Pages:
Author

Topic: GRIDSEED G-BLADE Overclocking 7Mh/s, improvements and repair - page 25. (Read 74093 times)

Activity: 85
Merit: 10
xcooling: You running at 963Mhz?

Modded mine with 93kOhm resistors, heatsinks & "widebody kit" with 120mm fan.
Stock power connectors with 14AWG wires straight from PCIE of Corsair TX850.

About those ferrite beads; if removed, do the pads (where the FB's were soldered at) have to be bridged?
I was planning to direct solder the power wires, maybe next weekend.
Activity: 145
Ill push my clocks higher, once ive finished the 24hour stress test.

Current Ambiant air temp is 35deg C (95 deg F), the miners highest temp is 55 deg C (131 deg F)
@wofly..

the blades were designed for those crap industrial 12v switching powersupplies.

Im using a High quality atx powersupply, using the 12v pcie rails. Not going to be that amount of noise.

Hardware error wise.. 0.1% .. is acceptable in my book. Stock unmodifed i had 5%

Btw..

Activity: 378
Merit: 250
Radical! Just Radical!
Think there's any chance of getting to more than 8MHs?
Those heat sinks are humongous!
Also, removing the FB's will probably add noise to the supported circuit and may cause more HW errors than it's worth. Hope not. I know that under overclock conditions, those little things are like tiny fire crackers just waiting to be lit off!  Grin
Nice work guys! Nice workmanship!
Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

however by killing the ferrite beads the voltage/current seems to be increased for the chips.

heat is wasted power, at least for us, so you should be right.

Ive tested up to 50kOhm, and had 3 thermal probes attached to various components.

however by killing the ferrite beads the voltage/current seems to be increased for the chips.

Right now im waiting for the chips to "burn in" and then ill increase the frequency to 1000+
@J4bberwock , my thoughts exactly.

The heatsinks on the rear were from an old amd athlon cpu cooler, cut in half. (half per a board)

the small blue heatsinks i salvaged from old graphics cards, however you can make some if you cut up a small chipset heatsink.
initial overclocking and modding

completed unit

with these heatsinks and at least a fan blowing on them or a cover to direct the flow of the stock fan, you could try 43k resistor too.
Higher than 43k, and it will stop sending shares after a few minutes or seconds on mine, even after extra cooling.

Thanks for your feedback on ferrite beads removal and direct soldering for less heat

Btw, where did you get the heatsinks from?
the bigger ones look like they were made for CPU.
The small blue ones are nice and I like blue.
So these units are now on sale everywhere for about $1,100.. I'm wondering why.. something has got to be driving that cut..

I just heard the Blades are going for around $960 each and the pods are going for $65...
The new A2 is being sold for $12,000...
Man, what a racket!
It's like the olden days when I was Mr. cutting edge! Expensive game and right now, the way things are changing so fast, hardly profitable! Sheeeeiiiiittttt!

A2 is 12.5x the price of a blade for basically 13x the hashing power, so not that bad.
but in a month or so, the A2 will cost around 5000$ if not less.
the race has begun.
bye bye ROI.

I'm still curious if A2 can be hardware modded to 50% boost, but they are too pricey for now. I can't afford to pay one to play with it.

I'll stick with the zeusminer blizzard when it will hit 100$ in 1 or 2 weeks as my next project.

Too bad knc and innosilicon don't have entry level miners to test for cheap in the 150-200$ range.

For now, the blade was fun to mod, I'll keep working on my homemade powerboard, just as a proof of concept.
Without heavy changes to the powerboard, we will be limited around 7.3Mh/s, but the chips can provide 8Mh/s with 47k or 49.9k resistor on one blade and I want to reach it.

initial overclocking and modding

completed unit

ferrite beads removal and direct soldering took away 20degC of heat output on the top of the pcb.
capacitor replacement and extra heatsinks is to prolong life
When i got the blade it would do a 800mhz and no more.. with an average hash rate of 5.2.. and a 5% hardware error rate.

1.3 mh/s for 30mins of soldering.. which is a 25% increase in hash rate...

which is worth a minimum of 0.2 btc extra per a month... you decide if it was worth it.
Activity: 826
°^°
sounds like a lot of work for just one pod more of hashrate

tried 7mh or more? are the midgets still the bottleneck?
39Kohm resistor
replaced 16v 220uf capacitor with 35v 220uf
ferrite beads removed
heatsinks added
directly soldered power cables
So these units are now on sale everywhere for about $1,100.. I'm wondering why.. something has got to be driving that cut..

I just heard the Blades are going for around $960 each and the pods are going for $65...
The new A2 is being sold for $12,000...
Man, what a racket!
It's like the olden days when I was Mr. cutting edge! Expensive game and right now, the way things are changing so fast, hardly profitable! Sheeeeiiiiittttt!
Activity: 1151
Merit: 528
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
Is anybody tried yet hashra firmware? How do you upload it?
It's not firmware for the Blade. It's Hashra's own RPI image. See here to download it: http://hashra.com/support/

If you run windows, just download Win32 Disk Imager. Give it the drive letter for your SD card and point it to the HASHRA image. Then click "Write" and off you go.
legendary
Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

I wonder if its actual blade firmware or .. just their dumb rpi image.
Activity: 412
Heads up guys....
FIRMWARE UPGRADE NOW OUT & EARLY SHIPPING DATE FOR HASHRA LUNAR LANDER.
We are very happy to have just released a major upgrade to our very own firmware "CONTROLA", if you haven't done so already please make sure you now click on "Update Firmware". You should be on version 1.4.5. This is for all Gridseed based Miners, BLADE, ATLANTIS and MINI.

New updates include:
More frequency options, Magic number for BLADE Clock Speed is 838. ; )

Advanced settings section allowing individual miner clock speed control.

New drop down menu for easy selection of clock speed.

Also with individual miner control features including miner serial number.

AND SOME LAST MINUTE GOOD NEWS…
The early production of the Lunar Lander is ahead of schedule, yes you did hear that right… Ahead of schedule! Batch 1 will now be shipping out no later that 31st May 2014.

Perhaps this new firmware will also work well with your overclocked blades. It also may work so well that you won't even need to do any hardware mods to the blade at all.
Of course, there is always room for a few more hashes..

Pages:
Jump to: