Pages:
Author

Topic: [Guide] Dogie's Comprehensive SpondooliesTech SP10 Setup [HD] - page 8. (Read 28958 times)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250
Quick question (if you will)...Are you getting PAID for this review...?
Jumping in: None of the reviewers are getting paid for the review. All of them can keep the miner for themselves

Sell miner = payed

but admittedly the producer of the miner has no leverage so the reviews can be a more honest.
ZiG
Activity: 406
Thanks...Good to know...
donator
Activity: 1414
Merit: 1051
Spondoolies, Beam & DAGlabs
Jumping in: None of the reviewers are getting paid for the review. All of them can keep the miner for themselves
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
Dogie,

does the PSU has its own air channel?

Thanks
Activity: 252
The SP10 contains 192 Hammer ASICs arranged into two large hashing boards. Hash rates vary between 1.4 and 1.6TH depending on temperature, and power consumption between 1.1 and 1.3KW from the wall. It contains a power supply, controller and cooling system - all in a 1.25U case.

Then the fight seems to be on for the 1TH/s space

Who will blink first on price
Spondoolies  1.45TH/s @ $4995 = 1TH/s @ $3,444
BITMAIN                                      1TH/s @ $3,599
Bitmine/Dragon/Clones                 1TH/s @ $3,600 (approx.)

Who can deliver on volume?
Who's miners can be overclocked enough?
Activity: 336
dogie, you the man, errr......you the DAWG!!

and If I had a free miner, I would STFU and look to dogie Cheesy and then donate to dogie
ZiG
Activity: 406
Good job, Dogie...for a such short period of time...Waiting for more details...

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183
dogiecoin.com
Thx Dogie for very informative review.
How much you can  OC this device ?
Its generate different amount HW's errors depend of speed settings ?
Can you post some screenshot with that data ?

Higher clock modes tend to taper out at 1.5 with current firmware, which looks more like its capped by the power supply rather than chips or temps (as giving it more voltage between turbo and normal did pretty much nothing). In quiet mode (~1.35) I'm seeing 0.7%. On the higher clock modes it was slightly higher but not appreciable.

Remember the software isn't ready so the %s mean nothing - you'll have to calculate it manually.
legendary
dogiecoin.com
K, so these machines don't have any type of digital display correct? and the bottom gets hot?

hmmmm, I wonder if a unit could be installed upside down then to permit airflow over the hot side?

Do you think that could be possible to assist with heat removal?

No digital display, bottom gets hot yes (that side directly touches the lower heatsink). It wouldn't make any appreciable difference to convection (we're talking low double digits if that), while it would slightly reduce the cooling performance of the heatsinks internally. Either way though its such a small change.
donator
Great news. Don't be shy and post some results when you will have them. Having an upgrade or just buy separately option would be great. If not i think people can outsource themselves the needed model if the results are good and having a spare PSU can't be wrong at all.
We will. It's a bit low priority task for us now, we're concentrating on getting the firmware to be release worthy for next week batch.
Assume that the results will be over 1.7 TH/s in a 20C ambient temperature. However, we can't back up this number for now.
Again, if we'll offer this option, it will be an after market addition.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007
Can we swap the PSU to the next bigger model if we buy it?
Sure. We're experimenting with a bigger model under various conditions to see what the gain will be, if any.
In addition, those PSU lead time is above 10 weeks, don't expect an upgrade option anytime soon.

Great news. Don't be shy and post some results when you will have them. Having an upgrade or just buy separately option would be great. If not i think people can outsource themselves the needed model if the results are good and having a spare PSU can't be wrong at all.

Edit: Thank you for the review dogie.
donator
Sure. We're experimenting with a bigger model under various conditions to see what the gain will be, if any.
In addition, those PSU lead time is above 10 weeks, don't expect an upgrade option anytime soon.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007
I wonder if a sound-dampening vent / tunnel could be attached to the back of the PSU to reduce some of the worst sound.
We'll soon address the PSU fan speed in a firmware upgrade.

donator
I wonder if a sound-dampening vent / tunnel could be attached to the back of the PSU to reduce some of the worst sound.
We'll soon address the PSU fan speed in a firmware upgrade.
Activity: 259
Dig your freedom
Thx Dogie for very informative review.
How much you can  OC this device ?
Its generate different amount HW's errors depend of speed settings ?
Can you post some screenshot with that data ?
legendary
dogiecoin.com
Thanks for the review Dogie - much appreciated.

Can you estimate space between units when mounted in a rack for the possibility of wrapping the case in sound-absorbing material?

Do you think that there is enough space to attach a water-cooling mod to the system?

Cheers.

If its a 1.25 U server, then there should be 0.5U between two on one side, and 0U on the other. Ie 0.5U above and 0U below. This does degrade cooling performance as the bottom side is essentially a huge heatsink, and a LOT of heat is removable from there with extra airflow. That surface also gets exceedingly hot when in quiet mode so I wouldn't risk putting a material in there.

In quiet, the only noise is the PSU fan (40mm) and the subsequent vibration it generates. In normal, the fans are loud but you can't sound dampen them.

Your waterblock would have to be around 17mm thick at max, and may be cost prohibitive due to the unusually large area of the chips (2x 475 x 440mm). I'm not sure you'd want to risk cooling the PSU internally, or if its even possible. If we pretend that the PSU can't be software controlled (which it can over I2C pins), your best chance at modding it would be an extension cable from the control board out the back of the case, to a custom PCB with 24 pin ATX, 8 pin ATX, 6xPCIE 8 pins etc so it can be powered by a 'silent' ATX psu. Would defeat the purpose of 1.25U though.
legendary
dogiecoin.com
Great review, thanks Dogie.

Quick question (not sure if it has been mentioned elsewhere): When you say it's loud, how loud are we talking? I've got 2 AntMiner S1s, and at 1 meter it measures at ~61-62dB (using Android's 'Sound Meter' application, which seems fairly reliable). Room temp is about 20C or so right now.

In quiet mode WITHOUT PSU fan control its 69-70 at 1m. All the noise though is the PSU, its rediculously overcooling itself as its designed to run @ 100% load up to 50C, and its in 22C. Just that temperature difference means its overcooling by 83% so once the coding is done then noise levels will come right down to ~Antminer levels (or less).

The normal and high levels with today's firmware but PSU control would be roughly that of an Avalon gen1. As of this second they're LOUD2. All in good time, the team is busily coding away new things.
Activity: 434
Totally Jelly.
Pages:
Jump to: