Pages:
Author

Topic: How to use ASICMiner Block Erupters with CGMiner on Windows 7 - page 8. (Read 87320 times)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0
Ran into a weird problem.  My apologies if it has already been answered somewhere, but a search didn't lead me to anything fruitful. 

For the past couple of days I've been running cgminer 3.1.1 with 3 USB ASICs on a Anker 3.0 hub.  I just received two more today.  I plugged them in and made note of the COM ports they were assigned and added them to the bat file.  When I run the file, cgminer recognizes that they are all there, but only "ICA 0" is initialized, "ICA 1" - "ICA 4" all show as "OFF".

Here's the code:
Code:
start /D "C:\Users\Dan\Desktop\Bitcoin\CGMiner" cgminer-nogpu.exe -o stratum+tcp://stratum.bitcoin.cz:3333 -u user.worker2 -p password--icarus-options 115200:1:1 --icarus-timing 3.0=100 -S COM3 -S COM5 -S COM6 -S COM7 -S COM9

But, if I give each COM it's own line, they all work (but with five different cgminer instances).

Here's that code:
Code:
start /D "C:\Users\Dan\Desktop\Bitcoin\CGMiner" cgminer-nogpu.exe -o stratum+tcp://stratum.bitcoin.cz:3333 -u user.worker2 -p password--icarus-options 115200:1:1 --icarus-timing 3.0=100 -S COM3
start /D "C:\Users\Dan\Desktop\Bitcoin\CGMiner" cgminer-nogpu.exe -o stratum+tcp://stratum.bitcoin.cz:3333 -u user.worker2 -p password--icarus-options 115200:1:1 --icarus-timing 3.0=100 -S COM5
start /D "C:\Users\Dan\Desktop\Bitcoin\CGMiner" cgminer-nogpu.exe -o stratum+tcp://stratum.bitcoin.cz:3333 -u user.worker2 -p password--icarus-options 115200:1:1 --icarus-timing 3.0=100 -S COM6
start /D "C:\Users\Dan\Desktop\Bitcoin\CGMiner" cgminer-nogpu.exe -o stratum+tcp://stratum.bitcoin.cz:3333 -u user.worker2 -p password--icarus-options 115200:1:1 --icarus-timing 3.0=100 -S COM7
start /D "C:\Users\Dan\Desktop\Bitcoin\CGMiner" cgminer-nogpu.exe -o stratum+tcp://stratum.bitcoin.cz:3333 -u user.worker2 -p password--icarus-options 115200:1:1 --icarus-timing 3.0=100 -S COM9

Ideally, I'd like to have one instance of cgminer open for all of them.  Has anyone else encountered this?  Or any thoughts on how to fix it?  I'm not a coder by trade, so odds are it's something simple that I'm overlooking.  Thanks for the help.
Activity: 752
Merit: 500
That's reportedly version 3.2.0 and 3.2.1 (although it might be fixed in 3.2.1).  The reason why it matters is that cgminer 3.2.1 has been altered to work better with the USB ASICS (making them hot swappable and supposedly reducing the HW error rate).  Getting the HW error rate as low as possible to improve miner efficiency and productivity will help improve profitability.
I have a fan on mine.  FED EX guy just brought 5 more to the door!  WOOT! Hooked 'em up asap.
...getting ~2375Mh/s on 6 USB's
Just got my USB ASICminer running on an Anker USB 3.0 hub using cgminer-nogpu v3.1.1.  So it can be done.  Here's my .bat file txt.

Code:
C:\Users\my name\Desktop\cgminer-3.1.1-windows\cgminer-nogpu.exe -o http://rr.btcmp.com:8332 -u XXX -p YYY --icarus-options 115200:1:1 --icarus-timing 3.0=100 -S \\.\COM3

It worked after repeatedly installing these drivers:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/libwdi/files/zadig/
http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/Pages/USBtoUARTBridgeVCPDrivers.aspx

Keep doing it until the "(COM3)" appears after the "Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge"

If "(COM3)" is not visible for 1 USB device, cgminer can't see it.

This is coming from an excited noob miner.   I DID IT!!!

Can't wait for my other 5 to come in the mail.

It definitely works with 3.1.1.  The question is whether it works with 3.2.1 or not.  I have the same config, btw, with an Anker USB 3.0 hub.

M
I read somewhere that the Anker 3.0's wouldn't work with cgminer.  Not trying to be smart, but why should we even care if it doesn't work with 3.2.1 or higher.  If it works, it works....right?

That's reportedly version 3.2.0 and 3.2.1 (although it might be fixed in 3.2.1).  The reason why it matters is that cgminer 3.2.1 has been altered to work better with the USB ASICS (making them hot swappable and supposedly reducing the HW error rate).  Getting the HW error rate as low as possible to improve miner efficiency and productivity will help improve profitability.
Just got my USB ASICminer running on an Anker USB 3.0 hub using cgminer-nogpu v3.1.1.  So it can be done.  Here's my .bat file txt.

Code:
C:\Users\my name\Desktop\cgminer-3.1.1-windows\cgminer-nogpu.exe -o http://rr.btcmp.com:8332 -u XXX -p YYY --icarus-options 115200:1:1 --icarus-timing 3.0=100 -S \\.\COM3

Keep doing it until the "(COM3)" appears after the "Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge"

It definitely works with 3.1.1.  The question is whether it works with 3.2.1 or not.  I have the same config, btw, with an Anker USB 3.0 hub.

M
I read somewhere that the Anker 3.0's wouldn't work with cgminer.  Not trying to be smart, but why should we even care if it doesn't work with 3.2.1 or higher.  If it works, it works....right?
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

Code:

M

Code:

legendary
Just hoping for a quick clarification:  By USB 3.0 port do you mean on the computer or where the miner is physically connected.  I guess what I'm wondering is if the miners being plugged into a USB 3.0 hub but the hub being plugged into a 2.0 port on the computer makes a difference or if any USB 3.0 connection in the chain is enough to mess it up.

I'm running on 3.1.1 right now, but would love to try 3.2.1 to see if it does reduce the number of HW errors as some have reported.  But I don't want to generate unnecessary problems for myself if it is already known not to work.

Excellent question.

I can tell you the computer I have my miners on does _not_ have a 3.0 port.  The 3.0 hub is plugged into a 2.0 port.  I could not get 3.2.0 to work, but that may not be USB 3.0 related.  I spent too much time trying to get it work and recovering from that attempt to make me a bit wary of trying again until I see confirmations was others that it's working properly.  So far all I've seen is akin to "we're pretty sure it doesn't work with 3.0".

M
you're correct, it was listed under ports.

when i double click cgminer nogpu this is what im seeing

http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/tommybstring/media/shot1_zpsbce4d3f3.jpg.html

this is my first mining attempt, many thks

You're using cgminer 3.2.1.  It doesn't work with the UART driver (it's what makes it show up as a COM port).  Use 3.1.1 and you should be fine.

If you want to use 3.2.1, you'll have to uninstall the UART driver.  Rumor has it this doesn't work properly if you have it plugged into a USB 3.0 port.  I haven't tried it yet, took too long for me to recover from trying 3.2.0. Sad

M

Just hoping for a quick clarification:  By USB 3.0 port do you mean on the computer or where the miner is physically connected.  I guess what I'm wondering is if the miners being plugged into a USB 3.0 hub but the hub being plugged into a 2.0 port on the computer makes a difference or if any USB 3.0 connection in the chain is enough to mess it up.

I'm running on 3.1.1 right now, but would love to try 3.2.1 to see if it does reduce the number of HW errors as some have reported.  But I don't want to generate unnecessary problems for myself if it is already known not to work.
legendary

You're using cgminer 3.2.1.  It doesn't work with the UART driver (it's what makes it show up as a COM port).  Use 3.1.1 and you should be fine.

If you want to use 3.2.1, you'll have to uninstall the UART driver.  Rumor has it this doesn't work properly if you have it plugged into a USB 3.0 port.  I haven't tried it yet, took too long for me to recover from trying 3.2.0. Sad

M
Uninstalling those drivers just makes them appear in "Other devices" with the yellow ! sign. Is there a way to get them working with 3.2.1?

3.1.1 is working just fine in windows 7 32 bit though.

Supposedly you have to use Zadig to fix the driver.  It'll then show up in USB devices. 

M
Activity: 258
Merit: 250
Zoinks! Its the Miner Miner Forty-Niner!

You're using cgminer 3.2.1.  It doesn't work with the UART driver (it's what makes it show up as a COM port).  Use 3.1.1 and you should be fine.

If you want to use 3.2.1, you'll have to uninstall the UART driver.  Rumor has it this doesn't work properly if you have it plugged into a USB 3.0 port.  I haven't tried it yet, took too long for me to recover from trying 3.2.0. Sad

M
Uninstalling those drivers just makes them appear in "Other devices" with the yellow ! sign. Is there a way to get them working with 3.2.1?

3.1.1 is working just fine in windows 7 32 bit though.
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000
wow,that baby runs hot.. i just have one of those sticks, so i wanted to run it right off the USB slot (no fan)

Should i get a hub to get it away from the computer? Possible overheating or fire hazard concerns ??

I'm new and don't want to do something stupid.

Donation Sent, thks again Smiley

You want some sort of active cooling on it.  I have a box fan blowing on mine.

M
a box fan.. woah overkill.. This is all I have for 11 of them and they stay cool to the touch.

I always get a kick out of seeing other peoples rigs setup, the first thought that goes through my mind is the biggest revolution in the history of the modem worlds is being run on hacked together computers and cooled with little fans, or some inappropriate blower.  In comparison to the well organised server farms of the of a falling financial system.    
legendary
wow,that baby runs hot.. i just have one of those sticks, so i wanted to run it right off the USB slot (no fan)

Should i get a hub to get it away from the computer? Possible overheating or fire hazard concerns ??

You want some sort of active cooling on it.  I have a box fan blowing on mine.

M

a box fan.. woah overkill.. This is all I have for 11 of them and they stay cool to the touch.

Neat idea.  I still have GPUs, the fan is for the both the GPUs and these.  When the GPUs are gone I'll switch to something smaller.

M
Activity: 231
Merit: 100

You want some sort of active cooling on it.  I have a box fan blowing on mine.

M

legendary

You want some sort of active cooling on it.  I have a box fan blowing on mine.

M
Activity: 420

legendary
I did overwrite the config file now that i have it working. Used the default name.

Last question, I always run the cgminer.cmd file correct? Because if i try the cgminer no gpu file it doesn't work, but cgminer.cmd does.

Whats you LTC wallet address ? Thank-you so much mdude77

The command script (cgminer.cmd) is your best bet.

LTC addy is LWSZmAC1zGUvsSMfGtdhUz39oZfGpEPL38.  Thanks! Smiley

M
I did overwrite the config file now that i have it working. Used the default name.

Last question, I always run the cgminer.cmd file correct? Because if i try the cgminer no gpu file it doesn't work, but cgminer.cmd does.

Whats you LTC wallet address ? Thank-you so much mdude77
legendary

Put the proper COM ports in where you see x, y, z, and so forth, adding more as needed and deleting those that aren't needed.  If you get up to COM10, you have to use the other format detailed on my first post.

M

ha, im such a newb :/

What screen am I supposed to be at while adding these COM ports?

somewhere inside cg miner?

Open up notepad.
Enter this:

Code:
cd \mining\cgminer
cgminer-nogpu.exe --icarus-options 115200:1:1 --icarus-timing 3.0=100 -S COM3 -S COM4 -S COM5 -S COM6 -S COM7 -S COM8 -S COM9
pause

Changing the path to your cgminer path as necessary, and the COM ports as necessary.  Then save it as "cgminer.cmd". 

If you haven't configured a pool yet, and saved it, you'll be prompted for your pool URL and credentials.

Once you see everything is working, press the "S" and then "W" in cgminer to save the settings to a configuration file.  Next time it should work w/o asking anything.

M

Put the proper COM ports in where you see x, y, z, and so forth, adding more as needed and deleting those that aren't needed.  If you get up to COM10, you have to use the other format detailed on my first post.

M
[/quote]

ha, im such a newb :/

What screen am I supposed to be at while adding these COM ports?

somewhere inside cg miner?
Activity: 378
Roll Eyes Tongue  Safe mode did not work, but it gave me an idea.

Last known Good configuration is back to being my friend again...at least that gave me back the keyboard! At first i had the mouse too but it reinstalled itself with those corrupt drivers, so i manually did the keyboard control panel uninstall and it worked fine...thanks alot for the reply..

what was weird was the sound was coming from pc speaker haha - haven't heard sound coming from a pc speaker in over 20 years. Anyway its all fixed for now..

good enough.

She'll never know...
Thanks!
-D

For future ref: under Accessories > Ease of Access, is an On Screen keyboard if you have mouse but no keyboard. Saved me a few times. I know that was not your exact situation.
Pages:
Jump to: