Pages:
Author

Topic: Happy New Years! Seventh alt coin thread! - page 83. (Read 34166 times)

legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
January 22, 2018, 01:24:47 AM

Yeah, this is really a crazy situation. Again, both AMD & Nvidia's demand forecasters severely screwed up

Not a fair or accurate statement.
 There was NO WAY they could have predicted a SECOND massive price jump on almost all cryptocoins in the same year would lead to a SECOND huge wave of demand.

The situation is not helped by CAPACITY LIMITATIONS at every 14/16 nm production line, to the point ALL of them have been running flat-out since they got up and running at ALL.

Nvidia in particular had no reason to expect as massive a demand spike as they got - traditionally AMD gets the bulk of mining sales, but THIS TIME AROUND it was Nvidia that got hammered FIRST.

I see your points, but I think these companies are mostly clueless regarding crypto. Corporations are slow to adapt, and I think they haven't acquired the expertise to navigate this market. I don't see how Nvidia got hammered first btw, AMD was completely out of stock before Nvidia.

Not THIS time around.
 Nvidia was pretty much out RIGHT after Christmas other than "huge markup gougers" on anything higher than the 3GB 1060, AMD still had quite a bit of stock left at "pre-Christmas norm" pricing for over a week past that point before THEY got into the same position on RX 570/580 cards (Vega has been OUT for a lot longer, likely due to continuing issues limiting production on HBM 2 memory).

I don't understand it myself, unless NVidia had a HECK of a Christmas season while AMD's was only so-so, or Nvidia is already shifting production in the initial ramp-up to the Volta consumer cards that I anticipate being announced in late March (yes, there can and USUALLY IS that much lead time on getting chips out of a foundry, getting them distributed to manufacturers, and getting the cards themselves built and some "launch stock" built up).

legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
January 21, 2018, 07:34:09 PM
What are your opinions about 1080ti founders edition? I can choose from Gainward, Asus and Gigabyte.

Also, I could get a close price for palit 1070ti or evga 1080 watercooled? Which one would you choose to build a rig from above (1080ti founder, 1080 watercooled or 1070ti)?? I will do it with risers.

Thanks

price baby price.

1080ti founders for ?

1080  evga hybrid

1070ti palit price.

just do not get this style water cooled

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-6299-KR

this hybrid one below  is easy to work with

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-6188-KR

if under 600 it is good deal
Activity: 131
Merit: 10
January 21, 2018, 07:28:30 PM
What are your opinions about 1080ti founders edition? I can choose from Gainward, Asus and Gigabyte.

Also, I could get a close price for palit 1070ti or evga 1080 watercooled? Which one would you choose to build a rig from above (1080ti founder, 1080 watercooled or 1070ti)?? I will do it with risers.

Thanks
legendary
January 21, 2018, 04:14:58 PM

Yeah, this is really a crazy situation. Again, both AMD & Nvidia's demand forecasters severely screwed up

There was NO WAY they could have predicted a SECOND massive price jump on almost all cryptocoins in the same year would lead to a SECOND huge wave of demand.

The situation is not helped by CAPACITY LIMITATIONS at every 14/16 nm production line, to the point ALL of them have been running flat-out since they got up and running at ALL.

Nvidia in particular had no reason to expect as massive a demand spike as they got - traditionally AMD gets the bulk of mining sales, but THIS TIME AROUND it was Nvidia that got hammered FIRST.

Hey I am good with it.  Selling 2 month old cards with a reasonable markup insures a profit for me.
Activity: 140
Merit: 17
January 21, 2018, 04:12:48 PM

I see your points, but I think these companies are mostly clueless regarding crypto. Corporations are slow to adapt, and I think they haven't acquired the expertise to navigate this market. I don't see how Nvidia got hammered first btw, AMD was completely out of stock before Nvidia.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
January 21, 2018, 04:05:36 PM

legendary
January 21, 2018, 02:45:31 PM
Phil what is the card sales status?

I sold 7 1070tis  about 600 to 615 each

I am about to sell 2 more.

I need to check inventory.

I think they may be sold out at this point.

I will sell more stuff but they will not be  the 1070ti's

I think I have 2 of these

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487264

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-6278-KR

I would want less then the 1070ti's  they were 540 + 30 to  ship = 570

I would take  570 for one and 1100 for 2.

Note these are two eight pin  power jacks per card.

Activity: 463
Merit: 301
January 21, 2018, 01:53:30 PM
Phil what is the card sales status?
legendary
January 21, 2018, 11:09:17 AM
Phil - if you get a chance I would love to see the internals of the thermaltake box.

How cool has it been running in comparison to the other rigs in the room?
Did you mean me?  Right now mine is open, so temps are fine.

No I was asking about the Thermaltake 13 GPU box he got from whatever the company was to try out.

I am on a NDA  for internal shots
Activity: 1151
Merit: 528
January 21, 2018, 11:03:57 AM
The way I would structure the power supplies is have one supply all the PCIe external power connectors on the GPUs and the other supply all the mobo connectors. As long as you turn on the GPU PSU first and turn it off last (or just leave it one - the cards draw hardly any power while off) you won't have any problems. Trying to supply half the mobo and GPUs with 1 PSU and the other half with a 2nd sounds nightmarish.
It's really not hard at all.. I've been doing it for years.
Activity: 420
Merit: 184
January 21, 2018, 09:01:45 AM
I'm not afraid to start a power supply by shorting the two pins together with a paper clip, done it before for testing.  But what about the sequence of power being applied.  The power supply will light up the graphics cards with the two 8 pin connectors and power would be supplied to the "risers", in this case additional PCIe connectors that connect to the motherboard.  I'm kinda worried that 1/2 of the cards and part of the mb will receive power before the rest of the system.

The way I would structure the power supplies is have one supply all the PCIe external power connectors on the GPUs and the other supply all the mobo connectors. As long as you turn on the GPU PSU first and turn it off last (or just leave it one - the cards draw hardly any power while off) you won't have any problems. Trying to supply half the mobo and GPUs with 1 PSU and the other half with a 2nd sounds nightmarish.

Activity: 58
Merit: 0
January 21, 2018, 03:37:08 AM

You'll have safety Nazis come in but I've been running all year with just shorting the 2 pins on the cable, no add power adapter or anything. I was just using a paperclip at first but since every PSU is EVGA now I have tons of their "tester" adapters that short the 2 pins.

I'm not afraid to start a power supply by shorting the two pins together with a paper clip, done it before for testing.  But what about the sequence of power being applied.  The power supply will light up the graphics cards with the two 8 pin connectors and power would be supplied to the "risers", in this case additional PCIe connectors that connect to the motherboard.  I'm kinda worried that 1/2 of the cards and part of the mb will receive power before the rest of the system.
Activity: 350
Merit: 100
January 21, 2018, 01:15:08 AM
Phil - if you get a chance I would love to see the internals of the thermaltake box.

No I was asking about the Thermaltake 13 GPU box he got from whatever the company was to try out.
January 21, 2018, 12:39:44 AM

legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1166
My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?
January 21, 2018, 12:23:30 AM

You'll have safety Nazis come in but I've been running all year with just shorting the 2 pins on the cable, no add power adapter or anything. I was just using a paperclip at first but since every PSU is EVGA now I have tons of their "tester" adapters that short the 2 pins.

or just a one wire jumper between the main and secondary PSU's PS_ON line so they can be fully shut down if wanted.
January 21, 2018, 12:22:36 AM

January 21, 2018, 12:03:31 AM

January 21, 2018, 12:00:24 AM
So, I got the Onda board up and running with my normal 4x GTX 1080 Ti setup.  

http://infotime.com/images/Onda_build_with_4_cards.png

I'm tempted to add four more cards to it.  Putting a rig in the Thermaltake Core X9 didn't impress me.  So I'm thinking of taking it's 4 cards and adding them to the Onda.  Could also take the Corsair AX1200i power supply.  Then I'd could use two of those PSU to power the combined rig.

What do you all think?

Nice you have the new version without the blocking mobo power cable. I'd say just do it, since your cards are watercooled and temps won't be an issue.

I've got a rig of 3x hybrids and 3x 1080ti sc2 (soon to be 4).
http://preview.ibb.co/duZygw/3_EC2_D97_A_D47_B_4_B41_AA3_E_B23_F1_D0_BBC84.jpg

Those 3700rpm fans pushing through the radiators man, the cards are never above 37 degrees even at the hottest time of the day of 32 degrees. I had to lower core OC, it was boosting too high due to the low temps lol.
I would need some kind of adapter to run two power supplies.  What's recommended?  The harness with two 24 pin connectors or the little board with a 24 pin connection, a SATA or Molex, on a little PCB?  The latter is on Amazon, but one I looked at had a bunch of fishy looking reviews (i.e. fake reviews planted by the seller).
Activity: 610
Merit: 265
January 20, 2018, 11:22:03 PM

I'm tempted to add four more cards to it.  Putting a rig in the Thermaltake Core X9 didn't impress me.  So I'm thinking of taking it's 4 cards and adding them to the Onda.  Could also take the Corsair AX1200i power supply.  Then I'd could use two of those PSU to power the combined rig.

What do you all think?

Nice you have the new version without the blocking mobo power cable. I'd say just do it, since your cards are watercooled and temps won't be an issue.

I've got a rig of 3x hybrids and 3x 1080ti sc2 (soon to be 4).

Those 3700rpm fans pushing through the radiators man, the cards are never above 37 degrees even at the hottest time of the day of 32 degrees. I had to lower core OC, it was boosting too high due to the low temps lol.
January 20, 2018, 10:52:54 PM

http://infotime.com/images/Onda_build_with_4_cards.png

I'm tempted to add four more cards to it.  Putting a rig in the Thermaltake Core X9 didn't impress me.  So I'm thinking of taking it's 4 cards and adding them to the Onda.  Could also take the Corsair AX1200i power supply.  Then I'd could use two of those PSU to power the combined rig.

What do you all think?
Pages:
Jump to: