Author

Topic: How many bitcoins do I need to retire in 20 years? - page 154. (Read 320337 times)

legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000
buy bitcoins as much as you can .. no one knows if bitcoin will still be used in the future or it will be a thousand or million of dollars worth..

buy bitcoins as much as you can ...... afford to lose.  Smiley
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
buy bitcoins as much as you can .. no one knows if bitcoin will still be used in the future or it will be a thousand or million of dollars worth..

I have a pretty good feeling it is not going to be a million dollars  Roll Eyes The chances are a lot higher of it being $1 than a million i am afraid buddy, so buy as many as you can at your own risk.

Shall we do a little math on the million dollar theory, current supply roughly 14 trillion dollars is needed to make this a reality.

About the same as the USA gdp for 2014   Wink
Activity: 1022
Merit: 500
You should define , " as much as you can " cause some people might go crazy and buy their life savings into bitcoin.
While bitcoin is smth great it shouldnt be overinvested into. its an currency not an investment :>

I think people should think about what they are doing before investing but Bitcoin can be both a currency and an investment.
Activity: 700
You should define , " as much as you can " cause some people might go crazy and buy their life savings into bitcoin.
While bitcoin is smth great it shouldnt be overinvested into. its an currency not an investment :>
Dude 21. 21 is the magic number. 21 million coins, 21 coins means only 1 million people will even own 21. 21 is the number that will set us free.
This is not correct , the whole world could own 21 coins , just not as the same time.
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
Activity: 158
Merit: 100
all depends on the price of bitcoin, I think if the current bitcoin price, you simply collect 50 BTC, hopefully enough until your retirement, besides that, bitcoin has many rivals like Litecoin, degecoin and others, which may determine the her next bitcoin prices

hopefully the prices of bitcoin can stable and increased so that it will be enough to meet your retirement ...
legendary
Activity: 1722
Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin
Depends on your retirenment idea, how much you are planing to spend, and ofcourse where you live.

From my point, i only need about 200,000 USD value to retire, so that would be about 715 BTC, and 20 years from now mining reward shoul be about 3,25 per block,
resulting in a 6*24*3,25= 468 bitcoins per day minted.

If the money income to bitcoin (judging purely on sustaining current price by paying for newly minted coins) is to remain the same then as it is now (about 1 000 000 USD per day), that would mean that the price should be 2136 usd /btc with no rise in popularity of bitcoin which is hard to imagine, now just add 10x rise in popularity over 20 years,
and you get 21 360 us per btc.

That would mean, for me, that i need :
-468 bitcoins @ current price
-93,63 bitcoin in 20 years with no increase in popularity
-9,3 bitcoin in 20 years with only 10x popularity (5% growth a year)

Prices im hoping for are something quite different, to be honest, and time ranges also  Roll Eyes

cheers
Activity: 433
BTG CEO
Such a difficult question because we do not even now it will be here in 20 years however much i would like it to be  Undecided (it will be here)  Grin

I would go with a guess of around 300 - 500 btc  at 1000+ being the bottom if it is still here i think that will be a nice retirement if yo already have home paid for etc

I will be happy with a few hundred and some gold and or silver.
legendary
It's up to bitcoin price in 20 years later
But, i think 100 bitcoin is enough if bitcoin price can reach $200.000 (don't forget about inflation too)

And it's up to where you live too

Yes, definitely depends on the place you live.
USD 100K (in today's prices) might be sufficient in some places, you might require multiple times that in others.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1001
Crypto-News.net: News from Crypto World
Assume bitcoin is going to be really good in 20 years to come, then you will only need like 10 bitcoin.

if price comes to 20K then yes maybe it will be low then even 1000 wont be good.
legendary
Activity: 2870
Merit: 7490
Crypto Swap Exchange
It's up to bitcoin price in 20 years later
But, i think 100 bitcoin is enough if bitcoin price can reach $200.000 (don't forget about inflation too)

And it's up to where you live too
Activity: 481
Assume bitcoin is going to be really good in 20 years to come, then you will only need like 10 bitcoin.
Merit: 501
Dude 21. 21 is the magic number. 21 million coins, 21 coins means only 1 million people will even own 21. 21 is the number that will set us free.
Activity: 252
I don't think there is any genius on the forum who can predict what the price of bitcoin will be 20 years hence.
We don't need to predict the exact price. If we are confident that it will be above a certain level, we can think of saving coins for retirement.
If somebody was able to predict the price, he would be very, very rich. Grin
Indeed. And if that person wasn't very smart, the whole market would collapse..
legendary
I don't think there is any genius on the forum who can predict what the price of bitcoin will be 20 years hence.
We don't need to predict the exact price. If we are confident that it will be above a certain level, we can think of saving coins for retirement.
If somebody was able to predict the price, he would be very, very rich. Grin
Activity: 378
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014
Welt Am Draht
i think $10k at some point is quite a fair prediction.
can't see it being worth $100k 0,01btc which is now worth $2,50 will then be worth $1000  Roll Eyes

You never know. Too many folks are stuck in the present when it comes to perspective.

I remember reading in 2010 a guy was trying to obtain some coins on the Bitcoin OTC market. No one was willing to deal with him so someone gave him 2000 coins out of pity. Only five years ago they were effectively worthless.

If 10 million decided they needed 2 coins in their life that would be impossible to fulfill. There's still a humongous amount of upside if it really goes places.
legendary
Activity: 896
i think $10k at some point is quite a fair prediction.
can't see it being worth $100k 0,01btc which is now worth $2,50 will then be worth $1000  Roll Eyes
Activity: 29
Merit: 0
As Voorhees stated, bitcoin prediction is pretty much binary.
In 20 years 1 bitcoin is either worth $0 or a very high number ($100,000?).
My position in bitcoin is a bet on bitcoin becoming mainstream (>$100,000/BTC).
Jump to: