Pages:
Author

Topic: How many Bitcoins are lost forever? - page 26. (Read 43044 times)

legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068
July 25, 2015, 07:13:08 AM
Can satoshi or the main of the bitcoin who made it, can he decide to recover the lost bitcoins that people lost them.

No, you'd create a fork. The code is right there, its not centralized, so you can't just say, oh so i have access *change random stuff*.
legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 1070
July 25, 2015, 07:04:59 AM
Can satoshi or the main of the bitcoin who made it, can he decide to recover the lost bitcoins that people lost them.

no there is no bitcoin CEO, and satoshi wasn't a ceo of bitcoin either, it always based on consensus

you can't go there and add a random amount to the supply just to retrieve those lost coins(which are actually a good thing for the future value), i'm not saying that it cannot be done, i'm saying that miners in primis should be favorable to it, and i doubt they are...
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
July 25, 2015, 06:10:14 AM
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
July 24, 2015, 06:37:05 AM
I know it is a tricky question. What do you think, how many Bitcoins are lost forever and are 'out of the network' by lost private keys?

Very simple question mate. That can be found easily. I need only one data. If you told me how many people are live in this moment on the earth I can calculate for you the number of bitcoins lost not only by the lost of private keys but for every other reason.  Grin
Activity: 518
July 24, 2015, 06:33:40 AM
I guess more than 1 million, it doesn't matter, it can't affect the future of bitcoin.

Of course it can affect the future of Bitcoin, imagine that there's 1 million coins lost and another 10k coins lost every day. This is likely possible to happen and it will affect Bitcoin a lot. Price will go up and there will be smaller and smaller rate BTC / user.
Activity: 532
July 24, 2015, 06:28:43 AM
I guess more than 1 million, it doesn't matter, it can't affect the future of bitcoin.

July 24, 2015, 05:43:31 AM
This is much to less if you follow all the proofed looses.
I just read this today http://www.newsbtc.com/2015/06/01/blockchain-sent-8k-worth-bitcoin-to-wrong-address/
Another 8k of Bitcoins are (probably) lost forever, if no one has the private key of the wrong address.

If you are looking for a number, my guess is about 5000 lost bitcoins if we gather all together. And even more...

I think it is much more then 5000.

they are at least 7k, we have a confirmation from the owner of his old wallet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tMXLDVpPs8

however i changed my mind i don't really think that 3M, like many are emphasize strongly, are lost forever, while it's cool and all to reveal that you lost your money, perhaps in hope to become famous or something or to be more recognized

telling to everyone that you have retrieved your coins back in some way(you remembered your passphrase, you found an old back up ecc...) it's more unlikely...

WOW, the guy who sent $8k worth of BTC to the wrong address is the biggest idiot ever.
I always check the address twice when paying for something..

I double check it always so i make the other party confused to check again the address that i want to re-check.
I think these type of lost bitcoin should be solved but there is no way Sad
Every bitcoin that is sent to wrong address is lost Sad

that to send to wrong adress happens in banks as well my friend i had lended her some money she sent into other account without confirm the account owner,banks allow to see for who we are sending the money ,bitcoin only shows adress soo yes must be sure and confirm more then once the adress to avoid confusion.

But banks can charge the transaction back, and if not, they can ask the guy who got the money to send them back or just do some legal actions against him, if he refuses to return the money. BTC and a bank is something completely different and you can't compare it.

Yes, one of the most important things that people will have to learn when Bitcoin gets massively adopted and when transacting with Bitcoin is to triple check, not just double check before they hit that send. Because once you hit send, you are at the mercy of the other side if you did a mistake by chance. You don't control anything no more.

I always check the first two letters/numbers and the last 2 letters/numbers.

Oh yea, exactly me! I do it too.. always check the first 2 and last 4, I think it's better like this.. I'm always scared if I didn't paste the address and deleted the last letter or something like this so I always check it.. I'm glad every time I send it good Cheesy
I E
Activity: 62
Merit: 10
💎 💎 💎 💎 💎
July 24, 2015, 05:40:29 AM
I just read this today http://www.newsbtc.com/2015/06/01/blockchain-sent-8k-worth-bitcoin-to-wrong-address/
Another 8k of Bitcoins are (probably) lost forever, if no one has the private key of the wrong address.

If you are looking for a number, my guess is about 5000 lost bitcoins if we gather all together. And even more...

they are at least 7k, we have a confirmation from the owner of his old wallet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tMXLDVpPs8

however i changed my mind i don't really think that 3M, like many are emphasize strongly, are lost forever, while it's cool and all to reveal that you lost your money, perhaps in hope to become famous or something or to be more recognized

telling to everyone that you have retrieved your coins back in some way(you remembered your passphrase, you found an old back up ecc...) it's more unlikely...

WOW, the guy who sent $8k worth of BTC to the wrong address is the biggest idiot ever.

I double check it always so i make the other party confused to check again the address that i want to re-check.

that to send to wrong adress happens in banks as well my friend i had lended her some money she sent into other account without confirm the account owner,banks allow to see for who we are sending the money ,bitcoin only shows adress soo yes must be sure and confirm more then once the adress to avoid confusion.

But banks can charge the transaction back, and if not, they can ask the guy who got the money to send them back or just do some legal actions against him, if he refuses to return the money. BTC and a bank is something completely different and you can't compare it.

Yes, one of the most important things that people will have to learn when Bitcoin gets massively adopted and when transacting with Bitcoin is to triple check, not just double check before they hit that send. Because once you hit send, you are at the mercy of the other side if you did a mistake by chance. You don't control anything no more.

I always check the first two letters/numbers and the last 2 letters/numbers.
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
Move On !!!!!!
July 24, 2015, 02:02:47 AM

July 23, 2015, 07:29:40 PM

Activity: 560
July 23, 2015, 07:26:51 PM

Activity: 672
Merit: 503
July 23, 2015, 07:19:06 PM
There's no way to tell but there are many reports like this
1k Bitcoins lost  Cry
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/dont-feel-bad-newbies-early-adopter-without-many-bitcoins-388169

It's even more than 1k BTC... I'm really sad when I have to read stuff like this, it hurts me inside :/
It's sad how many people spend on ButterFlyLabs, this fucking shitty scam.
As a pioneer, you are expossed to lots of scams, thats why you must research extensively before risking a single satoshi from your wallet. They are too valuable to be lost on scams.
As for lost Bitcoins, something is for sure, at least 1 million is lost forever (Satoshis ones).
legendary
Activity: 1120
July 23, 2015, 06:53:53 PM
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/list-of-major-bitcoin-heists-thefts-hacks-scams-and-losses-old-83794

here is an old list of bitcoins lost, you can start here to make an estimation
Activity: 798
Move On !!!!!!
July 23, 2015, 06:21:30 PM
I know it is a tricky question. What do you think, how many Bitcoins are lost forever and are 'out of the network' by lost private keys?

This is really hard to tell and nobody will ever be able to tell with a real certainty. We can only speculate. I would say that about 10 percent has been lost so far. Of course, this number will only go up as Bitcoin matures and years pass by, which is good for all of the other holders as their stash is worth a bit more.
July 23, 2015, 06:11:41 PM
1k Bitcoins lost  Cry
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/dont-feel-bad-newbies-early-adopter-without-many-bitcoins-388169

It's even more than 1k BTC... I'm really sad when I have to read stuff like this, it hurts me inside :/
It's sad how many people spend on ButterFlyLabs, this fucking shitty scam.
Activity: 1005
July 23, 2015, 05:59:02 PM
1k Bitcoins lost  Cry
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
July 23, 2015, 01:30:55 PM
I am guessing anywhere from 10-15% but who knows and in the future there will obviously be a hole lot more being lost which is good for everyone else who doesn't lose them i guess them, smaller supply higher value.
July 23, 2015, 01:11:56 PM

It's lost for the previous owner of them, but not for the whole Blockchain..
Someone can use BTC if it's sent to him by a mistake, but if it's sent to the address that's compromised than it's lost..
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002
July 23, 2015, 01:06:37 PM

July 23, 2015, 01:04:41 PM

Pages:
Jump to: