Pages:
Author

Topic: [General] Bitcoin Wallets - Which, what, why? - page 10. (Read 138961 times)

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
Best hardware wallet should ideally be Open Source, with secure element, airgapped and tested by security professionals.
But it is quite always surprising that the two most sold wallets in the world, Trezor and Ledger Nano do not possess all these characteristics.

Trezor does not have secure Electrum but including passphrase makes it perfect as salting process makes it generate new keys and addresses entirely which is different from the keys and addresses that would have been generated if no passphrase is included, this makes Trezor resistant to Kranken experimental attack which can be done only if Trezor is stolen from someone and if the thief knows about how to go about the attack. This makes Trezor to be perfect for me as it is open source by including passphrase.

Ledger Nano is both open and close source wallet, which means not everything about Ledger Nano is open source, and the only component about the wallet which is close source is the secure electrum which is responsible for seed phrase generation and storage. This makes Ledger Nano to be resistant to such physical attack that can reveal the seed phrase. But yes that the secure element being close source can result to an unknown pre-generated seedphrase that can be used against Ledger Nano owner if the Ledger company has malacious intention, but I do not think they should have malacious intention which will later be obvious to people and affect the company's integrity which can fold up the company possibly.

But above all, close source wallets should be discouraged especially any non-reputed hardware wallet that are completely close source and online wallets that are close source too because malware can be included in their source code without the public knowing about the malware.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7064
Cashback 15%
Anyone know the most popular hardware wallets of the new generation? I have been searching for a hardware wallet that is both new and reliable. I came across and was thinking of ordering Opolo Cosmos, but it's still not available. Is there anything similar that is verified?
There is no hardware wallet that can be new, verified and good, especially not Opolo wallet that is still in presale, it's like you are purchasing experimental cat in a bag.
If you are interested in hardware wallet check out few topics like LIST of Open Source Hardware Wallets and Hardware Wallets with Secure Elements to get better picture of your options.
Going exotic and checking Big List of Hardware Wallets is also an option, but I don't recommend experimenting so much with more than a crypto pocket money.
Best hardware wallet should ideally be Open Source, with secure element, airgapped and tested by security professionals.
legendary
Activity: 2254
Merit: 2852
#SWGT CERTIK Audited
Anyone know the most popular hardware wallets of the new generation? I have been searching for a hardware wallet that is both new and reliable. I came across and was thinking of ordering Opolo Cosmos, but it's still not available. Is there anything similar that is verified?
On the website, the hardware wallet can be purchase via pre-order. Even the prices on some of the sales packages are discount.

My advice, try to find valid references or reviews from users who have used the product.
One of the references I found here: https://www.forbes.com/sites/tatianakoffman/2020/09/24/best-crypto-hardware-wallets-of-2020/
Activity: 1414
Merit: 915
🇺🇦 Glory to Ukraine!
Activity: 882
Merit: 5814
not your keys, not your coins!
Most would be okay with Nano S or Trezor. It depends on what you need. If you're using it for cold storage, storing only one or two coins, don't want to spend more than $100, then Nano S is good enough. If you want bluetooth, manage your wallet with your phone, etc there is Nano X. There are dozens of HW on the market like Keepkey etc. Check out https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=261.0 for more discussion.
Imagine recommending Ledger in late 2021, after all the hacks and shit Cheesy
There are so many wallets these days, I think the real good ones are mentioned all in these threads from dkbit98 - open source and secure element are really a must-have in 2021 imho (additionally to good reputation, independent security analyses and reviews).
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.57824908

I highly encourage not just plain recommending the standard "Trezor and Ledger" how we all used to do 4 years ago. Things have changed a lot and there are better options for sure (like BitBox02) that barely cost more than the once go-to-models you mentioned and have open hardware, were not hacked and use secure elements for example.

Btw, since I mentioned it: BB02 got a revised secure element after a security flaw in the previous one was discovered (even though hard to trigger). So I think we can see the guys at Shift handled the situation super well by immediately changing all following units to the new chip. This is just an example, and I'm not an endorser of Shift Crypto, just wanted to give a concrete example of a good alternative to Ledger & Trezor additionally to just linking to the two lists that were mentioned earlier.
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 1789
Most would be okay with Nano S or Trezor. It depends on what you need. If you're using it for cold storage, storing only one or two coins, don't want to spend more than $100, then Nano S is good enough. If you want bluetooth, manage your wallet with your phone, etc there is Nano X. There are dozens of HW on the market like Keepkey etc. Check out https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=261.0 for more discussion.
Activity: 38
Merit: 0
What are the best hardware wallets that I can buy? Now I'm using the trust wallet to store my cryptos.
Not sure if this is the right thread, but is there a (tier) list of fully airgapped (imho safest option) hardware wallets?

I know so far of

You can find a list of all hardware wallets here: [BIG LIST] Hardware wallets (80+) (Ratimov deserves credit for this)
However, I do not know if it has been updated.

Not sure if this is the right thread, but is there a (tier) list of fully airgapped (imho safest option) hardware wallets?

There are several list of hardware wallets I collected before, and I am still maintaining them:
- LIST of all Open Source Hardware Wallets
- Secure Element in Hardware Wallets

Some of this hardware wallets may claim they are airgapped but they are closed source, and I would avoid using them (Ellipal and Safepal for example).
Note that Open Source, airgapped device and secure elements alone by itself doesn't make some wallet safer or better.
It should be tested by security professionals and user for some time to identify if there are any bugs and flaws in code.
Even then, hardware wallets are not perfect and you will always have tradeoffs with them.

Thanks a lot for the lists!
I agree that open source software + hardware is needed And the device being airgapped & having an (open source) secure element, is of course not a total guarantee for security, but security wise technologically (aside from bugs and flaws etc.) superior to a wallet lacking one of the features.

Let's take the Trezor without secure element: no need for a bug in the code - just read out the flash and see the keys. So in that case, even a potentially buggy secure element would still be harder than none at all.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7064
Cashback 15%

There are several list of hardware wallets I collected before, and I am still maintaining them:
- LIST of all Open Source Hardware Wallets
- Secure Element in Hardware Wallets

Some of this hardware wallets may claim they are airgapped but they are closed source, and I would avoid using them (Ellipal and Safepal for example).
Note that Open Source, airgapped device and secure elements alone by itself doesn't make some wallet safer or better.
It should be tested by security professionals and user for some time to identify if there are any bugs and flaws in code.
Even then, hardware wallets are not perfect and you will always have tradeoffs with them.

Activity: 1414
Merit: 915
🇺🇦 Glory to Ukraine!

I know so far of

You can find a list of all hardware wallets here: [BIG LIST] Hardware wallets (80+) (Ratimov deserves credit for this)
However, I do not know if it has been updated.

I know so far of
Activity: 38
What is the best BTC wallet for use?
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
    No online "wallets", that makes sense. Not comfortable with a hardware wallet because it might be stolen, lost, etc.         

A desktop/mobile software wallet, that is the deal.
    I think you are confused about what online wallets are, you meant web wallet. Web wallet are the most vulnerable wallet type, their private key are stored on a databas.

Offline wallets/Cold wallets
    • Paper wallet
    • Hardware wallet like Trezor, Ledger Nano and ColdCard
    • Wallet on airgapped devices, like Electrum cold storage wallet on airgapped device.

Online wallets/ Hot wallets
    • Web wallet
    • Mobile wallet
    • Desktop wallet

No online "wallets", that makes sense. Not comfortable with a hardware wallet because it might be stolen, lost, etc.         
    There's nothing to be uncomfortable about. A thief won't be able to access the funds without the PIN code and even you lose the device, you can always recover it using the seed phrase, the same thing you would do if you lose access to your desktop or mobile wallet.
    Litespirit, some newbies do not know all they need is their seed phrase (+passphrase if included) or private key which they can be used to regenerate back their wallet and be able to spend the Bitcoin the private key control. With the pin said by OmegaStarScream, it will be difficult or nearly impossible for the thief to get access to the wallet while if passphrase is included, it will be impossible for hackers to know the keys and address through physical attack on wallet like Trezor. Hardware wallets are one of the safest wallets so far as the private keys and seed phrase are stored offline and can never be revealed to hackers, but the passphrase which is not stored at all will make it safer for open source wallets like Trezor, while no physical attack can reveal the seed phrase on the ones that make use of secure electrum to generate the seed phrase like on Ledger Nano. Only attack that can get through is clipboard attack which is an online attack while making transaction, no private key will be revealed but recipient address can be changed to a hacker's address through this type of clipboard (and maybe QR code) malware, but it is advisable to check and recheck the address you intpued before sending, but online wallets listed above are not as safe as hardware wallet because hardware wallets are cold/offline wallet.

As much as I hate Coinbase, I have to mention they've created a non-custodial wallet [not sure when they've introduced it] that it isn't directly connected to their Coinbase app [it has a different icon as well]:
    - Despite saying the above things, I still wouldn't recommend "any" of their services.
    But one thing I do not like about Coinbase wallet (the noncustododial wallet) is that it will first bring up users to store their seed phrase on Google cloud, while seed phrase storage suppose to be stored offline for best safety because we can not trust anything stored online.

Yes, I have mentioned "Coinbase" which is different from their non-custodial wallet: "Coinbase Wallet".
    In fact, I have afew replies here in Beginners & Help differentiating the two  Wink
    Yes, you are absolutely right. But in addition, what I noticed is that people (I am not saying SFR10 is getting confused, in fact, he knows the differences between the two wallets and replied accurately) are getting confused and do not know the difference between Coinbase and Coinbase wallet, I am not certain if the wallet is open source of which I doubt, I guess it will be close source, but being a wallet of confusion makes me not to recommend it to anyone.[/list]
    legendary
    Activity: 2394
    Merit: 5531
    Self-proclaimed Genius
    "Other wallets" like Coinbase aren't in the list because those are not actually wallets but a custodial service where that company is the actual hodler of your coins.
    As much as I hate Coinbase, I have to mention they've created a non-custodial wallet [not sure when they've introduced it] that it isn't directly connected to their Coinbase app [it has a different --snip-
    Yes, I have mentioned "Coinbase" which is different from their non-custodial wallet: "Coinbase Wallet".
    In fact, I have afew replies here in Beginners & Help differentiating the two  Wink

e.g. (plus more info):
    -snip-
    Coinbase wallet app:- said to have private key(s) but is it accessible?
    -snip-
    The actual names are:
    Coinbase - Buy and sell Bitcoin (Just "Coinbase"): Their custodial wallet with simple buy and sell feature, same as the web version.
    Coinbase Pro - Bitcoin & Crypto Trading: The actual Exchange that has real exchange features.
    Coinbase Wallet - Crypto Wallet & DApp Browser: The non-custodial wallet app, just like blockchain()com's, it has no option to export private keys individually,
    the only way to export the keys is to use BIP39 compatible wallets and tools.

Confusing naming system right?
    More info: https://wallet.coinbase.com/faq/
    legendary
    Activity: 2968
    Merit: 3406
    Crypto Swap Exchange
    "Other wallets" like Coinbase aren't in the list because those are not actually wallets but a custodial service where that company is the actual hodler of your coins.
    As much as I hate Coinbase, I have to mention they've created a non-custodial wallet [not sure when they've introduced it] that it isn't directly connected to their Coinbase app [it has a different icon as well]:
    - Despite saying the above things, I still wouldn't recommend "any" of their services.

• I want to open a wallet that is relatively easy to use ant that is secure compared to other available counterparts.
      When it comes to its security, it heavily depends on how secure both of your devices are.

Update:
      Sorry, I thought you were referring to them as a single wallet/app.
    staff
    Activity: 3402
    Merit: 6065

There's nothing to be uncomfortable about. A thief won't be able to access the funds without the PIN code and even you lose the device, you can always recover it using the seed phrase, the same thing you would do if you lose access to your desktop or mobile wallet.

legendary
    Activity: 2394
    Merit: 5531
    Self-proclaimed Genius
    -snip-
    All I wanted to say is there are too many wallets to choose from, and being new to crypto, I want to open a wallet that is relatively easy to use ant that is secure compared to other available counterparts.

I remember back in the days somebody who was given bitcoin as gift so that he would use a wallet or a miner, It was a couple years back, i can't remember exactly what it was.
    Wait, so he received bitcoins first before he had a wallet? Must be a paper wallet then (https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Paper_wallet).
    But free btc to use a miner?
    The only instance where it could happen is in a fake "cloud mining scam" where the user is handed free (fake) hashrates or bitcoins to rent them in order to earn BTC which he can't withdraw.

BTW, it was a long reply because of the "free bitcoin wallet", adding "free" to it is perplexing.
    Activity: 8
    In the case of coinbase, they require the user's phone number and I find that bizarre considering the purpose of a crypto wallet. I'll try blockchain it's been around since the beginning.

It has been around since the beginning but that doesn't make it safe to use, online wallets are far from being a good choice.

Totally agreed. I didn't have the time to look at blockchain yet but since it is an online custodial service and not a real wallet, I won't bother with it. It's like a bank, might use your money as they like, including stealing it like mtgox.com.

staff
    Activity: 3402
    Merit: 6065
    In the case of coinbase, they require the user's phone number and I find that bizarre considering the purpose of a crypto wallet. I'll try blockchain it's been around since the beginning.

It has been around since the beginning but that doesn't make it safe to use, online wallets are far from being a good choice. I would just go with a hardware wallet if I were you, you can store all cryptocurrencies, and you don't have to worry about the safety of your funds. If you don't have a budget for that then Electrum for PC and Mycelium for android for BTC. For other cryptos and tokens, you've got MetaMask.
    Activity: 8
    Hi!

This wallet thing is way too confusing for a newbie like me..

One simple question: Best free BTC wallet for a beginner that works both on desktop and mobile?

Thanks in advance!

there is no good answer here. something that is best for me does not mean that it will be good for you, and vice versa.
    when I started with cryptocurrencies, nine years ago, I started with blockchain.info (now blockchain.com) and a little later with Coinbase. Both of them works on desktop and have their mobile app I think for both, android and for iOS.
    that's if it means anything to you, they've been working for years, it could be a recommendation but nothing is certain and no one will care about your money except you.

Thanks!

One simple question: Best free BTC wallet for a beginner that works both on desktop and mobile?
    There's already a list in the OP that have entries for both Android, IOS and Desktop.
    Based from what I've said above about custodial wallets, as long as both wallets contain the same private keys, they'll work simultaneously without issues even if it's not the same wallet.
    You can achieve that by restoring the wallet's backup (usually a 12/24-word phrase) to the other, but some aren't compatible.

Note: Given that you want to use it in both platforms and will contain the same keys, if one was compromised, the other will be as well.

TL;DR
    One simple answer: By looking at your other post, wallets do not contain free bitcoins even in the early days of Bitcoin,
    most wallets are free to use and I don't think there are any "pay-to-use Bitcoin wallets".
    Do an extensive research about "custodial wallets" and after you gained confidence, you can now use that wallet.
    Here's the board for wallet software where you can ask questions: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=37.0

Thank you for your thorough reply!
    All I wanted to say is there are too many wallets to choose from, and being new to crypto, I want to open a wallet that is relatively easy to use ant that is secure compared to other available counterparts.

I remember back in the days somebody who was given bitcoin as gift so that he would use a wallet or a miner, It was a couple years back, i can't remember exactly what it was.

Pages:
    Jump to: