has stickminers pointed to mmpool and an old S3+ pointed to ckpool.

If you can use the word "marginally" as you did in your post, you can truly learn how small a margin can be with stick miners. HA! Similarly, you mentioned "significance" "worthwhile", and "productivity"; the most honest answer is that they aren't significant, worthwhile, or productive unless you enjoy them as a hobby that may, someday, make you a few bucks. Hell, donate whatever dust you make to the sidehack's friend's medical bills: https://www.gofundme.com/lauras-eating-disorder-recovery and along with generating some heat for your home this winter, you've done a good thing. Your best bet for "optimal" is to get the sticks tuned so that they run as efficiently as possible as at high a frequency as possible at as low a voltage as possible without throwing many hardware errors.

Frequency: First post. For example:

Code:
cgminer.exe -o stratum+tcp://pool.ckpool.org:3333 -u 1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr -p x --suggest-diff 32 --gekko-2pac-freq 150

See that tag at the end? There is a chart, in the first post under expected performance, Vcore/Freq. that will give you some idea what you can do.

Work Reports: I don't have time to explain, but that miner isn't likely set up correctly.

Gotta go, but seriously, read the first post carefully, skipping all the linux stuff and the README in detail.

Best of luck!
Activity: 9
Merit: 0
Hey guys!

Total noob here but thanks to reading your forums I have managed to learn a heap since my first GekkoScience 2pac BM1384 stickminer arrived a week ago!

I have quite a few questions, please bear with me as I still have a lot to learn, so I'm a bit clumsy. 

Firstly I was curious about pools.  I have been working with ckpool as directed. I've managed to get it working there, I am currently having issues getting work reports in CGminer that don't look right but it is still returning a hash rate and data to the pool. (I will return to this later)

I've been reading the support forum and I'm not really sure that it's the best place to be directing my resources considering with most people in the pool Th and I am only providing measly 10-11Gh/s at this rate to the pool. I would like to support Ckpool (ck seems like a really cool dude and I don't understand why the pool isn't more popular) but I'm not sure how helpful my contribution is at this point. (Still it's surely better to be doing something rather than nothing at all?)

I am wondering if there are other pools that would be even marginally more productive for a small miner while I am learning until I am at a point where my contribution to Ckpool is significant? I have had people tell me to direct my stickminer to nicehash but I am still trying to figure out if it is possible let alone how to do that. I also had some one who directed me to ck solo pool, I am unsure is this different to the Ckpool that people are suggested to use when setting up their up stickminer, if so could someone please explain the difference between them?
Is there a forum somewhere that discusses the pros and cons of various pools for these devices? (I think I have a basic understanding how pools work but I'm not confident in my knowledge any guidance would be appreciated!)

I was also wondering if Zadig was the only option available to source the driver required for the stickminer?

Next of all I would like to go back to the issue I raised earlier about the work reports in CGminer that don't appear to be coming up correctly. I'm not sure if it is working and if it is not what I have to do to resolve the issue to get what I believe to be the correct work reports to display: 

([time stamp] Accepted (code) Diff (number)/32 GSD 0)

Instead I am getting work reports that read:

COMPAC-2 100.00MHz (7/154/390/0)(3s):12.53G (avg):10.83Gh/s | A:0 R:0 HW:0 WU:151.3/m
 [2017-09-12 00:37:21.199] (3s):12.53G (1m):11.25G (5m):7.614G (15m):3.520G (avg):10.82Gh/s
 [2017-09-12 00:37:21.841] Device reported nonce: 88dbda1c @ 8c
 [2017-09-12 00:37:21.841] GSD 0: Share above target
 [2017-09-12 00:37:22.632] Device reported nonce: 002a8633 @ 91
 [2017-09-12 00:37:22.632] GSD 0: Share above target
 [2017-09-12 00:37:23.891] Device reported nonce: 2d279c19 @ 98
 [2017-09-12 00:37:23.891] GSD 0: Share above target
 [2017-09-12 00:37:24.096] Device reported nonce: bc26db73 @ 99
 [2017-09-12 00:37:24.096] GSD 0: Share above target
 [2017-09-12 00:37:24.111] GSD 0 COMPAC-2 100.00MHz (7/154/390/0)(3s):12.82G (avg):10.83Gh/s | A:0 R:0 HW:0 WU:151.3/m
 [2017-09-12 00:37:24.111] (3s):12.82G (1m):11.28G (5m):7.655G (15m):3.547G (avg):10.82Gh/s

I've manage to successfully get what I believe to be the correct work reports to come up twice so far but tbh I'm not sure what I did (if anything) to get a different result.
None the less I mostly appear to be getting these work reports.  It still appears to be sending a hash rate to the pool and the level of derp changes in the user pool statistics but I'm not confident it is working as it should be.

I have also have this come upon this in work reports in the past, it's not an issue now but I was wondering what could be the cause of it and how to remedy the issue should it arise again:

[2017-09-09 14:49:39.075] USB init, open device failed, err -3, you don't have privilege to access - BSC device 2:6
 [2017-09-09 14:49:39.079] See README file included for help
 [2017-09-09 14:49:39.083] GekkoScience detect (2:6) failed to initialise (incorrect device?), resetting
 [2017-09-09 14:49:39.085] failed usb_init

I currently have the single USB operating through a 4 port 5v Powered 3.0 USB hub, running the prebuilt CGminer program on a 64-bit windows 10 OS via a Dell Latitude i5-2520M @ 2.50 GHz with 8GB of ram. I am getting about 10-11 GH/s at 100MHz freq (I'm not sure how to adjust frequency) 
(I am not sure how much of this information is relevant but better have it and not need it than need it and not have it right?)

I am not expecting to make much of a muchness out of the one but I do want to invest more in the future as I slowly get more of an idea what I'm doing, I don't expect to ever be a seriously large contributor either but I still see being a small player (particularly in the early stages) over the long term to be worthwhile.

I have seen that there are people running multiple sticks and was curious at what number of sticks did people find that it was producing a high enough hash rate that it was of any significance to them?   

Is this also dependent on which pool you are in?

In people's experience does the operating system or program that you are using have any effect on productivity?

What (if any) factors are there to consider in relation to productivity of these devices?

Is the suggested set up considered the optimal set up (operating system/programs/ pool) for these devices?

I apologise for the lengthy post, I know I am asking a lot, being so new I have many questions, any helpful insight/guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to read!  Smiley
Activity: 7
So what I see is this

cd /var/www/minera/minera-bin/src

mkdir -p git/vthoang; cd git/vthoang

git clone https://github.com/vthoang/cgminer.git

cd cgminer

CFLAGS="-O2" ./autogen.sh --enable-gekko

make -j 2

cp cgminer /var/www/minera/minera-bin/custom/cgminer-vthoang

cd /var/www/minera/minera-bin/custom

Which is what I used initially BUT SOMEONE SAID TO ADD this line of code

cp cgminer /var/www/minera/minera-bin/custom/cgminer-gekko

But where does this last line of code go when I enter it into the terminal in miner it says no is there a special way to enter it?
Activity: 322
Checkout Biodom's post https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.17678108 on where to measure the voltage.

You can use one of these guys to measure power-draw

Search ebay/aliexpress for "usb voltmeter amperemeter/ammeter"

Edit: Forgot to mention, vcore of about 1.5V should get you close or slightly above 300Mhz but you'll need proper cooling, that's for sure. These guys get very hot.

Speaking of which, does anyone have a particular meter or seller they would recommend, with the case and screen similar the picture above?

I just looked and there are about 500 available on eBay running from about $0.01 to about $20. I don't mind paying a little extra for quality or a bell or a whistle, but that price range presents a lot of options.

EDIT: While I'm asking, any recommendations for a decent multimeter as well? Billions to choose from.

Thanks!

You know, I was out, really out, and then my dang nephew badgered me into learnding him this stuff, and so, here I am. Again. However, I am very glad that he is interested in something like this!
legendary
Activity: 3346
Merit: 1858
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
Have you tried the search function? Minera has been covered at least three times already, and once in the last week.
Can anyone help with with a stable way to use gekko 2pak in minera I'm not too good with coding and I've tried a few things and can't seem to figure it out any help or direction would be helpful and if any of you could tell me how to run it that would be great
Activity: 2
Many thanks Philip ...what you say makes perfect sense and even explains some of the other little symptoms/problems which I never got around to mentioning in my post Smiley
What coding do I use to use these through CGminer?
legendary
Activity: 4242
Merit: 8515
'The right to privacy matters'
waste of time you simply don't need it

EXTRONANCE  on a tiny little miner  may not ever work correctly .

you are renting your miner on nice hash.

so some  one get point it to any  pool that does sha 256.

look at this post

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.21692224

and the post after it.

your 2 sticks are only 22-32gh

so any time you switch(since you are renting  the renter does the switch not you) to a pool  with  64 gh diff and back to a pool with 8 gh diff

you get conflicts with nicehash min diff number of 65gh

so what happens you could freeze or crash I now point my sticks to mmpool and hop for a lucky hit.

Activity: 2
Possibly running into an EXTRONANCE subscription problem with combination of:- CGminer + Nicehash + 2PAC

Hello all,
This is a noob question mostly directed at "philipma1957" ...however, anyone else is more than welcome to comment.
Philipma1957, on page 11, post #213 (of this thread), you mentioned that you were running CGminer + Nicehash + a couple of 2PACs, etc.

This is pretty-much everything I'm desperately trying to achieve - however I seem to be running into a problem with correctly configuring my CGminer .bat file with the inclusion of the "xnsub" extronance suffix in the URL.
ie. Ive tried many variations of the .bat command line, however I eventually settled on this:-
"cgminer.exe -o stratum+tcp://sha256.eu.nicehash.com:3334#xnsub -u 3JgCy49LatQgGiZj4qc1s5mJ6ynCUNdNgq.WORKER-NAME:worker1 -p x"
However, running this reports the following error when I start CGminer:- "Failed to resolve (?wrong URL)"

Strangely enough, when I change the above line to add the "/" before the "#xnsu" suffix (as per Nicehash's, "BFGminer" .bat config recommendation), CGminer then starts reporting that it has successfully connected to the Nicehash pool - in addition to this, my 2PAC starts flashing away merrily as if its making me a fortune (at 10-14Gh/S) and Nicehash reports one worker is active ...but no stats become available and bitcoins are never accumulated/given (as they do when running my vastly inferior GPU setup) .

FYI, I am running the latest pre-compiled (.exe) version of CGMiner for Windows (v4.10.0), which I downloaded from the first page of this thread.

In summary, would it be possible for someone who is successfully running the combination of CGminer + Nicehash + 2PAC, to copy/paste their .bat file command line - which I can then at least try.
...or failing that, I'd even be willing to settle for some REALLY SIMPLE, "noob" advice Wink

PS. Ive also just started dabbling with setting up a local stratum server (to hopefully circumvent the #xnsub (extronance) problem)  ...but so far, even though I've managed to successfully launch it and see it report a stable connection to the Nicehash pool - I have not been able to get my CGminer/2PAC to run/link through it.
Activity: 479
https://streamies.io/
Or search around, because there are entire threads here dedicated to discussing the best hubs for these.
I did yesterday and I found one.... 2 min later my 3yr old reseted my computer and now I can't find the damm thread.
Top of page 2 Now that usb sticks are being sold by sidehack here is a new usb hub thread
thank for share this information. I'm looking for some usb hub
Are you plugging the miners directly into the Pi's USB ports, or are you using a separate powered hub?

Have you considered the amount of power the sticks draw?

I have try without and it stopped mining after few minutes, I just used a powered USB hub and everything is fine now,
(no additional parameters regarding the frequency), 10.5gH in average
Activity: 14
Or search around, because there are entire threads here dedicated to discussing the best hubs for these.
I did yesterday and I found one.... 2 min later my 3yr old reseted my computer and now I can't find the damm thread.
Top of page 2 Now that usb sticks are being sold by sidehack here is a new usb hub thread

Thank you so much.

This is exactly the one I was on before the reset.

legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 2667
Evil beware: We have waffles!

legendary
Activity: 3346
Merit: 1858
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
A RPi3 does not provide enough power to USB for a 2PAC. Get a Powered Hub.

Where can I get a good/great one??
open to suggestions.

Amazon/Ebay links are welcome
legendary
Well for a start, ask in the Minera Software Thread about it. Probably have to load vh's version and have Minera call it as an external miner of sort so the custom driver is used.
and -- is Minera using vh's CGminer fork that provides the needed driver?

Being very honest, I don't know.
I downloaded Minera from their website and I believe it's the most recent version of it, no mods done to it by me.

the youtube video I followed was this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQndxAfk-hM

Any help will be more than welcome.
legendary
ref 1st few pages of this thread. Power charts are there somewhere.
Pages:
Jump to: