Pages:
Author

Topic: I have a multibit wallet and I don't see any funds - page 5. (Read 883 times)

legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
The address that I have doesn't start with a 5 or an L or  K.  It starts with a 1.
The address starts with a 1. It's the private key that starts with 5, L or K.

Warning: ignore all private messages from people who offer to "help" you. People have been scammed that way.

Bonus for after recovering and moving your Bitcoin: you probably own some Forkcoins too. Don't do anything with them before securing your Bitcoin, but don't forget about them either.
Activity: 38
Merit: 12
Thank you both for your replies.

The address that I have doesn't start with a 5 or an L or  K.  It starts with a 1.  It does say that it's a paper Wallet.  I purchased by Bitcoin through Bittylicious and it was pre-2014.  I payed a £100 per Bitcoin.  I'm thinking that maybe the paper wallet came with the orginial purchase through Bittylicious?  I then later on opened a Multibit wallet and put the bitcoins into it which I could see.  I left them there for a few years but I opened the Multibit wallet up again last year or at least year or the year before and I couldn't see them.  I'll download electrum now.
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 2904
Block halving is coming.
If you can still open the wallet you can do this below if the above suggestion doesn't work.

You can try to export the private keys from Multibit by going to tools>export private keys

It should be looks like this

Then you can import it to Electrum.
HCP
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 4314
If you have a wallet recovery mnemonic, then you were likely using MultiBit HD... as multibit classic did not use recovery mnemonics.

Which is a bit confusing, as you say you have a single address with QR Codes for the address and private key... as that is a paper wallet, and from memory was not a feature in MultiBit HD. So, I'm thinking that maybe the "recovery mnemonic" and the "paper wallet" are not actually related. Huh

To recover using the wallet recovery mnemonic, you can enter that into another BIP39 compatible wallet. I would recommend that you use Electrum: https://www.electrum.org/#download

ONLY download from the official site as linked... and follow this excellent tutorial on how to verify that download before using it: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.54223763

Once you have Electrum setup:
- create a new wallet
- select "standard wallet"
- select "I already have a seed"
- click the "Options" button and tick the "BIP39 seed" box
- Enter your recovery mnemonic (it should say next to the options button "BIP39 (checksum: OK)".
- On the next page, Electrum should prompt you for the address type... click the "Detect existing accounts" button

At this point, Electrum will hopefully find your old addresses/transactions/private keys etc... If it does not, the appropriate settings are:
- Select "Legacy (p2pkh)"
- Change the derivation path to: m/0'

That will restore your multiBit HD wallet into Electrum.

As for the piece of paper with the QR codes, you can also import that into Electrum, but instead of using the "standard wallet" option... use the "Import bitcoin addresses or private keys" option when creating the wallet and then scan the "redeem" barcode. (or enter the private key manually... it should start with a "5" and "L" or a "K")

If you don't have a webcam, you can trying using a mobile wallet (like Mycelium or Electrum - Android) to scan the "redeem" QR code.
Activity: 38
Merit: 12
OK as I state in the title, I opened a multibit wallet a few years ago into which I deposited a couple of Bitcoins.  When I open the wallet, it just doesn't show any Bitcoins at all in there.  I would have set up the wallet around 2015 I think.  I still have the address for the transaction into the wallet printed on a piece of paper.  It also has two scan boxes; one to load and verity and the other to redeem.  I'm not sure what they mean.  I also have the words written down which are the wallet recovery mnemonic.  The computer on which I set all this up is not now in use but sitting in a spare room at home.  Could someone give me some guidance on how to find my Bitcoin if they are still there to be found?  Thank you very much for any replies and forgive my ignorance.
Pages:
Jump to: