Pages:
Author

Topic: How do you get free power? - page 6. (Read 6090 times)

Activity: 463
Merit: 309
November 12, 2015, 08:44:56 PM
It's not exactly free power but I've replaced my heaters with Antminers so they are kinda running free power...

How does that work exactly? Could you explain?
Instead of paying for heat (electric/gas), you pay for the electric used by the miner, the miner then provides heat and Bitcoin. You were going to pay for the heat anyway just this way you mine some BTC and recoup some of your costs, sometimes even profiting.
Activity: 41
Merit: 1
November 12, 2015, 08:22:35 PM
It's not exactly free power but I've replaced my heaters with Antminers so they are kinda running free power...

My office used to run on an electric heater that eats around 5kW and would switch on quite some time in winter.
Running a couple of Antminers heats up the place just enough to stop the electric heater from kicking in.
Activity: 361
Merit: 250
November 12, 2015, 08:03:14 PM

legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068
November 12, 2015, 07:59:06 PM
Some of the users on this forum made posts where they claim to get free power, where do they get this power from?
Some people get power included in rent - In some cases these people loose their free power when their landlord notices a much higher electric bill.

Some people are students and dorm - limited free power from their dorm rooms

Some people are in government housing.

That the case for me, i'm in an apartment owned by a very big company, electric consumption is included in the monthly rent and it is typically cheaper for such landlords to just average out the electric consumption that way rather than install counters for every individual because the electricity here is ridiculously cheap.

So what they do instead is fit the apartment with a couple of 120v 15A breakers and the panel can only support a smallish load after your big electricity spenders (heating, hot water, oven).

And since its cold here 8 months a year, you don't need to pay anything for heating since you have tons of heat available from the ASICs.

So anyways the maximum cost of electricity you could make use of is still a pretty low portion what you pay monthly. As such they don't even need to keep track since they own dozens of apartments in dozens of blocks all over.
Activity: 41
Merit: 1
November 12, 2015, 07:56:14 PM
Activity: 463
Merit: 309
November 12, 2015, 07:46:15 PM
Some of the users on this forum made posts where they claim to get free power, where do they get this power from?
Some people get power included in rent - In some cases these people loose their free power when their landlord notices a much higher electric bill.

Some people are students and dorm - limited free power from their dorm rooms

Some people are in government housing.

Activity: 361
November 12, 2015, 07:22:16 PM
You can obviously negotiate with your landlord for them to provide the power for you.

But eventually they will be mad that you are using up all their rent money paying for power bills.

So better not do it.
Activity: 406
November 12, 2015, 07:13:19 PM
A "free" power exist.
I use Evacuated Tubes Solar Water Heater

Activity: 1
Merit: 0
November 12, 2015, 06:36:05 PM
Pages:
Jump to: