Pages:
Author

Topic: [Guide] Dogie's Comprehensive Manufacturer Trustworthiness Guide [1st Feb 2016] - page 6. (Read 131287 times)

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

Here's a situation I could've used one of your TLDR's. I'm going to base this discussion on the fact that you aren't biased towards any company, but to be fair it gets harder to believe every post. I am a fan and customer of both Bitmain and Spondoolies.

Anyways, with my second question I was questioning your model for evaluation, which is of course up to you it's your thread (though for the sake of transparency, don't call it a "Free resource guide". You auction off advertising space.  It's like calling a YouTube channel a free community resource based on hardship and the goodness of one's soul.  Traffic = money, cut the altruistim act)  I still believe you are misleading potential customers by labelling them as taking pre-orders, your rating makes them look like they are selling pre-orders at present.  If they do start selling pre-orders, I just don't see why it can't be changed to reflect their current business model in the same way Bitmain's was down-graded at the time they decided to. Consumers are generally smart enough to know if they are buying something physical or hopes and dreams, and even the shadiest hardware companies haven't lied about whether products were in stock or not.  

As for the future criteria you have established, who the hell are you to decide whether a company can fund its next generation of hardware with or without pre-orders, are you their accountant?  Also, to satisfy your criteria why do they have to be able to prove that they have the capital to produce an entire line of hardware? If anything that is biased towards smaller companies with less sales.  I doubt even Bitmain has enough capital to design and produce every miner for their next generation without selling in batches, and nor should they otherwise there is money left on the table and better spent elsewhere.  Even if someone doesn't have the capital (which again, how you would base this judgement is beyond me) and decides to seek outside investors or loans (still not pre-orders, as the risk still falls on the company) why the hell should it matter? It doesn't affect the customer at the end of the day.

Now, as far as upgrading Bitmain's rating.  I assume you have looked at their balance sheets and statements to be assured that they have the capital to fund their next full generation of miners? Because they have clearly accepted pre-orders in the same time frame as SP-Tech w/ their L1. You are basing your "future" criteria in this instance on past performance by using their 28nm line-up, which shows how flawed that logic is. It's called speculation, at least have the decency to admit it.

Lastly, if you really want to be specific and follow the word of the law (which you have shown to whole-heartedly), Bitmain sells their miners as a pre-order, even if it's only a few weeks:

Antminer S2 goes on sale March 14th Expected ship date: April 1st
Antminer S3 goes on sale: June 30th  Expected ship date: July 10th-20th
Antminer S4 goes on sale: September 16th Expected ship date: End of September

So tell me, exactly how does receiving funds and not shipping products for 2 weeks+ not qualify as a pre-order according to your criteria?  

You claim to be bias-free, but all of your qualifying criteria are completely subjectively based.  It appears you make up whatever qualifiers you need to justify your ratings and decisions instead of the other way around.  That is not neutral.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, you keep telling SP-Tech that you will upgrade their rating when they release their next generation hardware and sell from stock. BMT SOLD PRE-ORDERS IN NOVEMBER, YET STRANGELY I STILL DON'T SEE THEIR 16NM LINE RELEASED? That my friend, is complete hypocrisy.

If nothing else, I ask that you please address this question directly: Why has BMT been upgraded without having released a new generation of miners without pre-orders, when SP-Tech is not being held by the same standard?

Bias is why.

One can only wonder who Fatman is but his posts are very familiar in style and format to another that POSTS here in hardware. Do your own comparisons. Particularly the style of picture and faux dialogue. There is dogshit on somebody's shoes we can all smell it.

Note Technobit ratings still remain unchanged. Astonishing given the countless posts recently. Beyond me how anyone would think that bias doesn't enter into his ratings. It is clearly skewed to those he has "positive" relationships with versus the reality of the consumer calls for refunds and hardware.
donator
Activity: 1414
Merit: 1051
Spondoolies, Beam & DAGlabs
To all the readers of this thread:

Due to a non related dispute we have with the thread owner, he is badmouthing us and spread rumors and lies.

I ask you to take everything you read here about us here with a huge grain of salt.
The owner is biased and try to promote his own agenda.

In addition, the owner has marked our company as taking pre-orders. It's another lie. We ship all our remaining 2nd gen gear (currently SP31) directly from stock.

Guy
New page, new post.

Just be careful so you don't get banned for bump-spamming. That's out of Dogies hands.
But I'm sure he'll complain, although it's his own thread.
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1013
Make Bitcoin glow with ENIAC

Due to a non related dispute we have with the thread owner, he is badmouthing us and spread rumors and lies.

I ask you to take everything you read here about us here with a huge grain of salt.

In addition, the owner has marked our company as taking pre-orders. It's another lie. We ship all our remaining 2nd gen gear (currently SP31) directly from stock.

Guy
New page, new post.

Just be careful so you don't get banned for bump-spamming. That's out of Dogies hands.
donator

Guy
New page, new post.
legendary
What's it matter what dogie say's........SPT is going to play with the "big boy's".

Like most ASIC manufacturers that are left,they don't want to be bothered with all the hassles the "home miner" brings.

So,you think the "big boy's" that are going to invest in SPT will read dogies thread & say..."Hell,ain't no way we'll get involved".

Bullshit,they'll see the spreadsheet & can't open their wallets quick enough  Roll Eyes

So quit the bickering you two & go back to work!!!  Tongue

Remember,WE made these ASIC manufacturers.......  Roll Eyes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiZHNw1MtzI

Tru dat, KnC is swimming in cash form investors. And they ain't doing too good on the Dogie scale.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001
What's it matter what dogie say's........SPT is going to play with the "big boy's".

Like most ASIC manufacturers that are left,they don't want to be bothered with all the hassles the "home miner" brings.

So,you think the "big boy's" that are going to invest in SPT will read dogies thread & say..."Hell,ain't no way we'll get involved".

Bullshit,they'll see the spreadsheet & can't open their wallets quick enough  Roll Eyes

So quit the bickering you two & go back to work!!!  Tongue

Remember,WE made these ASIC manufacturers.......  Roll Eyes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiZHNw1MtzI

legendary
Edit: Sorry there Guy, quoted you before you had time to fix it. According to your link:
Indeed, I'm not a native English speaker. I did caught my mistake though.
Enjoy your little moment of triumph.

There is nothing triumphant about this. It's just sad.
donator
Edit: Sorry there Guy, quoted you before you had time to fix it. According to your link:
Indeed, I'm not a native English speaker. I did caught my mistake though.
Enjoy your little moment of triumph.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007
You are contributing a lot to this thread Fatman3001. I wonder how come does dogie tolerates your useless posts. Oh wait he summoned you to post some useless stuff so people can't see the real issue.

Don't worry. I will help SP-Tech by re-posting their stuff just to be sure it is visible to everyone:

Guy
donator

I ask you to take everything you read here about us with a huge grain of salt.

Guy
donator
Where did I call you a thief?

You said that we took 3-4 months preorders on our 1st gen which is another lie.

You preordered 'batches' of SP10 significantly into the future, while not far from release of SP10 were already preordering SP30s and SP10 + SP30 kits.

Every time I need to interact with you I get strong feeling of nausea.
I'm trying to disengage but you keep dragging me into your swamp.

... Being called a liar and a thief by a CEO ...

I repeat -
Where did I call you a thief ?

... what happened in the first generation and its something I discussed with them at the time. Even when they were selling 'in hand' hardware via batches [fine], some batches were being sold 3-4 months in advance ...
Most of our 1st gen customers received their miners within a 30 days period of ordering them.
Some received it after 30-60 days.
Our entire 1st gen selling period was under 3 months.

I've spotted many more lies written in the last few pages, I gave an example of two.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/liar
legendary

An obedient man has obedient friends it seems. How much is dogie paying you in order to summon you here to defend him? Please be a nice dog and just sit down. I'll throw you a stick if you are a good boy.
legendary
What is essentially proposed here is that there are two conditions that must be true to be considered non preorder. The first is don't participate in preorders in the past or future within reasonable timescales. The exact time period is entirely subjective as its not stated specifically, but its not really a problem.

I provide technical support for 2 companies - Bitmain and Canaan Creative. Neither of these contracts has any influence over company ratings.

Ok. You just admitted that you run a subjective and non-impartial Guide.

Let's continue with your filthy lies:

Is there any evidence that Spondoolies wants to be a preorder company? They say no, but I was troubled as to what happened in the first generation and its something I discussed with them at the time.

What exactly troubled you in regards to their first gen miners?

When did they last take preorders? Probably Oct, but they were still delivering preordered units until December.

This is a BIG FAT LIE. SP-Tech never delivered preordered units in December. Let me repeat: BIG FAT LIE!

Have customers been negatively impacted by preorders? Yes. SP10's were preordered a sufficiently long period that there was unacceptable risk put on the consumer. SP30's were preordered far into the future and came in significantly under spec and late. SP31s came in under spec.

The amount of lies in this quote is simply absurd. SP10 wasn't a pre-order product. The product was already developed when they made the announcement on the forum.

SP30/31 customers were refunded to match the $/GH which they originally paid and the units were delivered on time. I was part of their first 2 batches and they weren't late. Nobody complained about them being late. Except you with your lies.

With all the want in the world, they just can't afford to run another generation without significant preorders, OR, significant investment.

SP-Tech already stated that they will not run a pre-order for their next gen, thus putting no risk on their consumer customers. They also stated that they will gladly accept investments, but from people who acknowledge the risk that they take. But this doesn't fall under "putting consumers at risk" since all investments carry a risk factor. So by using the need for investment as penalty for their pre-order score is clearly bad intended and heavily subjective towards SP-Tech who isn't sponsoring you like BITMAIN.

And just for the record, I have no problem with discussing issues when its posed in this fashion. No one is name calling and an adult discussion is proposed. Now if there is an issue we can talk it out and work out what to do next for the better of the community.

Please stop with this lousy political speech. You are doing this Guide for your own benefit, not for the community. The fact that you complain about the money makes it more than obvious.

3) What is my own agenda? Being called a liar and a thief by a CEO while maintaining a free community resource sure sounds like fun (^_^)? 

MORE LIES! You do it for your own earnings by having affiliated links inside your guides. LIES LIES LIES!

4) Do you not think if I was so corrupt and anti-Spondoolies that you claim that maybe your company wouldn't be so high? Why would I have put 15 companies below yours if I was specifically targeting your company amongst all the others?

Because the rest have failed and stopped producing miners?

You preordered 'batches' of SP10 significantly into the future, while not far from release of SP10 were already preordering SP30s and SP10 + SP30 kits.

You are stumbling in your own lies dogie. Now I don't understand what exactly do you mean by pre-ordering. I thought the pre-ordering represents the ability to fund a new generation of miners. SP10 was already developed when SP-Tech came to this forum. There were no pre-orders for the SP10 in order to R&D the miners. There were only pre-orders for batches of miners just like BITMAIN has. There was NO RISK put towards the customers since the product and the specs were available when placing the order!

I have feel you aren't biased enough. Please be more BIASED towards your boss BITMAIN!
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183
dogiecoin.com
(though for the sake of transparency, don't call it a "Free resource guide". You auction off advertising space.  It's like calling a YouTube channel a free community resource based on hardship and the goodness of one's soul.  Traffic = money, cut the altruistim act)[/i]

Yeah that $3 of traffic a month really makes the time and abuse worthwhile Roll Eyes. I especially like spending my Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights being called a liar and a fraud.

I still believe you are misleading potential customers by labelling them as taking pre-orders, your rating makes them look like they are selling pre-orders at present.  If they do start selling pre-orders, I just don't see why it can't be changed to reflect their current business model in the same way Bitmain's was down-graded at the time they decided to.

Because it doesn't work that way around, you can't eat the cake before you have the cake.

Consumers are generally smart enough to know if they are buying something physical or hopes and dreams, and even the shadiest hardware companies haven't lied about whether products were in stock or not.  

BFL managed to sell $15-25M of 65nm vapour-ware, so unfortunately that's not true. There would be a need for anything along these lines if that were true.

As for the future criteria you have established, who the hell are you to decide whether a company can fund its next generation of hardware with or without pre-orders, are you their accountant?

When they admit it themselves in interviews and on these forums then it becomes a lot easier.

Also, to satisfy your criteria why do they have to be able to prove that they have the capital to produce an entire line of hardware?

Not the entire line, but the initial chip run. On the latest notes thats still around $5M and is the biggest cost by far of the hardware. Its paid upfront and far ahead of generating any revenue on that money, where as its possible to bridge some of the other costs if you can be quick about it. If you don't have that $5M cash then you have to sell preorders or skip the generation like BFL seems to be.

If anything that is biased towards smaller companies with less sales.

Yes it is, exactly as it should be. The smaller the company the more likely that things can and will go wrong that leads to the crippling of the company. For example if a company of Technobit's size has 3 months of production delays or loses an entire batch - they're gone. Boop, gone, along with any change of customers with pending orders to get their money back. If a company the size of Bitfury did the same mistake they'd go "ah shucks" and open their vault of endless money and fix it.

I doubt even Bitmain has enough capital to design and produce every miner for their next generation without selling in batches, and nor should they otherwise there is money left on the table and better spent elsewhere.

You'd be surprised Wink You have to remember the scale that Bitmain operates at in terms of # units, S5s outnumber SP20s multiple times over, many many times.

Even if someone doesn't have the capital (which again, how you would base this judgement is beyond me) and decides to seek outside investors or loans (still not pre-orders, as the risk still falls on the company) why the hell should it matter? It doesn't affect the customer at the end of the day.

And that's something I've never disputed and I've made it very clear. If Spondoolies manages to raise the money then great, but as I said before they can't eat their cake (investment) before they get their cake (investment).

Now, as far as upgrading Bitmain's rating.  I assume you have looked at their balance sheets and statements to be assured that they have the capital to fund their next full generation of miners?Because they have clearly accepted pre-orders in the same time frame as SP-Tech w/ their L1. You are basing your "future" criteria in this instance on past performance by using their 28nm line-up, which shows how flawed that logic is. It's called speculation, at least have the decency to admit it.

See above.

Lastly, if you really want to be specific and follow the word of the law (which you have shown to whole-heartedly), Bitmain sells their miners as a pre-order, even if it's only a few weeks:

That's the definition of an acceptable batch, as per the below description. When you make 1000s of units a time it would just be dishonest to say "we can ship all this in one day" and so orders ship over a 2 week period. All the chips are in hand, all the components are in hand, designs are tested and manufactured in their 1000s. Its still a batch though and so Bitmain will likely only ever receive 16/20 as they've almost outgrown the ability to ship from true hand consistently.

You claim to be bias-free, but all of your qualifying criteria are completely subjectively based.  It appears you make up whatever qualifiers you need to justify your ratings and decisions instead of the other way around.  That is not neutral.

As I explained a few pages back, this is a discrete rating system. Its exponentially better than a semi-continuous system as its much clearer and useable comparisons can be drawn. At the same time it increases the ability for some to bitch and moan because there has to be a line drawn somewhere - it is discrete after all. And here we have said bitching and moaning.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, you keep telling SP-Tech that you will upgrade their rating when they release their next generation hardware and sell from stock. BMT SOLD PRE-ORDERS IN NOVEMBER, YET STRANGELY I STILL DON'T SEE THEIR 16NM LINE RELEASED? That my friend, is complete hypocrisy.

I explained this last time, but I'll also add this. S5 > 100x L1s.

What I'd like to take a minute to highlight as well is that what is going on here is nothing different than what BFL did / tried to do.

BFL wasn't happy with their rating so they bitched and moaned. Didn't work.
They then moved onto trying to bully me into changing their rating. Didn't work.
They then moved onto trying to silence the ratings by paying users to leaves 100s of negatives.

Spondoolies wasn't happy with their rating so they bitched and moaned. Didn't work.
They then moved onto trying to bully me into changing their rating. Didn't work.
They then moved onto trying to silence the ratings by denouncing the rating system as biased. Even though they were very happy with the same system only months ago when it benefited them.
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003
What exactly prompted you to upgrade Bitmain's pre-order status anyways?  The L1 pre-order is still part of this current generation, and they haven't released a new generation.

And I agree with SP-tech.  They claim to sell next gen out of hand.  If they even allude to changing this strategy and offering pre-orders, you can go ahead and down-grade on the spot.  Why is Bitmain getting preferential treatment in this pre-order category?

So these are very different scenarios. I'll quote the criteria again so you know what I'm talking about.

Preorders are extremely bad for the industry and put all the financial risk on the buyer. This criterion does not act as a snapshot, but a longer term (both past and future) "does
this company engage in preorders". A company who's business model relies on preorders to fund development and new generations is still considered to utilise preorders even if
they intermediately sell some products from stock. Transitional scores may be used when companies have promised the exclusion of preorders but have yet to prove their business
model can operate without them.

What is essentially proposed here is that there are two conditions that must be true to be considered non preorder. The first is don't participate in preorders in the past or future within reasonable timescales. The exact time period is entirely subjective as its not stated specifically, but its not really a problem. The second condition is that the business model must be able to support preorders otherwise you get fishtailing. Imagine a company which between every preordered generation they had some left over stock they sold from stock. Are they a "no" preorder company even when everything is funded on preorders? That company only exists and can continue to exist by using preorders.

So now we've set out 2 conditions, as well as transition arrangements when one is moving from preorders to no preorders. Lets look at how it applies to the two companies.

Bitmain
Is there any evidence that Bitmain wants to be a preorder company? No. L1 was a bad decision and they knew that almost immediately. As soon as L1 was preordered, Bitmain lost its "no" preorders status.
When did they last take preorders? Novemberish, 3+ months ago.
Have customers been negatively impacted by preorders? No. When the scypt market failed, they pulled the plug to the benefit of the customer rather than locking people into negative prices. At the same time, they over refunded customers over how much they paid (105-110% IIRC). On top of that, because they were $ linked orders the customer made significantly more by being cancelled.
Were L1 preorders any significant amount of money? No. Compared to S3 S4 S5 C1 etc it was a meaningless amount.

So from that above, Bitmain satisfies the first condition. They held the penalty from preordering L1s for 4-5 months.

Does Bitmain have to prove that its business model can support a non-preorder model? No because we already know it can. That company is incredibly funded and can essentially do what its want. This is evidenced by HUGE non preorder 28nm runs and liquidity. There is no question that Bitmain can bring out products without needing preorders or investment.

Therefore Bitmain has satisfied both conditions and can be considered a non preorder company again.

Spondoolies
Is there any evidence that Spondoolies wants to be a preorder company? They say no, but I was troubled as to what happened in the first generation and its something I discussed with them at the time. Even when they were selling 'in hand' hardware via batches [fine], some batches were being sold 3-4 months in advance alongside future generation preorders. That's dangerous territory and that need for cash is worrisome.
When did they last take preorders? Probably Oct, but they were still delivering preordered units until December.
Have customers been negatively impacted by preorders? Yes. SP10's were preordered a sufficiently long period that there was unacceptable risk put on the consumer. SP30's were preordered far into the future and came in significantly under spec and late. SP31s came in under spec.

So from the above, Spondoolies is at best a boarderline satisfaction of the first condition. This is carried forward though and its considered to be a pass.

Spondoolies fails on the second condition. With all the want in the world, they just can't afford to run another generation without significant preorders, OR, significant investment. There is no evidence that their current business model can do preorders. You'll likely see in the coming months how this plays out. Essentially what this means is that Spondoolies needs to raise money, and its more than possible. That is why they're not simply swatted down and remain in a preorder score, they're given a transitional score which gives them the benefit of the doubt and the ability to prove they can raise the money.

Therefore Spondoolies has NOT satisfied both conditions and can not be considered a non preorder at this time.

And just for the record, I have no problem with discussing issues when its posed in this fashion. No one is name calling and an adult discussion is proposed. Now if there is an issue we can talk it out and work out what to do next for the better of the community.

Here's a situation I could've used one of your TLDR's. I'm going to base this discussion on the fact that you aren't biased towards any company, but to be fair it gets harder to believe every post. I am a fan and customer of both Bitmain and Spondoolies.

Anyways, with my second question I was questioning your model for evaluation, which is of course up to you it's your thread (though for the sake of transparency, don't call it a "Free resource guide". You auction off advertising space.  It's like calling a YouTube channel a free community resource based on hardship and the goodness of one's soul.  Traffic = money, cut the altruistim act)  I still believe you are misleading potential customers by labelling them as taking pre-orders, your rating makes them look like they are selling pre-orders at present.  If they do start selling pre-orders, I just don't see why it can't be changed to reflect their current business model in the same way Bitmain's was down-graded at the time they decided to. Consumers are generally smart enough to know if they are buying something physical or hopes and dreams, and even the shadiest hardware companies haven't lied about whether products were in stock or not.  

As for the future criteria you have established, who the hell are you to decide whether a company can fund its next generation of hardware with or without pre-orders, are you their accountant?  Also, to satisfy your criteria why do they have to be able to prove that they have the capital to produce an entire line of hardware? If anything that is biased towards smaller companies with less sales.  I doubt even Bitmain has enough capital to design and produce every miner for their next generation without selling in batches, and nor should they otherwise there is money left on the table and better spent elsewhere.  Even if someone doesn't have the capital (which again, how you would base this judgement is beyond me) and decides to seek outside investors or loans (still not pre-orders, as the risk still falls on the company) why the hell should it matter? It doesn't affect the customer at the end of the day.

Now, as far as upgrading Bitmain's rating.  I assume you have looked at their balance sheets and statements to be assured that they have the capital to fund their next full generation of miners? Because they have clearly accepted pre-orders in the same time frame as SP-Tech w/ their L1. You are basing your "future" criteria in this instance on past performance by using their 28nm line-up, which shows how flawed that logic is. It's called speculation, at least have the decency to admit it.

So tell me, exactly how does receiving funds and not shipping products for 2 weeks+ not qualify as a pre-order according to your criteria?  

If nothing else, I ask that you please address this question directly: Why has BMT been upgraded without having released a new generation of miners without pre-orders, when SP-Tech is not being held by the same standard?
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183
dogiecoin.com

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
What exactly prompted you to upgrade Bitmain's pre-order status anyways?  The L1 pre-order is still part of this current generation, and they haven't released a new generation.

And I agree with SP-tech.  They claim to sell next gen out of hand.  If they even allude to changing this strategy and offering pre-orders, you can go ahead and down-grade on the spot.  Why is Bitmain getting preferential treatment in this pre-order category?

Bias.
legendary

GADI GLIKBERG, VP MARKETING AND SALES

or

STAS OSKIN, BACK-END / DEVOPS AND COMMUNITY RELATIONS MANAGER

you pick
donator

legendary
To all reading this thread:

For example, we started to sell the SP10 on March 18 and completed selling our 1st gen equipment by mid June.

I ask you to take everything you read here about us with a huge grain of salt.

Guy

You should get someone at PR to handle this. You're not good at it.

And PS: Beware of the dogie!

I personally like a company willing to protect it's name. I was lucky enough to meet some of the Spondoolies guys at a BTC conference in Chicago.  They were all great that I talked to.   

I'm sure they are, and I hope I can buy some gear from them some day, but when I drive to my mine with 40 miners from China in the trunk... I need Dogie! I don't have time to decipher some Crouching Miner, Hidden Meaning Google Translate mishap. My favorite quote was : Place the corresponding hubris in receptacle. It looked like it should mean something, but I have no idea what. And with that kind of investment I want to know I am doing it right and minimize downtime. Of course I can sit down and fiddle with it for a couple of days at home. But when I have 40 in one batch I just want it to work.

Anyways, I have followed Spondoolies and have noticed much of the same things Dogie points out. So why this guy Guy here keeps screaming:LIAR!!! from the top of rooftops is beyond me. And if he breaks Dogie..... And for what? He gave them a perfect score on nearly everything and he gave the one product they are currently selling a very good review. That is pretty sweet for a startup company.
Pages:
Jump to: