Pages:
Author

Topic: GPU mining will die in 2018! - page 42. (Read 16860 times)

Activity: 91
Merit: 10
January 20, 2018, 09:29:02 PM
There are a few coins out there that 'pride' themselves on being asic resistant. Vertcoin for example. So I don't think GPU mining will die when there are popular coins out there who intend to keep GPU's as the main form of mining.

Sure profitability might drop, by don't think it will outright 'die' in 2018. Also ethereum going POS won't help with hashrate distribution.

profitability won't drop as long as you keep updating your cards to the latest generation ones. Mining is here to stay. People like to say mining is too easy profit to be sustainable but they don't know the trouble that is to setup consistent rigs and monitor them over time.
Activity: 616
Merit: 167
January 20, 2018, 08:35:04 PM
There are a few coins out there that 'pride' themselves on being asic resistant. Vertcoin for example. So I don't think GPU mining will die when there are popular coins out there who intend to keep GPU's as the main form of mining.

Sure profitability might drop, by don't think it will outright 'die' in 2018. Also ethereum going POS won't help with hashrate distribution.
Activity: 644
Merit: 24
January 20, 2018, 08:31:45 PM
I see day by day, ASICS of many coins are launching, individually or multiple. Chinese companies are trying to kill the GPU mining market once again cause they are greedy, just like they did to Bitcoin and Litecoin. GPU Mining died in 2013 and was resurrected in 2015 with the Cryptocoins Generation 2.0, although many of you miners just started mining on 2016 due to huge pumps on those 2.0 cryptocoins.

As Cryptocoins got more popular than in 2011 - 2013. The new generation of Cryptocoins 2015 and afterwards are endangered by ASICS once again, and 2018 looks to be the year of per the title "GPU mining will die in 2018!".

Keep in mind that there are possible ASICS for ethash already for Q1, and even if ETH goes POS, ETC and other ethash coins will be only ASICS and if that happens only Equihash coins will be minable for a time and I have a word that there is already an ASIC in development for Equihash already and will start delivering in Q4 2018. As GPU mining keep gets scarce, other popular coins will have pumps and so ASICS will be born for them.

I want to know your thoughts about it and I wonder the limits of --> "where, there is money to be made, there is greedy"

Keep in mind that this price crashing we are seeing is due also to the fear of ASICS for most GPU mining coins.

lol.
Do you know how much it costs to put memory on an ASIC?

I program new ASIC's for a living.  I get beat up about fitting firmware into 64K.

You get beat up?
Activity: 78
Merit: 0
January 20, 2018, 08:26:22 PM
I see day by day, ASICS of many coins are launching, individually or multiple. Chinese companies are trying to kill the GPU mining market once again cause they are greedy, just like they did to Bitcoin and Litecoin. GPU Mining died in 2013 and was resurrected in 2015 with the Cryptocoins Generation 2.0, although many of you miners just started mining on 2016 due to huge pumps on those 2.0 cryptocoins.

As Cryptocoins got more popular than in 2011 - 2013. The new generation of Cryptocoins 2015 and afterwards are endangered by ASICS once again, and 2018 looks to be the year of per the title "GPU mining will die in 2018!".

Keep in mind that there are possible ASICS for ethash already for Q1, and even if ETH goes POS, ETC and other ethash coins will be only ASICS and if that happens only Equihash coins will be minable for a time and I have a word that there is already an ASIC in development for Equihash already and will start delivering in Q4 2018. As GPU mining keep gets scarce, other popular coins will have pumps and so ASICS will be born for them.

I want to know your thoughts about it and I wonder the limits of --> "where, there is money to be made, there is greedy"

Keep in mind that this price crashing we are seeing is due also to the fear of ASICS for most GPU mining coins.

lol.
Do you know how much it costs to put memory on an ASIC?

I program new ASIC's for a living.  I get beat up about fitting firmware into 64K.

January 20, 2018, 08:22:07 PM

Well really who cares.  We'll just switch to ASIC's if that is the case.  Adapt or die, my friend.  I'll admit that it won't be quite as fun to mine with ASIC's only.  They are just really smart, dumb boxes, in my opinion.  There won't be near as much tweaking involved.
Activity: 2142
Merit: 353
Xtreme Monster
January 20, 2018, 08:09:35 PM
In 2014 they said mining would no longer be profitable
In 2015 they said mining would no longer be profitable

Which world do you live in? Those years were not profitable at all, people sold all their gpu beginning 2014 and after that, gpu mining was alive only after march 2016 with the eth pump from $0.20 to $7.
Activity: 420
Merit: 10
January 20, 2018, 03:24:38 AM
How GPU mining will die, if we have only GPU mineble big coins how ETH for example.
Building asics for this algo will be so expencive, how building gpu rig
January 19, 2018, 11:46:47 PM
One of those threads where you know the thread starter before you read his name...

Can anyone guess what metroid is gonna say when there's another correction ?

I was thinking the exact same thing ... Lol. 
Activity: 186
Merit: 4
January 19, 2018, 11:24:57 PM
One of those threads where you know the thread starter before you read his name...

Can anyone guess what metroid is gonna say when there's another correction ?
Activity: 269
Merit: 101
January 19, 2018, 10:56:05 PM
i love reading metroids posts.

I am 100% convinced he's a moderator acting as a troll or something, seriously just posts the best stuff, hehe.

check some of his posts from the pasts. hehe.  first he says he mines, then he says he doesn't mine..    always calling for crashes and celebrating when prices are down.   said people will never make their money back, said its not profitable.   which is it?  he a miner or not?  hehe.

he's one of a kind. hehe.

would love to adopt him.  hehe.
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
January 19, 2018, 10:38:38 PM
Heard this all before, after Litecoin.  Then Ethereum happened and so the cycle will continue.
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
January 19, 2018, 09:25:26 PM
Been heavily mining (again) for ~7 months... all my hardware is over 2x ROI... and I still have the hardware which has value. I'm very pleased.

All along the way there have been people yelling about GPU mining crashing.

I wouldn't be surprised if it slowed down... but dying in 2018 ? I don't think so.

It is far more likely that I will die before Gpu mining dies.

legendary
Activity: 3808
Merit: 1723
Up to 300% + 200 FS deposit bonuses
January 19, 2018, 09:17:00 PM

In 2009 they said mining would no longer be profitable
In 2010 they said mining would no longer be profitable
In 2011 they said mining would no longer be profitable
In 2012 they said mining would no longer be profitable
In 2013 they said mining would no longer be profitable
In 2014 they said mining would no longer be profitable
In 2015 they said mining would no longer be profitable
In 2016 they said mining would no longer be profitable
In 2017 they said mining would no longer be profitable

So I am guessing it will be the same for 2018
Activity: 630
Merit: 502
January 19, 2018, 08:55:49 PM
I think i've heard that almost as many times as Bitcoin is dead. LOL.

Hahah yep, remember when there were 10 articles like this pumped out on a daily basis?  https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/evd7jj/etherium-miners-are-selling-their-graphics-cards

BTC was not designed to scale and it's dead as "electronic cash" with $25-50 transaction fee, slow transactions times, massive network congestion with hundreds of thousands of unconfirmed transaction unless a layer 2 solution gets implemented.
Bitcoin have a lot of problems now, as you said like, slow transaction times, also the miner fees increase is too high, I think if they can't fix this problem on bitcoin, people will start to use another crypto. There are a plenty of altcoins are good to use, they have more advantage now compared to bitcoin, the most important one is the fees and the quick transactions.
BTC is more like precious metal or gems instead of cash where it's an asset that's worth alot but also slow and costs alot to verify when trying to buy or sell.
Activity: 1148
Merit: 132
January 19, 2018, 05:18:45 PM
I think most of you know about envion ($100M raised couple of days ago at ico finish), so according to their video and details on the first MMU which is already working somewhere in Germany, the container has more than 400 GPU (!!!!!!) cards and 19 asics antminer s9. It was one of the most scaring fact in their ico using of that high part of GPU miners in that mobile mining unit.

I cant believe idiots gave these fools 100million to compete with them lol
Activity: 532
Merit: 132
January 19, 2018, 05:16:42 PM

Hahah yep, remember when there were 10 articles like this pumped out on a daily basis?  https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/evd7jj/etherium-miners-are-selling-their-graphics-cards

BTC was not designed to scale and it's dead as "electronic cash" with $25-50 transaction fee, slow transactions times, massive network congestion with hundreds of thousands of unconfirmed transaction unless a layer 2 solution gets implemented.
Bitcoin have a lot of problems now, as you said like, slow transaction times, also the miner fees increase is too high, I think if they can't fix this problem on bitcoin, people will start to use another crypto. There are a plenty of altcoins are good to use, they have more advantage now compared to bitcoin, the most important one is the fees and the quick transactions.
Activity: 630
Merit: 502
January 19, 2018, 04:51:38 PM

Hahah yep, remember when there were 10 articles like this pumped out on a daily basis?  https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/evd7jj/etherium-miners-are-selling-their-graphics-cards

Activity: 1179
Merit: 131
January 19, 2018, 04:44:59 PM

Activity: 258
Merit: 250
January 19, 2018, 04:36:10 PM
One of the big factors which make an altcoin valuable is its mineability of end users with gpu.  I wouldnt even care or invest ETH if it wouldnt  be mineable bei GPU.

10  Normal miners-->Discover Altcoins --- if GPU mineable-->value increases as interest of people increases-->while mining easy -->>more valuable--->honey attracts big greedy guys--> developing asics --->lost of interest from end(home/basic) miners--->then search new mineable altcoins --> (big guys big investment -->manipulated big pumps of prices at exchanges , sell the asic mined coins to newbees and quit...
20  goto 10 ;
100%
Activity: 126
Merit: 0
January 19, 2018, 04:31:34 PM
One of the big factors which make an altcoin valuable is its mineability of end users with gpu.  I wouldnt even care or invest ETH if it wouldnt  be mineable bei GPU.

10  Normal miners-->Discover Altcoins --- if GPU mineable-->value increases as interest of people increases-->while mining easy -->>more valuable--->honey attracts big greedy guys--> developing asics --->lost of interest from end(home/basic) miners--->then search new mineable altcoins --> (big guys big investment -->manipulated big pumps of prices at exchanges , sell the asic mined coins to newbees and quit...
20  goto 10 ;
Pages:
Jump to: