Author

Topic: Health and Religion - page 132. (Read 210868 times)

donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007
Poor impulse control.
March 01, 2016, 03:01:09 AM

Our native built-in moral code may be helpful for daily decisions within local social groups but there is little reason to think it functional when dealing with those outside our local social groups.

Your error is your continued insistence to lay the limitations of humanity on the doorstep of religion when in actual fact religion is a critical and perhaps primary mechanism for overcoming these limitations.

There is plenty of reason to think that it is functional outside of small groups. Every day I experience interactions with people with whom I do not share an in-group relationship, and yet I don't judge them as unreliable and those people don't judge me unreliable.

Religion does not help overcome these problems when they involve out groups. Religions are, by their nature, inward facing.
donator
Poor impulse control.
March 01, 2016, 01:24:58 AM
Atheism as opposed to agnosticism is a statement of certainty. True belief in an unproven assertion is an act of faith. I will leave it to the reader to decide if this specific act of faith constitutes a religion.

I'm not sure about that. The only time I care about religion is when I see BADecker post nonsense. Otherwise I spend no time thinking or caring about religion at all. Is  rejecting even caring about the existence of god atheist or agnostic?
Activity: 798
Merit: 722
February 29, 2016, 11:50:35 PM
Atheism as opposed to agnosticism is a statement of certainty. True belief in an unproven assertion is an act of faith. I will leave it to the reader to decide if this specific act of faith constitutes a religion.

Atheism and agnostic are not mutually exclusive...

Gnosis has to do with certainty, atheism is a belief (rather, rejection of your beliefs), not a certainty

You can be an Agnostic Atheist or a Gnostic Atheist

Atheists are not required to know for certain that zero gods exist... That is ignorant, uninformed, and makes you look foolish claiming that you know Atheists better than an actual Atheist does

How about you define your religion, and let Atheist define our non-religion in a way that makes sense to those of us who aren't delusional?
 Thanks
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1055
February 29, 2016, 10:40:35 PM
Atheism is a religion. No matter what nonsense atheists claim.

Atheism is the acceptance of the following assumption:

Theism cannot be definitively and empirically proven and is therefore untrue.

This assumption leads to the rejection of religion when individual atheist decide that they are unconvinced by the available data. Acceptance of this assumption is an error for the following reasons:

1) Metaphysically because the choice (in isolation) voids the existing moral structure rendering the decision itself morally incoherent.

2) Biologically because a sound moral structure is necessary for a healthy life and rejecting traditional structures appears to reduce health, happiness, and fertility.

3) Anthropologically because religion is a critical and perhaps primary mechanism for overcoming our species-specific upper limit to group size which is set by purely cognitive constraints.

In addition we must consider that the assumption itself may simply be false. Specifically:

Theism may be correct and true even if it cannot be definitively and empirically proven.

Activity: 350
Merit: 250
★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice
February 29, 2016, 09:39:16 PM
Is it relevant if atheism is a religion or not? Even if it isn't, of course.
Let's suppose that you're right and it is a religion. It is the religion in which people believe God doesn't exist. So what? People still think the same thing.
It's so weird to believe that somewhere there is a super powerful entity that created man, which is so limited compared to it and that that entity cares for the well-being of each and everyone of us, and still, after seeing all the bad things that happen, to believe that He is good and all the horrible things happening are some sort of master plan. And after all that, after death, there is a place where everyone of us will be happy forever. Happy meaning that heaven will be after the life preferences of each of us.
It just doesn't make sense. You can turn it any way you like. It still won't compute.
donator
Poor impulse control.
February 29, 2016, 09:05:14 PM
Here's an explanation of why atheism is not a religion, by people who should know:

http://atheists.org/activism/resources/what-is-atheism?

Is atheism a form of religion?
Atheism is not a belief system nor is it a religion. While there are some religions that are atheistic (certain sects of Buddhism, for example), that does not mean that atheism is a religion.

donator
Poor impulse control.
February 29, 2016, 09:01:18 PM
Atheism = Poison ? IMO, Religion is poison to the mind but Non-belief is God is the true poison of the soul!!

One of the most poisonous religions is the religion of atheism. It has such a variety of dogma that it seems to not be religion, until you stand it up next to the definition of "religion" and compare.

Cool

There we go. I'm going to start counting the number of times you post your "religion of atheism" bullshit per page. I think I can probably model it, and then you won't even have to post it yourself -- you can just use a bot.

You can thank me later!

Why should I thank you because you learned how to count. Maybe sometime you will learn how to use the things that you count, and you will finally see that atheism is a religion. Of course, that wouldn't mean you would admit it.

Cool

If I use some arbitrary countable objects I will see atheism is a religion?

You are asking me? Why don't you use the dictionary and make a comparison?

Cool

I'm asking you because arbitrary counting objects don't define religions, in any dictionary. You have made the claim that they do.
legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 1373
February 29, 2016, 08:59:59 PM
Atheism = Poison ? IMO, Religion is poison to the mind but Non-belief is God is the true poison of the soul!!

One of the most poisonous religions is the religion of atheism. It has such a variety of dogma that it seems to not be religion, until you stand it up next to the definition of "religion" and compare.

Cool

There we go. I'm going to start counting the number of times you post your "religion of atheism" bullshit per page. I think I can probably model it, and then you won't even have to post it yourself -- you can just use a bot.

You can thank me later!

Why should I thank you because you learned how to count. Maybe sometime you will learn how to use the things that you count, and you will finally see that atheism is a religion. Of course, that wouldn't mean you would admit it.

Cool

You are asking me? Why don't you use the dictionary and make a comparison?

Cool
donator
Poor impulse control.
February 29, 2016, 08:57:27 PM

Cool

You can thank me later!

Cool

Also, as usual you've misunderstood my post. You can thank me for writing you a chat bot, not for the actual counting (for which I've written a script).
legendary
February 29, 2016, 08:54:48 PM

Cool

You can thank me later!

Atheists don't make any claims. If you are interested in nonsense, read the Bible.

You mean that all those scientific theorists are theists?    Cheesy Grin Cheesy
legendary
February 29, 2016, 08:53:17 PM

Cool

You can thank me later!

I -- and most people -- use a definition of 'religion' which includes belief in the supernatural.

Do you have any idea how ridiculous and self contradictory "Church of Atheism" is?

Religion of atheism is right on. And it is easy to see when you look up the definition of religion in the dictionary.

Cool
legendary
Activity: 2702
Merit: 1468
February 29, 2016, 05:36:59 PM

Cool

You can thank me later!

Atheists don't make any claims. If you are interested in nonsense, read the Bible.
legendary
February 29, 2016, 08:52:08 PM

Cool

You can thank me later!

Why should I thank you because you learned how to count? Maybe sometime you will learn how to use the things that you count, and you will finally see that atheism is a religion. Of course, that wouldn't mean you would admit it.

Cool
donator
Poor impulse control.
February 29, 2016, 08:51:42 PM

Cool

You can thank me later!

I -- and most people -- use a definition of 'religion' which includes belief in the supernatural.

Do you have any idea how ridiculous and self contradictory "Church of Atheism" is?
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
February 29, 2016, 05:26:59 PM

Cool

You can thank me later!

donator
Poor impulse control.
February 29, 2016, 05:23:47 PM

Cool

You can thank me later!
legendary
February 29, 2016, 05:06:22 PM

Cool
Activity: 560
Merit: 500
February 29, 2016, 05:03:10 PM
legendary
Activity: 2702
Merit: 1468
February 29, 2016, 04:31:59 PM
So, what are you trying to do when you are trying to be a peaceful Muslim:
1. Disobey Islam?
2. Change Islam?
3. Start a new religion and simply call it Islam?

Cool

There are multiple other active threads regarding this topic and Islam.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/is-islam-a-religion-of-peace-1361553

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/muslims-are-not-terrorists-and-terrorists-are-not-muslims-1364555

I have stated my position on the matter and you have given your counter. I would ask that further debate be directed to a thread where it would be on topic.

Does that mean you re ignoring the Koran and Hadith quotes listed at http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/quran/023-violence.htm?

Smiley

He is ignoring those violent verses, the same as you ignore yours from the Bible:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/crazy-shit-bible-says-crazy-shit-christians-say-1367154

legendary
February 29, 2016, 05:02:23 PM
So, what are you trying to do when you are trying to be a peaceful Muslim:
1. Disobey Islam?
2. Change Islam?
3. Start a new religion and simply call it Islam?

Cool

There are multiple other active threads regarding this topic and Islam.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/is-islam-a-religion-of-peace-1361553

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/muslims-are-not-terrorists-and-terrorists-are-not-muslims-1364555

I have stated my position on the matter and you have given your counter. I would ask that further debate be directed to a thread where it would be on topic.

Does that mean you re ignoring the Koran and Hadith quotes listed at http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/quran/023-violence.htm?

Smiley

He is ignoring those violent verses, the same as you ignore yours from the Bible:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/crazy-shit-bible-says-crazy-shit-christians-say-1367154

Islam violence verses are directives for Muslims. Any violence directives in the Bible were for ancient Israel. There are no violence directives for Christians. Now, does that sound like I am ignoring violence in the Bible?

Do you have fun twisting things? Thank you. It gives me opportunity to clarify things for people.

Cool
Jump to: