Pages:
Author

Topic: GekkoScience has a new stickminer that does 300+GH - page 2. (Read 22175 times)

legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
It's a bug in gcc.
Discussed at length in the #gekko channel on my pool.

It works fine on ubuntu latest LST and latest dev ubuntu with gcc 12.3.0 (latest)

It also works fine on the previous RPiOS
However I wont use RPiOS coz the video driver is closed source and not available on ubuntu.

So just use any ubuntu - even the latest - and it works fine.
Activity: 2
Merit: 1
@RKG456
Thank you for informing me of the changes to Raspberry OS.
I will try older version and see how that works.
Respectfully,

SaburCrypro
Activity: 32
Merit: 5
@SabruCrypro I just ran into this issue a few days ago myself.  The issue appears to be the latest BookWorm Version of the Raspberry Pi OS.  Something changed. I installed the last version of the Bullseye version of Rasberry OS and the issue went away.  cgminer installed with no issues and detected my miners right away.    Kano jumped on the issue as soon as I mentioned it and verified that the RPI foundation changed something about the gcc library for that latest Bookwork Version.

If it helps I have 2 R909s, 5 Compac-Fs and 2 Newpacs so I run my cgminer like this.
sudo ./cgminer -o stratum+tcp://POOLNAME:3333 -u USERNAME -p x345 --gekko-newpac-freq 375 --gekko-compacf-freq 450 --gekko-r909-freq 600

Hello, i am having some issues with my Compac F miner form Alt-Air Tech.
I had been running cpuminer on Raspberry Pi 4 in a custom text terminal OS.
I followed the instructions on the Kano CGMiner installation here on bitcointalk.org.

How ever i get this somewhat ambiguous error right after i run " make" or "sudo make install" (neither alters the out come).
-------
/usr/bin/ld: cgminer-api.o: in function `mcast':
api.c:(.text+0xb9c): undefined reference to `__glibc__safe_or_unknown_len'
/usr/bin/ld: api.c:(.text+0xbb0): undefined reference to `__glibc_unsafe_len'
/usr/bin/ld:cgminer -api.o: in function `api':
api.c:(.text+0x9cf0): undefined reference to `__glibc_safe_or_unknown_len'
/usr/bin/ld: api.c:(.text+0x9d04): undefined reference to `__glibc_unsafe_len'
collect2: error: ld returned 1exit status
make[1]: *** [Makefile:907: cgminer] Error 1
make [1]: ***Leaving directory '/home/(my user name)/cgminer'
make: ***[Makefile:1896: install-recursive] Error 1

-------

I did re-flash SD card with standard Raspberry 64X OS and still received the same error.

Could some please help me understand why this is happening and help provide a solution.

Respectfully,

SaburCrypro
legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220
@sidehack or anyone really

Anyone had experience of the Gekkoscience USB hub slowly losing ports then just dying?

Mine started losing ports a few months back, but as I only have 3 stick miners on it I just moved them around thinking it was the miners but they worked for a while on the other ports.

Then a few weeks ago none of the ports seem to work with miners in them, the fan port still provides power, and the other ports light up the miners, but as soon as cgminer loads up it loses contact with the miners.

Its a 2019 version been running off the 6pin PSU connector all these years with no issues, then just gone.

Activity: 1
Merit: 0
Hello, I wonder if anyone can help me with this. I recently bought 4 gekko compact F and 1 of them when opened had 2 missing components (as per the pic bellow). I wonder if anyone knows which components are and where can I buy them or if they are crucial to use the gekko usb miner.

https://i.postimg.cc/3w62ttB7/g.png

Thank you
Activity: 56
Merit: 14
I doubt your laptop will provide the needed 3.1, or so, Amps.  A powered hub would be better, but most of those don't provide that much current either.  Sidehack makes his own powered hub for this purpose.  Windoze doesn't work well, most people use a Pi 4 and a GekkoScience Hub.

Make sure you have a good fan on it too.
Thank you very much for your answer.
I have the hub from the same provider BitcomMerch.com, so I hope it has enough power.
I doubt also that the laptop would have a USB 3.x, so I guess I will look for another laptop that does.
I saw a video showing how to setup the USB miner to a Raspberry Pi, however I am not so knowledgeable in that regard, so I will stay with the laptop, eventually a desktop.
I am thinking later on to purchase an antminer, and now I am just "wetting" my feet a bit to see how it goes.
Have a great day
legendary
Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090
Think for yourself
I doubt your laptop will provide the needed 3.1, or so, Amps.  A powered hub would be better, but most of those don't provide that much current either.  Sidehack makes his own powered hub for this purpose.  Windoze doesn't work well, most people use a Pi 4 and a GekkoScience Hub.

Make sure you have a good fan on it too.
Activity: 56
Merit: 14
Hi,
I am a new miner (I will receive my Gekkoscience Compac F miner tomorrow), and I was wondering if there are any minimal requirements under Windows by any chance.
I would like to plug it into a laptop running Windows 10, and I was wondering if this would be OK. I will get on Sunday also a powered USB hub to give it more power.
If you would have some advice for me, it would be grrrreat!
Thank you
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
Run 5 cgminers and set one USB device per cgminer, or select the serial of each CompacF per cgminer.
Try the README ... https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer/blob/master/README

Or as also explained in the README, if you don't have some unexpected attachment to each specific stick, use 5 connections, with balance, on one cgminer, since it really doesn't matter which USB stick finds each share.
Activity: 25
Hello Friends,

I looked through the posts, so apologies if I missed this...  I have 5 of these sticks and they're doing great.  Is there any way to have them act a separate miners / workers? 

thank you!

G
Activity: 2478
Merit: 621
What would be the best type of USB hub to purchase for power output to support these sticks? 5v/12v-3A?

Gekkoscience own hub. It was specifically designed to run these sticks.
Activity: 6
What would be the best type of USB hub to purchase for power output to support these sticks? 5v/12v-3A?
Activity: 882
Merit: 5814
not your keys, not your coins!
When hub gets loaded, voltage drops on sticks to like 4.7V, using about 3A of power. That's rining 8 sticks.
Have you tried running them individually and adding sticks until you encounter issues?

Will turning voltage pods help much or this voltage is simply too low for the chip.
What exactly is the issue you are trying to solve?

What Voltage Chip should run at? (Range?)
I can measure the voltage if you tell me where (I remember once someone posted the contact points, but won't find it now)
Voltage range is approximately 1.4 to 1.6; stock setting is 1.48
You should measure the core voltage across the single large capacitor on the opposite side of the heatsink. It's the largest component on the stick's upper half.

What I'm afraid is turning up the pod too high in offset of the future V drop.
My Initial voltage is 5.2V, I dont want to burn the chip if INITIALLY let in too much V. before the drop that will occur with load.
With less current being pulled, the voltage drop should indeed be lower, but then again with less current, the power to be dissipated will also be lower. So I wouldn't worry too much about the 'initial phase'.

Does it have thermal protection?
It does not. Do make sure to have active cooling blowing on those heatsinks.
But I don't get the connection to the frequency setting. That issue still persists, right? Without any frequency specified, they still go right up to 500?
I dropped it all together, reinstalled fresh version of RPI and cgminer. Now it listens to  me! Grin
I remember messing with system commands, somehow I set cgminer as a system command and set it with parameters.
If it was loading the config file you saved:
If you save a config file, using the default it tells you, but then don't want to use it, you gotta find it and delete it.

It will be saved in the directory of the user who ran cgminer.
If you use sudo then the user is root, not the user that typed the command.
That's what 'sudo' means.

When you pressed S+W it told you where it saved it.

Something like /root/.cgminer/cgminer.conf or /home/yourusername/.cgminer/cgminer.conf

You right, I remembered doing it this way, I ended up reinstalling the RPI and Cgminer, didn't want to spend anymore time on it at the moment.

Haven't mined for a while and finally started again, still trying to tacle the voltage drop.
Power supply is constant at 5.2V (60A supply), even loaded, which is default voltage on the hub, so it's the voltage regulating chip in the hub.
When hub gets loaded, voltage drops on sticks to like 4.7V, using about 3A of power. That's rining 8 sticks. (Same on second hub)

Will turning voltage pods help much or this voltage is simply too low for the chip.

What Voltage Chip should run at? (Range?)
I can measure the voltage if you tell me where (I remember once someone posted the contact points, but won't find it now)
What I'm afraid is turning up the pod too high in offset of the future V drop.
My Initial voltage is 5.2V, I dont want to burn the chip if INITIALLY let in too much V. before the drop that will occur with load.
Does it have thermal protection?
Activity: 71
Merit: 16
Is this website legit?

https://gekkoscience.org/

Charles-Tim, it's not likely a scam it's guaranteed to be a scam. I run GekkoScience, have since we started in 2013, and I have no idea who's running the linked site. It is 100% a scam.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.61650149

Thank you
legendary
Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090
Think for yourself
Is this website legit?

https://gekkoscience.org/

Charles-Tim, it's not likely a scam it's guaranteed to be a scam. I run GekkoScience, have since we started in 2013, and I have no idea who's running the linked site. It is 100% a scam.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.61650149
Activity: 71
Merit: 16
Activity: 2478
Merit: 621
The blue circle is the Plateau frequency. Its the frequency the stick is happy running at in its current config. The percentage is something to do with its performance. As far as I know its used to help determine if its running efficiently at the frequency its trying to reach. In Kanos cgminer you can set the “tune-down” at 80% so if the stick doesnt perform at 80% it will step down the frequency until it does. As 80% good shares is better than 100% of bad shares (so my understanding of it goes). The “xx:xx” I have never worked out.
copper member
Activity: 76
Merit: 72
Well, in your green circle the 01 means one chip and the + means it's using ASIC Boost.

Most of this is explained in this thread and/or in Kano's support page.

Thanks for answering the green circle.

I've looked through both kano's readme files and various gekkoscience threads but couldn't figure out what the other 3 that I've marked are. Would be great if someone can point me in the right direction.
I'm compiling this information to make a neat infographic that explains everything on the gekko cgminer terminal for future users.
Pages:
Jump to: