Pages:
Author

Topic: Have you notice how corporations took over the internet ? - page 3. (Read 529 times)

legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1332
I remember back in 2011-2015 when the internet was still good, there were no ads, and people in forums really cared about you. I remember one forum where I made friends who I now talk to on Facebook because we made friendships over the internet even though we didn't know them in person. It is now overrun with spam and advertisements, which the majority of people use to make money. You could find direct-to-point tutorials on YouTube before, but now they're making longer ones. I'm watching tutorials from 5 years ago that have better content than the newer ones.
I have been using the Internet before search engines existed and you needed to keep your own list of favorite sites and you shared interesting websites with other people and they gave you their lists as well, people have become too dependent on centralized institutions when with the Internet they can connect with anyone they like, they just have to make the effort to do so, but for the people of today that is asking too much as they want everything to be easy and as such they let those companies to take complete control over their digital lives.
Activity: 1414
Merit: 574
Yeah, I've noticed that. It's being used for propaganda and other way to distract and destruct what's currently we're having. These media companies have migrated to the internet and they have no choice because they'll be left behind.

Well, we just got used to it and these corporations that have been using all their might to adopt the evolution like with the internet. I think there's no way to stop their reign and we just have to accept the fact that we should be choosy on what content we have to read, watch and search.

In the reality, there's no free lunch. In the internet, there's no free access. All of us have been cheated by the design of internet which interest full of our attention in 24 hour. We spent our whole life more than 50% with the internet. The corporation designed this innovation looks like really ease us but behind of this, they ask pay for our whole time and psycology. Propaganda is one of kind side effect which is supported by the corporation. We will blame each other just because one side that we looked, but the corporation hides the biggest secret just for their own profit.
Activity: 2884
Merit: 620
Yeah, I've noticed that. It's being used for propaganda and other way to distract and destruct what's currently we're having. These media companies have migrated to the internet and they have no choice because they'll be left behind.

Well, we just got used to it and these corporations that have been using all their might to adopt the evolution like with the internet. I think there's no way to stop their reign and we just have to accept the fact that we should be choosy on what content we have to read, watch and search.
legendary
Activity: 3178
Merit: 1128
Everything in this world evolves. That explains why most corporations are now taking over the internet. Almost everything on the Internet nowadays is about business. The different platforms we use are businesses by the elites and they make a profit by running ads on their platforms. Like for example, back then, you can freely scroll and watch videos on youtube and Facebook without interruptions. There were no ads or if there were, they were only very few unlike now. At the present, most videos you'll watch contain advertisements already. This is completely legal though. Only that it really interrupts us from watching instead of listening, watching, or reading without a disturbance. We just really have to adapt or we could opt to purchase a premium subscription if it really bothers us so much. It's really business. You don't buy or you buy, they make a profit in every possible way they can.
We can't even watch something without some ads in it, if it is not commercial breaks, it is product placement, if it is not product placement it is banners everywhere, if not that then ads in between. Basically, it is just too much companies everywhere around the world. However, let's be honest for a second, how many times we have made a decision based on what we have heard online? It doesn't have to be even an ad, it could be a discussion under a tweet and that still puts us in a place to make a decision.

If companies are not online and constantly there, then they would not be making this much profit, if they were not making this much profit then they wouldn't give this much ads. I mean if you are ranked first in google when searched "pants" then you will earn millions upon millions of dollars, no doubt about that. If that works, then why stop doing it? So, companies took over internet because we actually wanted them to, we gave them positive reinforcement to keep going by paying them for their products.
Activity: 172
Merit: 19
Advertisements don't bother me, I thought you were going to talk about centralization of the internet (maybe you were alluding to this and just using ads as an example).

Notice how all the big platforms use AWS for their web hosting? What happens when Amazon, one of the largest corps in the world, has centralized control over giant companies? They get to run the show. Amazon can force small online platforms to obey their own rules or they risk getting kicked, and the alternatives for web hosting are scarce. This is a bigger threat than predatory advertising. You have the ability to visit websites freely, but if giant companies continue to take up market share, you can be sure they'll force sites to adhere to specific standards.

See the Parlor fiasco by AWS here - https://www.pcmag.com/news/report-amazon-to-suspend-parler-from-aws

It's not just Amazon ,it's Google,Microsoft,Apple etc ...

Linux i still respect them,you have the freedom to do what ever you want on Linux and the best thing is that is absolutely free,no strings attached.Sure it's not user friendly,but you can make it if you want to ..you just got to learn how to and work a bit.

People want easy lifes , ok i get that ... but don't let them take your FREEDOM ...once they take it bye bye.

The internet is a network where people connect with other people to share info ,thoughts,ideas,chat etc,That's why we pay our internet bill...if your a corporation and if you don't like that make your own internet and connect with other corporations.

Activity: 2352
Merit: 593
I remember back in 2011-2015 when the internet was still good, there were no ads, and people in forums really cared about you. I remember one forum where I made friends who I now talk to on Facebook because we made friendships over the internet even though we didn't know them in person. It is now overrun with spam and advertisements, which the majority of people use to make money. You could find direct-to-point tutorials on YouTube before, but now they're making longer ones. I'm watching tutorials from 5 years ago that have better content than the newer ones.
Activity: 812
Merit: 509
Wow. This hit really hard.

No that I reflect, you're absolutely correct.

Large corporations have definitely pushed the internet to a more formal place of discussion compared to the fun times early on. Same thing with bitcoin.

But at the end of the day this is merely a part of the maturation process - in order to scale we do have to let go of some of the informalities that we initially had.
legendary
Activity: 2744
Merit: 1512
Advertisements don't bother me, I thought you were going to talk about centralization of the internet (maybe you were alluding to this and just using ads as an example).

Notice how all the big platforms use AWS for their web hosting? What happens when Amazon, one of the largest corps in the world, has centralized control over giant companies? They get to run the show. Amazon can force small online platforms to obey their own rules or they risk getting kicked, and the alternatives for web hosting are scarce. This is a bigger threat than predatory advertising. You have the ability to visit websites freely, but if giant companies continue to take up market share, you can be sure they'll force sites to adhere to specific standards.

See the Parlor fiasco by AWS here - https://www.pcmag.com/news/report-amazon-to-suspend-parler-from-aws
Activity: 1302
Merit: 250
this depends on how you look at the situation and conditions, you may say that because you are comfortable when you are in that era but now it is different you must be able to adapt to this, you must be able to accept and must also be able to compete when there is the new thing here, when you complain about it, you are actually limiting yourself with the progress that is on the internet.
and regarding the internet itself, even though you think it is like that but I think for now the internet is much better and more friendly even though there are indeed many advertisements and the cookies can't be counted but this is comparable to the facilities in it and you should also be willing to accept and try to use this to your advantage because compared to a few years ago, making money via the internet is now much easier if you try and are serious about doing it.
Activity: 2072
Merit: 603
I don’t know, it’s the way the world is now May be? I mean the digital advertising is something that keeping those business up and alive. Let’s not forget that people earn from the advertising and others get published with it and consumers get connected with it. That’s the Internet today we have and I think it’s for the best. Today, same internet is home fir the crypto currency projects and for their publications. We are transmitting the data from the same internet which is being run by these suits! But I think it’s for the good, because we don’t want it controlled by someone with suspicion eye on it.
Activity: 1008
Merit: 104
Have you notice how corporations took over the internet ?

I am a web dev and designer from 2008 ...i remember the internet being more human / person to person even chatting was fun back in '00 ...now the internet ...it's like a giant platform to do propaganda / advertise / spam and  for narcissists to showoff  on social networks like insta and fbook ...in my opinion we need to do something to get the vibe and freedom back ... else small businesses will have 0 chance against corporations and people will be continue to be programmed in to thinking the internet should be like it is now.

It happens that now we cannot be a competitor to those who are such economic giants. Controlling social media with easy distribution, while goods or services offered by ordinary people on social media only become useless spam. Marketing skills in this case are important, but having a team in every media channel is also very important.     
Activity: 1708
Merit: 126
Well, change is only a constant thing even in our generation today. Internet is now the capital of advertising for businesses because everyone could have an access to it unlike before. It's filled with business where everyone could earn and gain money for a living. It's the modern market and it will surely develop continuously in the future. It actually made advertising easier for businesses and it's beneficial for everyone.
Activity: 1848
Merit: 341
Duelbits.com
The internet becomes a dangerous weapon but does not hurt physically, but mentally will be more destroyed because of rumors, insults, bullies and many other things made on the internet to attack certain individuals or groups. It even becomes a daily consumption. Not a few are depressed, resulting in mental complications in someone who can be obtained from social media networks.

Let's illustrate with Bitcoin, isn't the decline that occurred a few days ago can be accepted by the public by the internet and many of the recipients of the news do not filter the information, then it causes noise, panic, and not a few who sell at a loss because they consume too much unfiltered news. first. This also adversely affects investors who immediately withdraw their Bitcoins from the exchange to store them in the Wallet and there is no selling interaction in the market. So that the impact is enough to affect the price of Bitcoin significantly.
Activity: 2310
Merit: 332

I am a web dev and designer from 2008 ...i remember the internet being more human / person to person even chatting was fun back in '00 ...now the internet ...it's like a giant platform to do propaganda / advertise / spam and  for narcissists to showoff  on social networks like insta and fbook ...in my opinion we need to do something to get the vibe and freedom back ...

The corporations have no choice than to chase their people to where the market is now. The internet is currently having much attention that being the reason corporations will take their business and offices and address to the internet where it will be reached. The internet not only helping the big firms but also helping individuals and businesses related to cryptocreency. The adds of cryptocreency and groups selling their trading ideas are all there through YouTube, Instagram, twitter, telegram groups etc. I think the internet has better increased the awareness of cryptocreency more than it has been to corporation because corporation also adopt cryptocreency payment which keeps their transaction faster and far reaching across.
Activity: 2198
Merit: 847
Everything is nice and beautiful when only small number of people know and have access on. Internet was nice when it wasn't that widespread, I remember the days when I was playing CS and we had a call in Skype at the same time. I remember the times when the internet comunities were really the great. There was less spam and more real, educated people.
Btw things are developing and it has it's pros and cons. For example, wars rapidly develop nations, just see how many amazing and useful meds were created during the ww1-2.
The difference at the moment compared to past is that everything turned into a commercial thing, there is a huge competition in everything and these tech giants like Google, Microsoft, Apple and others are the governors of the digital world. The freedom is lessening.
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1168
I would say that internet is not taken over by companies at all, not even remotely true. Why? Because, there are too many places where thousands or even millions of people chat and we get to hear about the two sides of any narrative which makes it harder for the companies to advertise towards. Like just recently there was a topic here about VISA advertisement and we bashed it to the ground, they are taking a risk by making the simplest of advertisements, because it is going to be viewed by millions upon millions of people and will be bashed in a thousand different places.

Look at twitter alone, they have so many companies there, so many advertisements, so many "look how cool we are" posts, and in the end they are getting negative stuff replied to them all the time. This is not because world is filled with haters, it is filled with people who can finally see the truth which is the fact that companies are not our friend.

I agree with you El Kaka22! Before everything else the internet is a world for itself, there are too many places... and it's kinda stupid to generalize it!

My experience is the opposite... since I don't use social networks, only telegram for a chat... on the internet, I am interested just in crypto-oriented stuff... so I don't have to deal with corporations or anything similar! In the end, it's about us how we use something, what places we are visiting... what we support!

Activity: 364
Merit: 14
You're living under the rock if this is the first time that you've seen corpos on the Internet, I mean they're the reason why there's a dot com bubble back in the yesteryear so I don't think that it's actually surprising that they're here on the Internet, they've taken over a long time ago and you are naive if you think otherwise.
This may sound harsh but it is the truth. protesting things that shouldn't be needed is no longer needed now than it would sound better if we used it to earn income there.
sounds quite naive when we want good access, smooth business opportunities and convenience in any case but don't want cookies or ads when browsing it.
it's the same when you want to live safely and comfortably in a place but don't want and don't follow the rules that exist in that place.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1332

I am a web dev and designer from 2008 ...i remember the internet being more human / person to person even chatting was fun back in '00 ...now the internet ...it's like a giant platform to do propaganda / advertise / spam and  for narcissists to showoff  on social networks like insta and fbook ...in my opinion we need to do something to get the vibe and freedom back ... else small businesses will have 0 chance against corporations and people will be continue to be programmed in to thinking the internet should be like it is now.

Not good for the economy not good for people.

It's similar to bitcoin when the movement started ... it was fun ,now di.ks with suits (fund managers ) started to hoard it...sure it is 50k now ,but you can't use it for the reason it was created... to be a currency...

Even youtube lost it's charm with does ads...

Unfortunately this happens everywhere and not only the Internet, if someone has a good idea and begins to make money then they may be ignored by a time but once it reaches a certain size then the corporate world decides they want a big piece of that and that is when you begin to see the activity losing its soul and becoming about nothing more but to extract the last penny out of their customers, I agree that the Internet has lost its early charm and only websites like this keep some of that old charm, which is one of the reasons I am still here.
Activity: 2324
Merit: 454

Not good for the economy not good for people.

It's similar to bitcoin when the movement started ... it was fun ,now di.ks with suits (fund managers ) started to hoard it...sure it is 50k now ,but you can't use it for the reason it was created... to be a currency...

Even youtube lost it's charm with does ads...

Everything in this world evolves. That explains why most corporations are now taking over the internet. Almost everything on the Internet nowadays is about business. The different platforms we use are businesses by the elites and they make a profit by running ads on their platforms. Like for example, back then, you can freely scroll and watch videos on youtube and Facebook without interruptions. There were no ads or if there were, they were only very few unlike now. At the present, most videos you'll watch contain advertisements already. This is completely legal though. Only that it really interrupts us from watching instead of listening, watching, or reading without a disturbance. We just really have to adapt or we could opt to purchase a premium subscription if it really bothers us so much. It's really business. You don't buy or you buy, they make a profit in every possible way they can.

Activity: 1442
Merit: 390
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
I'd say it was the other way around it actually. It was the internet that overtook the corporations and caused paradigm shifts in the corporate and advertising industry. Back then large companies and corporations wouldn't even bat an eye about advertising on the Internet, but years from now they soon realized that if they keep a blind eye to the wonders of technology, they'll soon be left in the dust. That alone forced them to advertise and show off over the internet which is why you may think they are the ones who took over the internet when it is the other way around, whatever the internet wishes to do these companies will follow suit.
The internet was never designed for, or even considered the existence of, advertisements. In fact, advertisements infected the internet and completely transformed it into something totally different from what it was supposed to be. And advertisements only serve a purpose to corporations.
One thing that I would only agree on regarding your statement is that advertisements infected the internet, but this only goes for pop-up ads which is the most annoying thing ever invented in the history of humanity. Advertisements are cool because without them products and competitive products wouldn't be made, leaving us into a much more substandard living situation than what we have right now because lack of competition breeds complacency. So I think advertisements in general are good, pop-up ads however, not so much.
Pages:
Jump to: