Pages:
Author

Topic: I am out of the mining game :( - page 17. (Read 44414 times)

X7
legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1009
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone
August 14, 2014, 05:51:49 PM
Honestly, I think home miners should only mine as a hedge against bitcoin price stagnation, which could theoretically lead to difficulty stagnation.  If you are long on bitcoin, have a sort of 15% mining operation.

Lets say you buy 10 BTC.  Maybe it would behoove you to buy 2 Antminer S3's.  If the difficulty skyrockets beyond profitability too quickly, then it would be probably safe to assume that the bitcoin price would have reflected upward momentum to account for the increased difficulty.

Again this is in a perfect world and we all know miners aren't rational.  But in the event of a +20% btc price, you would see a lot of old miners turn back on, and other companies roll out batches to gain hashpower.  At this point I can see maybe the difficulty doubling at the current BTC price.... anything beyond that and I'd start to worry.

The home user obviously can't mine if difficulty goes up but the fiat price doesn't - they can't get BTC ROI currently and then they may not even get fiat ROI.

The mining manufacturers, on the other hand, who can sell the miners for 5x their cost - they can still make miners for themselves and mine until the difficulty is 5x higher.  So we know who is adding the the network...all those private farms we subsidized  Shocked

^^^^ This - we were literally just discussing that here... CoinTerra rolling out 11 MegaWatt farms after we purchase a huge amount of hardware from them left a pretty bad taste in our mouth.  Just saying... thanks for selling it to us at retail (when we inspected the insides of the machines) which were pretty rigorously protected (even as far as seals) showed some of the patch work that went into the machines.

So essentially as she correctly wrote... we literally purchased 2nd hand hardware at full retail while they mine with better equipment before they sell it on to us... >:|

Killed our industrial sized mining operation - rather than roll over and die we chose to move to a more feasible location and try to recoup whatever investments we can.

The same Cointerra that promised 2TH/s in January and ended up delivering 1.6 unstable TH/s in March?  The same Cointerra that said they didn't have enough money to refund customers was able to buy a 11 Megawatt farm?  I'm shocked.  How could this be!?!

That was sarcasm for anybody who couldn't tell.  These mining companies (for the most part) are out to make money for themselves and if they have to sell you hardware at high prices and mine on your hardware for a month or 2 they will do that.  What you gonna do, call the Kansas State AG?  Cheesy (That was a reference to the reports that Sonny paid off the AG to stop BFL from being investigated since they're able to scam away for 2 years unhindered).

Yeah... four of our 1.6s died and we were left with no recourse - the whole experience was very unsavory but we kept fighting.. not to mention the RIDICULOUS amount of power those bad boys pull... 600AMPS is nothing to these machines on a medium sized scale.

At the very least we were happy to be a part of the eco system and just hope to recoup our investment on other smart SHA256 coins (And of course hoping the BTC goes back up and moves to its rightful place... on the moon. (lol)

Wonder what the Devs will do when they realize between Megabigpower and Cointerra that they already more than likely have 35-50% of the hashing power of the entire network - Don't get me wrong - I love that bitcoin confirmations are SUPER fast and it protects the eco system with hash speeds that make any other network pale in comparison... I just don't think it was right to piggy back on smaller/medium sized players (Even the recreational home miners) to boost your own mining facilities which compete directly with the consumers you sold hard ware to..

Nope...  2 thumbs down
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
August 14, 2014, 05:37:31 PM
THose block erupters were never meant to ROI.. Sadly the price compared to what they mined was to damn high.
Sorry to hear of your loss. :/
Activity: 873
Merit: 1007
August 14, 2014, 05:34:06 PM
Honestly, I think home miners should only mine as a hedge against bitcoin price stagnation, which could theoretically lead to difficulty stagnation.  If you are long on bitcoin, have a sort of 15% mining operation.

Lets say you buy 10 BTC.  Maybe it would behoove you to buy 2 Antminer S3's.  If the difficulty skyrockets beyond profitability too quickly, then it would be probably safe to assume that the bitcoin price would have reflected upward momentum to account for the increased difficulty.

Again this is in a perfect world and we all know miners aren't rational.  But in the event of a +20% btc price, you would see a lot of old miners turn back on, and other companies roll out batches to gain hashpower.  At this point I can see maybe the difficulty doubling at the current BTC price.... anything beyond that and I'd start to worry.

The home user obviously can't mine if difficulty goes up but the fiat price doesn't - they can't get BTC ROI currently and then they may not even get fiat ROI.

The mining manufacturers, on the other hand, who can sell the miners for 5x their cost - they can still make miners for themselves and mine until the difficulty is 5x higher.  So we know who is adding the the network...all those private farms we subsidized  Shocked

^^^^ This - we were literally just discussing that here... CoinTerra rolling out 11 MegaWatt farms after we purchase a huge amount of hardware from them left a pretty bad taste in our mouth.  Just saying... thanks for selling it to us at retail (when we inspected the insides of the machines) which were pretty rigorously protected (even as far as seals) showed some of the patch work that went into the machines.

So essentially as she correctly wrote... we literally purchased 2nd hand hardware at full retail while they mine with better equipment before they sell it on to us... >:|

Killed our industrial sized mining operation - rather than roll over and die we chose to move to a more feasible location and try to recoup whatever investments we can.

The same Cointerra that promised 2TH/s in January and ended up delivering 1.6 unstable TH/s in March?  The same Cointerra that said they didn't have enough money to refund customers was able to buy a 11 Megawatt farm?  I'm shocked.  How could this be!?!

That was sarcasm for anybody who couldn't tell.  These mining companies (for the most part) are out to make money for themselves and if they have to sell you hardware at high prices and mine on your hardware for a month or 2 they will do that.  What you gonna do, call the Kansas State AG?  Cheesy (That was a reference to the reports that Sonny paid off the AG to stop BFL from being investigated since they're able to scam away for 2 years unhindered).
X7
legendary
August 14, 2014, 05:25:13 PM

Activity: 873
Merit: 1007
August 14, 2014, 05:15:54 PM

Activity: 280
Merit: 250
August 14, 2014, 03:50:59 PM

Activity: 476
Merit: 255
August 14, 2014, 01:23:01 PM
20% import tax on equipment and $0.27 per KwH here in the UK, and i'm still mining so no idea why your giving up so early!

he doesn't give up to find bitcoin  Grin,
he just realized what he did (mining) was useless. not get anything even spend a lot of money,
but everyone have different way to find bitcoin
Activity: 194
Merit: 100
August 14, 2014, 12:35:29 PM
20% import tax on equipment and $0.27 per KwH here in the UK, and i'm still mining so no idea why your giving up so early!

Here the import tax is 25%.
X7
legendary
August 14, 2014, 12:32:56 PM
So im out of the mining game.

Getting asics importet from china is too expensive -.-
Electricity is too expensive in my country 0.14$/kwh -.-
and my block erupters isnt making me anything.

this game have only been a waste of money so far.

GL on your mining guys Smiley dont make the same mistakes as i did.

I feel you bro - had to shut down and relocate our operation to a cheaper country.
The big corporations are making it difficult to keep this thing in the decentralized hands of the masses.

How are we going to compete with these 11 MegaWatt facilities CoinTerra and MegaBigPower are rolling out?
It is far far far cheaper to buy the BTC at this current value than to mine anything - unless you are doing it for philanthropic reasons. Probably best you get out before you blink and see the difficulty at 30Billion
Activity: 254
Merit: 1258
August 14, 2014, 10:24:59 AM
Sounds like you got duped into buying bad equipment (erupters haven't been making anything a around a year), also do the math before you mine and you may end up cutting close, but also remember you can sell that miner for even more ROI.
Activity: 47
Merit: 0
August 14, 2014, 10:40:14 AM
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
August 14, 2014, 09:39:09 AM
Quit GPU mining two months ago. People who bought ASIC are probably worse off than GPU miners,

I quit GPU mining at beginninng of summer.  Just did not make sense with a significant amount of GPU's making so little.  I sold off and bought more asics with it.

BTC Asics turned out to be the safe and best bet.  Scrypt dropped quick on profit I will be mining my scrypt longer then i thought to ROI.  But overall it was a very good change.  With decent priced electricity you can still ROI.  I do suggest going straight BTC asics atm though.

legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1073
August 14, 2014, 09:35:51 AM
You still have loads of mining experience to sell to people with more favorable environments {Cheaper electricity and deep pockets}

That is something, nobody can take away from you.

It's bad to hear things like this, because every miner, are the life blood of the crypto currencies of this world.

Rent out your skills and buy into other peoples data centres. {And make up for some of your possible losses} Or do write-ups of your experience, for others to learn from.

There are still some Satoshi's for you to make out there.  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1045
August 14, 2014, 09:33:33 AM
I think one of the main reason that you could not succeed is high electricity bill. In my country it is relatively cheap. It is only $0.08/kwh. So what do you think, do i have any chance of making profit from mining?

I am paying here at least $0,20. So $0,15 is cheap for me.
legendary
Activity: 1045
August 14, 2014, 09:31:41 AM
I think you're one of the many miners that quit. That's why the ASIC devices are getting cheaper and cheaper. This has happend for GPU's too, you can buy some used GPU's for great prices nowadays.

However, it might still be profitable in the long run to mine now. You might not make profit now, but what if the Bitcoin is worth, for example, $5000 next year? It might have been profitable then to keep on mining now.

But then, then the better desicion is to buy bitcoins and holding them. Because you have to pay the electricity now or periodicly with fiat or btc, so you better of buying periodicly btc instead of paying for the electricity. so you buy btc with the money you want to spend for the miner. you have a fix amount and then, the amount you would spend for electricity you just buy new bitcoins. at the end you will get far more. 
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
August 14, 2014, 08:25:43 AM
I think one of the main reason that you could not succeed is high electricity bill. In my country it is relatively cheap. It is only $0.08/kwh. So what do you think, do i have any chance of making profit from mining?
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038
August 14, 2014, 05:21:04 AM
Black Arrow has successfully squeezed me out of the mining game by not delivering my hardware and robbing me of my ASIC capital.

BFL, HashFast, AMT and many others have also successfully driven out thousands of miners using the same strategy.

My GPUs currently mine 30¢/day (after power) worth of ConspiracyCoin so I guess I'm not completely out of the game yet. I'm sure they're working on an X11 ASIC to screw me on this too...that's right boys spend a few million to fuck me out of 30¢, assholes.
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
August 14, 2014, 03:57:26 AM
So im out of the mining game.

Getting asics importet from china is too expensive -.-
Electricity is too expensive in my country 0.14$/kwh -.-
and my block erupters isnt making me anything.

this game have only been a waste of money so far.

GL on your mining guys Smiley dont make the same mistakes as i did.

Mining game sucks, only manufacturer wins... No choice but to buy BTC since its cheap now... $540..
Activity: 165
Merit: 100
August 14, 2014, 12:47:56 AM
Quit GPU mining two months ago. People who bought ASIC are probably worse off than GPU miners,
legendary
Activity: 1694
Merit: 1024
August 14, 2014, 12:20:53 AM
Mining is becoming harder for me too. Even with the efficient 750 Ti's they're barely covering power costs now. Sad
Pages:
Jump to: