Author

Topic: How many bitcoins do I need to retire in 20 years? - page 150. (Read 320337 times)

Activity: 534
Merit: 500
My current estimate would be 10 Bitcoins.
I think that is a fair estimate.
The more time that goes by, the less coins you will need.
legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 1070
Well, I believe 1000 bitcoins would be enough to retire. At least for me. So, try to collect this amount of BTC and you could retire and never work again.

same, but there is a risk involving the fact that bitcoin may be non-existing anymore in the future, replaced by something else

if someone can accumulate that fortune early would be better, the price should be already high, in 5-10 years from now, no need to wait 20...
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
i am planning to buy ~10 btc when i have money because after 20 years they will be either worth MUCH, or zero Smiley no need to put your life savings or big part of salary into it  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000
Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin
Its interesting to play with numbers:
there are about ~ 8 billion people , and there will be 21 million bitcoin, which means if we are to distribute them over population equaly each person would get 0,002625 bitcoin.
If bitcoin gets the real long mainstream attention, and it will either be within OP's 20 years; its obvious that even a fraction of bitcoin will get u far.
For the whole retirement, with the right conditions met, i would say 1 bitcoin would put you in the spotlight til the rest of your life.

cheers
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005
It's easier than that. If Bitcoin becomes mainstream, maybe not 1, but 10 should be enough to retire safely. Why you ask? well simple, mainstream = number of adoption will require that the price is a lot higher than what we've seen thus far. It's maths. If BTC surpasses current electronic payment methods, it would be worth more than 100K if you compare the marketcaps.

Will be hard to do with at most 7 transactions per second Smiley
VISA alone does about 1000 times more...

Et tu, dinofelis.

Bitcoin is not a payment system.

And what is it exactly is bitcoin, experimental internet currency? If not a payment system then what? What is a currency without an ability to process payments? Or maybe you see bitcoin as museum exhibition, something like precious old vase or something. No, bitcoin is a payment system like every other, it is just technologically advanced and based on virtual economy.

Bitcoin is money. Bitcoin is money. Bitcoin is money. Bitcoin is money. You can transfer ownership of bitcoin to someone else. Bitcoin is money. Bitcoin is money. Bitcoin is money. Bitcoin is money.

Activity: 112
Merit: 10
you don't need too much, may be 10BTC is enough for your retire life after 20 years.
sdp
Activity: 469
Merit: 281
I estimate each coin will be worth $9k.  But this is speculative anyway.  It might be better to buy something that can provide an income.

Activity: 322
Merit: 250
litecoin? Out of all the new innovations in altcoins, you choose the one with pretty much the least amount of innovation of them all? o.o
Activity: 1148
Merit: 252
Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game
I think atleast 100 bitcoins to be safe.

I predicted that 1 bitcoin can be worth 700k$ if all the current GLOBAL GDP is flushed into it, of course in 20 years the global gdp can be much higher (or lower if these nutjob CB will cause global collapse) so a 700k$/bitcoin is really the cap, so you need like 100 bitcoins to have 70 million $ which hopefully will be enough for your greed Smiley
If we are talking about distant future (yes. 20 years in bitcoin world is like 1000 years in real life) and our current technology. I would rather don't point at exact numbers. We all are probably wrong in our assumptions. In 20 years we could already have bitcoin 2.0 or some other form of cryptocurrency or no bitcoin at all.

I think attention/media will surpass quality, or atleast in the short term (10-20 years)

Otherwise Litecoin is already superior to Bitcoin in any possible way, but the bitcoin is still bigger market cap, simply because it got more attention.

And obviously no other crypto currency will get as much attention as Bitcoin.

Later on there might come a more stable one ,which will be pumped by wallstreet, but for now bitcoin is the most "favorite" currency, and it will stay as such.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1012
★Nitrogensports.eu★
Well, I believe 1000 bitcoins would be enough to retire. At least for me. So, try to collect this amount of BTC and you could retire and never work again.

With 1000 bitcoins (quarter of a million dollars), I could actually retire today.
I don't even have to wait for the price to appreciate.  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1005
★Nitrogensports.eu★
It's easier than that. If Bitcoin becomes mainstream, maybe not 1, but 10 should be enough to retire safely. Why you ask? well simple, mainstream = number of adoption will require that the price is a lot higher than what we've seen thus far. It's maths. If BTC surpasses current electronic payment methods, it would be worth more than 100K if you compare the marketcaps.

Et tu, dinofelis.

And what is it exactly is bitcoin, experimental internet currency? If not a payment system then what? What is a currency without an ability to process payments? Or maybe you see bitcoin as museum exhibition, something like precious old vase or something. No, bitcoin is a payment system like every other, it is just technologically advanced and based on virtual economy.
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
alh
legendary
Activity: 1846
Merit: 1052
I believe after all bitcoins mined,bitcoin could be get more valuable and even some satoshis could be a value for buy something.if it happens 2-3 bitcoins will be enough for everything for a regular life

That suggests then that roughly 10 million folks get to have a "regular life". What about the other 6 BILLION folks? This is based on a total of 20+ million coins being mined.
twn
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1011
I believe after all bitcoins mined,bitcoin could be get more valuable and even some satoshis could be a value for buy something.if it happens 2-3 bitcoins will be enough for everything for a regular life
Activity: 770
Merit: 629

Et tu, dinofelis.

I was reacting to: "If BTC surpasses current electronic payment methods"
legendary
Activity: 1288

I predicted that 1 bitcoin can be worth 700k$ if all the current GLOBAL GDP is flushed into it, of course in 20 years the global gdp can be much higher (or lower if these nutjob CB will cause global collapse) so a 700k$/bitcoin is really the cap, so you need like 100 bitcoins to have 70 million $ which hopefully will be enough for your greed Smiley
If we are talking about distant future (yes. 20 years in bitcoin world is like 1000 years in real life) and our current technology. I would rather don't point at exact numbers. We all are probably wrong in our assumptions. In 20 years we could already have bitcoin 2.0 or some other form of cryptocurrency or no bitcoin at all.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1002
The # of bitcoins relay back to the price.

So obviously the lower the price, the more quantity you need to get a retirement lol. You may need like 10,000 or more if the rates are super lower.

Right now, if you do the preev current rates for dollars - 10,000 = $265k which is reasonable to get a $50k house in las vegas or somewhere else on in the mid west and retire.

Activity: 1148
Merit: 252
Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game

legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1252
Lets say I want to buy bitcoins today and store them for 20 years to use a my retirement fund.  Live comfortably, but don't need to buy a yacht or anything.  How many do you think I would need to buy?

Impossible to answer, bitcoin may not even exist in 20 years.  I guess the only answer one could give would be "more than you think".
Lol Bitcoin will for sure exists in 20 years. The blockchain is the best invention on the 21 century and Bitcoin will be the leading currency/store of value. This is not a "oh but facebook surpassed myspace" thing.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Lets say I want to buy bitcoins today and store them for 20 years to use a my retirement fund.  Live comfortably, but don't need to buy a yacht or anything.  How many do you think I would need to buy?

Impossible to answer, bitcoin may not even exist in 20 years.  I guess the only answer one could give would be "more than you think".
Jump to: