Pages:
Author

Topic: Have you notice how corporations took over the internet ? - page 5. (Read 529 times)

legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 6706
Proudly Cycling Merits for Foxpup
remember that Internet is for everyone to use so of course companies are going to use it so they can make more money
That's OP's point (which I've definitely noticed), that corporations have used and used and used it to death, to the point where the internet in 2021 is nothing like it was back in 2000.  Hell, by 2000 companies had already started to attach themselves to everything and anything related to the internet--hence the dot com bubble that burst in April of that year.

There was a lot of talk about "internet 2.0" a few years ago, probably about the time that Youtube started monetizing videos and/or Facebook started to become something everyone used.  I think that was the beginning of social media on the internet, where what you saw on the web started to become user-created posts, tweets, videos, and whatnot.  And of course all of the big companies used that as an advertising platform, and the rest is history.

There's some good stuff on Youtube, but every time I visit that site I swear I'm being shown what to watch by some unknown gatekeeper (probably in the form of an algorithm).  So yeah, OP, I can empathize with your thoughts on this; I remember the internet from as far back as 1993/4, and it was a magical place.  Now there are about 10-20 sites I visit regularly instead of using Yahoo's search engine to find some obscure website that might have very interesting and odd things on it.  Things change, of course, but I miss some of that old stuff.  I can do without all the advertising, that's for sure.

I've seen indie films do quite well if they can get the word of mouth out or produce something people would watch (even if just to cringe through it).
That's so rare, though.  I've watched plenty of indie flicks, and most of them follow some formulaic story or are filmed digitally (which makes it look so much worse IMO) or have actors who don't know how to act.  

Edit:

Now try to talk to a girl via chat and say "hi" or "asl pls" ...0 answers
LOL, now that's old school.  I would have written those "words" when I was in my early 20s maybe, but those days are long gone.  I remember when AOL's chat rooms used to be extremely popular for that sort of thing.
mk4
legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 3817
🪸 NotYourKeys.org 🪸
Bitcoin was never supposed to be solely for the smaller guys though. Bitcoin is literally for everyone, and that includes the suits.

Fortunately though, them having bitcoin doesn't give them power over the network. Bitcoin isn't proof of stake. Tongue

but you can't use it for the reason it was created... to be a currency...
Except the fact that you actually can. Mostly just not directly due to Bitcoin not being heavily adopted yet.
copper member
Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071
https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory
I think the current world economy makes wealthy entities by:
1. Having money
2. Investing from having interests/doing research and taking risks to some extent with a small amount of money.

I've seen indie films do quite well if they can get the word of mouth out or produce something people would watch (even if just to cringe through it).

It's obviously hard to move up and become wealthier in the system because there are many flaws: people get paid for work based on how much demand there is and not on how hard working they are.
Activity: 1120
Merit: 68
That's the way things have gone, remember that Internet is for everyone to use so of course companies are going to use it so they can make more money, remember that where there's more people, you can be sure that these companies are also in that place too.
Activity: 172
Merit: 19
Have you notice how corporations took over the internet ?

I am a web dev and designer from 2008 ...i remember the internet being more human / person to person even chatting was fun back in '00 ...now the internet ...it's like a giant platform to do propaganda / advertise / spam and  for narcissists to showoff  on social networks like insta and fbook ...in my opinion we need to do something to get the vibe and freedom back ... else small businesses will have 0 chance against corporations and people will be continue to be programmed in to thinking the internet should be like it is now.

Not good for the economy not good for people.

It's similar to bitcoin when the movement started ... it was fun ,now di.ks with suits (fund managers ) started to hoard it...sure it is 50k now ,but you can't use it for the reason it was created... to be a currency...

Even youtube lost it's charm with does ads...

Pages:
Jump to: