Pages:
Author

Topic: [General] Bitcoin Wallets - Which, what, why? - page 11. (Read 138930 times)

legendary
Activity: 2338
Merit: 5297
Self-proclaimed Genius
One simple question: Best free BTC wallet for a beginner that works both on desktop and mobile?
There's already a list in the OP that have entries for both Android, IOS and Desktop.
Based from what I've said above about custodial wallets, as long as both wallets contain the same private keys, they'll work simultaneously without issues even if it's not the same wallet.
You can achieve that by restoring the wallet's backup (usually a 12/24-word phrase) to the other, but some aren't compatible.

Note: Given that you want to use it in both platforms and will contain the same keys, if one was compromised, the other will be as well.

TL;DR
One simple answer: By looking at your other post, wallets do not contain free bitcoins even in the early days of Bitcoin,
most wallets are free to use and I don't think there are any "pay-to-use Bitcoin wallets".
Do an extensive research about "custodial wallets" and after you gained confidence, you can now use that wallet.
Here's the board for wallet software where you can ask questions: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=37.0
legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 3098
Hi!

This wallet thing is way too confusing for a newbie like me..

One simple question: Best free BTC wallet for a beginner that works both on desktop and mobile?

Thanks in advance!

there is no good answer here. something that is best for me does not mean that it will be good for you, and vice versa.
when I started with cryptocurrencies, nine years ago, I started with blockchain.info (now blockchain.com) and a little later with Coinbase. Both of them works on desktop and have their mobile app I think for both, android and for iOS.
that's if it means anything to you, they've been working for years, it could be a recommendation but nothing is certain and no one will care about your money except you.
Activity: 8
Merit: 0
Hi!

This wallet thing is way too confusing for a newbie like me..

Thanks in advance!
Activity: 48
If you decide for a non-custodial wallet, make sure to write down your seed phrase and store it in a safe place. My friend lost access to his wallet once when he was a newbie to crypto. Good thing there wasn't much in that wallet.
legendary
Activity: 2338
Merit: 5297
Self-proclaimed Genius
Is there any way a password can recover if forgotten -snip-
That totally depends on the wallet,
if it's a "custodial wallet" or "custodial service", then it's their customer support or recovery page if they have one.
Example of those are: Exchanges, some mobile wallets and most online wallets.

If it's a "non-custodial wallet", it's up to your own effort to recover your password.
Options mainly involves bruteforcing of the password or using other forms of backup like "seed phrase" to re-create the wallet.
Example of those wallets are: Hardware wallets, Bitcoin Core, Electrum, Mycelium, some online wallets like Blockchain.com.

Quote from: Ethan151
and is there somewhere  I can state my complains and be expecting positive reply.
Mostly in yoga class or during recreational activity  Tongue
Activity: 44
Merit: 15
Is there any way a password can recover if forgotten and is there somewhere  I can state my complains and be expecting positive reply.
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 3001
Which wallet and exchange were you using for this operation? I doubt the transaction hasn't confirmed yet with the current mempool state. Can you post the ID of the transaction?
The user itself has already created a dedicated thread for his issue - altough he "forgot" to mention that he was talking about a transaction of DOGE, and not BTC -> My answer in his thread

@RickDeckard Regarding the changes you're requesting, Lauda has left the forum: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/--5282911
Oh sorry didn't knew that... Guess I'll let anyone know about that change whenever the discussion arises... Thank you!
staff
Activity: 3402
Merit: 6065
about 2 weeks ago I send a mall amount of btc  to an exchange and still have not recieved into exchange balance, the btc shows up on the sending wallet a conflicted transaction? will this resolve in time and the blockchain will reject and send back to sent wallet or is it lost forever?

Thank you for any help

Which wallet and exchange were you using for this operation? I doubt the transaction hasn't confirmed yet with the current mempool state. Can you post the ID of the transaction?

@RickDeckard Regarding the changes you're requesting, Lauda has left the forum: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/--5282911
legendary
about 2 weeks ago I send a mall amount of btc  to an exchange and still have not recieved into exchange balance, the btc shows up on the sending wallet a conflicted transaction? will this resolve in time and the blockchain will reject and send back to sent wallet or is it lost forever?

Thank you for any help
This is not the right place to discuss the issue as it may get lost in the remaining discussion (basically bitcoin wallets and such). I would advise you to create a thread at the original sub forum (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=39.0) if you intend to provide more details about your issue (such as which exchange you've used, your transaction ID, where did you sent it from)...
Activity: 40
about 2 weeks ago I send a mall amount of btc  to an exchange and still have not recieved into exchange balance, the btc shows up on the sending wallet a conflicted transaction? will this resolve in time and the blockchain will reject and send back to sent wallet or is it lost forever?

Thank you for any help
legendary
Regarding the Cobo Vault stated in the original thread, I would like to call for attention for a small "discussion" started by dkbit and latter followed by myself - [ANN] Cobo Vault Second-Generation Launch - QR Code Air-Gapped Hardware Wallets. Short version - Cobo Vault (or at least the team behind the hardware wallet) parted ways with the Cobo company and have now started their own hardware wallet - Keystone. This basically is a Cobo Vault but rebranded - the team and CEO behind the device are the same. The announcement from the CEO is quite recent (almost a week old) and we still don't know much, but this new direction was made to give more attention and allocate more resources into the hardware device, so I guess it's not bad?

@Lauda, if possible, whenever you can could you please change the reference to Cobo Vault in the original thread?
Activity: 14
There are many different types of wallets, so choosing the right wallet depends on the preferences of the users, and the type of different transactions they want to perform, you can choose the most popular wallets such as blockchain, payeer, trust and other popular wallets.
Activity: 7
I need help please anyone can help me?
staff
You can create a new wallet that starts with 1 or 3 with Electrum (connected to your ledger). Take a look at some guides on how to create/manage segwit/legacy addresses using Electrum+Ledger Nano s or Ledger Live, such as https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ledger-live-nano-s-how-to-create-regular-segwit-adresses-instead-of-natives-5218214. Take your time to learn, happy reading. CMIIW.

Electrum's latest version creates SegWit wallet by default. The only way to create a legacy address would be to use the command-line tool and I'm not sure if that's possible when connecting to a hardware wallet.

Thanks, I think I figured it out using Blockstream Green.

In case you haven't or you faced any issue, please feel free to ask. We're here to help.
Activity: 22
Merit: 6
Thanks, I think I figured it out using Blockstream Green.

I get a message saying my wallet address isn't valid. I hit up support on bitcoin.com; turns out they can't send to wallets with an address that begins with a "b"? So I have to send my funds via a wallet that can send to "b" wallets?
You can create a new wallet that starts with 1 or 3 with Electrum (connected to your ledger). Take a look at some guides on how to create/manage segwit/legacy addresses using Electrum+Ledger Nano s or Ledger Live, such as https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ledger-live-nano-s-how-to-create-regular-segwit-adresses-instead-of-natives-5218214. Take your time to learn, happy reading. CMIIW.
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 1789
I get a message saying my wallet address isn't valid. I hit up support on bitcoin.com; turns out they can't send to wallets with an address that begins with a "b"? So I have to send my funds via a wallet that can send to "b" wallets?
Activity: 22
Merit: 6
Thanks for the replies :-)

So I went ahead and ordered a Ledger Nano S, it arrived today so I've been trying to transfer from my bitcoin.com wallet.

*feels old and confused*
staff
Hey,

I should clarify, we didn't buy a whole bitcoin, we've only dipped our toes in so far, so to speak. We actually bought some satoshis last Thursday, just before the price dropped, so we're gonna hang on to those. If the price goes much lower then I'm thinking we should buy up more.

So should we transfer our satoshis from bitcoin.com into a different software wallet and look into getting a hardware wallet for when we do invest more? Do we have to pay fees to transfer from one wallet to another?

For a good software wallet, I'd go with Mycelium if you have an android.

Not sure how much satoshis did you buy, but if the amount you bought is too small, and you're planning to keep on buying very small amounts on a regular basis (assuming that there are services that allow that to start with) then I suggest to not do that, this might result in large transfer fees when you end up moving the funds from your personal wallet to anywhere else because and as said above, you'll have to pay transaction fees each time you want to move the funds around, and these fees are based on the amount of inputs/outputs and the network's congestion.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1355
So should we transfer our satoshis from bitcoin.com into a different software wallet and look into getting a hardware wallet for when we do invest more? Do we have to pay fees to transfer from one wallet to another?

If you have a rather large amount that you want to keep safe, a hardware wallet may be a good choice for you, since you can feel confident your funds will be secure with the hardware wallet. Although there are wallet options that have no need of hardware, they do not provide the full security benefits of a hardware wallet.
However, not all hardware wallets are created equal, so you need to do your homework to choose the right one for you. There are several excellent choices that I have found in this arena, with very high-quality hardware wallets like the Ledger Nano or the Trezor being particularly sought-after.

Yes, all users have to pay fees in order to transfer funds from one wallet to another. These fees depend on the network conditions, the client software and the exchange rate.
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 1789
Hardware wallet is quite cheap as mentioned above, you can get them from as low as $75 (maybe lower, depending on where you live). I think buying a hardware wallet is a good choice regardless of how much you own crypto, especially if you plan on storing it for the long term, instead of moving your funds from one wallet to another and waste fees.
Pages:
Jump to: