Pages:
Author

Topic: I was interviewed about Bitcoin on more than 100 Radio stations! ~100K Listeners - page 6. (Read 10868 times)

legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276
On the plus side, I would say that the kind of people that you might lasso in would tend to be among the most capable of looking out for themselves in the Wild West that is the Bitcoin world at this time.

On the minus side, the higher the percentage of tax cheats and so on that compose the Bitcoin community, the easier it will be to make the shit which is thrown at it stick.

On balance I think that the project would be better served by not becoming to much more Libertarian heavy, but I could be wrong so I do wish you the best of luck.

legendary
Activity: 947
Merit: 1008
central banking = outdated protocol
There is really little anyone can do to stop bitcoin from being maligned by the ignorant or the financially interested. It already has been and is going to be for a long time.  No sense in beating around the bush because in the end there will be as much or more gain in adoption from bad press as good. I guarantee there are more than a few "establishment types" who will publicly discredit but privately use the bitcoin network.

Knock 'em dead Roger!
Activity: 868
Merit: 1007
1.Taxation is the moral equivalent of theft.
2. The draft is the moral equivalent of kidnapping and slavery.
3. The government is the most successful organized criminal gang in a particular area.
4. Because of the first three items,  they want nothing to do with the state.

I understand that most people do not agree with the above,  but because most listeners of this show do,  I think they will be interested in my original points.
Actually, I think most people agree with these things (or at least could very easily be persuaded to those points of view).  If bitcoin is to survive, the average person is going to need to be supportive of it.  If you talk about all the ways bitcoin can be used to break laws, every word you say will be used as propaganda against bitcoin and the average person, not really knowing any better, will form an opinion against bitcoin.  Your audience in this forum is intelligent enough to put 2 & 2 together and see where this is headed, I don't think you need to spell it out for them.  The best thing the powers that be could hope for is a bunch of people to start ranting in public about all the ways bitcoin can be used to break the law or destroy the system.  The media will have a field day portraying those people as a bunch of fringe lunatics or terrorists…they'll have all the support they need from the voters to pass all sorts of draconian laws or regulations to put a stake in the heart of bitcoin.  Governments will pass all sorts of heavy regulations around the use of virtual currencies by businesses that it makes it so costly to deal with bitcoin in a compliant manner that it's simply not economical to use.  It probably wouldn't completely kill bitcoin, but it might set it back a few decades.
donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
I understand that many people have very different political views,  but please keep in mind that the majority of the listeners to this radio show
think:

3. The government is the most successful organized criminal gang in a particular area.

Thank you all for your advice.
I am taking all of it into consideration.

Excellent insight on freetalklive's listener base but remember, somewhere down the road another interview may take place with a different type of audience, as you mentioned, and taboo talking points could easily come back to haunt us.

Hmm. I've actually thought for a while that Bitcoin may first be adapted by fringe and radical groups.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
Everyone,

Thank you for your input.

For those concerned about the illegal aspects of Bitcoin,  I they will surely come up durring the interview.
The main host openly admits that he refuses to pay federal income taxes because he doesn't support the things the federal government does.
He spoke of the silk road way back in 2010 as the potential "killer app" for bitcoins.

I understand that many people have very different political views,  but please keep in mind that the majority of the listeners to this radio show
think:

I understand that most people do not agree with the above,  but because most listeners of this show do,  I think they will be interested in my original points.
If I was going on the Oprah Winfrey show,  I should certainly use a different list of talking points.

I will continue to monitor this thread for about the next 10 hours.
I will post the interview on youtube as soon as it is available.

Excellent insight on freetalklive's listener base but remember, somewhere down the road another interview may take place with a different type of audience, as you mentioned, and taboo talking points could easily come back to haunt us.
Activity: 602
Merit: 501
If I was going on the Oprah Winfrey show

Now this would be something. Cool
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
we trust your judgment and understanding of Bitcoin, Roger.  go get 'em!
vip
Activity: 1052
Merit: 1155
Everyone,

Thank you for your input.

For those concerned about the illegal aspects of Bitcoin,  I they will surely come up durring the interview.
The main host openly admits that he refuses to pay federal income taxes because he doesn't support the things the federal government does.
He spoke of the silk road way back in 2010 as the potential "killer app" for bitcoins.

think:

If I was going on the Oprah Winfrey show,  I should certainly use a different list of talking points.

I will continue to monitor this thread for about the next 10 hours.
I will post the interview on youtube as soon as it is available.

legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1003
I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man
Its a good thing I waited before investing into the a radio spots on freetalklive
legendary
I would make a grocery list of all the known features and benefits of Bitcoin. There are as yet unknown business opportunities that have yet to be explored. If the reporter tries to steer you into "gotcha" questions, bring up something "you just thought of" that changes the conversation. In other words keep the focus on the frontier spirit of this technology.

And, by no means let this happen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6UpGrgbdnU
donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
I would make a grocery list of all the known features and benefits of Bitcoin. There are as yet unknown business opportunities that have yet to be explored. If the reporter tries to steer you into "gotcha" questions, bring up something "you just thought of" that changes the conversation. In other words keep the focus on the frontier spirit of this technology.
Activity: 868
Merit: 1007
Mention that "bitcoin is the most powerful computational system ever organized by mankind for a common purpose."  In one sense, the internet itself is the most powerful computational system ever organized, but it's not for a common purpose.  I think many people, upon hearing that, would  think that there must certainly be a powerful idea behind this if that many people are devoting that many resources toward this common purpose.  You could get into the geeky stats (i.e. more powerful than the top 500 super computers combined), but I think that actually takes away from the message.  People start thinking more about the numbers and less about the bigger picture.
legendary
I love how this thread is progressing. Let's keep it up, folks, hoping Roger with MD soaks it all in and gives one hell of an interview.

I have one comment on the quote below which is not The Interview related (ref. in bold):

Government would still be able to collect as much revenue through taxes as before, if bitcoin was the only currency in use. Basically they would just have to utilize only VAT tax and land tax for all of their tax revenue, by adjusting these two taxes (that are close to impossible to dodge) tax revenues could end up being exactly the same as before.

The only reason why government wouldn't like this kind tax system is because, as mentioned, tax dodging would be difficult no matter who you are, so oligarchic and corporate interest groups would suddenly have to follow the same rules as everyone else.

No matter how a countries tax revenue is structured, it's safe to say that the net/gross intake will not stay the same as years past.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
And I think one of the people associated with the show (I'm being vague because I don't want to reveal something they don't want revealed) lost some bitcoins when MyBitcoin went away, so I'd expect security/trust issues to be raised, too.

Might be a good idea for OP to ready to field those kinds of questions.  I would bring up things like multi-signature contract, wallets like Strongcoin where the operator never has the private key. 

Bring every question back to Bitcoin = digital cash and needs to be treated as such.
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet
The hosts of Free Talk Live know quite a lot about Bitcoin-- I had lunch with them last year (there's a thread in here somewhere about that....).

RE: "don't emphasize the potential illegal uses" -- mmmm.  Last I heard, Ian was enthusiastic about the Silk Road, so I'd expect it to be part of the conversation.

And I think one of the people associated with the show (I'm being vague because I don't want to reveal something they don't want revealed) lost some bitcoins when MyBitcoin went away, so I'd expect security/trust issues to be raised, too.

Oh god. Is Bruce Wagner there too?
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216
Chief Scientist
The hosts of Free Talk Live know quite a lot about Bitcoin-- I had lunch with them last year (there's a thread in here somewhere about that....).

RE: "don't emphasize the potential illegal uses" -- mmmm.  Last I heard, Ian was enthusiastic about the Silk Road, so I'd expect it to be part of the conversation.

Activity: 523
Merit: 500
Bitcoin is not company owned, its not owned by any government, its owned by me you and everyone.
This means there is noone who can or will collect your shopping information.
Which both VISA and Mastercard recently was revealed to do.

Bitcoin is freedom.

When paypal froze Occupy Wallstreet, they used bitcoin.
Paypal froze diaspora the free facebook alternative.
They now have bitcoin.

Also mention its spreading all over the world. That china have two exchanges.

legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1004
Less is more.  I might start with:

Bitcoin is like gold but that you can send though the internet.  If you are careful, no-one can know about your bitcoins but you.

In expanding on Bitcoin's qualities I would focus on the properties that would appeal to your audience but in a subtle way.  Try to appear almost naive to the tremendous power that Bitcoin promises mankind while being clear and accurate about its positive qualities.  This way many of the listeners will naturally realise the true potential of Bitcoin on their own and hence be more motivated to get involved themselves.
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
I have been studying the mobile payment systems that are currently being introduced and are on the horizon for a few weeks now.

what painfully becomes obvious within a few minutes of looking at this issue is how every Tom, Dick, and Harry middleman is racing to get in btwn the payer and seller while at the same time introducing their "fee" into the tx.  you name the system; NFC, Square, Paypal, Starbucks in house system, whatever, you'll find a credit card company, a POS vendor, a bank, a telecom trying to insert themselves into the system.

we all know mobile payments is the wave of the future.  Bitcoin can clearly offer far superior services and lower fees, not to mention simplicity, to all digital mobile tx's.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127
Someone who wants to cheat the IRS will instantly identify a personal meaning for "financial privacy" and "immune to seizure" however it is much better if the OP isn't the one advocating it (even indirectly).

Exactly, and people who don't want to cheat will avoid it because it of the stigma created.  Just get the information out there about what it is, and leave it up to the people to decide their use for it.  
Pages:
Jump to: