Pages:
Author

Topic: GekkoScience has a new stickminer that does 300+GH - page 13. (Read 22193 times)

Activity: 882
Merit: 5818
not your keys, not your coins!
I have tried different USB cords/sticks configurations etc....it must be some kind of USB restriction?
Can you please help me with this?
I'm sorry I can't help with this; I can answer your second question.

As a side question what's the minimum USB voltage they need to run?
I know there is a voltage pod, so theoretically I can even run them at 4.3V (at the hub side) if my voltage at the chip would be ~1,45V correct?
The buck converter circuit should give you a stable output, as long as the input is in a relatively normal range. I've seen 5V USB devices running on anywhere between 4.7 to 5.1V normally, but it's possible that 4.3 could suffice. Do note that the potentiometer doesn't affect your input voltage (5V side) but just the core voltage; so it's possible that other components such as the FTDI chip will stop working even though the core is happy. 

The only problem I see is my hub shows 5.2V when NOT hashing and sticks starting up and if I adjust the screw, until I'm at 1.45V DURIUNG mining for sticks stability, it could possibly go way above the 1,45V at the INITIAL stage of mining, when sticks are just starting up and not hashing yet, would that be a problem?
I don't think 5.2V is too much out of the ordinary, but I'd be careful of having voltages on the core of 'way above 1.45V' (how much is 'way above'?).

Another side question - what file is a config file for current version of cgminer? I have used the save option during mining and now it looks like no mater what options I run the miner with it will run with the saved ones, I looked in the cgminer folder and there are tons of various config files. I assume if I delete the config file it will revert to default settings?
It takes the config file if you specify it. I.e.: run it with the -c or --config parameter and pass the config file's path.
The contents should look something like this:
Code:
{
"pools" : [
{
"url" : "stratum+tcp://stratum.kano.is:3333",
"user" : "username.worker1",
"pass" : "x"
}
],

"failover-only" : true,
"api-listen" : true,
"api-port" : "4028",
"api-allow" : "W:192.168.1.0/24,W:127.0.0.1"
}
Just input the information that you'd otherwise pass by command line args into that file. Then you can run it simply with ./cgminer -c example.conf.
Activity: 9
Merit: 5
Everything's tested for hitting at least 220GH at 400MHz across 24 hours before it ships. Peformance beyond that is expected but not guaranteed.

Weird they're underperforming at 400. Have you any kind of meter with which you can read the core voltage? Factory is 1.48V from the USB jack to the marked side of the block in the top half center with the stick plugged in but not hashing.

Hi, I'm new to the forum, but not to hardware and mining.
I have:
 - 18 of Compac-F sticks.
 - 2 x 30 port industrial USB hubs with 300W PSU (60A/5v) each, so plenty of power. (600W or 120A/5V)
 - Each hub has 15 ports that run on single USB (2.0) cord, 2 cords per hub, so I have 4 cords (but have been plugging in the second cord into the other side, so I only run 2)
I have measured the consumption/voltage on the sticks and they go up to ~3A/4.8V per stick at 500Mhz @ ~ 320Gh/s

The PROBLEM is that I cannot run all 18 of them at once on my Raspberry Pi 4 (with the latest cgminer, your version)
I ruled out that PI is a problem. It can run 10 or even all on ONE (either) hub with no problem (I run 9/9 these need spacing for cooling, plus even with this much PSU power hub goes down to 4.3V with 16 sticks in),
but when I plug in the second hub, cgminer only sees 9-13 sticks max. PI CPU doesn't go over 60%, memory consumption is low too, so its has something to do with USB?

I have tried different USB cords/sticks configurations etc....it must be some kind of USB restriction?

Can you please help me with this?

As a side question what's the minimum USB voltage they need to run?
I know there is a voltage pod, so theoretically I can even run them at 4.3V (at the hub side) if my voltage at the chip would be ~1,45V correct?
The only problem I see is my hub shows 5.2V when NOT hashing and sticks starting up and if I adjust the screw, until I'm at 1.45V DURIUNG mining for sticks stability, it could possibly go way above the 1,45V at the INITIAL stage of mining, when sticks are just starting up and not hashing yet, would that be a problem?

Another side question - what file is a config file for current version of cgminer? I have used the save option during mining and now it looks like no mater what options I run the miner with it will run with the saved ones, I looked in the cgminer folder and there are tons of various config files. I assume if I delete the config file it will revert to default settings?
legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
Yeah we had to swap packages on the USB, and do a whole redesign of the main regulator. There've actually been three different versions of the Compac F so far, depending on what parts we could get ahold of. That also pushed the hub redesign, which I had been needing to do anyway.
Activity: 212
Merit: 241
bitaxe.org
From the pictures on AltairTech.io it looks like you found some substitutions for the buck controller and the usb-serial chips; nice! This chip shortage sure has been a pain.
copper member
Activity: 76
Merit: 72
At AltairTech.io we recently started carrying GekkoScience products.
You can find them here https://altairtech.io/product-category/miners/gekkoscience/
Right now we have limited stock purchased from sidehack, but we plan to purchase more of these for retail sales as they become available.
The pictures shown are of the actual product.
Everything ships from our St. Louis, MO location within 24 hours of order.
legendary
Merch, 419 and ASICPuppy hsve received stock of the new hubs.
legendary
Activity: 3122
Merit: 7618
Crypto Swap Exchange
https://bitcoinmerch.com/products/gekkoscience-8-port-usb-hub-2-0

This gets the new one. They haven't updated the description or pics.
Right, so they show details for the previous hub and also falsely claim you can put 8 miners in it,
and supposedly are nice enough to send you the latest model, and they can't update their website for a number of days?

Wow - that's a worry.
Do you provide a guarantee with your statement? Smiley

i think we should wait for the official statement from sidehack. after all, he will know best when and in which stores the new gekko usb hub will be available.
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

Right, so they show details for the previous hub and also falsely claim you can put 8 miners in it,
and supposedly are nice enough to send you the latest model, and they can't update their website for a number of days?

Wow - that's a worry.
Do you provide a guarantee with your statement? Smiley
Activity: 7
Merit: 1

legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
Yes they are. I got mine from Bitcoinmerch.

can not find this there... Roll Eyes
do you have maybe a link to it?
Yes they are. I got mine from Bitcoinmerch.
legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
These new gekko hubs are working great. I've been running 4 compac f on one hub at 525mhz for the last 24 hours getting 340gh per stick. Great hub, I just ordered another.

are the new hubs already available?
and if so, in which store exactly?
These new gekko hubs are working great. I've been running 4 compac f on one hub at 525mhz for the last 24 hours getting 340gh per stick. Great hub, I just ordered another.
Activity: 100
Merit: 6
cygan the answer to your question was on page 8 of this thread but I've reposted it here for you

that's the spot to measure with a voltmeter
should be close to 1.45v
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
That's what the USB port is supposed to read, yes. But what about the core voltage, measured as described?

how and exactly do i measure the core voltage again with the usb meter? Tongue
on the usb hub i see only these 8 usb ports...
Also make sure you run it for at least a couple of hours before reading the hash rate on cgminer.
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506
Evil beware: We have waffles!
Vcore is set by the regulator on the stick. It has nothing to do with what the stick itself is fed (5v from the hub).
Kinda hard to see in that picture but the flat side of that very tiny pot on the right side of the stick looks to be in the wrong spot. As I recall it is usually lined up with the long side of the stick...

Vcore can be measured on the back side of the stick, opposite where the chip is on the other side.
legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
That's what the USB port is supposed to read, yes. But what about the core voltage, measured as described?

how and exactly do i measure the core voltage again with the usb meter? Tongue
on the usb hub i see only these 8 usb ports...
legendary
legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
Everything's tested for hitting at least 220GH at 400MHz across 24 hours before it ships. Peformance beyond that is expected but not guaranteed.

Weird they're underperforming at 400. Have you any kind of meter with which you can read the core voltage? Factory is 1.48V from the USB jack to the marked side of the block in the top half center with the stick plugged in but not hashing.

all my 8 usb ports on the usb hub have a voltage of 5.0v (without hashing)

Activity: 980
Merit: 957
If you are messing with the voltage pot without having the usb power meter in on a stick already having issues you are basically shooting in the dark.  I’ve seen people try to tell you that you can do it without it, but again it doesn’t always work.

And Sidehack is right they test for 24hr and every one of mine has been fine at 400mhz from the day I got them.  Some did get finicky as I went higher, hince why I literally have hours tuning every single stick individually to run them where they are today at 575mhz.

Also what are you using for cooling?  The fan you maybe using may not be enough especially if you have tweaked the voltage and it’s now too high.  I’ve had some that even slight adjustments went to stupid amounts fast and they would get INCREDIBLY hot.

Also what is your start script like what voltage do you have them ramp up from?

Yeah, the temperature change is huge when you increase the frequency.

I've tested them at 200MHz and I think it might even be possible to run at that frequency with no fans, the heatsink is just a bit warm as in you can keep touching it. They only do about 100GH/s at that frequency though.

Then I tested it at around 400MHz and it definitely needed a fan, you can still touch the heatsink but you can't really keep your hands there.

I can imagine that going 500+MHz would make it like lava, and probably you would need a special USB hub at those freqs plus a really good fan.
Pages:
Jump to: