Pages:
Author

Topic: If MtGox can ident the Bitcoins, why not fix it? - page 7. (Read 11612 times)

Activity: 728
Merit: 500
there never was double spends.

Only bad money managing from Gox
There were double withdrawals though. And at least Mt Gox should have a record of by who..

You could probably get a pretty good idea with careful examination of the blockchain, but you'd need Mt Gox's withdrawal records to be sure.. but the exact same amount withdrawn to the same address more than once, combined with hash padding issues seems like a good place to start.. Cross referenced with Mt Gox withdrawal records and their KYC records and it seems like you should be able to knock on someone's door and ask some good questions.. 

BTC withdrawals have been possible without the whole KYC-verification until not too long ago. If this problem has been going on for years as the leaked PDF claims, then it started way before Gox had names and other info on their BTC-withdrawers.
soy
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1013
I can understand that they may be fiat broke but how can they have fewer Bitcoins than their legal transactions indicate?
You send me 10BTC.

I lose those BTC by some means.

You ask for your BTC back.

I say I have halted withdrawals of your BTC because $PROBLEMS

You say, "it's OK, grifferz must have my BTC because trades have indicated it"

I sit on a big blue ball.

Back to the missing Bitcoins and the original question.  Identify the Bitcoins and stop them in their tracks.  Whether double spent or stolen, mine are mine and if MtGox sent them to someone else that's theft.
Activity: 12
Merit: 0

There were double withdrawals though. And at least Mt Gox should have a record of by who..

You could probably get a pretty good idea with careful examination of the blockchain, but you'd need Mt Gox's withdrawal records to be sure.. but the exact same amount withdrawn to the same address more than once, combined with hash padding issues seems like a good place to start.. Cross referenced with Mt Gox withdrawal records and their KYC records and it seems like you should be able to knock on someone's door and ask some good questions.. 
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
legendary
Activity: 2604
Merit: 1036
What is a big blue ball?
Activity: 154
I can understand that they may be fiat broke but how can they have fewer Bitcoins than their legal transactions indicate?
You send me 10BTC.

I lose those BTC by some means.

You ask for your BTC back.

I say I have halted withdrawals of your BTC because $PROBLEMS

You say, "it's OK, grifferz must have my BTC because trades have indicated it"

I sit on a big blue ball.
soy
legendary
Given that every transaction is listed in the blockchain, why not identify the double spent Bitcoins and stop them in their tracks, make them worthless, and reissue the Bitcoins?  Or would that just pass the buck as it were, putting the bad debt where ever the stolen bitcoins are now?  It would be pretty difficult to spend that much money on merchandise that quickly.

Activity: 140
Given that every transaction is listed in the blockchain, why not identify the double spent Bitcoins and stop them in their tracks, make them worthless, and reissue the Bitcoins?  Or would that just pass the buck as it were, putting the bad debt where ever the stolen bitcoins are now?  It would be pretty difficult to spend that much money on merchandise that quickly.

soy
legendary
Pages:
Jump to: