Pages:
Author

Topic: I got SCAMMED by bitbox.mx!!! - page 2. (Read 12822 times)

Activity: 630
Merit: 500
Bitgoblin
June 25, 2013, 11:59:14 AM
There is no law against holding your money if you don't give them ID.
{{citation needed}}

There is a law? Wait, where?

{{citation needed}}
Are you insane?
Do you think there is not a law agains you holding my money?
Like, in, I don't know, theft?

Either there is a specific clause claiming you can hold my money, or you are breaking the law.
legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112
June 25, 2013, 11:19:25 AM
{{citation needed}}

There is a law? Wait, where?

{{citation needed}}
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
Bitgoblin
June 25, 2013, 11:10:24 AM
{{citation needed}}
legendary
June 25, 2013, 09:27:32 AM
Called my bank, and you are right! ACH reversals can be made!

But I'll have to go to the branch in person, fill out a couple of forms, and wait ~10 business days to get my deposit back....

I still blame BitBox for all the wastage of time, and holding up of my money!!!

In Bitbox's defense, you've made a massive shitstorm and stirred it up. This looks like it could've easily been fixed...

Now that I have my money back, I can lol @ your comment.

In my defense, I should have the right to refuse to accept the ToS and NOT get my money confiscated. The whole "shitstorm" was based on an idea as simple as that. Was that wrong to assume?

It's against the law for them to violate the law (well, we knew that already, didn't we?). There is no law against holding your money if you don't give them ID.
Activity: 44
Merit: 0
June 25, 2013, 01:31:24 AM

But I'll have to go to the branch in person, fill out a couple of forms, and wait ~10 business days to get my deposit back....

In Bitbox's defense, you've made a massive shitstorm and stirred it up. This looks like it could've easily been fixed...

Now that I have my money back, I can lol @ your comment.

In my defense, I should have the right to refuse to accept the ToS and NOT get my money confiscated. The whole "shitstorm" was based on an idea as simple as that. Was that wrong to assume?
legendary
June 25, 2013, 01:27:12 AM

June 25, 2013, 01:22:27 AM
So, finally, after a month long exercise, my bank FINALLY managed to get the $500 back from BitBox.mx.

WARNING to anyone doing business with BitBox: Read the ToS VERY carefully, because if they CAN screw you, they WILL screw you!
Activity: 155
Merit: 100
June 19, 2013, 12:00:59 AM
What about Mexican AML laws? That site claims to be Mexican at least.

They are actually based out of the University of Michigan!

Not sure what the deal is with the .mx domain...

The reasoning behind mx was "Money Exchange" (that and .com was taken).  They have nothing to do with Mexico.
June 18, 2013, 01:06:38 AM

They are actually based out of the University of Michigan!

Not sure what the deal is with the .mx domain...
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
June 15, 2013, 05:42:14 PM
I get that part. I'm wanting to here the legal side of it Smiley
Activity: 952
Merit: 1009
June 15, 2013, 04:02:45 PM
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
June 15, 2013, 10:42:30 AM
If you refuse to verify, they actually have everty right to take your money.  

They are violating laws if they DO NOT verify you.

The previous 2 posters must be 14

No they aren't.  Period.  Please cite the FinCEN reg which requires a company to steal the assets of a client if they don't verify.

AML requirements are for TRANSMISSION.  If you return funds it isn't transmission.   If the company feels the transaction is suspicious they are obligated to file a SAR (suspicious activity report).  They are obligated to file this EVEN IF the client verifies after the fact.  The mere presence of suspicious activity obligates the SAR.  Nothing allows a company to seize assets of clients.  Nothing.  Seizure of private property requires a warrant and is done by law enforcement with the authority of a judge not by a company's internal policies.  Has the OP been served with a warrant (like in  MtGox case?)?  No.  Then any seizure is unlawful.

Take the classic example of Western Union.  Alice wires money to Bob but Bob doesn't have or want to show ID.  What happens?  Does WU just keep the money?  No that would be called theft of client funds. Alice can pickup the funds up.   I
Activity: 574
June 15, 2013, 10:18:09 AM
What the fuck?  This is still being chewed on?  Seriously?  This stupid ass OP needs to contact his bank and tell the fucking truth.  Truth being he is uncomfortable with the terms . He nor the site owner probably expected this to happen but it did.  Now I highly doubt it was an automatic freeze.  I'm sure considering this is a mom and pop style money exchange someone had to physicaly lock it.  But that doesn't mean it was a scam.

If the OP transfered that much money out of his account I'm going to assume he has money and does treat his central banking system with respect.  Thus giveing a little leverage to go down in person and play stupid/victim and have this all taken care of within a matter of a working day or two.

In my frank opinion if this waa a scam more people would be in the same boat.  But it's one hard head out of a grip of people. You also have to remember the longer you wait to do a reverse the harder it becomes to get it done.

----Short form----
You did not expect this to happen but it did.  You are uncomfortable and wish to keep your privacy.  Talk to your banks service manager.  Tell them you invested in something and it became more then you could chew and have nothing to show for it.  Get your money back and use another exchange median if you still want btc
June 15, 2013, 09:51:44 AM
Which laws would these be? is it not country based?
Activity: 28
June 14, 2013, 06:50:00 PM
If you refuse to verify, they actually have everty right to take your money. 

They are violating laws if they DO NOT verify you.

The previous 2 posters must be 14
June 14, 2013, 06:31:37 PM
Still they have no right to keep your money, hope you find a way to get it back, best of luck!

100% Agreed!
Activity: 126
June 14, 2013, 07:30:36 AM
Still they have no right to keep your money, hope you find a way to get it back, best of luck!
Activity: 126
June 14, 2013, 07:28:46 AM
You need to remember that companies like this will often ask for personal documents and information. You need to read the T&C before you agree to something, plain and simple.
Activity: 252
June 14, 2013, 01:34:19 AM
Something smells fishy here.  Perhaps he didn't call them or give verification info because he can't?  Maybe he registered the account with a false identity or maybe the verification was triggered not as a random spot check, but as a "for cause" investigation?

I have clearly stated that MY money could either be reversed from the bank account it was sent from or could be mailed back to my address on file via check. I don't have any problems VERIFYING anything as long as it doesnt involve bitbox requesting my passport/state id/bank statements.

If you've read the thread, all I'm against is giving my personal information to a shady start-up like BitBox. Theyre more than welcome to come visit me if they would like to verify who I am.

On a side note, you sound a lot like one of the BitBox guys I talked to. Out of curiosity, are you associated with BitBox in a any way??

You are using  bank account.  They want to make sure you own the account.  They are protecting their ass, it dont matter if they send to the original bank account or not, the have KYC shit they have to follow, or end up like Dwolla.

How the fuck else are you gonna verify if not ID?  A goddamn snickers wrapper with your name on it, in a picture with a shoe on your head?

Xbox and I don't often agree on stuff, but THIS!

If you don't want to do business with them, fine, but they didn't take your money.  You gave it to them and you have the right to go get it back anytime you want.

And yes, Dwolla just asked me for KBA ID last week.  I was more than happy to oblige.  They sent me an email with a phone number and I gave them a call.  After a few short minutes with a rep and him directing me to a link on my dwolla page, I had a verified account and access to all of my money.  Whole process took about 10 minutes.  It would probably take you that long too if you just gave them a call and talked to them.  See how easy that was?

And picture of me with a shoe on my head... now THAT'D be an interesting KYC request!
Activity: 252
June 14, 2013, 01:31:13 AM
Something smells fishy here.  Perhaps he didn't call them or give verification info because he can't?  Maybe he registered the account with a false identity or maybe the verification was triggered not as a random spot check, but as a "for cause" investigation?

I have clearly stated that MY money could either be reversed from the bank account it was sent from or could be mailed back to my address on file via check. I don't have any problems VERIFYING anything as long as it doesnt involve bitbox requesting my passport/state id/bank statements.

If you've read the thread, all I'm against is giving my personal information to a shady start-up like BitBox. Theyre more than welcome to come visit me if they would like to verify who I am.

On a side note, you sound a lot like one of the BitBox guys I talked to. Out of curiosity, are you associated with BitBox in a any way??

As i've stated before, I have no idea who bitbox is.  But why not just drive to your local bank and request an ACH reversal?  Or give them a call and not give them info.  It seemed like they were very willing to work with you but you didn't want to work with them.  One has got to start wondering why at some point in time...

And we probably sound alike because we are both using the same sort of thinking skills known as logic...
Pages:
Jump to: