Author

Topic: If Bitcoin had a stable price, would it still be as popular? - page 144. (Read 171736 times)

legendary
Activity: 3486
Merit: 1280
English ⬄ Russian Translation Services
Nope. But it would be safer than what it is now. Nobody likes to lose money when they were sleeping. (They like to make money though:)) Those  instant pumps and dumps  attracts gamblers and that's why bitcoin became more popular than anything else. People always think that they will win, they never consider of losing money. So many bought bitcoin with the same thoughts when the price was 1000$ and where are they now?

It would be more widely used by merchants if its price was more consistent and volatility less severe. Isn't that what Bitcoin was meant to be? That is, to be a means of payment, a currency in its own right...

But not a vehicle for speculation and a handy device for scamming
legendary
Activity: 3276
Merit: 2442
Nope. But it would be safer than what it is now. Nobody likes to lose money when they were sleeping. (They like to make money though:)) Those  instant pumps and dumps  attracts gamblers and that's why bitcoin became more popular than anything else. People always think that they will win, they never consider of losing money. So many bought bitcoin with the same thoughts when the price was 1000$ and where are they now?
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
BULL RUN until 2030
Do you think if BTC had a stable price which could only be altered by $0.01-0.10 it would still be as popular and as used?
I think it would be still popular, because it is very convenient. But, maybe some of people would stop using it, because there would be no more reason for investing money in it.
Big investor will come in during that time, big merchants will come in as they can assure they will not be experiencing loses anymore because the price is now stable, today is more on investment stage and we should take the opportunity to do it.
As of now bitcoins price is  volatile and its also a good source of income for some or even to those big investors out there. When the time comes that bitcoin would stable its price then it would be  still popular since  it has advantages of transfering fund to another person without  having a big transaction fee.

People who wants to enter into bitcoin will surely love the stable price as it will give them a felling of trust to invest in it but traders will not like stable price for sure.
It's true and I believe we can see a stable price in the future and that is when the investors will come in. This time, since we are in the early phase, we have to do the right thing which is to invest and when the price will be stable it's time to sell our bitcoins for profit. Early adopters should be rewarded.
Activity: 672
Merit: 503
Do you think if BTC had a stable price which could only be altered by $0.01-0.10 it would still be as popular and as used?
I think it would be still popular, because it is very convenient. But, maybe some of people would stop using it, because there would be no more reason for investing money in it.
Big investor will come in during that time, big merchants will come in as they can assure they will not be experiencing loses anymore because the price is now stable, today is more on investment stage and we should take the opportunity to do it.
As of now bitcoins price is  volatile and its also a good source of income for some or even to those big investors out there. When the time comes that bitcoin would stable its price then it would be  still popular since  it has advantages of transfering fund to another person without  having a big transaction fee.

People who wants to enter into bitcoin will surely love the stable price as it will give them a felling of trust to invest in it but traders will not like stable price for sure.
legendary
Activity: 3094
Merit: 1127
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
I agree that quite a lot of peole try making profits off it's fluctuating price or even hope for it to go to $ 3000 but it doesn't exclude the fact that a lot of peole are fascinated by the possibilities it offers and the main principle which is being able to transfer big amounts of money without having to use a bank or a middle man where also you have to pay the fees.So yes it would still be popular.
Activity: 2926
Merit: 636
Activity: 1274
Merit: 622
legendary
I thought, yeah it will become more popular. because maybe some companies or banks will be interested in bitcoin, if have a stable price. because of fluctuations in these prices could be detrimental to them. but it is very beneficial for the users bitcoin.

Yes its price will be more stable if it became more popular.  Many people will be aware of the existence of bitcoin and its uses like money can do.  And if that happens then everyone will be interested.  Then the demand would be huge and it will have a stable price since many would want to invest on it.

I expect the bitcoin to be much higher if the price is stable. I mean the volatility is low and there is no big price bubble.

Most certainly you expect in vain. But you are not alone, if that makes your disappointment somewhat less severe. In fact, to expect something out of nothing is the most popular form of expectation...

The higher the price, the higher the volatility. Bitcoin law #1

At this stage of the bitcoin development, the price will be volatile as the market cap is too small. But in the future, it will be more stable.

This is one of the most common misconceptions that is widespread among Bitcoin users here (another one is that gold is less profitable than Bitcoin). Could you please explain why you think that Bitcoin will be more stable if its market cap grows, say, tenfold? I'm really fascinated how people stubbornly continue to repeat one folly after another...

As if they had no brains of their own
Activity: 227
Merit: 100
I thought, yeah it will become more popular. because maybe some companies or banks will be interested in bitcoin, if have a stable price. because of fluctuations in these prices could be detrimental to them. but it is very beneficial for the users bitcoin.

Yes its price will be more stable if it became more popular.  Many people will be aware of the existence of bitcoin and its uses like money can do.  And if that happens then everyone will be interested.  Then the demand would be huge and it will have a stable price since many would want to invest on it.

I expect the bitcoin to be much higher if the price is stable. I mean the volatility is low and there is no big price bubble.

Most certainly you expect in vain. But you are not alone, if that makes your disappointment somewhat less severe. In fact, to expect something out of nothing is the most popular form of expectation...

At this stage of the bitcoin development, the price will be volatile as the market cap is too small. But in the future, it will be more stable.
legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 544

Activity: 700
Merit: 501
legendary

I'd say "Why wouldn't it?" A lot of people afraid of using Bitcoin exactly because of the high volatility of its price. If the price becomes stable I think more people will be using Bitcoin.

stability is most important for the bitcoin to be used as a currency. Maybe after the market cap is larger, it will be more stable.

It won't for rather trivial reasons. The Bitcoin market cap is equal to the number of coins multiplied by the price of a coin. If the price of Bitcoin grows, its volatility increases as well (this is a given). But volatility is the opposite of stability. The recent price swings only confirm what simple arithmetics dictates...

Even if we exclude the effects of the recent Bitfinex hack

I'd say "Why wouldn't it?" A lot of people afraid of using Bitcoin exactly because of the high volatility of its price. If the price becomes stable I think more people will be using Bitcoin.

stability is most important for the bitcoin to be used as a currency. Maybe after the market cap is larger, it will be more stable.
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000
Blocklancer - Freelance on the Blockchain

possible but most see btc as something else and companies are little defensive not to mention banks
if that happens that won't be good bank will control it from sure
legendary
Activity: 3374
Merit: 2198
I stand with Ukraine.

legendary
Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001
trading is the most important and profitable way to make money online but yes if the price becames very kuch stable then also i would love bitcoin because it has so many features like anonymous and instant transaction to worldwide
yes bitcoin will be very popular. bitcoin with the situation can be very widely used by various parties. but when it happens it is the traders who are disadvantaged. as traders will be difficult to get a big profit when the price of bitcoin very stable.
Activity: 25
Merit: 0
The USD only varies a small amount per year, whatever the inflation rate is or the exchange rate.  It still is popular.   Same thing with gold as an investment.   People love it.  Bitcoin might not be as popular but it would certainly still get used.

The market cap of the bitcoin is still too small and it is easy to manipulate the price. When bitcoin is used more, it will be more stable.
Jump to: