Pages:
Author

Topic: Hacking The KNC Firmware: Overclocking - page 13. (Read 144314 times)

legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1000
https://www.bitworks.io
i try This Firmware in my October 5 boards and work well ... 820 Gh/s but after 5 min its down to 680-700 Gh/s

some idea of what happens?

You need to look at the bertmod output (assuing you are using 1.01.1-padrino) at the bottom of the status page and see what cores are shutting off, I suspect you have a board and/or some cores across a couple of boards that you cannot push quite as high as the others... If you lower it you should be able to stabilize the system at over 800Gh/s provided you don't have a compltely bad board or some dead VRMs...
Activity: 784
Merit: 504
Dream become broken often
i try This Firmware in my October 5 boards and work well ... 820 Gh/s but after 5 min its down to 680-700 Gh/s

depending on what oc setting your using and how many cores are shutting off on ya...when it first starts up isn't the real gh/s Tongue you should know this by now...need more time to avg. the hashrate out
Activity: 88
Merit: 10

legendary
Activity: 1063
Merit: 1048
Can someone give me a link to where I can download the 'Padrino' firmware?  Thanks in advance.

There is a link to it on page 50

Awesome, thanks Smiley  I had seen that link, but in context it was not clear if that was the real f/w or not.  Thanks for the confirmation Smiley

Well, apparently, this image linked on page 50 does not support October units.  My Oct Jupiter works fine with the unified 1.01 from the KnC website, but if I install this f/w image, the miner won't start - and if I start it by hand it complains of EEPROM errors or something to that effect.

Oh well Sad

sorry but ya either had a bad flash or did something wrong cause i have 2 oct jups on that fw from that link Smiley cheers

Well, I tried reflashing it 3 times with identical results, whereas reinstalling the official release version works like a charm every time.  I don't know what the issue is, but it definitely doesn't work with my hardware.

I can confirm it works with my October jupiter.  IIRC it works with both October and November. 

Once installed you'll see in the web ui under the 'Advanced' tab the October and November settings examples like below

Code:
General 4 Module Jupiter guidance:

October: -0.0879 and 0x231 - 680Gh/s

November: 0.0000 and 0x335 - 940Gh/s

When using custom clocks in the 0x range, from time to time
applying settings can result in VRM faults on the Status page, if so
please reboot miner to test settings.

do you have any other mods or files changing any setting?  if so restore to stock and try firmware again.

another download link to the exact same custom firmware as page 50 http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/543339/kncminer-1-01-custom-bin.html

It works now - I just had a stupid configuration error.  When I tried to start the miner by hand the hardware errors came from the fact that it tries to probe 6 boards, and I only have four in this unit.  I could have saved myself a lot of time and avoided unnecessary traffic here by reading more carefully Smiley

Activity: 574
Merit: 500
1.21 GIGA WATTS
Can someone give me a link to where I can download the 'Padrino' firmware?  Thanks in advance.

Awesome, thanks Smiley  I had seen that link, but in context it was not clear if that was the real f/w or not.  Thanks for the confirmation Smiley

Well, apparently, this image linked on page 50 does not support October units.  My Oct Jupiter works fine with the unified 1.01 from the KnC website, but if I install this f/w image, the miner won't start - and if I start it by hand it complains of EEPROM errors or something to that effect.

Oh well Sad

sorry but ya either had a bad flash or did something wrong cause i have 2 oct jups on that fw from that link Smiley cheers

Well, I tried reflashing it 3 times with identical results, whereas reinstalling the official release version works like a charm every time.  I don't know what the issue is, but it definitely doesn't work with my hardware.

I can confirm it works with my October jupiter.  IIRC it works with both October and November. 

Once installed you'll see in the web ui under the 'Advanced' tab the October and November settings examples like below

Code:
General 4 Module Jupiter guidance:

October: -0.0879 and 0x231 - 680Gh/s

November: 0.0000 and 0x335 - 940Gh/s

When using custom clocks in the 0x range, from time to time
applying settings can result in VRM faults on the Status page, if so
please reboot miner to test settings.

do you have any other mods or files changing any setting?  if so restore to stock and try firmware again.

another download link to the exact same custom firmware as page 50 http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/543339/kncminer-1-01-custom-bin.html
legendary

Oh well Sad

Oh well Sad

legendary

Oh well Sad
legendary

legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220

legendary
Activity: 910
Merit: 1000
★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice
hmm a friend has some knc going to send him this link, he doesnt go on forums much.

hope he doesnt screw them up though lol :/
legendary
Activity: 67
To all people who searching some for over or underclocking.

I've also done a write up for those interested in optimizing their hardware. Most November models will be able to see a significant change:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.5796532

This will help you reduce power and reduce heat... And if you combine that with custom firmware you can probably overclock further.
Activity: 561
Merit: 521
Trustless IceColdWallet
Where can I find the firmware for the neptun?
Which miner was the base? Cgminer or bfgminer.

thx for reply

Here?: https://github.com/KnCMiner/images
Activity: 561
Merit: 521
Trustless IceColdWallet
To all people who searching some for over or underclocking.

At first open your miner with ssh then take a look to the hardware errors. For testing and figuring out I was using bfgminer.
There you can see all errors on every board.

Now on all boards where you have more then 10% HW errors (after running for an hour) reduce the frequenzy to an point where your board is producing less then 1% HW errors.

How can I see, on which die I have to reduce the MHz?  Smiley Smiley Smiley

On the used power of the die, I think as more errors one part of the chip (die) produces as lower is the power on this die,
because the cores are switched off. And for that it consumes not so much power.

After underclocking to the best performance with a few Hardware errors, you can start overclocking the dies which are working fine with
a few HW errors.

Take a look to the temperature, as higher as more errors and the opposit.

hmmm

stoping for now. Do you want more. Details?

Also there is no need to install unofficial software. On advanced page you have enought space for tweaking your miner.

And also take a look to the power consumption. You will come to a point, where the board consumes more power than 1 watt / Ghs.
On the next few month this will be the most important think. POWER
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
There are instructions at advanced settings.

Don't overdo it as it will overheat.
legendary
Activity: 2408
Merit: 1004
what exactly details must put at custom 1.0.1 firmware?
for have max power? Grin Grin Grin Grin
Since I started overclocking my October Jups via the custom firmware, I've noticed an odd issue that I never had before. Some of the VRM's seem to drop to half-power (~20w). My hashrate dips as well, but the VRM doesn't just die on me like they used to. A quick restart of the miner or adjusting/applying settings will fix the issue for a time.
Is this a heat/OC/voltage issue? I can't seem to pinpoint the cause.

i've noticed this on my nov. jup....turning the volts/clock down has helped with keeping it at full power all the time...some cores just don't like to high oc Sad
Activity: 67
Since I started overclocking my October Jups via the custom firmware, I've noticed an odd issue that I never had before. Some of the VRM's seem to drop to half-power (~20w). My hashrate dips as well, but the VRM doesn't just die on me like they used to. A quick restart of the miner or adjusting/applying settings will fix the issue for a time.

Sounds like cores are shutting off. This could be heat, but more likely power or clock rate.. Use putty and BFGMiner to look at individual core performance; if you see lots of cores reporting zero you may need to experiment with volts and clock rate to keep them happy.
Activity: 39
Merit: 0
Pages:
Jump to: