Pages:
Author

Topic: How many Bitcoins are lost forever? - page 28. (Read 43044 times)

legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000
https://cryptoworld.io
July 20, 2015, 02:21:00 PM
well the number is not predictable..

“Every morning in the world, a private key wakes up, it knows it must outrun the fastest oblivion or it will be lost. Every morning in Africa, a neuron wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the oblivion, or it will forget the private key. It doesn't matter whether you're the neuron or a private key-when the sun comes up, you'd better backup the private-key.”
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
July 19, 2015, 09:43:09 PM
Read this about Trezzor and what is being found about it if it worth it or not to use as a cold storage option:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1127955.msg11919301;boardseen#new
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
July 19, 2015, 09:35:37 PM
there was a story of a guy who had a HDD with a large amount of Bitcoin on it, and he threw it away, and went digging through the dump.  7500 Bitcoin mined on a laptop!! Those were the days, LOL!!

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/nov/27/hard-drive-bitcoin-landfill-site
Yeah I heard that as well, I would've searched my ass off on that dump if that had happened to me. But it never will as I still online wallets for my transactions and bitcoins.

Oo You realize that WAY more bitcoins were lost (to their owners) because they held coins on exchanges, online wallets and such? You really should think that over. Giving your bitcoins to someone other brings always the question up if you get them back. Only when you control the private key and no one other has access to it, then you can say that you are relatively safe.

Sometimes both happen at the same time.
When the exchange accidentally deletes its wallet!
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2828445

*lol* Didnt hear of that yet. Unbelieveable. Cold Wallet? Backups on the same drives? Even i have backups on different places and im not even an exchange. Hefty... the worst thing is, you only know when something like that happens that the one you trusted is not the smartest.

I was thinking that hardware wallets are the safest way to protect from such loss of any coin.
For that reason I was looking at getting a Trezor. But that gets me thinking, this too can happen to that too, am I correct? How about having two or three Trezors to span the coins on so you don't lose all your bank in case of hardware failure.
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1252
July 19, 2015, 09:29:29 PM
One of the main reasons it's basically impossible to exactly know the % of the supply that's lost forever is the fact that you can't know if an address that hasn't got activity for a long time means the owner lost the password, or the owner is simply holding those coins and working with other addresses for transactions.
legendary
Activity: 1092
July 19, 2015, 06:52:03 PM
No one really knows how much because of the amount of the users of bitcoin. Imagine the guy who throw away his hard drive with tons of BTC in it. Yes that's a real news.
Activity: 560
Merit: 500
July 19, 2015, 05:19:41 PM
I can not believe that anyone today can forget lose your password, and consequently their bitcoins , at first believe it was despised and forgotten, but now the value not being famous in 1000 dollars , but perhaps about 10,000 lost bitcoins .
tyz
legendary
Activity: 3360
Merit: 1533
July 18, 2015, 04:49:38 AM
This is much to less if you follow all the proofed looses.
I just read this today http://www.newsbtc.com/2015/06/01/blockchain-sent-8k-worth-bitcoin-to-wrong-address/
Another 8k of Bitcoins are (probably) lost forever, if no one has the private key of the wrong address.

If you are looking for a number, my guess is about 5000 lost bitcoins if we gather all together. And even more...
legendary
Activity: 1148
July 17, 2015, 07:34:26 PM
If you are looking for a number, my guess is about 5000 lost bitcoins if we gather all together. And even more...
Activity: 560
Merit: 500
July 17, 2015, 06:16:03 PM
I already created more than 10 accounts for various and different opcçoes to earn bitcoins from investment faucets or games in order to control investment and know the return , some of these accounts meet with some satoshis surely some people like me already left it or forgotten passwords so a few thousand bitcoins find themselves lost
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014
Welt Am Draht
July 17, 2015, 05:40:27 PM

Couldn't it be possible that people would start to use another less valuable cryptocurrency instead of bitcoin?

If you want to buy something or transfer value then you'll need the exact same BTC value in that alternative currency. It's pretty pointless to add another layer of potential head ache and volatility to carry out what you need to do.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1027
July 16, 2015, 09:05:39 PM
A lot of Bitcoin are already lost; every day a lot of bits disappear and until 2140 many more will also vanish. This is not bad since it will only make the price go higher.
All bitcoins that are lost make the number of coins become even more scarce. The acceptable assumption would be that as more scarce it becomes, even more valuable will be as well.
But, if alternative currencies are going to be used as well wouldn't that cause an inflation even if the price of Bitcoin went very high?
Couldn't it be possible that people would start to use another less valuable cryptocurrency instead of bitcoin?
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1034
July 16, 2015, 07:40:02 PM
Some have estimated it's 30 per cent of all Bitcoins. It coins haven't moved for years it's unlikely anyone still controls them, except for Satoshi's coins. The figure keeps increasing because of things like burned coins, such as the 2130 Bitcoins burned during the Counterparty distribution.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/11362827/The-625m-lost-forever-the-phenomenon-of-disappearing-Bitcoins.html

NVIDIA engineer John Ratcliff calculated in June that “zombie coins”, defined as those which have lay dormant for at least a year and a half, accounted for 30 per cent of all Bitcoins.

I can believe that 30% of all Bitcoins are lost. I personally know several people who were into Bitcoin early on, but got out early and didn't check up on it since. (One person I know sold 750 BTC once the price hit $10, for example). Even though I don't know anyone who has lost Bitcoins, I can certainly imagine some of the super early users just forgot about their coins or didn't think to save them when getting a new computer or something.
Activity: 138
Merit: 100
July 16, 2015, 07:19:17 PM
30% what minners got i think its lost forever!!
tyz
legendary
Activity: 3360
Merit: 1533
July 16, 2015, 03:38:45 PM
Try to recover your deleted harddrive files. There is a good chance to get the wallet.dat back if you have not stored much new stuff after the removal. Take a Google search in order to find many appropriate free software to do a recovery.

add one more btc to the bitcoin that are lost for ever, i had 1 btc saved in my laptop for a rainy day and the hdd just died forgot to make a backup copy.

Well that sucks, dont give up just now you could always try and recover the data replacing the part on the hard drive that die, check your local pc repair store just dont tell them about the bitcoin,
i had a friend with the same type of issue and they took his bitcoin it wasnt much but it was money.

That is a bad situation, what happened to the hdd? try to give a try to fix the bad sectors of the hard disk
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002
July 16, 2015, 10:03:22 AM
add one more btc to the bitcoin that are lost for ever, i had 1 btc saved in my laptop for a rainy day and the hdd just died forgot to make a backup copy.

Well that sucks, dont give up just now you could always try and recover the data replacing the part on the hard drive that die, check your local pc repair store just dont tell them about the bitcoin,
i had a friend with the same type of issue and they took his bitcoin it wasnt much but it was money.

That is a bad situation, what happened to the hdd? try to give a try to fix the bad sectors of the hard disk
legendary
Activity: 1036
Thug for life!
July 16, 2015, 09:48:32 AM

Activity: 504
Merit: 250
July 16, 2015, 09:43:41 AM
legendary
July 16, 2015, 09:41:13 AM

But the balance is 0.00, will they get back to the wallet ? as for the moment it is not.

I guess it depends on what wallet you're using. Your intent to spend is noted by the wallet and it reduces the balance by the sent amount. It if hasn't been confirmed then the balance is topped up with the sent amount. The balance did change but the coins never moved.

https://blog.blockchain.com/2014/03/05/occasional-unconfirmed-transactions-are-being-addressed/

well this is a good explanation for me and for others, seems then good, if there is no confirmation the balance will be back at the normal. thank you
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014
Welt Am Draht
July 16, 2015, 09:15:22 AM

But the balance is 0.00, will they get back to the wallet ? as for the moment it is not.

I guess it depends on what wallet you're using. Your intent to spend is noted by the wallet and it reduces the balance by the sent amount. It if hasn't been confirmed then the balance is topped up with the sent amount. The balance did change but the coins never moved.

https://blog.blockchain.com/2014/03/05/occasional-unconfirmed-transactions-are-being-addressed/
legendary
July 16, 2015, 09:09:54 AM
I have a feeling that the unconfirmed transactions those amounts are lost forever?
please correct me someone if i am not correct.

If they never go through that means they never really went anywhere in the first place so they stay in your wallet.

Pages:
Jump to: