Author

Topic: Gridcoin (GRC) - first coin utilizing BOINC - Official Thread - page 183. (Read 597425 times)

Activity: 154
Merit: 100
Coinoholic
Bought 1000 grid on c-cex to get stash started, now c-cex is down for the count. Any news about that?
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001
Activity: 144
Hello gridcoin community,  I just invested in gridcoin and also early adopter and investor in Vertcoin and Darkcoin.  I have noticed that this coin have been for a
Couple of months and for gridcoins potential and qualities is vastly undervalued and I think I know why.

We just need to focus on one task to make the "first scientific achievement",  with gridcoin mining network, No matter if is insignificant. I mean as stated bu other blogger before, people don't know what is bionic or how it works(neither myself).
     I googled for gridcoin in the news section and not a single exclusive article for gridcoin.
To be short and not complicate the community.  Gridcoin needs at least 10 minutes of glory in crypto to be taken seriosly by real investors,  so lets say if we can prove that gridcoin network found a "prime number" or "1 part of a protein fold", "saved carbon footprint calculation", "calculating tides for surfers"  or whatever is easier(for the moment) let's be communitive creative and honest for the "first achievement"  ,  you will be on the news and articles for free and therefore probing that you are not wasting time and money for something we might start noticing in a couple of years then the real world can start recognizing and backing up gridcoin, buying coin and increasing value, then we holders can start "real money"( i mean the 1 dollar level)'investing in gridcoin(upgrades, PR, charitable causes etc), like the vertcoin, darkcoin and doge community does, that is the little difference I see why the price of gridcoin is not at least 0.001 btc now. You are doing everything right but we need that jumpstart.

There goes my honest opinion.

Greetings!

Hi,

You're right in saying that we need press coverage..it is coming, don't worry.
If you look back to last posts by Rob, you'll see that he recently gave an interview and received other interest from investors etc. A lot more will come.
If you look here, you can see that we already made it into Top 100 in the world in average credits..which is a great achievement on its own and it is definitely just a start.
http://boincstats.com/en/stats/-1/team/list/16/0/0

Also look at the price, it already is over 0.001 Wink

Andrew.
Activity: 170
When will the total amount of coins be mined. I know it's still a long way to go but I was just wondering..
Activity: 10
Merit: 0

Hmmm, in that case Rob should edit OP to reflect the correct number of total coins because for right now it says "~168 million"

I modified it, however it might go down to somewhere between 168 million and 300 million after our pools go live, since cpuminers will have to hash using minerd (cpuminer-scrypt).

That should be a boon for our exchange value.

Grid

I noticed that on the gridcoin.us homepage it also mentions 168 million coins in a couple places
Activity: 95
Merit: 10
Hello gridcoin community,  I just invested in gridcoin and also early adopter and investor in Vertcoin and Darkcoin.  I have noticed that this coin have been for a
Couple of months and for gridcoins potential and qualities is vastly undervalued and I think I know why.

We just need to focus on one task to make the "first scientific achievement",  with gridcoin mining network, No matter if is insignificant. I mean as stated bu other blogger before, people don't know what is bionic or how it works(neither myself).
     I googled for gridcoin in the news section and not a single exclusive article for gridcoin.
To be short and not complicate the community.  Gridcoin needs at least 10 minutes of glory in crypto to be taken seriosly by real investors,  so lets say if we can prove that gridcoin network found a "prime number" or "1 part of a protein fold", "saved carbon footprint calculation", "calculating tides for surfers"  or whatever is easier(for the moment) let's be communitive creative and honest for the "first achievement"  ,  you will be on the news and articles for free and therefore probing that you are not wasting time and money for something we might start noticing in a couple of years then the real world can start recognizing and backing up gridcoin, buying coin and increasing value, then we holders can start "real money"( i mean the 1 dollar level)'investing in gridcoin(upgrades, PR, charitable causes etc), like the vertcoin, darkcoin and doge community does, that is the little difference I see why the price of gridcoin is not at least 0.001 btc now. You are doing everything right but we need that jumpstart.

There goes my honest opinion.

Greetings!

Activity: 296
Merit: 250
Just upgraded the web site to HTTPS:
https://www.gridcoin.us

Working on the issue where chrome showing a malicious download and I have found a path to resolution but its going to take a few days (at least):
* Site must be HTTPS (SSL) for the download - Done
* Sites owner's Org (gridcoin) must sign up for google webmaster tools - Done
* Site must find what virus ever existed and flagged in google database - Done (was cgminer.zip, extracted contains password cracker which as we know is really a miner)
* Site removes the malware (done... cgminer_base64 is not flagged as a virus, tested)
* Site must re-apply for evaluation from google (done)

Now we wait a couple of days to see if they clear the warning for gridcoin.msi

Best Regards,
Rob H.

cgminer_base64.zip is corrupt in my directory installed from 8.4 msi
Coinoholic
Everything seems to be working, just got a 1.5 GRC immature payout. No blocks found yet with my GPU, still showing 0 utilization though. Not sure what the deal is
is there any pro/con to running multiple projects at a time rather than 1 single project?
Yes, awhile ago one of the BOINC projects had their server die and it took them some time to get it fixed.  So that whole time there were no new work units available for that project and unable to submit completed work, which would hurt your GRC BOINC utilization.  If you regularly monitor it you'd notice and could add another project in its place, but it is a better idea to run a few projects to avoid such a situation.
Coinoholic
If you are running ~1mhash on GPU mining @ the current difficulty it will take a while to solve a block. Remember this is not like regular mining where you submit shares, here you have to solve the whole block!

Did you specify the boinc install folder and data folder in gridcoin.conf ?

boincappfolder=C:\Program Files\Boinc\
boincdatafolder=C:\ProgramData\Boinc\

I haven't done that, I let Boinc install to the default. The only thing is I'm on win7 64 bit. Should I add that and change it to Program Files (x86)\Boinc\ ?

edit: nvm program data does exist. Added those lines changing to x86 for appfolder. Still no change =\
legendary
If you are running ~1mhash on GPU mining @ the current difficulty it will take a while to solve a block. Remember this is not like regular mining where you submit shares, here you have to solve the whole block!

Did you specify the boinc install folder and data folder in gridcoin.conf ?

boincappfolder=C:\Program Files\Boinc\
boincdatafolder=C:\ProgramData\Boinc\

GPU mining secures the block chain as you are familiar with on other coins.  The twist is that the block rewards are variable depending on how much BOINC utilization you have.  It will take a while (week or so?) to build up to 100% utilization in the GRC wallet because you need to accumulate BOINC credits, but if you are running BOINC on your CPU you should see some utilization right away.
CPU mining as I understand it isn't actually involved in securing the block chain...it is just a compensation given out corresponding to how much BOINC processing you are doing.  Yes, you do need some GRC in your wallet for CPU mining to work because part of the process involves your wallet sending out beacons.
So to answer your questions, you would want to do both CPU mining and GPU mining because you get the steady compensation for running BOINC on your CPU and additional rewards for every block that you solve with your GPU.

Thank you, I'm beginning to understand now haha. Sorry folks. I have had BOINC cpu mining for maybe 2 hours now, if I go to my account page for malariacontrol I see that I now have a total credit count being credited now. Only concern is you said I should see some utilization right away, but it still shows zero utilization, 0 processing power, 0 thread count, 0 avg daily credits, 0 KH/ps etc.

also, is there any pro/con to running multiple projects at a time rather than 1 single project?
Coinoholic

GPU mining secures the block chain as you are familiar with on other coins.  The twist is that the block rewards are variable depending on how much BOINC utilization you have.  It will take a while (week or so?) to build up to 100% utilization in the GRC wallet because you need to accumulate BOINC credits, but if you are running BOINC on your CPU you should see some utilization right away.
CPU mining as I understand it isn't actually involved in securing the block chain...it is just a compensation given out corresponding to how much BOINC processing you are doing.  Yes, you do need some GRC in your wallet for CPU mining to work because part of the process involves your wallet sending out beacons.
So to answer your questions, you would want to do both CPU mining and GPU mining because you get the steady compensation for running BOINC on your CPU and additional rewards for every block that you solve with your GPU.

Thank you, I'm beginning to understand now haha. Sorry folks. I have had BOINC cpu mining for maybe 2 hours now, if I go to my account page for malariacontrol I see that I now have a total credit count being credited now. Only concern is you said I should see some utilization right away, but it still shows zero utilization, 0 processing power, 0 thread count, 0 avg daily credits, 0 KH/ps etc.

also, is there any pro/con to running multiple projects at a time rather than 1 single project?

Thank you, but it still leaves questions.
1. Do I need the BOINC Manager APP open and running, why would I enable CPU mining through Gridcoin if my BOINC manager is using 100% of my CPU

2. The OP explains a breakdown of 5-150 coin payouts based on utilization toward BOINC. My mining module still shows 0 utilization after making sure I followed that guide completely. How am I supposed to get those working and how am I supposed to know how to optimize my coin income? Why would I want to run 2 GPUs at full power mining this if I could be using them for something else and getting the same coins.

3. I had a couple of extremely small payments come through a short period ago (around 0.0000003 Grid) which have since vanished. These weren't immature just unconfirmed (I have it set to pool mine).. I'm still at a complete loss and the guide doesn't explain how this works.

4. Do I need coin in my wallet before this works? I read on the Gridcoin forum you need to ask somebody who will "gladly send you a coin" before you can start mining.

GPU mining secures the block chain as you are familiar with on other coins.  The twist is that the block rewards are variable depending on how much BOINC utilization you have.  It will take a while (week or so?) to build up to 100% utilization in the GRC wallet because you need to accumulate BOINC credits, but if you are running BOINC on your CPU you should see some utilization right away.
CPU mining as I understand it isn't actually involved in securing the block chain...it is just a compensation given out corresponding to how much BOINC processing you are doing.  Yes, you do need some GRC in your wallet for CPU mining to work because part of the process involves your wallet sending out beacons.
Coinoholic
Which mining do you want to do? Graphics card with Boinc? Boinc only?

1. Do I need the BOINC Manager APP open and running, why would I enable CPU mining through Gridcoin if my BOINC manager is using 100% of my CPU

2. The OP explains a breakdown of 5-150 coin payouts based on utilization toward BOINC. My mining module still shows 0 utilization after making sure I followed that guide completely. How am I supposed to get those working and how am I supposed to know how to optimize my coin income? Why would I want to run 2 GPUs at full power mining this if I could be using them for something else and getting the same coins.

3. I had a couple of extremely small payments come through a short period ago (around 0.0000003 Grid) which have since vanished. These weren't immature just unconfirmed (I have it set to pool mine).. I'm still at a complete loss and the guide doesn't explain how this works.

4. Do I need coin in my wallet before this works? I read on the Gridcoin forum you need to ask somebody who will "gladly send you a coin" before you can start mining.

If GPU + CPU will net me the most coins I'll do that.

Right now I have the BOINC manager using 100% of my CPU for malariacontrol.net, and CG miner running 2 GPUs with pool mode enabled in my .conf. Everything seems to be running, I bought 1 GRC from the exchange and withdrew it to my wallet (and just had -0.08 deducted which I'm assuming is normal because I read I needed a coin to get started) .

I'm trying to mine whatever will net me the most coin thats all. I'm using a standalone CG miner not the built in mining module for GPU mining getting me ~1mhash between them - 0 shares accepted thus far which I'm guessing will take some time. The only thing thats leaving me confused is my "Boinc Utilization" shows 0, I'm not sure how long it would take before I receive any coins to know its working. I also don't know how to control this utilization to maximize my payout.

Sorry if I'm making it confusing. I want to mine the coin full power for the most coins before difficulty gets any higher  Grin

edit: my user is set up as my address, i set up my user id in the projects console (which has moved from 0.001 to 2.xxx if that means anything). I'm guessing its working, I just don't understand exactly what is happening.

double edit: just rec'd an unconfirmed payment: 0.00000434 GRC. If thats payment for over an hour of work on my system then whoa! lolol
legendary
Which mining do you want to do? Graphics card with Boinc? Boinc only?

Coinoholic

legendary
Mining tutorial: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/how-to-install-setup-and-mine-gridcoins-in-tandem-with-boinc-windows-403734

Newbie here.. I think the OP needs an updated guide to getting started. I'm trying not to get frustrated but this thread is 100 miles long so I have to break down and ask.

1. SOLVED, Joined Malaria

2. Wallet is open and updated, my BOINC is currently working on a project for malariacontrol.net I'm guessing utilizing my CPU. Gridcoin mining module just shows 0 boinc utilization. How do I get this working? 

CG Miner (external, not mining from within wallet mining console) is also now connecting to contents of conf file. What exactly am I mining here if the coins are mainly distributed through BOINC mining which I can only seem to do with my CPU?

**Conf file copied from forum**
rpcuser=1
rpcpassword=2
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
rpcport=9332
server=1
poolmining=false
restartwallet=0
addnode=98.114.181.178
addnode=76.187.184.27
addnode=66.187.94.194
addnode=76.74.177.224
addnode=84.125.196.167
addnode=71.233.139.62
addnode=72.92.48.105
addnode=72.208.65.226
addnode=77.64.220.124
addnode=50.152.78.46
addnode=207.229.136.136
UpdatingLeaderboard=false
poolmining=true
cpumining=true
Project1=108521

Finally, I see the reward payment is split based on utilization.. I'm understanding if I mine 100% toward Boinc I can get up to 150 coins, but then how do I find a block if I'm not mining on the usual coin network. I'm absolutely lost.

Also it says in the forum I need a coin before I can mine BOINC? GC2feRUKAa6uP1aGHb9TgpqbgPVfnTKxdu Is my address if thats how it works. Does this mean I'm wasting my time until somebody sends me or I buy 1 GRC?
Coinoholic
Newbie here.. I think the OP needs an updated guide to getting started. I'm trying not to get frustrated but this thread is 100 miles long so I have to break down and ask.

1. SOLVED, Joined Malaria

2. Wallet is open and updated, my BOINC is currently working on a project for malariacontrol.net I'm guessing utilizing my CPU. Gridcoin mining module just shows 0 boinc utilization. How do I get this working?  

CG Miner (external, not mining from within wallet mining console) is also now connecting to contents of conf file. What exactly am I mining here if the coins are mainly distributed through BOINC mining which I can only seem to do with my CPU?

**Conf file copied from forum**
rpcuser=1
rpcpassword=2
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
rpcport=9332
server=1
poolmining=false
restartwallet=0
addnode=98.114.181.178
addnode=76.187.184.27
addnode=66.187.94.194
addnode=76.74.177.224
addnode=84.125.196.167
addnode=71.233.139.62
addnode=72.92.48.105
addnode=72.208.65.226
addnode=77.64.220.124
addnode=50.152.78.46
addnode=207.229.136.136
UpdatingLeaderboard=false
poolmining=true
cpumining=true
Project1=108521

Finally, I see the reward payment is split based on utilization.. I'm understanding if I mine 100% toward Boinc I can get up to 150 coins, but then how do I find a block if I'm not mining on the usual coin network. I'm absolutely lost.

Also it says in the forum I need a coin before I can mine BOINC? GC2feRUKAa6uP1aGHb9TgpqbgPVfnTKxdu Is my address if thats how it works. Does this mean I'm wasting my time until somebody sends me or I buy 1 GRC?
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
Activity: 30
I think, there is small problem because coin is not very popular... it's need use a lot of way for popularity
etc. a lot of people don't know what is BOINC...

But good luck with joining mining coins, with useful things, its have great potential!

I just did an interview with crypt.la and I think the interview went well; lots of good q&a there; will update when it is released.

I also spent 2 hours on the phone with Dogecoins PR rep; they may start a campaign for us in the future for mutual benefit; we'll see. 

Excellent!
Jump to: