Pages:
Author

Topic: Hacking KNC Titan / Jupiter / Neptune miners back to life. Why not? - page 6. (Read 76589 times)

copper member
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464
Clueless!
Hey guys,

Nice to meet you all.

I decided to pull my Titan out of the garage where it has been sitting for the past 2 years to start mining LTC. I'm trying to get it started and mining over at litecoinpool.org

I can't for the life of me get the cubes hashing, controller board seems fine, I've just got 1 cube plugged in to test and it recognises it via the controller board, BFGMiner is running fine, but the cube is not hashing. I've upgraded to Firmware 2.0 but no luck.

Heres a screenshot of the miner status.
https://imgur.com/a/aAJ7D

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue before?

well..you may be late to the party....I think 1 titan for me has made me ....well..I'm too embarrassed to say....but I'd guess in 2 years....about 1,000 LTC ...now like us you probably

would not have held any..but even if you did like us and swap'd it for equipment (bitmain) you'd be well in the game by now or converted it to BTC

sorry about informing you on this..but the shock of you pulling out a titan unused after 2 years is well ..shocking and you will get replies on this

mostly of the 'cough bullsh*t" variety

wait, I have a miner almost exactly 3 years old as of Feb 1st...it made me almost exactly as of today almost 2,000 LTC (about 1,983)

now mine is 1 year older but looks like you'd be well over 1,200 or so LTC by my reckoning...

from now on any suspect equipment get on here and poll us crypto nerds

Activity: 67
Merit: 10
Hey guys,

Nice to meet you all.

I decided to pull my Titan out of the garage where it has been sitting for the past 2 years to start mining LTC. I'm trying to get it started and mining over at litecoinpool.org

I can't for the life of me get the cubes hashing, controller board seems fine, I've just got 1 cube plugged in to test and it recognises it via the controller board, BFGMiner is running fine, but the cube is not hashing. I've upgraded to Firmware 2.0 but no luck.

Heres a screenshot of the miner status.
https://imgur.com/a/aAJ7D

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue before?
legendary
Activity: 3094
Merit: 2239
I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)
Hi everybody!

I have 5 Neptunes connected to a board that, following yours suggestions, it seems faulty.
When i turn it on i can't see anything on the LCD Screen and the led light close to the LCD doesn't flash.
When i can access to this board (i can do it cause i remember the IP) i don't see any of the Neptunes connected to this board.

pleeeeeasseeee i'm going mad, heeelp meee   Grin Grin Grin
Try unplugging all the neptunes from the board with the power off, then try just the board. See if the screen comes up. If it does power down and plug in neptunes one at a time powering up to test.

Either one will short the board or the board is bad. If bad I can fix.
Activity: 2
Merit: 0
Hi everybody!

I have 5 Neptunes connected to a board that, following yours suggestions, it seems faulty.
When i turn it on i can't see anything on the LCD Screen and the led light close to the LCD doesn't flash.
When i can access to this board (i can do it cause i remember the IP) i don't see any of the Neptunes connected to this board.

pleeeeeasseeee i'm going mad, heeelp meee   Grin Grin Grin
Activity: 50
I've been running Neptunes underclocked for a couple months now at a profit.  I'm only using 1 cube at the moment running at 350Gh/s @ 200watts (this includes control board).

Here's the settings:
Die Voltage     Die Clock
-------------     -------------
-0.0586v        250Mhz
-0.0659v        250Mhz
-0.0659v        250Mhz
-0.0659v        250Mhz

Great thread!
Activity: 14
Hello , do any know if there is an easy fix for cubes that makes the titans just restart ? got 2 of those "funny" cubes
also got some strange cubes showing low current on some dies and some cubes with completly dead dies is there a easy fix for this ?
i was stupid enough to buy 12 titans and payed way to much for them :/
Depends. If you have an ohm meter can you check resistance between pins 4, 6, and 8 to ground (pin 10). If pin 6 is low (under 100 ohms) the cube is bad. If pin 8 is low I can fix that, likewise if pin 4 is low.

Remember: Don't run them too hard to burn the plugs and always power down before removing any ribbon cable anywhere. And with litecoin going up in value you never know.....
ill take a look on that tomorrow , how much do you take for each board repair  ?
looks like they are dead only getting about 230 ohm resistance between 4 and 10.
legendary
Hello , do any know if there is an easy fix for cubes that makes the titans just restart ? got 2 of those "funny" cubes
also got some strange cubes showing low current on some dies and some cubes with completly dead dies is there a easy fix for this ?
Depends. If you have an ohm meter can you check resistance between pins 4, 6, and 8 to ground (pin 10). If pin 6 is low (under 100 ohms) the cube is bad. If pin 8 is low I can fix that, likewise if pin 4 is low.

Remember: Don't run them too hard to burn the plugs and always power down before removing any ribbon cable anywhere. And with litecoin going up in value you never know.....
legendary
Well, looks like I am back in Neptune business. Maybe I'll fix all of those oddball boards I have here and bring them up again. They do work well with water cooling blocks.....
Activity: 184
Merit: 103
    Holy crap. Are neptunes positive?

3300 GH/s and 1950 watts , is this correct?

I just picked the first google search result that I found.

Soooo plugging in those numbers on whattomine.com for Bitcoin.

Per              Pool Fee    Est. Rewards    Rev. BTC             Rev. $                   Cost             Profit
    Hour    0.000000    0.000022    0.000022    $0.34                  $0.19    $0.15
    Day            0.000000    0.000522    0.000522    $8.15                  $4.54    $3.61
    Week    0.000000    0.003651    0.003651    $57.07               $ 31.78    $25.29
    Month    0.000000    0.015648    0.015648    $244.58              $136.19    $108.39
    Year            0.000000    0.190383    0.190383    $2,975.69    $1,656.95    $1,318.74  

Most definitely.  Shocked

Still does not want to format correctly, but the info is easy to see.

Damn as long as the price keeps going up before the next difficulty increase its $$$$$ time for alot of the older miners,!!

[/list]
    Activity: 650
    Merit: 500
    Pick and place? I need more coffee.

Power cost in $ + watt per Gh stays same + Bitcoin moon = Yup, Neptunes are indeed profitable again! Grin
    Activity: 14
    legendary
    Activity: 184
    Merit: 103
    I just plugged the numbers into whattomine.com for my KNC Jupiter with the current numbers.................holy crap it's profitable!!   Grin

Per    Pool Fee    Est. Rewards    Rev. BTC    Rev. $    Cost    Profit
    Hour    0.000000    0.000004    0.000004    $0.07    $0.06    $0.01
    Day            0.000000    0.000103    0.000103    $1.58    $1.46    $0.13
    Week    0.000000    0.000719    0.000719    $11.07    $10.19    $0.89
    Month    0.000000    0.003082    0.003082    $47.46    $43.65    $3.81
    Year            0.000000    0.037500    0.037500    $577.46    $531.08    $46.38
    Stock voltage should be fine. At this point there is not a lot to be gained banging on the Neptunes. Hash rates and such are gotten by using the APIs from BFGMiner.

C

Thanks again.  Yeah, I realize they aren't really profitable.  A friend brought them over and it's difficult to watch specialized hardware sit idle.   I have some BFL's, Antminer S1's & S3's, over 80 Gridseeds and some KNC Neptunes.  

Have you ever made any instructional/educational videos regarding electronics?  

You must not pay for power =P

Hah.  I didn't say I am running them.  Actually, I only run the Gridseeds in scrypt only mode.  The Neptunes are new to me so I'm interested for the time being.  I've actually been able to get them to mine at a tiny profit. 350Gh/s @ 205 watts.  I'm contemplating having them available for rent on miningrigrentals.  If I leave no mining pool set up for myself, then they will sit there idle drawing about 25 watts and when someone rents it, it will generate some heat for the house during the winter.

I can't believe those Neptunes don't have anything in between the DCDC's and the aluminum 'E' plate (whatever they call that huge chunk of aluminum used to keep the heatsink in place.)  On the Titans, in videos I've seen, there is a heat sink transfer pad.

legendary
    Activity: 2450
    Merit: 1002
    Stock voltage should be fine. At this point there is not a lot to be gained banging on the Neptunes. Hash rates and such are gotten by using the APIs from BFGMiner.

C

Thanks again.  Yeah, I realize they aren't really profitable.  A friend brought them over and it's difficult to watch specialized hardware sit idle.   I have some BFL's, Antminer S1's & S3's, over 80 Gridseeds and some KNC Neptunes.  

You must not pay for power =P

C

legendary

C
    Hm. A good rule would be to start at 50% of full power. Chips tend to run fairly efficient until the avalanche effect happens with the transistors. At that point heat goes up and efficiency goes down. So try 300mhz on all dies (this is a neptune) and see how it runs.

Now that it is getting cold in the N. Hemisphere, an added benefit could be extra heat, so there is that...

What voltage would you suggest? -0.03v? 
    What are your thoughts on scripting the tweaking process?  I noticed we can retrieve the voltage and clock settings with the WAAS command, but I haven't found a way to programmatically retrieve the current hashrate.

Regards

legendary
    Hm. A good rule would be to start at 50% of full power. Chips tend to run fairly efficient until the avalanche effect happens with the transistors. At that point heat goes up and efficiency goes down. So try 300mhz on all dies (this is a neptune) and see how it runs.

Now that it is getting cold in the N. Hemisphere, an added benefit could be extra heat, so there is that...
    A friend gave me some of the Neptune miners and I'm wanting to run them at the most efficient setting as possible.  I realize Gen Tarkin created auto-tuning firmware for the Titan models, but didn't see anything for the Neptune models.  I realize these are old and not currently profitable to mine with.  I'm just figuring I can use them during the winter when my electricity is cheap ($0.07/kWh)

How would you guys achieve this?  Is there a way to use SSH and programmatically do it?  I'm not sure I have the patience to adjust the settings on the advanced tuning section of the web interface incrementally until I find the best efficiency.

Thanks for the very interesting and educational thread. 
    Pages:
    Jump to: