Pages:
Author

Topic: How Libertarianism was created by big business lobbyists - page 5. (Read 23958 times)

Activity: 728
Merit: 500
To everyone: please do not feed blahtrollblahtrollblahtroll. He does not want to have a rational conversation -- all he desires is provoking others by misrepresenting ideas and lying in general. He wants to waste your time and tire IOU out, so he can derive psychic pleasure from you. Don't give him that pleasure. thanks.

I don't think he/she is a troll, plenty of people think along similar lines. The way this person talks (no ad hom intended, this is just observations) is what often results from not knowing enough about the world to be able to consider how multiple factors interact to produce the end result. I think it is encouraging when people are even aware of the existence of AnCap and do not immediately equate anarchy with "chaos". Once bbb takes the time to try finding historical evidence for claims of the superiority of the state beyond vast generalizations like "if ancap's so great why don't we already do it..." I believe a much more balanced view will emerge from that mind.

Here is my opinion: the state apparatus is a tool that can be used for good or evil. This much is clear from even a cursory understanding of history. Also, the arguments for gun control can be applied pretty much directly as arguments for "state control".
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
I have difficulty understanding how some people, fearing a system where justice might be sold to the highest bidder, instead advocate a system where the justice is already sold to one side of the equation.

Easy to understand, when one realizes they literally worship the people on that side of the equation, with the adoration and obedience reserved only for the highest priests of the most widespread cult of sociopathy: statism.

Really, it pets very easy to understand and predict what statists will do, once you see them as the cult they are. They are no different from what the Catholic Church was a few centuries ago, and they will xelebrate the punishment of anyone that the priests or their holy scriptures punish. In that sense, they are completely oblivious to the total grip that the cult has over their warped minds.
Activity: 532
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
I have difficulty understanding how some people, fearing a system where justice might be sold to the highest bidder, instead advocate a system where the justice is already sold to one side of the equation.
About Corporations being sociopathic:

Who determines the rules corporations must follow or get fined/investigated/sued?

That's right... The State. For sure some people and companies would be sociopathic anyway, but if that company wasn't going to be a sociopath it sure will become so once it pays the state for access to the privileged legal system. Noam Chomsky (AFAIK the originator of this concept) says this as well.

Exactly.  Corporations are fictitious entities that are "wished" into existence by people who believe that magical papers change reality.  In this specific example, the reality that these papers pretend to change, is the reality of responsibility.  They have a whole special category of non-reality called "corporate liability", where it is this fictional entity that is made responsible for the actions of the people who control them, who usually end up being sociopaths because hey, with a corporation, you too can be a sociopath and get away with it!  Of course, the rest of us do not get this privilege -- we only get to be responsible for what we do.
About Corporations being sociopathic:

Who determines the rules corporations must follow or get fined/investigated/sued?

That's right... The State. For sure some people and companies would be sociopathic anyway, but if that company wasn't going to be a sociopath it sure will become so once it pays the state for access to the privileged legal system. Noam Chomsky (AFAIK the originator of this concept) says this as well.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1010
Nothing is getting ripped apart in here.  And this entire thread wasn't worthy of reading weeks ago.  I honestly don't care what you opinion of my political persuasion actually is, and don't really feel obligated to defend myself to you.
One worker in a team produces one pair of jeans per hour, and gets paid for one pair. Two workers in a team produce a total of four pairs of jeans, and each gets paid for two pairs of jeans. Three workers in a team produce a total of nine pairs, and each gets paid for three pairs. In this way, there is no shortfall, and each worker is paid for the additional pair of jeans he can produce in a team that has another person in it.

I guess this made too much sense for cunicula to pay attention to it?

Especially since this is a method that is perfectly compatible with mutual agreement.

And of course, when one worker quits and doesn't get replaced, all the others happily accept a wage reduction. Or when 2 companies merge, everyone gets a 20% pay rise. Glad to see you've thought it through Wink
That's why you hire another worker. Crazy, huh?

And in the mean time, you shuffle the workers around so that all the teams are full. You might have an empty workstation or two, but each team is at full production.

And we haven't even discussed diseconomies of scale. Larger companies or teams do not always produce more. Consider: Perhaps 4 workers can only make 8 pairs, because they start to get in each others' way.
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 2267
1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

I guess you would claim that large numbers of people can coordinate through voluntary association. I would claim the opposite.

People don't need to coordinate. I don't know what my co-workers make, nor do I particularly care
Is Singapore an  AnCap society? If not, why are the evils of Singapore being blamed on AnCap principles? There is some sort of logical trick going on there. If two things share a subset of the same properties, then they will share all the same properties, or something.

I don't see any trickery. It's just that all the other countries seem far less AnCap-ish. There's always a lot of theorising going on, but no real-world examples to back up assertions of AnCap's awesomeness.

It seems plausible that the Singaporean leaders see themselves as a very large shipping conglomerate with all sorts of HR and Marketing chores that keep eating into their profit margins. That would mean there is no conventional 'State' in Singapore, just Capitalism. Does that fit the definition of AnCap, or is the "non-aggression principle" a compulsory part of it?

Also its funny that the main criticism of AnCap (which I agree with) is that there is a threat from assholes who want to create governments... yea, exactly. Thats what we want to figure out how to stop.

But that has already been solved. It's not as if there are so many criminals in society that they can't be dealt with. Just create a State instead, which is run by some of the many normal, nice people who are also inhabitants and who therefore have a stake in their society's overall well-being. The 'assholes' tend to be opportunists -- lovers of Capitalism -- who look for profitable niches to fill, such as a power vacuum. However, if normal, nice people lend their support to a friendly State apparatus, then the criminals would have a much harder battle.

I wouldn't expect half-assed AnCap to result in the same type of society as full on AnCap, I consider them categorically different things.

Why do you assume it was half-assed? And what are your expectations based on? Past experience? Other, more pleasing examples? You seem to be unfairly writing-off Singapore for aesthetic reasons:

Further, in my opinion, a crucial part of any type of anarchism is that the populace doesn't recognize any legitimate rulers, I don't think how the rulers view themselves really plays a role.

But looking up to our leaders seems like such a natural thing. Even as children, younger siblings look to their elder siblings for leadership. Surely it must be a law of nature, but let's not split hairs about semantics. If "Singapore Inc." markets itself as such, and anyone is welcome to set up their own private police or other organisations that are usually monopolised by States, does that negate the substance of the earlier criticisms? (Namely the moral concerns about bonded labour, and low value of human life and whatnot?)

Think about it this way, to have a successful AnCap society, it will probably have to grow organically from within a successful state. This isn't just because there are already states everywhere, but because the path from chaos -> peaceful anarchy requires passing through a very low probability space. The state can bridge this gap.

Now you're just changing the goal-posts. Since when did AnCap have to organically grow from a 'successful' State for optimal results? What makes a State 'successful'? If it's already successful, why change it? And also, how do you know?

This thread is not the first case of corporations and other profit-driven structures being criticised for being sociopathic or amoral in nature. There are books written about it. Thus, Singapore seems like the perfect prototype to test AnCap's mettle. They're a Capitalist/trade-driven oasis nestled in the middle of Asia, so there's a near-infinite supply of people who want to go there. If everything is left to market forces, who or what protects the sanctity of human life (or other illogical moral stuff) when its market value is super-cheap? To be fair, that's a weakness of Capitalism in general. But it doesn't exonerate Anarcho-Capitalism, since their proponents always seem unable to explain how the Anarchy part manages to fix anything. Sure, there's the Non-Aggression Principle", but I think they decided not to enforce that.

Half-assed as in does not meet my definition of AnCap. Namely, people still recognize legitimate rulers. I'm sure there are many more reasons Singapore wouldn't meet the definition but honestly I don't know much about that place. The moral problems are problems with states and will be there without states as well. Most of them sound like they are in need of technological solutions (robot maids and plentiful energy). As I said earlier in this thread, this is generations away. In the meantime I dunno, I just know what we should be working towards.

With regards to changing the goal posts, I just gave my personal views without regard to where others have set the "goal posts".  Also, "books are written about it" doesn't matter to me. Why would it? Most books are full of opinions and nonsense.

The anarchy part is that people stop accepting that violence is a solution to problems.

Edit: Also, stop making it into some competition. AnCap ideals are to produce useful things for people to the point where a government is unnecessary. Do your ideals discourage you from producing useful stuff, and instead survive via other methods? If not, then we are on the same team.

I don't follow. If there is real superadditive production going on shouldn't there be extra fruit in the end? Maybe I don't know what you're getting at.
Sort of. The problem is who gets the "extra fruit".
OK, I think I get what you're driving at here:

Assuming the production of jeans is superadditive:
1 worker can make 1 pair of jeans an hour.
2 workers can make 4 pairs of jeans an hour.
3 workers can make 9 pairs of jeans an hour.
(actually, 1=>1; 2=>3; 3=>6 works just as well, production need only be greater than the sum of the individuals for it to be "superadditive", at least as I understand the wiki page you linked to)

And you can never pay the additional workers what they actually add to the process, because each worker adds so much?

That's correct. In a competitive market you set wage = marginal product. In this case you cannot do that without going into deficit.

So then whats with all the deficits?
That's correct. In a competitive market you set wage = marginal product. In this case you cannot do that without going into deficit.

In a free market, the "fruit" is decided by mutual agreement. This is basic stuff.
Without central coordination, mutual agreement yields poverty.

Clearly I disagree with your assertion.

Note how he presents absolutely no argument to prove his assertion.  Thus we can dismiss what he's saying as either an unfounded opinion or a baseless claim.  Which is in line with what cunticula usually does.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1010
One worker in a team produces one pair of jeans per hour, and gets paid for one pair. Two workers in a team produce a total of four pairs of jeans, and each gets paid for two pairs of jeans. Three workers in a team produce a total of nine pairs, and each gets paid for three pairs. In this way, there is no shortfall, and each worker is paid for the additional pair of jeans he can produce in a team that has another person in it.

Especially since this is a method that is perfectly compatible with mutual agreement.

It's also pretty much the simpliest example of the economies of scale that make modern manufacturing so efficient.

legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

In a free market, the "fruit" is decided by mutual agreement. This is basic stuff.

I'm not going to go through the details now, but will elaborate if you are interested.
If you have firms with superadditive production technology, then there are typically an infinite number of competitive equilibria. 
In such an equilibria, multiple players have to move simultaneously in order to move to a new equilibrium. Individual moves are punished with personal loss (that's why it's an equilibrium). The purpose of the government (central planning) is to coordinate moves to new equilibria by establishing punishments and rewards.

I guess you would claim that large numbers of people can coordinate through voluntary association. I would claim the opposite.
legendary

I don't follow. If there is real superadditive production going on shouldn't there be extra fruit in the end? Maybe I don't know what you're getting at.

(actually, 1=>1; 2=>3; 3=>6 works just as well, production need only be greater than the sum of the individuals for it to be "superadditive", at least as I understand the wiki page you linked to)

And you can never pay the additional workers what they actually add to the process, because each worker adds so much?

So, if three workers can make 9 pairs of jeans, and 2 workers can only make four, each worker's "marginal product" would be 5 pairs of jeans. Now, clearly, you can't pay them each for 5 pairs of jeans, since, together they only produce 9, not 15. Your objection seem to be predicated on the supposition that each worker would demand to be paid for the 5 jeans that the team could not produce without them.

This would indeed cause a deficit, if allowed. Which is why the business owner would use a different formula to determine marginal product: One worker in a team produces one pair of jeans per hour, and gets paid for one pair. Two workers in a team produce a total of four pairs of jeans, and each gets paid for two pairs of jeans. Three workers in a team produce a total of nine pairs, and each gets paid for three pairs. In this way, there is no shortfall, and each worker is paid for the additional pair of jeans he can produce in a team that has another person in it.
legendary

legendary

legendary

Pages:
Jump to: