Pages:
Author

Topic: GPU mining will die in 2018! - page 30. (Read 16860 times)

Activity: 714
Merit: 512
March 10, 2018, 08:48:04 AM
Profitable GPU mining will die in 2018!

GPU mining = CPU mining soon.

Smart CPU mining can still be profitable.

I've got ~75 single CPUs doing about ~16KH on Cryptonight... each one cost me $20-35 bucks (Xeon X5660/X5670). So average $27.50 each = $2062.50 cost for around $700 a month even at todays low profit (they have more than paid for themselves during the peak times in my case).

Also quite a few used quad-CPU servers crunching away...

Now... buying NEW CPUs with the express purpose of mining is NOT a good idea... but used gear can do nicely.

If you have free electricity...

I don't -- but it cheap enough to work out nicely. Less than half the current profit from my CPUs is used in power.

And, again, they were earning WAY more up until very recently.
Activity: 239
Merit: 100
March 10, 2018, 07:26:56 AM

I've got ~75 single CPUs doing about ~16KH on Cryptonight... each one cost me $20-35 bucks (Xeon X5660/X5670). So average $27.50 each = $2062.50 cost for around $700 a month even at todays low profit (they have more than paid for themselves during the peak times in my case).

Now... buying NEW CPUs with the express purpose of mining is NOT a good idea... but used gear can do nicely.

If you have free electricity...
Activity: 304
Merit: 105
March 10, 2018, 06:47:27 AM
I think i've heard that almost as many times as Bitcoin is dead. LOL.

Hahah yep, remember when there were 10 articles like this pumped out on a daily basis?  https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/evd7jj/etherium-miners-are-selling-their-graphics-cards

BTC was not designed to scale and it's dead as "electronic cash" with $25-50 transaction fee, slow transactions times, massive network congestion with hundreds of thousands of unconfirmed transaction unless a layer 2 solution gets implemented.

Stop spreading false information. BTC fees are at like 2 year lows, it's fast.
Activity: 38
Merit: 0
March 10, 2018, 03:34:05 AM
Hello All, nvidia officially has the prediction that gpu's high prices ut least until the end of 2018, so I think at least people and analysts at nvidia with all the information they have think that at least in 2018 mining on a gpu will continue to be profitable and people will continue mining.

But who knows, no one knows the future, maybe one day amazon decide to accept bitcoin and eth as payment method and cryptocurrencies skyrocket again and gpu mining is more profitable than never before,  or one day cryptocurrencies could be banned worldwide and the value of bitcoin and eth goes close to 0 and then you could find used gpu's per milions on ebay.

Who knows.
Activity: 25
March 10, 2018, 02:54:47 AM
If ASIC comes to Daggerhashimoto, then I'll just switch to Ravencoin x16r. Let's see what happens.
Activity: 45
March 10, 2018, 12:19:28 AM
This is something ive thought of alot these last fer months....! 

I'm a few GPU rigs in and have the funds to go further but I'm not to sure for my short terms gain plan....

Im pretty confortable in my medium and long term plans...

However short term im questioning not flooding my personal rackspace with ASICS rather than GPU rigs as both seem to be a nightmare to get hold of now?

Hmmmm dilema

If you do buy GPU's and the market goes way down to where it is unprofitable to accumulate then you can at least sell your parts on Ebay whereas once an ASIC becomes unprofitable....its a brick.  (Maybe you'd get something in the way of parts, but consider your GPU's as a longer term depreciating asset...

At least in my thoughts. 

I have 3 rigs ,  1 ASIC L3 and a 6 GPU AMD and a 5 GPU NVIDIA rig  and the L3 was doing more than 2 LTC per month...Now it is down to 1.5 and the next batch of L3+ have not come out from Bitmain in late march which should reduce that even further.....not to mention the new 1 GH wolf ASIC's in June...... 

I don't know though...With these dips you might be better off just buying and selling these swings and holding profits..cause I think it can go further down...

I'm just collecting right now.  No more 3 month and your $4000 rig is paid in full.

J
Activity: 140
Merit: 2
March 09, 2018, 11:42:34 PM
I think mining industry will die soon as a whole, as they are more and more alternative consensus mechanism that does not require mining (Proof Of Stake, Tangle, Proof Of Credit, Proof of Importance...)

Proof of morning shit after coffee. There's no consensus for free. Putting coins in a wallet and leaving a window open doesn't secure a network. Vitalik is a fraud, he stole consensus omnilayer layer from Bitcoin, and made his shitcoin shopping mall. None of those methods you mentioned can compete with the security proof of work delivers. Proof of stake is like curing cancer. There's so many types of cancer that are tackled in bits in pieces. My medical opinion. There's not going to be some "aha" moment in solving proof of stake. Even neo has faults. Cardano = fraud. Solving proof of stake will take 100s of thousands of hours of mind power from the best mathematicians to solve.

This is a really important point.

https://www.coindesk.com/fundamentally-vulnerable-ethereums-casper-tech-takes-criticism-curacao/

Doesn't seem like there's a single answer to consensus--true POW could benefit from solving the electricity problem, but hybrid approaches, new tech like more efficient cards/gear, and new mining paradigms may help it secure a place. HDD mining is a good thought IMO, just seems too hard to RoI with smattering of available coins at present for most miners' taste. Lot of smart people working on this stuff, we'll just need to be prepared to adapt.
legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1166
My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?
March 09, 2018, 10:58:00 PM
You trolls are delusional, gpu profit crashed hard, from $7 to $1 and you trolls think everything is fine hehe and soon from $1 to $0.10 per card per day.

for the people whom follow the herd;  yeah;  profitability can tank hard;

I am still pulling respectable earnings from my gear;  and I am not mining the biggest fanboy coins/algos.
Activity: 2142
Merit: 353
Xtreme Monster
March 09, 2018, 10:23:15 PM
You trolls are delusional, gpu profit crashed hard, from $7 to $1 and you trolls think everything is fine hehe and soon from $1 to $0.10 per card per day.
Activity: 714
Merit: 512
March 09, 2018, 09:15:49 PM

Activity: 19
March 09, 2018, 09:13:39 PM
Developers can simply change Ethash algorithm to EthashRev2 and Equihash to EquihashRev2 if they wish.
Of course I doubt this is going to happen but they sure as hell could.

ASICs are extremely fragile towards any kind of change, if they could change they wouldn't be ASICs.

What attracts most people to GPU mining is the versatility it has.
Verge is pretty mineable with ASICs and with GPUs.
Activity: 196
Merit: 10
March 09, 2018, 07:54:46 PM
I wont be that so sure,these companies who are producing GPU for mining acitivities wont allow that to happen even though that these ASIC miners are far ahead than these GPUs mining ,for a normal people like us who doesnt have farms GPU will still be the best of our choice because ASICs mining is too expensive if i may say so myself.
Activity: 141
Merit: 4
ethereum is a fork of ethereum classic.
March 09, 2018, 06:42:01 PM
I think mining industry will die soon as a whole, as they are more and more alternative consensus mechanism that does not require mining (Proof Of Stake, Tangle, Proof Of Credit, Proof of Importance...)

Proof of morning shit after coffee. There's no consensus for free. Putting coins in a wallet and leaving a window open doesn't secure a network. Vitalik is a fraud, he stole consensus omnilayer layer from Bitcoin, and made his shitcoin shopping mall. None of those methods you mentioned can compete with the security proof of work delivers. Proof of stake is like curing cancer. There's so many types of cancer that are tackled in bits in pieces. My medical opinion. There's not going to be some "aha" moment in solving proof of stake. Even neo has faults. Cardano = fraud. Solving proof of stake will take 100s of thousands of hours of mind power from the best mathematicians to solve.
Activity: 10
March 09, 2018, 05:50:11 PM

Activity: 108
Merit: 11
March 09, 2018, 05:34:53 PM
Plus when you have both AMD and Nvidia state they are in development of mining-specific headless cards that have VRAM and Compute units specifically tailored for mining, you know it aint going anywhere.

http://cryptomining-blog.com/tag/nvidia-gp106-100/
Activity: 32
March 06, 2018, 01:06:24 PM
Anyone that thinks GPU mining will die is trying to get you to quit or has too much tied up in their ASIC bricks. I panicked four years ago because of naysayers and widespread selloff/panic. If only I had stuck with it, my $20k+ investment in mining would have been worth $250k - $500k today. Alt Crypto currency cannot survive without mining, and since crypto is here to stay, mining is here to stay. GPU mining is waaaayy safer than ASIC mining, especially now. I bought an S9 back in December when it was making $30 a day after power costs. I sold it the following week; if I had kept that S9, I would have lost $2k in two months as you can now get them for $2k and they only make $6 a day. $5k spent in graphics cards will pull in way more than $5k spent on ASICS. You can't win with ASICs because ASIC algo difficulties ramp up way too fast to keep up. They only ones making money on ASIC mining are the chinese companies that are in bed with Bitmain and Bitmain themselves. The house always wins and in this case the house is Bitmain and their cohorts. They are mining with tomorrow's SHA-256 ASICs today.  But the chinese do not have control of the GPU market. GPUs will hold more than 75% of their value for at least 6 months after the new GTX cards are launched because no one will be able to get the new cards, they will be in just in time for the holiday rush of gamers and miners this fall. Additionally, new GPU pricing will reflect the market demand; if they give 30% better mining performance then they'll be 30% more expensive, so don't expect previous gen GPUs to simply tank. Gamers will still need GPUs and previous gens will be the only affordable option for them. ASICs cannot replace GPUs because Bitmain simply does not have the ability to produce or obtain the GDDR5X/GDDR6 ram that Samsung has a monopoly on. Cellphones and GPU's are top priority for Samsung. Bitmain would have to sink billions into R&D just to bring out a competitive ASIC to current GPU levels. It doesn't work the same way SHA-256, X11, etc ASICs operate.
Activity: 108
Merit: 11
March 06, 2018, 12:53:10 PM
This thread is FUD. If they build ASIC's for a coin there is always a new algorithm, a new coin coming around the corner.
Activity: 5
March 06, 2018, 12:49:26 PM
I'd say China will rather get involved into a big war than GPU mining will die this year.
Activity: 45
Merit: 1
March 06, 2018, 11:53:42 AM
Activity: 462
Merit: 258
Small Time Miner, Rig Builder, Crypto Trader
March 05, 2018, 05:58:07 PM
as i now Equihash has an mechanism to block asics miner....
so i cant imagine that they will stop mining on this type of crypto
 Huh Huh Huh

I see day by day, ASICS of many coins are launching, individually or multiple. Chinese companies are trying to kill the GPU mining market once again cause they are greedy, just like they did to Bitcoin and Litecoin. GPU Mining died in 2013 and was resurrected in 2015 with the Cryptocoins Generation 2.0, although many of you miners just started mining on 2016 due to huge pumps on those 2.0 cryptocoins.

As Cryptocoins got more popular than in 2011 - 2013. The new generation of Cryptocoins 2015 and afterwards are endangered by ASICS once again, and 2018 looks to be the year of per the title "GPU mining will die in 2018!".

Keep in mind that there are possible ASICS for ethash already for Q1, and even if ETH goes POS, ETC and other ethash coins will be only ASICS and if that happens only Equihash coins will be minable for a time and I have a word that there is already an ASIC in development for Equihash already and will start delivering in Q4 2018. As GPU mining keep gets scarce, other popular coins will have pumps and so ASICS will be born for them.

I want to know your thoughts about it and I wonder the limits of --> "where, there is money to be made, there is greedy"

Keep in mind that this price crashing we are seeing is due also to the fear of ASICS for most GPU mining coins.

don't believe Metroid all he does is spread FUD these days, he has no proof to back up his sensational claims, everyone knows there will NEVER be an asic for ETHASH, equihash sure maybe but again where is the fucking proof. also on a side now ethash uses memory which is something a fucking asic DOESNT HAVE,
so unless theres an asic that has memory, but at that point it would NO LONGER BE AN ASIC as you would be able to run anything on it since its soooooooo danm close to a PC
Pages:
Jump to: