Pages:
Author

Topic: If someone buys Bitcoin today, they'll be lucky to see a 300%+ ROI. - page 3. (Read 17741 times)

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

However, if you're worried about bitcoin and would rather have something more historically stable, you can always buy gold instead. In the event of economic problems, bitcoin, gold and alt-coins will retain value together.

Gold is as almost as useless as FIAT against an antagonistic government.  They dont teach us this in high school history class, but FDR confiscated all privately owned gold in America before and during WWII.  He just passed an executive order (maybe it was a law, you can google it up) that said: IT IS HENCEFORTH ILLEGAL FOR ANY CITIZEN TO OWN GOLD, PLEASE GIVE ALL GOLD AND TITLES TO GOLD TO ME IMMEDIATELY, OR WE WILL COME AND TAKE IT BY FORCE.  Think that wont happen again?

Another benefit of bitcoin is that it has virtually zero mass, so you can move it, hide it, and prevent it from being confiscated.  That is the risk we are really hedging against with bitcoin, the risk that the government will modify the laws that regulate physical property and/or the redeemability of FIAT money.  

What we really need instead of a bitcoin 2.0 is an internet 2.0.  We need a wireless network that will allow us all to continue to exchange cryptocurrencies WHEN (not if) the world government slams the internet shut in our faces.  If you cant log into the web or the cloud, you cant use bitcoin.  Or, a few predator drones could take out the major mining pools and the network goes down.  Access to a network infrastructre (the hardware, not the code), is the only remaining weakness we the people have.  I wish more people were focused on that - because this whole decentralized crypto economy still has that one real-world achilles heel, which is its total dependence upon DARPANET - uh, I mean the internet.
Activity: 63
Merit: 10
I completely agree with you, also I will like to add, that is expensive to get into Bitcoin, to go out a purchase a single BTC is next to impossible.

And yes, Im aware of Coinbase, ect. But Lets I wanted to buy something in the next 20mins  or place a Bet on GoWest website, in the next 20mins, If im new, I wouldn't be able to do that.

You are correct, but this expense is mostly in know-how, and can be overcome with a little experience.

The BTC protocol makes sure that there is, and always will be, one and only one way to buy and take possession of BTC in <20 mins, and that is on the network by interacting directly with another bitcoin holder.  That is what BTC is all about.  You dont need banks.  You dont WANT an intermediary.  It wont work well through an intermediary.  To get BTC you get it directly from someone else on the network.

When I was a noob (ok I still am a "junior" member) I spent an entire weekend trying to buy my first BTC so I could plunk it immediately into BITTREX.  Coinbase would have made me wait a week.  Every other BTC/USD site wanted my ID, phone bill, and naked pictures of my girlfriend... no way Im sending out a photo of my passport (although my gf is happy to provide pics).  Finally I found localbitcoins, and I had my BTC on BITTREX less than 2 hours later.  Now I can repeat the same process in less than 20 mins through the trustworthy seller I found on the localbitcoins site.

So in the end, the BTC protocol enforces itself in real-world practice.  Not only does it circumvent banks.  It doesnt work when banks try to insert themselves into the transactions.  In terms of executing transactions P2P, its brilliant and foolproof (regardless of its vulnerabilities on the mining side of things).

I have been struggling to wrap my head around all of the "bitcoin 2.0" stuff and Im leaning more and more towards the position that it is merely the old money institutions trying to hamstring the transaction process all over again through mandatory nodes and pseudo-centralization.  Call it, "re-centralization."

Some one tell me why I need XRP instead of bitcoin WITHOUT mentioning the benefits of the "trusted" third party that all of these re-centralizing 2.0 platforms introduce, and maybe Ill buy some 2.0 tokens from you.  But if I have to hop through unnecessary gateways just for the access to your 2.0 system, Ill stick with BTC, darkcoin, pinkcoin, or whatever other 1.0 network suits my purchasing need at that moment...
legendary
Activity: 945
Merit: 1003
Still think ripple is headed past bitcoin, gowest?
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014
Welt Am Draht
I recall reading somewhere that at current supply levels it would take $250 billion of direct expenditure to get BTC to around $80,000 per coin. Market cap don't mean very much at all.
donator
Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015
It took $6.8 billion to get from $10 to $500.  It would take $63 billion to get to $5000/Bitcoin.  A lot of people are counting on Wall St. and institutional investors to make that happen, but $63 billion is A LOT of money, even for Wall St. How likely is it that investors will come up with $63 billion to put into a speculative currency?

Even though I haven't seen a response to my question yet, I did want to go back to your comment here and address this misconception.

A market cap of $63 billion != $63 billion in fiat purchases. In fact, it's likely that under $2 billion has ever been "spent" on Bitcoin.

The difference between market cap and cash flows is well-understood to most investors. Bitcoin's market cap right now is just over that of the company Energizer, the one that makes batteries. Which is more important, though? Energizer or Bitcoin? This should be an obvious answer since the market cap of Bitcoin basically encompasses every Bitcoin entity, including old miners, whales, investors, traders, merchants, processors, and etc. $63 billion dollars for a market cap is indeed high, but still only on a level of a Monsanto or Time Warner, which IMHO, Bitcoin definitely has the potential to be bigger than.
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
If someone buys Bitcoin today, they'll be lucky to see a 300%+ ROI

It exclusively depends on the willy bot.  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1639
Merit: 1006
I am actually feeling relief as I read your post as I believe that the newest owners of Bitcoin won't attain 10,000% gains until early holders sell their coins.

I personally have little doubt that you will regret liquidating. Bitcoin won't be going anywhere, and competition is really non-existent right now it will live on and be worth far more than what it is today.

legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087
itt caputalation. now *I'm* calling the bottom Wink

So, I was wrong, but 2 months later and any purchase at $553 is no longer underwater.

Not a long time to wait really Smiley

Patience in BTC world is handsomely rewarded.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
Bitcoin on BTC-e was valued at $657 on March 7th, 2014.

Will bump again once it goes past $2604.
donator
Activity: 1419
Since you're still reading this, I gotta ask...

Do you plan to get back in when you spot the next bottom? Also, I noticed your call of $2 was actually off by a month. You posted that in October 2011 but Bitcoin didn't hit $2 till mid-November.

Bitcoin seems, to me, to be traded like a commodity. We know exactly how many Bitcoin there are, so selling out of everything and trying to call the bottom with certainty is a fool's errand. Granted you've done it before, and I see you noticed this as well, but don't you potentially see that happening again? Someone with millions or perhaps billions wanting to stockpile such an easily-manipulated currency?
Activity: 563
Merit: 501
betwithbtc.com
Okay that's better.
Activity: 526
Merit: 508
My other Avatar is also Scrooge McDuck
It took $6.8 billion to get from $10 to $500.  It would take $63 billion to get to $5000/Bitcoin.  A lot of people are counting on Wall St. and institutional investors to make that happen, but $63 billion is A LOT of money, even for Wall St.
This was your reasoning? You only see bitcoin as competition to the stock market and nothing else?

That's like saying that Chocolate bars could never get big because they compete with peanut bars and the market for ONLY peanut bars isn't that big...

Meanwhile, chocolate bars kept on getting more popular as they took tiny chunks of the markets away from tens of thousands of other sweets.

I've always seen bitcoin as stealing the Remittance market away from WU and co first, then precious metals like gold and silver second.

Stocks? I barely see the connection. What a freaking idiotic thing to assume your market is limited to!

Bitcoin can EASILY grow to a trillion dollars if the public likes it, not because remittance + gold markets have that much room to spare, but because ALL investments and financial systems on planet earth have a tiny bit of room to spare each.

What a waste.
Activity: 223
Merit: 100
Anyway, suffice it to say that I'm not done in the crypto-currency space. I've divested into Bitcoin 2.0 technologies, and look forward to seeing the space grow. I expect to see better returns on those investments than I would if I simply held Bitcoin.
I can understand what you're saying. BitCoin was the "Wright Flyer" but we need to move onto "Monoplanes" and then the "Jet Age".
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 4738
You're never too old to think young.
300% positive or negative value Huh

(Silly chart with arbitrary lines)

LOLOLOL

Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin
Activity: 406
300% positive or negative value Huh

legendary
Activity: 2114
I'm currently in 600% ROI with Auroracoin in just 4 days of investment. OP your topic is older than that still pretty old so already your point is proven wrong. Now crawl back to your bear cave.
Activity: 546
Merit: 500
hm
God dammit!  Shocked

No problem. Interested in making 300% ROI in one year? Just stuff your million of dollars into Bitcoin  Grin
Activity: 703
Merit: 502
JUst 300% wow that sucks....  Roll Eyes

+1 (and possibly in six months or less - how miserable)
Activity: 336
Just thank him for giving away cheap coins  Grin Grin Grin
Activity: 644
I'm afraid you sodl too early. The price just skyrocketed.
Pages:
Jump to: