Pages:
Author

Topic: GekkoScience has a new stickminer that does 300+GH - page 11. (Read 22193 times)

legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
I've also experienced this actually. Recently ordered 6 more sticks (V.34) and 2 of them show no sign of life when put in the usb tester. The same tester that runs perfectly fine with the all of the sticks from 2021 (v8.1) and most of the new ones. So it's definitely not the usb tester.
Sorry, it definitely is the USB tester's fault.

They probably have some low level support for current and only just survives with the older fractionally lower current value.

There is no difference in the old and new miner at the USB connector, other than how much power that it uses is fractionally higher.
Activity: 9
Merit: 0
Hi guys can anyone help me? It is difficult to come up with an answer to this problem.

I have the compacF v8.2 that works with usb meter, but I received new ones on v8.31 and they don't work with the usb meter, it doesn't receive power.

Has anyone gone through this with the new compacF?

sidehack, can you help?

I've also experienced this actually. Recently ordered 6 more sticks (V.34) and 2 of them show no sign of life when put in the usb tester. The same tester that runs perfectly fine with the all of the sticks from 2021 (v8.1) and most of the new ones. So it's definitely not the usb tester.
legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
Probably every USB meter except the one you're using, given yours is the first time I've heard of one not working. There was no change to the USB hardware in the last year or so that would affect physical interfacing.
Activity: 28
The two are effectively exactly the same but for one difference, a slightly higher pot voltage setting on the newer ones.

Yes and because of this configuration the usb meter does not work?
Would there be a model of usb meter that has already been tested in the new version?
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
The two are effectively exactly the same but for one difference, a slightly higher pot voltage setting on the newer ones.
Hi guys can anyone help me? It is difficult to come up with an answer to this problem.

I have the compacF v8.2 that works with usb meter, but I received new ones on v8.31 and they don't work with the usb meter, it doesn't receive power.

Has anyone gone through this with the new compacF?

sidehack, can you help?
Activity: 582
Merit: 149
Hey guys, hoping someone can help me here. I am new to solo mining, and just bought a GekkoScience Compac F and it seems to work for about 10 minutes then stops responding. It becomes too hot to touch within that time. I am using a Raspberry PI 3+ and this USB hub https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y9DJ84Q?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I am running this command to do my solo mining:

sudo cgminer -o stratum+tcp://solo.ckpool.org:3333 -u 3Eq8fUzHA8bgiKQ7ciPgq1PQBUVS5nEi41 -p x --gekko-compacf-freq 400 --gekko-start-freq 375 --gekko-tune-up 85 --gekko-mine2 --gekko-tune2 60

I have watched videos of other people running the Compact F without any cooling.

Any advise would be greatly appricated.

In my experience you must cool these sticks if you want them to perform.

I use these: https://bitcoinmerch.com/products/bitcoin-merch-gekkoscience-newpac-usb-fan-upgrade

And these: https://bitcoinmerch.com/products/arctic-breeze-mobile-mini-usb-desktop-fan-with-flexible-neck-i-portable-desk-fan-for-home-office-silent-usb-fan-fan-speed-1700-rpm-white
copper member
Activity: 76
Merit: 72
Did you set up some type of active cooling to cool the heatsink? Its pretty much required with these devices.
Activity: 1
Hey guys, hoping someone can help me here. I am new to solo mining, and just bought a GekkoScience Compac F and it seems to work for about 10 minutes then stops responding. It becomes too hot to touch within that time. I am using a Raspberry PI 3+ and this USB hub https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y9DJ84Q?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I am running this command to do my solo mining:

sudo cgminer -o stratum+tcp://solo.ckpool.org:3333 -u 3Eq8fUzHA8bgiKQ7ciPgq1PQBUVS5nEi41 -p x --gekko-compacf-freq 400 --gekko-start-freq 375 --gekko-tune-up 85 --gekko-mine2 --gekko-tune2 60

I have watched videos of other people running the Compact F without any cooling.

Any advise would be greatly appricated.
Activity: 882
Merit: 5818
not your keys, not your coins!
~
Did you measure current draw or core voltage at any point? What about cooling?
It's possible that this one came with a higher core voltage == higher temps and your existing cooling setup just didn't cut it.
joz
Merit: 1
I had 2 Compac-F's and everything was going fine.  I ordered one more (419 mining), added it to the mix (each on an independent gekko usb hub section), and it ran up to just about expected speed, then it started dropping to very low hash, followed by zombie.  I went to unplug it and the entire PCB was too hot to touch, had to hot-potato it from the USB-plug end.  Never had this experience with my other F's.  I unplugged all the miners and just plugged this one in by itself.  Same thing happened.  The bad news is is that it appears to have taken the gekko hub port-pair with it.  Now when I plug a working F into either pair, the light doesn't stay on.  If I pull on the miner (as in beginning to take it out) the light stays on, but as soon as I release pressure it turns off.

What recourse do I have here?
Remember, on the old hubs the current limit per-pair of ports is 6A and each pair used their own (6A) regulator. My F running at 575 pulls 2.9-3A so only one per port pair. If you were running just 1 stick *something* overloaded that regulator feeding the ports...
I run mine at 580 and I have had several of the older hubs sh!t the bed (About 4 to be exact).

since one of my two usb hubs is now not completely functional and i can therefore not continue to use my compac f stick i wanted to ask the round if the new version of the gekko usb hubs are available for purchase and if so, with which distributors?

BitcoinMerch has the newest ones.
legendary
Activity: 3122
Merit: 7618
Crypto Swap Exchange
today an usb hub pair (4-5) on one of my gekko hubs died and the two ports have no voltage anymore Tongue
on each of the two ports 1 gekkosience compac f (580mhz) stick and the corresponding fan were connected Undecided

I've had the same experience twice already..  seems to happen when the sticks are running at 500+ mhz.

The usb port just goes dead but the stick will keep working fine in a different port. I assume it has something to do with the amperage. I keep them around 425-475 Mhz now and they seem to be happier with that
Remember, on the old hubs the current limit per-pair of ports is 6A and each pair used their own (6A) regulator. My F running at 575 pulls 2.9-3A so only one per port pair. If you were running just 1 stick *something* overloaded that regulator feeding the ports...

since one of my two usb hubs is now not completely functional and i can therefore not continue to use my compac f stick i wanted to ask the round if the new version of the gekko usb hubs are available for purchase and if so, with which distributors?
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506
Evil beware: We have waffles!
today an usb hub pair (4-5) on one of my gekko hubs died and the two ports have no voltage anymore Tongue
on each of the two ports 1 gekkosience compac f (580mhz) stick and the corresponding fan were connected Undecided

I've had the same experience twice already..  seems to happen when the sticks are running at 500+ mhz.

The usb port just goes dead but the stick will keep working fine in a different port. I assume it has something to do with the amperage. I keep them around 425-475 Mhz now and they seem to be happier with that

I've had the same experience twice already..  seems to happen when the sticks are running at 500+ mhz.

Hi Sledge,

I have 2 hubs from the old version and 2 from the new version.
Today I'm connecting the fourth hub in a daisy chain, but I would like to connect it directly to the PI4B, so it's not possible?

Sidehack in another post said that it was not advisable to use the hubs in a chain, do you know if it harms the mining or the equipment?

Thanks.

With the old hubs port D and 1 is limited to 2A total so I see no reason why port 1 couldn't be used to daisy chain a few hubs together since I certainly wouldn't recommend port 1 for mining with the Compac F's.

On old hubs I only use 3 compaF due to the current limit on the port pairs, so ports are left over.
For the new hubs I can use 4 compaF, it's great.
I followed your comment and I'm using 14 compaF on the PI4B at 525mhz, they are on average with 350gh/s each, it's going very well.
Thanks for sharing your experiences, they help me a lot.
Hi Sledge,

Today I'm connecting the fourth hub in a daisy chain, but I would like to connect it directly to the PI4B, so it's not possible?

Sidehack in another post said that it was not advisable to use the hubs in a chain, do you know if it harms the mining or the equipment?

Thanks.

With the old hubs port D and 1 is limited to 2A total so I see no reason why port 1 couldn't be used to daisy chain a few hubs together since I certainly wouldn't recommend port 1 for mining with the Compac F's.

Hello guys, can anyone use 4 gekko hubs connected directly to the PI4B?

When I connect 4 usb hub gekko on my PI4B the all usbs ports are disabled generating an error, if I keep up to 3 hubs it works normally, would there be any configuration to solve this or is it really a limitation?

When I connect the fourth gekko hub directly to any other gekko hub, the 4 hubs with 14 compacF in total work normally, they just don't work if I try to connect the 4 hubs directly to the PI4B.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

If you are using the older version of the hub, use port 1 to daisy chain a few of the hubs together. That seems to have worked for me Smiley

Hi Sledge,

Thanks.

When I connect 4 usb hub gekko on my PI4B the all usbs ports are disabled generating an error, if I keep up to 3 hubs it works normally, would there be any configuration to solve this or is it really a limitation?

When I connect the fourth gekko hub directly to any other gekko hub, the 4 hubs with 14 compacF in total work normally, they just don't work if I try to connect the 4 hubs directly to the PI4B.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

If you are using the older version of the hub, use port 1 to daisy chain a few of the hubs together. That seems to have worked for me Smiley

Can anyone help?

Thanks.
Pages:
Jump to: