Pages:
Author

Topic: GRIDSEED G-BLADE Overclocking 7Mh/s, improvements and repair - page 23. (Read 74047 times)

legendary
Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002
Im curious, can the bridge mod be done w/ a pencil? ... the bridge doesnt care about resistance right? just as long as long as its closed?
Thanks
Activity: 412
Merit: 250
As far as I checked I think also power si a botleneck of the board. But still can USB port take more traffic with more than 40 chips on USB 2.0 if there is 2.0 on board.
so doyou think there is possibillity to add a board with chips to a 5 chip gridseed?
Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

What is the max number of chips that you can address with the current logic on the board?
Did Gridsed limit to 40 per board due to bandwidth?

I haven't found the data yet. looks like the chips do have an address assigned and then, the data is broadcasted either for one address (work), either for all chips (generic command)
But they are all connected to the same line, no individual lines, unlike what I expected.
way easier to build a board

My guess is Gridseed decided to go 40 chips because of the power draw.
The powerboard is weak and can't hold much more.
I guess they have re-used a powerboard made for the 8chips dual miner without any change but LTC only mode to keep lower power draw.
Activity: 346
Merit: 260
Did anyone check if these companies which sell those scrypt machines use the same chips or not?
I think they do. And if they can buy it, we can do it also.
 How hard is to made miner like that when you get chips, using directly raspberry pi on it.

you still need the firmware to communicate with the chips.
The electronic part can be done, but might not worth it if you only plan to do a few.

http://www.innosilicon.com/A2.htm

200$ each chip if you order 50 pieces
roughly 10000$ = the actual price for the complete miner with 48 chips

these chips are too expencive and I am soure you can get cheapper one.
And if more people takes it we get discount also.

We need to search cheapper chips Smiley

I do not think Gridseed will make these chips anymore as they did sign a
deal with innosilicon

Gridseed GC3355 chips would cost nothing to buy now. Could worth the try, plus the firmware and the design to be improved already exists.
It all depends if they sell the chips and if they sell for really cheap.
They aren't that power hungry to move 28nm now. simply marketing.

I do not think that Gridseed will continue to manufacture the 3355 chips as they
could be signing a deal with Innosilicon to manufacture the A2 chips themselves now.
Good move on both parties as if they can ramp up production at both ends they
will take out most of the late to market competition.

If you can get 4Ghs out of 40 chips but draw approx 300w of power you would
only be able to obtain 20Ghs max on a 115vac@15amp service outlet. That is
getting the max (1750w) of a standard wall outlet, you are putting out 1500 watts.
The volt mod with higher freq settings pushing the chips really drives up the power
consumption.

These units are the first version on the ASIC Script miners and will draw the most
power thus making them not efficient enough as higher power miners. That being
said I have seen some company putting 6 stock freq units into a custom rack and
selling as a 33Ghs unit drawing 840 watts but price was way to high and around the  
same price of a newer 28nm 90Mhs miners using the A2 chips.

Good work to everyone inputing into this thread, I am going to mod my Blade soon
with the knowledge in this thread. Next round of blades coming out next week are in
the $900 range now!!

your power usage looks way off.

My blade running overvolted at 7.2MH/s uses around 300w from the wall
5.8MH uses 170 watt from the wall (30 watt just for the psu at idle nothing plugged)

we should be able to reach around 56MH with 1500 watt
price for this have to be no more than 800$ for 14MH to be competitive,
flexible design by multiples of 14MH (200 chips) up to 42MH 1200 watt to easily power it with server PSU like the DL580G3 1300 watt (noisy but efficient)

Made a mistake in my calculation as for one board only.
I estimated that a overclocked Blade mining at 8Mhs (2 boards) might draw around 300 watts.
At that power draw you could only mine at 40Mhs and 1500 watts.
As per your spec of 7.2Mhs per Blade at 300 watt your only going to get max 36Mhs per 15A outlet
if you overclocked the boards.

The problem is once you overclock them the rise in power draw is greater then the performance increase
that you are getting out of the chip.

What is the max number of chips that you can address with the current logic on the board?
Did Gridsed limit to 40 per board due to bandwidth?
Does anybody think about adding chips to gridseeds with 5 chips?
I think that is cheappest way to make more hashrate

not enough space to connect new chips even if they are quite easy to daisy chain and you'll have to find a way to cool them.
At least, not a good choice except as a proof of concept.
a new design will be better and better components/design can be used for the powerstage
Even the casing of a blade could have been more efficient.

there is enough power for 30 more chips I think and what if you connect it with wires and another heatsink for those 30 chips?

I haven't looked at the pcb drawings yet but I have been wondering the same thing. Can chips simply be stacked on top of existing chips on the 5 chip USB miner. I would think that running Scrypt would not cause them to cook each other but I could be wrong. That would be something eh? Turn it into a 1GHs+ overclocked little monster. I know it would run hotter and pull twice the current but I don't think it would hit 60W. Doing this with SHA would definitely be self defeating if not a Muth Buster's style destructive test Wink
I don't know if the pins on them would be long enough to lay over and connect on top of the pcb soldered pins. Probably not!

Woof Woof!

Don't forget that most of the heat is dissipated by the bottom of the chips.

And you can't simply stack them. they need individual lines to be accessed

not enough space to connect new chips even if they are quite easy to daisy chain and you'll have to find a way to cool them.
At least, not a good choice except as a proof of concept.
a new design will be better and better components/design can be used for the powerstage
Even the casing of a blade could have been more efficient.

Activity: 378

I haven't looked at the pcb drawings yet but I have been wondering the same thing. Can chips simply be stacked on top of existing chips on the 5 chip USB miner. I would think that running Scrypt would not cause them to cook each other but I could be wrong. That would be something eh? Turn it into a 1GHs+ overclocked little monster. I know it would run hotter and pull twice the current but I don't think it would hit 60W. Doing this with SHA would definitely be self defeating if not a Muth Buster's style destructive test Wink
I don't know if the pins on them would be long enough to lay over and connect on top of the pcb soldered pins. Probably not!

Woof Woof!
Activity: 339
Vice versa is not a meal.
Did anyone check if these companies which sell those scrypt machines use the same chips or not?
 How hard is to made miner like that when you get chips, using directly raspberry pi on it.

The electronic part can be done, but might not worth it if you only plan to do a few.

deal with innosilicon

Gridseed GC3355 chips would cost nothing to buy now. Could worth the try, plus the firmware and the design to be improved already exists.

I do not think that Gridseed will continue to manufacture the 3355 chips as they
could be signing a deal with Innosilicon to manufacture the A2 chips themselves now.

getting the max (1750w) of a standard wall outlet, you are putting out 1500 watts.
The volt mod with higher freq settings pushing the chips really drives up the power
consumption.

These units are the first version on the ASIC Script miners and will draw the most
selling as a 33Ghs unit drawing 840 watts but price was way to high and around the  

Good work to everyone inputing into this thread, I am going to mod my Blade soon
with the knowledge in this thread. Next round of blades coming out next week are in
the $900 range now!!

5.8MH uses 170 watt from the wall (30 watt just for the psu at idle nothing plugged)

flexible design by multiples of 14MH (200 chips) up to 42MH 1200 watt to easily power it with server PSU like the DL580G3 1300 watt (noisy but efficient)

Does sound reasonable, all in all.

deal with innosilicon

consumption.

the $900 range now!!

This is far more cheapper miners as I see on net, but still it is preorder and 40nm chips
https://www.siliconart.com/

They are just in the price range of KNC and should ship at the same time or later.
Not that bad, but still not the best deal.
The good point is that they are selling lower price lower performance miners, unlike knc

This is far more cheapper miners as I see on net, but still it is preorder and 40nm chips
https://www.siliconart.com/
Activity: 346
Merit: 260

deal with innosilicon

consumption.

the $900 range now!!
Activity: 145
Merit: 10
U can use a very small amount of epoxy to attach them, alternatively superglue.
yes for now and that is the trick not to sell it cheap until they can sell their devices.
wait a little bit and price will drop like 1500$ for 500 chips, that is worth to make your ovn device.
And you make it the way you can just add another set of chips for higher hashrate.

http://www.alibaba.com/buying-request/hot-products/gc3355--q64-gridseed-chip..html

there are other people with the same idea Smiley
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SET-OF-GC3355-Q64-SCRYPT-MINING-IC-500-PCS-/321394022530?

let's wait 2 or 3 weeks until the price is divided by 4
Actually, it's almost cheaper to buy 5chip pods at 65$
like they sell asics chips for bitcoins, afte they didn't selled so many devices they expect, they start to sell chips for low prices.
And if price is enoug low it is worth to make a board and controller for it.
you can than just add as many chips as you wan't you don't need to buy new devices.

I'll try to get in touch with gridseed for chips.
If they can sell chips, I could try to make an improved design for them.

maybe you can try to check who sell those chips in china, or maybe on alibaba.com
I am soure there is more people interested in it so you can buy more like 1000 chips.
like they sell asics chips for bitcoins, afte they didn't selled so many devices they expect, they start to sell chips for low prices.
you can than just add as many chips as you wan't you don't need to buy new devices.

I'll try to get in touch with gridseed for chips.
If they can sell chips, I could try to make an improved design for them.

To be competitive with KNC, we need GC3355 chips for less than 2.4$ each
KNC = 33$/Mh
GC3355 is 90Kh/s for one chip
Pages:
Jump to: