Pages:
Author

Topic: How many Bitcoins are lost forever? - page 27. (Read 43044 times)

legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 1070
July 23, 2015, 01:00:12 PM
This is much to less if you follow all the proofed looses.
I just read this today http://www.newsbtc.com/2015/06/01/blockchain-sent-8k-worth-bitcoin-to-wrong-address/
Another 8k of Bitcoins are (probably) lost forever, if no one has the private key of the wrong address.

If you are looking for a number, my guess is about 5000 lost bitcoins if we gather all together. And even more...

I think it is much more then 5000.

they are at least 7k, we have a confirmation from the owner of his old wallet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tMXLDVpPs8

however i changed my mind i don't really think that 3M, like many are emphasize strongly, are lost forever, while it's cool and all to reveal that you lost your money, perhaps in hope to become famous or something or to be more recognized

telling to everyone that you have retrieved your coins back in some way(you remembered your passphrase, you found an old back up ecc...) it's more unlikely to happen...

Activity: 994
Merit: 500
July 23, 2015, 11:21:26 AM
yes bitcoins can die with you ...I've recently been thinking about that .  I'll be printing out a paper  backup and keeping it in a safe for my family in the future!!
yeah, that is actually a nice idea. you'll never know about your future. i have recently been working on creating a cold storage on linux with encrypted wallet and everything to prevent it from getting stolen but this is going to make it impossible for my descendants to have any access to my money Cheesy
i have to think of a solution...

It has been passed almost a month i think maybe around that, and would like to ask you.
Have you found the solution, is everything working well, if yes let us now about it Wink
I E
Activity: 62
Merit: 10
💎 💎 💎 💎 💎
July 23, 2015, 08:18:33 AM
This is much to less if you follow all the proofed looses.
I just read this today http://www.newsbtc.com/2015/06/01/blockchain-sent-8k-worth-bitcoin-to-wrong-address/
Another 8k of Bitcoins are (probably) lost forever, if no one has the private key of the wrong address.

If you are looking for a number, my guess is about 5000 lost bitcoins if we gather all together. And even more...

I think it is much more then 5000.
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014
Welt Am Draht
July 23, 2015, 06:53:03 AM
i understand all points but the same way that some people throw away food ,the lost bitcoins could save some lifes and be donated ,and i know some people left the bitcoins in a cold wallet to avoid any hacker attempt to get them,and wouldnt be good to got sick and at hospital withou acess.

My point is those several coins really losted could save lives ,give a new world to childs and poor people needing just food to survive,its not selfish,some people losted their bitcoins and well some keep trying to recover it till todays others gaved up,but  this wont happen i only say we can donate it to some charity foundation,but those coins losted what will they do if no place to use or invest them?

So could all the money sitting in global bank accounts. You'd pretty rapidly end up with no economy any more and an axe buried between your legs.
Activity: 560
July 22, 2015, 07:02:40 PM
i understand all points but the same way that some people throw away food ,the lost bitcoins could save some lifes and be donated ,and i know some people left the bitcoins in a cold wallet to avoid any hacker attempt to get them,and wouldnt be good to got sick and at hospital withou acess.

My point is those several coins really losted could save lives ,give a new world to childs and poor people needing just food to survive,its not selfish,some people losted their bitcoins and well some keep trying to recover it till todays others gaved up,but  this wont happen i only say we can donate it to some charity foundation,but those coins losted what will they do if no place to use or invest them?
Activity: 532
July 21, 2015, 03:23:24 PM
I forgot a password in blockchain, and i think i had few dollars there, i think these coins are lost
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014
Welt Am Draht
July 21, 2015, 03:18:07 PM

it would be a good option to blockhain get all accounts that hasnt any moove from 6 months,to get those funds and put them on some fund ,this would be donated to charity these way wouldnt be any coin losted and we will know how many bitcoins were lost but i guess wont happen .

I think many people would be ever so slightly outraged if this was ever implemented and it pisses all over the 'be your own bank' aspect. Bitcoin should be the very last place to try and execute an idea like that.

legendary
Activity: 2660
Merit: 1074
July 21, 2015, 03:13:16 PM
it would be a good option to blockhain get all accounts that hasnt any moove from 6 months,to get those funds and put them on some fund ,this would be donated to charity these way wouldnt be any coin losted and we will know how many bitcoins were lost but i guess wont happen .

Steal people's money due to inactivity? It is like the worst of bank practices.

If you are out of computer access(hospital, prison, etc), I think you would not like to come back and see that the blockchain system stole all your coins

July 21, 2015, 03:06:21 PM

That's total BS. Imagine you are holding 90000 BTC for 2 years and now boom some guy said it so they took my coins and donated it to themselves.

as i said to charity not to them the wallet should be public soo we should know where the bitcoins went or would go anyway,holding bitcoins for 2 years is too many time without check if them keeps there i wouldnt sleep well with such ammount lol

I got your point on those but those people always login at the wallet soo means he or her is alive lol,but as i said it would be good and bad as you already said above ,this would only expose how many coins were losted,but speculation is better then know the real ammount
tyz
legendary
Activity: 3360
Merit: 1533
July 21, 2015, 02:10:16 PM
Well, developing an app what is doing exactly this is not a big deal. You just need the download the blockchain and traverse all transactions.

legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 1070
July 21, 2015, 03:14:36 AM
Unfortunately, I don't think we will ever know.

Doesn't even matter. More coins that are lost the better for everyone who holds them as it will only increase their value.

not really because in this phase there are more people that are holding and do not want to sell, this mean that if many coins are lost right now, there won't be enough for the buyers

so it does matter
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002
July 20, 2015, 05:46:18 PM

That's total BS. Imagine you are holding 90000 BTC for 2 years and now boom some guy said it so they took my coins and donated it to themselves.

Go to digital market sector here in the forum (market place) and i saw a post 25$ Amazon Gift card for 0.5 BTC Smiley wasn't that cool?
Activity: 518
July 20, 2015, 05:30:39 PM

legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002
July 20, 2015, 05:25:14 PM
Try to recover your deleted harddrive files. There is a good chance to get the wallet.dat back if you have not stored much new stuff after the removal. Take a Google search in order to find many appropriate free software to do a recovery.

add one more btc to the bitcoin that are lost for ever, i had 1 btc saved in my laptop for a rainy day and the hdd just died forgot to make a backup copy.

Well that sucks, dont give up just now you could always try and recover the data replacing the part on the hard drive that die, check your local pc repair store just dont tell them about the bitcoin,
i had a friend with the same type of issue and they took his bitcoin it wasnt much but it was money.

That is a bad situation, what happened to the hdd? try to give a try to fix the bad sectors of the hard disk

I had a similar situation before when my hdd only worked to surf in browsers and i could access nothing more.
July 20, 2015, 05:00:31 PM
July 20, 2015, 04:24:37 PM

Doesn't even matter. More coins that are lost the better for everyone who holds them as it will only increase their value.

It would be amazing if there's lost 20m from 21m, Bitcoin will be definitely different! Cheesy
Activity: 20
Merit: 0
July 20, 2015, 04:13:14 PM

Activity: 3
Merit: 0
July 20, 2015, 03:34:54 PM
July 20, 2015, 03:21:00 PM
Nobody knows. I would say it's about 500000 coins, but it's just my guess.
Activity: 616
July 20, 2015, 03:16:11 PM
I lost 15 in 2012
Pages:
Jump to: