Pages:
Author

Topic: GOP - Rand Paul's Presidential Highlight Reel w/ his Libertarian Twist - page 57. (Read 205816 times)

legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001
Senator Rand Paul wins straw poll in boost to 2016 presidential prospects

Senator Rand Paul won a straw poll of conservative activists on Saturday, giving his potential bid for the Republican presidential nomination in 2016 a boost, and Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker came in second in a surprising show of strength.

Whether the victory for Paul will have long-lasting benefit is unclear since his libertarian views may not have broad appeal in the Republican Party.

Paul, a 52-year-old Kentucky Republican, outdistanced most other potential candidates by taking 25.7 percent of the vote at the Conservative Political Action Conference, a gathering of activists on Washington's outskirts of Washington.

"The constitutional conservatives of our party have spoken in a loud and clear voice today," Paul said in a statement. " I plan on doing my part and I hope you will join me as I continue to make the GOP a bigger, better and bolder party."

More...http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/03/01/us-randpaul-idUSKBN0LW0YY20150301
legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 1032
RIP Mommy
Load of crap. If the GOP cared about gun rights, it would have uninfringed the 2A each and every time it held the White House & majorities in Congress. Jim Crow is alive and well in America and law-abiding mentally sound people are getting killed daily because they were illegally disarmed by "gun control".
No doubt about that but it's generally thought of as a GOP issue whether they actually are strong on it or not. He's trying to make a point about the other amendments that GOP candidates/politicians should stand up for, thus differentiating himself as the person to broaden support and have a better shot at winning a national election in the eyes of primary voters.

The GOP is welcome to take a real stand on any BoR amendment at all and allow more than 1 token quasi-libertarian in the Senate (Paul) and another in the House (Amash). But you cannot exercise any of your constitutional/human rights if you're laying murdered in a ditch somewhere because you were disarmed. The fundamental human right is self-defense, and if it's not your single issue, no one will be left to speak for you.
legendary
Rand Paul On His CPAC Straw Poll Win: ‘Constitutional Conservatives Have Spoken’

Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY), a likely 2016 GOP presidential candidate, thanked participants at the Conservative Political Action Committee (CPAC) for handing him a victory in the 2015 CPAC straw poll.

“I am humbled by the enthusiastic support and encouragement I received this week at the Conservative Political Action Conference,” Paul said in a statement.

Our party is filled with constitutional conservatives who have chosen to stand with me for a third consecutive straw poll victory. Since President Ronald Reagan, the Conservative Political Action Conference has been the gold standard on where conservatives stand.

The Constitutional Conservatives of our party have spoken in a loud and clear voice today. I plan on doing my part and I hope you will join me as I continue to make the GOP a bigger, better and bolder party.

More...http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/02/28/rand-paul-on-his-cpac-straw-poll-win-constitutional-conservatives-have-spoken/
legendary
Load of crap. If the GOP cared about gun rights, it would have uninfringed the 2A each and every time it held the White House & majorities in Congress. Jim Crow is alive and well in America and law-abiding mentally sound people are getting killed daily because they were illegally disarmed by "gun control".
No doubt about that but it's generally thought of as a GOP issue whether they actually are strong on it or not. He's trying to make a point about the other amendments that GOP candidates/politicians should stand up for, thus differentiating himself as the person to broaden support and have a better shot at winning a national election in the eyes of primary voters.
legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 1032
RIP Mommy
legendary
Rand Paul: GOP needs to care about more than gun rights

The Republican Party needs to prove it values rights like freedom of speech and the right to a speedy trial as much as it values gun rights, Rand Paul said Friday.

"We do a great job defending the Second Amendment, and everybody knows that," the Kentucky senator and potential presidential candidate said at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC). "But we have to defend the whole Bill of Rights."

"To defend the Second amendment, you have to defend the Fourth Amendment," he continued. "You need the First Amendment to protect the Second Amendment... The Fifth, the Sixth -- we should have speedy trials in our country."

Paul cited the case of Kalief Browder, an African-American teenager accused of a crime who spent three years in jail without even getting a trial. While behind bars, he tried to commit suicide several times.

Browder "lives in that 'other America' that Martin Luther King talked about," Paul said.

More...http://www.cbsnews.com/news/rand-paul-gop-needs-to-care-about-more-than-gun-rights/
legendary
Rand Paul Supporters Walk Out Of Jeb Bush Speech

NATIONAL HARBOR, Md. -- A determined band of supporters of Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) walked out on former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush (R) on Friday as he spoke at the Conservative Political Action Conference.

A few dozen Paul backers -- many of whom donned red "Stand With Rand" T-shirts -- quietly made their way down the middle aisle and out the door during Bush's speech. Once outside the main ballroom at the Gaylord National Convention Center, where Bush was speaking, they rowdily gathered and denounced the man many see as the Republican Party's leading candidate for president in 2016.

"We're here at CPAC, and I almost think it's a joke having Jeb Bush here because he doesn't stand for conservative principles," said Timothy Simons, 21, the Connecticut chairman of Young Americans for Liberty and one of the Paul supporters who walked out.

"I was part of the walkout, and I'll tell you why," said Allen Skillicorn, vice chairman of the Kane County Republican Party in Illinois. "If Jeb Bush is nominated, Hillary Clinton will be the next president of the United States. ... How is he any different?"

Video and more...http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/27/jeb-bush-cpac_n_6756876.html
legendary
CPAC 2015 Straw Poll: Rand Paul wins again — but Scott Walker is surging

Sen. Rand Paul won The Washington Times/CPAC presidential preference straw poll for the third time in a row while Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker surged to second place, as they trounced the rest of a strong but crowded field of potential candidates Saturday.

Sen. Ted Cruz slipped to third place, down a rung from his showing last year, with retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson in fourth and former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush fifth. Mr. Bush was booed by the crowd when his name was announced in the poll results, suggesting how polarizing a figure he is among conservatives.

The more than 3,000 activists who voted at this year’s Conservative Political Action Conference also showed commanding support for legalizing marijuana, with a strong plurality of 41 percent saying it should be legal for recreational use, and another 26 percent saying Americans should be able to at least use it for medicinal purposes with permission of a doctor.

More...http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/feb/28/cpac-straw-poll-rand-paul-wins-scott-walker-surgin/#disqus_thread

Walker had been leading the latest polling, which I posted here recently, so how could he be surging according to this article? Point is and hope yall are paying attention, whenever a Paul is in hot pursuit or the outright lead in a poll the media reporting of is shows how they state the obvious and then gloss over it w/ a secondary outtake that they're trying to drive home. Watching Fox right now and they reported it the same way. You'd think w/ Paul winning they'd want to talk to him and glorify what a great job he's doing.. Roll Eyes
legendary
Rand Paul: ‘It is Time for Hillary Clinton to Permanently Retire’

"I came up a half hour ago to see Rand, and it didn't work, so I thought I'd try again," joked Cato Institute vice president David Boaz. (For the record, he was not wearing one of the T-shirts.)

Paul's delay, which was delayed by 20 minutes away in the Capitol, had aftershocks. When Hannity polled the crowd for their views of the 2016 candidates, Paul got a roar of approval. The names of Jeb Bush and Chris Christie drew loud, lusty boos, duly recorded by hundreds of reporters and tweeters. Trump, never a disciplined speaker, ran into the same bear trap when he suggested "boots on the ground" could defeat ISIS and had his hair (figuratively) blown back by jeers.

"We need a foreign policy that encourages stability, not chaos," Paul said. "At home, conservatives understand that the government is the problem, not the solution. As conservatives, we should not succumb to the notion that a government inept at home will somehow become successful abroad." That was not just a whack at the party's hawks. "It is time for Hillary Clinton to permanently retire," said Paul, though that line did not generate as many cheers as the self-criticism of the GOP did.

More...http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-02-27/rand-paul-it-is-time-for-hillary-clinton-to-permanently-retire-
legendary
Paul thrills CPAC with sermon on liberty

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) got a rock star’s reception at the Conservative Political Action Conference on Friday where he preached to his supporters about liberty and defended his positions on foreign policy.

Paul’s young supporters are out in force at the conference, handing out posters and wearing “I Stand With Rand” buttons and t-shirts. The Potomac Ballroom at the Gaylord National Convention Center just across the border from the nation's capital overflowed for his speech, with young attendees packing the middle section like a mosh-pit and others pressed standing against the walls.

“It’s time for a new president,” Paul declared, provoking chants of “President Paul!” from the conference goers.

“There comes a time in the history of nations when fear and forgetfulness calls a nation to hesitate, waver and perhaps even to succumb,” he said. "When that time comes, those who love liberty must rise to the occasion. Will you lovers of liberty rise to the occasion?”

It was just one of a handful of lines that sent his supporters into a frenzy.

More...http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/234131-paul-thrills-cpac-with-sermon-on-liberty
legendary
‘President Paul! President Paul!’: Rand Paul Had Young Conservatives Going Nuts at CPAC

NATIONAL HARBOR, Md. — The Republican Party may be sizing up a crowded field of presidential contenders, but in the minds of his supporters, one guy is already the man to nominate.

And he has a lot of supporters.

After winning Sean Hannity’s impromptu voice poll of CPAC-goers, Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul showed up late to the Conservative Political Action Conference (delayed by a Senate vote) and blew the crowd away with his brand of libertarian conservatism.

“Those who love liberty must rise to the occasion,” Paul told the packed crowd. “Will you lovers of liberty rise to the occasion?”

Young Paul supporters crowded the room, standing numerous times during Paul’s speech to cheer, wave signs and chant, “President Paul! President Paul!”

More...http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/02/27/president-paul-president-paul-rand-paul-had-young-conservatives-going-nuts-at-cpac/
legendary
Once again, Rand Paul stands tall at CPAC
The Kentucky senator's prowess at the annual gathering was on full display Friday.
NATIONAL HARBOR, Md. — It’s still Rand Paul’s CPAC.

A day after other Republicans tossed out hawkish lines on foreign policy at the Conservative Political Action Conference, the Kentucky senator forcefully asserted his own, more anti-interventionist views to a hall packed with his supporters, once again showing his prowess at this annual gathering.

“At home conservatives understand that government is the problem, not the solution,” the likely presidential contender said Friday. “But as conservatives we should not succumb to the notion that a government inept at home will somehow become successful abroad.”

Paul’s speech, which was punctuated by standing ovations and chants of “President Paul,” led off with condemnations of brutal interrogation methods and government surveillance, two other issues in which he parts ways with many national security hawks in his party.

“You do have a right to privacy,” he said. “Your rights are in your DNA and the government can, quite frankly, get over it.”

More...http://www.politico.com/story/2015/02/rand-paul-cpac-2015-speech-115591.html
legendary
CPAC Hails ‘President Paul’

CPAC activists waited an hour-and-a-half for Senator Rand Paul (R., Ky.) after congressional votes delayed his speech, and the pent-up energy made for a rowdy welcome. “President Paul! President Paul! President Paul!” the attendees chanted in the middle of Paul’s speech when he said America needs ‘a new president.’ The salutation came after Paul promised to unveil a plan that would balance the budget in five years while passing “the largest tax cut in American history.” “My tax plan will get the IRS out of your life and out of the way of every job creator in America,” he said. Paul turned to economic issues only after citing the Benghazi terrorist attacks as the centerpiece of an indictment of Hillary Clinton and a defense of his own foreign policy. Paul noted that terrorists took over Libya after Clinton backed intervening against the incumbent dictatorship. “As [Hillary Clinton] was declaring victory in Libya, Ambassador Stevens was pleading for more security,” Paul said. “Her dereliction of duty should forever preclude her from higher office . . . It’s time for Hillary Clinton to permanently retire.”   As Paul tied the rise of terrorists in Libya to the U.S. intervention, he also argued that ISIS was empowered by a misguided decision to arm Syrian rebels.   “Without question, we must now defend ourselves and american interests from this barbarous aberration; but it troubles me that we must now fight against our own weapons,” he said. “As conservatives we should not succumb to the notion that a government inept at home will somehow become successful abroad.”
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/414566/cpac-hails-president-paul-joel-gehrke
legendary
Rand Paul Interview with Katie Couric (well known mainstream media interviewer)
Rand Paul on the fight against ISIS
If Rand Paul were commander in chief, his strategy for fighting Islamic militants in the Middle East would start with the Kurds.

“I would arm the Kurds directly,” the Republican senator and potential presidential candidate told Yahoo Global News Anchor Katie Couric. The two sat down in Washington on Wednesday, just hours after the FBI announced it had arrested three men charged with plotting to join the Islamic State, or ISIS, and stage attacks against the United States.

Despite urging Congress to make an official declaration of war — for the first time since World War II — against ISIS last November, the Kentucky senator’s reputation as an isolationist still precedes him. Dismissing that as a “mischaracterization,” Paul told Couric he’s not willing to send American troops to fight anywhere if the people who live there are not also willing to fight.

And he believes the Kurds — the disenfranchised ethnic groups whose Iraqi contingent has been fighting ISIS for months — are particularly up to the task.

“The only people over there that can fight and have been showing some ability to fight are the Kurds,” Paul said. “The president has been sending weapons to Baghdad. They’re not adequately getting to Kurdistan. I would fund them directly. I would take some of the weaponry that we have left over in Afghanistan and I would send that directly to the Kurds.”

More...https://news.yahoo.com/katie-couric-interviews-rand-paul-160100857.html
legendary
Feisty Rand Paul eats up CPAC
The Kentucky senator jabs Clinton, Bush and Christie as he tunes up for the conservative Woodstock.

Sen. Rand Paul will beseech conservatives to follow “a new way” as he takes the podium of the Conservative Political Action Conference on Friday and tries for a triple crown — a third consecutive win in the annual straw poll that reflects the young, libertarian crowd of raucous activists.

The Kentucky Republican will spend parts of two days at the convention center in National Harbor, Md., showing up late Thursday afternoon to sign books, drop by a College Republicans reception, then pose for hundreds of pictures at a “liberty reception” hosted by groups that include Young Americans for Liberty.
Story Continued Below

In an interview with POLITICO to preview his CPAC remarks, Paul offered backhanded advice to one of his GOP 2016 rivals, former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush: “A lot of kids are concerned with privacy, and the fact that he’s come out to be a big advocate for the surveillance state and the dragnet, collecting all the phone records — if he’s smart, he won’t probably bring that up at CPAC.”
Previewing his national message for the months ahead, Paul said his “new way” means that conservatives “take the defense of the Bill of Rights and instead of only sort of talking about the Second Amendment, we take the First Amendment, the Fourth Amendment, the Fifth Amendment to all kinds of audiences who are ready and waiting to hear this.”

Paul said his mission is to “get these kids excited” and convince them “that you’re going to really do something to make their future better and brighter.”

“There’s probably no speech with more kids all in one room that you’ll have in almost any one season,” he said. “I see it as a way to try to pump up the next generation.”

More...http://www.politico.com/story/2015/02/rand-paul-cpac-speech-115531.html#ixzz3SrS71XQQ
legendary
Rand Paul: CPAC More ‘Difficult’ for ‘Moderates’ Like Jeb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hysABETF0ac
^His interview on The Kelly File on Fox last night which is referenced in the article. For those that don't know, this show comes on at 9pm EST and it's the #2 show on the network (~2.5 million viewers) featuring an attractive blond female host which is part of Fox's shtick to drive viewership.
Senator Rand Paul (R-KY) said that CPAC would be “kind of a difficult crowd” for “moderates” like Jeb Bush on Wednesday’s “Kelly File” on the Fox News Channel.

Asked about the competition he’ll face from Jeb Bush if he runs in 2016 and the attention Bush has received, Paul said “well, being related — when your brother had been president and your father president, that tends to draw some attention. But I think it will be, you know, it’s kind of a difficult crowd out here because it’s going to be the Conservative Political Action Committee. So, we think there will be a lot of friendly faces for us, and there’s definitely a place for moderates, but it may not be quite the same level of enthusiasm for moderates at this conference.”

He further criticized Bush by stating “I think if you talk to young people they’re not very tolerant of hypocrisy, and the fact that Jeb admits that when he was in an elite prep school where very wealthy kids went to school, that he smoked pot, but he’s still willing to put somebody in jail for medical marijuana in Florida, a 75-year-old guy using medical marijuana for multiple sclerosis, I frankly wouldn’t put them in jail. A lot of poor people go to jail for drug offenses, and when Jeb was a very wealthy kid at a very elite school, he used marijuana, but didn’t get caught, didn’t have to go to prison. I think it shows some hypocrisy that’s going to be difficult for young people to understand why we’d put a 65-year-old guy in jail for medical marijuana.”

Paul did say that while he didn’t know a whole lot about Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker’s (R) record, “I like what he did in Wisconsin with fighting to take away excessive power from the unions and give the power back to the workers, and I think there are many things he’s done well.”

More...http://www.breitbart.com/video/2015/02/25/rand-paul-cpac-more-difficult-for-moderates-like-jeb/
legendary
Crunch Time for Rand Paul at CPAC (annual Conservative Political Action Conference)

With Republican rivals like Scott Walker and Jeb Bush off to a strong start in the 2016 presidential race, Rand Paul will seek his own breakout moment at an annual gathering where hopefuls go to burnish their conservative credentials.

Of all the potential candidates speaking at the meeting of the Conservative Political Action Conference, the Kentucky senator should feel most at home. He won the event's presidential straw poll the last two years, buoyed by support from young libertarian-leaning conservatives who plan to turn out in force again this year.

The 52-year-old Paul, famous for his non-interventionist approach to world affairs, could find himself at odds with a growing hawkishness among other Republican hopefuls mustering support with their calls for more aggressive action against Russia and Islamic State militants.

"He's got a challenge to overcome," said Al Cardenas, former chairman of the American Conservative Union which organizes the event known by its acronym, CPAC.

Due to speak on Friday, Paul can nonetheless count on a generational divide of sorts between the party's traditional foreign-policy hawks and younger activists who have come of age during 13 years of nonstop U.S. engagement in wars.

"We've grown up in war in Afghanistan and Iraq and we all have friends who have gone overseas and either have not come back or have come back mentally scarred. There's a toll that's been taken on young people in this war," said Jeff Frazee, executive director of Young Americans for Liberty, a libertarian group that has had a heavy presence at recent CPAC gatherings.

The influence of libertarians can be seen this year on panels that will tackle criminal-justice reform and marijuana legalization, as well as more traditional topics such as abortion and President Barack Obama's signature healthcare act.

More...http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/conservative-event-CPAC-Rand-Paul/2015/02/25/id/626890/
legendary
RAND PAUL FLEXES 2016 MUSCLES ON FLORIDA TRIP, CAMPAIGNS AGAINST DC POLITICAL CLASS

Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY), a contender for the 2016 GOP nomination, flexed his potential presidential campaign muscles during a trip here this weekend—showing off his pull with grassroots voters and his ability to win over donors.

After arriving late Friday night after a speech in Montgomery, Alabama—Paul was the keynote before the Alabama GOP’s annual winter dinner—Paul on Saturday morning kicked off his day by holding a roundtable discussion with local doctors about healthcare policy.
Jan Glassman, another grassroots activist who sits on the executive committee of the Collier County Republican Party—and splits her time between Florida and New Hampshire, another early primary state—spoke highly of Paul as well and noted similar things about the GOP influence Collier County has in the general election in the all-important state of Florida.

“Number one, I think candidates come here to raise money,” Glassman told Breitbart News. “But number two, Collier County turns out the greatest percentage of Republican votes in the state—a very, very Republican county. It can make all the difference. George Bush won by 537 votes I think it was? Something like that—very, very small.”

Glassman spoke highly of New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, former Hewlett-Packard CEO Carly Fiorina, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker and Paul. About Paul, she noted she met him when he endorsed former Sen. Scott Brown’s campaign against Sen. Jeanne Shaheen (D-NH) at the University of New Hampshire last cycle.

“I saw him at UNH last summer,” Glassman said. “He’s a great guy. He resonates. His dad always resonated with young people.”

Paul showed off his fundraising appeal later in the day, attending a finance meeting with several high-level donors from the area but the most interesting thing is he seems to be able to walk in both worlds: Appeal to the donors, and appeal to the grassroots.

More...http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/02/25/rand-paul-flexes-2016-muscles-on-florida-trip-campaigns-against-dc-political-class/
legendary
Doug Wead: The Difference between Rand Paul and Ron Paul

Rand Paul is the U.S. Senator from Kentucky who is favored by many to win the 2016 Republican nomination for president. He appeals to a broad range of constituents from the Tea Party to Evangelical Christians, African Americans, Gays, Independents and Democrats concerned about Civil Liberties. He has picked up the Civil Rights torch and now leads the most active effort to reform social justice. His father, Ron Paul, was a U.S. Congressman from Texas, who ran for president three times.

Here’s how they differ.

The father, congressman, Ron Paul, is a classic Libertarian. The son, Senator, Rand Paul, is a practical Libertarian.

The father believes in the personal freedom of the individual. The son recognizes that there are times when the needs of the wider community must be considered. For example, the father would allow local communities to decide for themselves about legalizing marijuana. The son agrees but openly favors laws against marijuana – for the greater good.

In foreign policy there is a big difference. Both men believe that the nation should not go to war without congressional approval. They both believe it is a mistake for Congress to forfeit war making powers to the president alone. Both men believe that the United States should not assume the role of policeman of the world. But the difference is in degrees. And it is huge. The father, Ron Paul, would prefer that America stay out of everybody else’s business. For example, he does not see Iran as a threat to American security. In an ideal world, Senator Rand Paul would agree but in a world of terrorism and nuclear weapons he sees genuine danger.
The best example of a Rand Paul foreign policy would be that of former President Ronald Reagan. For Reagan, the security of the United States was the paramount concern and thus his focus was on the Soviet Union and the threat it posed. Reagan’s wars were always proxy wars against the Soviets. For example, Reagan did not go after Cambodian leader, Pol Pot, the man who killed half of his own people in a nationwide genocide. Reagan did not go after Idi Amin, who had slaughtered hundreds of thousands in Africa and had just been driven from office when Reagan arrived in the White House. Both of these despotic leaders, left untouched by Reagan, were far more evil than Saddam Hussein.

When Reagan stuck his toe in the Middle East in 1982 and it resulted in the death of 241 marines, he withdrew our forces. He decided that it was not in America’s security interest to be involved in the intractable problems of the Middle East. How wise that seems in retrospect.

Likewise, Senator Rand Paul has refused to support the endless calls for international adventures from his colleagues in the Senate. And yet, when the ISIS threat emerged Paul had razor sharp focus. He was the first public figure to call for a declaration of war. He saw ISIS as a threat to America’s national security.
Finally, there is style. The father was a great provocateur and a born teacher. The son is a superb politician, a natural pleaser.

More...https://dougwead.wordpress.com/2015/02/25/the-difference-between-rand-paul-and-ron-paul/

Doug Wead is a presidential historian and New York Times bestselling author.  He has been an adviser to two American presidents and served in the White House as special assistant to the president under George Herbert Walker Bush.

In 1979 he co-founded Mercy Corps, which has distributed more than $ 2 billion of food and medicine around the world.

As a corporate-motivational speaker he has addressed business audiences in coliseums and soccer stadiums in forty countries.  He is the author of 30 books. Recent titles include All the Presidents’ Children and The Raising of a President. He advised the 2012 Ron Paul campaign and likely will do the same for Rand coming up here.
legendary
CATO President: Rand Paul Will Be The Next President of the United States

NAPLES, Florida — Before Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) spoke to a banquet of libertarian and conservative activists hosted by the Cato Institute here on Saturday evening, Cato’s president John Allison introduced Paul as: “The next President of the United States of America.”

“We want government so small in Washington, we barely see it,” Paul said in his speech to the group, a speech for which Breitbart News was the only media outlet allowed inside. “Instead it’s the opposite. I tell people that it’s sort of like going into AA. I’m Rand Paul, and I’m from flyover America. The thing is we are so much different—thinking is so much different—outside the Beltway than inside the city.”

Paul went through several of his major stump speech elements. How he wanted to cut $500 billion from the government’s spending when he first got to Washington, but was laughed at inside and outside the Beltway. Inside, he was mocked for wanting to cut so much—while outside the beltway, he was rapped for wanting to cut too little. Paul laid out how he wants to close the Department of Commerce and the Department of Education, and took a minor shot at former Texas Gov. Rick Perry for the campaign gaffe that wiped out his 2012 presidential campaign.

“I was tired of the liberal media saying well all you conservatives you say for you’re for balancing the budget but you never tell us where you’ll cut, so I gave them a list of $500 billion I would cut including four or five Departments—I won’t try to name them because it never goes over well if you can’t remember the name of them,” Paul said. Perry famously forgot during a debate where he’d cut. “Some of them, if we were to eliminate them, people would never know the difference. The danger is if we close the Department of Commerce that people wake up and say, ‘Oh when did they close the Department of Commerce?’”

More...http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/02/24/cato-president-rand-paul-will-be-next-president-of-the-united-states-of-america/

The Cato think tank is mostly known as a libertarian policy outfit inside the beltway yet they've been viewed as libertarian-lite for many years going back a few decades. They were founded by the Koch bros and are likely still largely funded by them and they've been at odds historically with the hardcore Austrian economist/libertarian movement strengthened by Murray Rothbard and popularized by Ron Paul. However, it seems that things are starting to move together going forward.
Pages:
Jump to: