Pages:
Author

Topic: How do you get free power? - page 5. (Read 6090 times)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100
November 24, 2015, 03:54:18 PM
Those solar panels are awesome. But using miners for heating house is common thing, very efficient in some cases. That how it's comes for free.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
November 24, 2015, 03:52:21 PM
Heck of a solar setup Vika NSFW.  I might suggest moving from the Jalapeno to a more modern one.  If you used like a compac seems like you would get a lot more life out of battery.  It would not ROI... but would be a fun project.
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
November 24, 2015, 03:36:00 PM

Activity: 338
Merit: 251
November 24, 2015, 09:16:22 AM
In my area you can rent small office spaces for around $650 USD a month. Its in a new steel and concrete building so sound is not an issue. Power is included in the rent. You can get up to three 20A circuits so if you get them switched to 240V sockets that's about 12,000W (10,000W to be safe) of free power. I looked into it and did a tour, even got quotes on the upgrades (about $1,000). In the end the free power pays the rent and then some. It was not a bad deal but $650 a month is not "free".

BTW, they had no way of figuring out how much power any one office was using because all the offices in a quadrant were hooked up to the same meter. Not the worst idea in the world, but equivalent to ~$0.09 per Kwh and free rent. The local rate is $0.11 per Kwh in homes so its still 20% savings over me hosting at home...
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
November 24, 2015, 05:07:49 AM
I had free power a couple of times - in apartments with "utilities included", but with VERY limited number of outlets and power available.
It's quite a bit more common in small offices, but STILL with limited outets and power available.
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068
November 23, 2015, 09:09:13 PM
There is no free power. Every source has it`s cost, even solar system must be build, purchased and needs some maintenance. If someone has a free power, then he steel it and consume as add cost for the someone else.

If i don't pay for my electricity, then its free electricity for me. Doesn't matter if the electricity we get is the government's responsibility. You can say that the taxes pay the electricity, so its not free;

But that is moot, because i would not pay more if i use more electricity. I would just pay a fix amount for having electricity. Therefore my electric cost for using 1 miner would be the same as not mining at all.

Therefore for me, mining would be free.

Normally it's not the government footing the bill on electricity but a landlord or parents, etc.   Are you living in something that is like government assisted?  

Or is it a company/person who you pay a fixed bill to?   Most fall into this category very few I think have government paying electricity.

You're pretty much right. I formatted the sentence that way just to debunk the "Free doesn't exist" argument, if in effect you don't pay more if you consume more and its legit, then its "Free" to use more. Sure there is always a cost to production, but there is not obligatory a cost to raising consumption.

I said government because since the electricity production here is Government owned which make the electric cost cheap, is thus the reason why those flat rate deal exist with landlords of any kind in the first place.

Personally i deal with a big company, in a big apartment block complex. I don't think its a big deal that i take 200$ of electricity per month during winter when i pay 4 time that as rent. And i don't really think they care, when me using that much electricity doesn't even raise the average of electric cost in the block by 2$.

If you had individual meters and the landlord was just a dude owning a tri-plex. Then yeah they get stingy when you use more electricity than you should. It has happened. Which is probably what most people everywhere are used to.
legendary
Activity: 3808
Merit: 7912
November 23, 2015, 09:00:01 PM
I round up bums, and dangle $10 and a few beers in front of them while they walk in a big hamster wheel hooked to a generator.  Grin

Yeah good luck with that.  If bums were willing to work for money and beer, they wouldn't be bums.  You'd have more success with big hamsters.
legendary
Activity: 1456
November 23, 2015, 08:54:14 PM
There is no free power. Every source has it`s cost, even solar system must be build, purchased and needs some maintenance. If someone has a free power, then he steel it and consume as add cost for the someone else.

If i don't pay for my electricity, then its free electricity for me. Doesn't matter if the electricity we get is the government's responsibility. You can say that the taxes pay the electricity, so its not free;

But that is moot, because i would not pay more if i use more electricity. I would just pay a fix amount for having electricity. Therefore my electric cost for using 1 miner would be the same as not mining at all.

Normally it's not the government footing the bill on electricity but a landlord or parents, etc.   Are you living in something that is like government assisted?   

Or is it a company/person who you pay a fixed bill to?   Most fall into this category very few I think have government paying electricity.
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068
November 23, 2015, 08:46:51 PM

legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1002
November 23, 2015, 06:21:11 PM
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
November 23, 2015, 05:28:20 PM
Free power doesn't exist

At the night atomic stations have huge amounts of unused energy.
Activity: 1008
November 23, 2015, 05:12:43 PM
you open a lamppost then you cut some cables, make you cable attached. that is how u get free power  Wink Cheesy

The ultimate way to get "free" electricity which isn't theft or anything illegal.  Roll Eyes

I do wonder if it would even be plausible to run a miner from electricity that lampposts receive.

Of course that would be stealing government utilities.... But I think they run on 480v so you would need a buck transformer to drop it to 240 or 120v.

Free power doesn't exist as someone gets the bill..but..prepaid apartment utilities, office space, warehouse space where you manage and could put up some miners avoiding the bill.  Also if you manage a hotel, decommission a room or 2 and put as many miners as you can in the space and cooling would be free.  Team up with the maintenance tech split the profits and you could have a nice little mining operation on free power.  Equipment room in that situation would work nice as that space will have a huge amount of power avaible to them.  
copper member
Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071
https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory
November 23, 2015, 05:12:26 PM
Some of the users on this forum made posts where they claim to get free power, where do they get this power from?

Suppose, if you have an antminer s7, it can produce 1btc a month.
1btc is around £200.
Hotel accomodation, per night, including electricity and internet: £40
200x6=1200
1200/30=40

So for 6 antminer s7s, you get around £1200 a month.
Convert this into money and you have £40 a night!
Purchase about 10 s7s and you have got yourself £800 a month or more than £20 a night!

Not so bad but needs a high capital!
Activity: 882
Merit: 500
Where am I?
November 23, 2015, 05:03:08 PM
I round up bums, and dangle $10 and a few beers in front of them while they walk in a big hamster wheel hooked to a generator.  Grin
alh
legendary
Activity: 1846
Merit: 1052
November 23, 2015, 04:59:25 PM
you open a lamppost then you cut some cables, make you cable attached. that is how u get free power  Wink Cheesy

Don't do this out in the middle of nowhere though, because then you might not have Internet access....  Smiley

"Free" electricity without Internet access however isn't much good for mining.
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
November 23, 2015, 04:44:29 PM

The ultimate way to get "free" electricity which isn't theft or anything illegal.  Roll Eyes

I do wonder if it would even be plausible to run a miner from electricity that lampposts receive.
Activity: 457
Merit: 274
November 15, 2015, 02:05:54 PM
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
November 15, 2015, 06:22:46 AM
There are some ways although not all of them completely free but in the long run they might save you good amount on electricity bill

1) Solar power using panels which requires initial investment but you won't regret it plus new type of solar panels are going to enter the market (early 2016) in which you could acquire the old ones in a much cheaper price than now

2) Leave on your parents house and mine all day Tongue

solar panels sounds interesting. roughly how much does it cost to set up such a system?
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
November 12, 2015, 11:47:17 PM
It's not exactly free power but I've replaced my heaters with Antminers so they are kinda running free power...

How does that work exactly? Could you explain?

My office used to run on an electric heater that eats around 5kW and would switch on quite some time in winter.
Running a couple of Antminers heats up the place just enough to stop the electric heater from kicking in.

This is free power.  This is what keeps miners at home mining.

In the USA in the north east many homes built in the 50's and 60's  have base board electric radiators . At least 500,000 homes

every one of them could replace the heating with s-3's So the 300 dollar power bill is still 300.

The house is heated and coins will off set the power bill.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 3406
Crypto Swap Exchange
November 12, 2015, 11:34:04 PM
There are some ways although not all of them completely free but in the long run they might save you good amount on electricity bill

1) Solar power using panels which requires initial investment but you won't regret it plus new type of solar panels are going to enter the market (early 2016) in which you could acquire the old ones in a much cheaper price than now

2) Leave on your parents house and mine all day Tongue
Pages:
Jump to: