Pages:
Author

Topic: I'm Kevin, here's my side. - page 4. (Read 258509 times)

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009
January 28, 2013, 08:01:21 PM

It takes decades to build trust, and only one second to break it.

How long does it take to offer a screenfull of opinion on how to handle a situation that happened two years ago?
Activity: 300
Merit: 250
BitcoinStarter.com Support Account
January 28, 2013, 07:57:36 PM
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
January 28, 2013, 07:44:44 PM
I believe that actually Kevin doesn't have to give back any of it.
He purchased them in good faith. Even if the market was crashing, I would have purchased it if I saw the opportunity.

Now, even if it is on his right to keep them, IF the money belonged to MTGOX (and not a user, but actually the main fund of MTGOX, which seems to be more plausible the more I think) then I guess that for the betterment of the economy and its stability, Kevin should give it back to MtGoX.
In exchange of the devolution, MtGox should give a compensation for the act of good faith and allow Kevin to keep the withdrawn amount
If the account was a personal one, Kevin has less obligation to give it back to the owner of it. When you make the wrong call playing poker you can't undo it, if you fucked it up, you fucked it up. Period.
But still, it would be a nice gesture, and this would be totally from Kevin's generosity, if Kevin gives back partially or totally to the previous owner. A generous compensation for this gesture would be appropriate.

BUT, Kevin has all the rights to keep it and not giving it back to anyone. He would be a total asshole by behaving like that, but it is in his right.
Now, everything depends on his will.

MtGox shouldn't rollback shit.
The least thing that MtGox can do is to compensate to all users for this scandal and for they negligence/incompetence.
The leaked userbase is embarrassing enough, and that needs a fair compensation to all of us who entrusted this site with our money, and in some cases, our life savings (doesn't matter if trusting one's savings is a unsound judgement, the point here is that our trust has been broken).

It takes decades to build trust, and only one second to break it.

Usually, one never recovers full trust with a person, but doing good deeds can help to reestablish the relationship.
I hope MtGox understands here that more than profit, trust is actually the backbone of a business.
If you don't offer a deal to keep your users happy, expect a bank run.
Activity: 386
Merit: 250
October 14, 2012, 11:23:30 AM
You are correct Kevin to take this approach. I believe Mt Gox tried to fuck everyone, especially you.  I believe they may have stolen bitcoins from accounts, then tried to sell them to buy them back up, thus laundering them into their own hands.

That's just my opinion, based on everything I have read and heard so far.

+1
+1
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
August 05, 2012, 01:35:21 AM
BTW, Toasty is still active, albeit under the guise of a different avatar, and is still active today, as in today.

~Bruno~

Zhou Tong? Wink

To be honest, I've yet to make that connection, if there is one. As it stands now, it's a stand-alone investigation that I stumbled upon searching for something else. Basically a fluke find, but once found, I did a few quick searches and was amazed. Even amazed that it wasn't found earlier for it's an find.

The reason I've yet to state anything about this find is because I'm currently suffering repercussions for presenting the latest finds. Adding another reason from the naysayers to reject me outright would be futile.

I can't believe this community has banned together to kick a 52-year-old grandfather to the curb. (see what I did there?)  Wink

So that's what a security cunsultant/game programmer does for fun, creates alternate identities of young asian boys?

I'll await your posting of initials to help me figure out which person you're in reference to, C_S.

BTW, you all do know that this guy's name is Kevin Day, don't you? There's this thingy called Google...

~Bruno~
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
Web Dev, Db Admin, Computer Technician
August 05, 2012, 01:15:39 AM
So that's what a security cunsultant/game programmer does for fun, creates alternate identities of young asian boys?
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
August 04, 2012, 11:05:59 PM
BTW, Toasty is still active, albeit under the guise of a different avatar, and is still active today, as in today.

~Bruno~

Zhou Tong? Wink
legendary
August 04, 2012, 11:04:37 PM

~Bruno~
legendary
August 04, 2012, 10:47:54 PM
Haha, no, I stuck around. Just curious about the location of 250,000 bitcoin. Isn't anyone else?

This is third on my list and was surprised to see it bumped. Too bad I'm busy with two other investigations right now, but if anybody wants to further dwell into this, check my past handful of posts, for I've left many of hints (think Jergens®). Once you start connecting the dots, you'll be shocked as to where it leads.

BTW, I've been doing all this research pro bono, and am not seeking any donations (I'm good), but was there a reward or two for information leading to the arrest of anyone attached to any of the Bitcoin thieves?

I've have one of then I.C.E. tokens in my wallet, therefore I should be able to practice policemen in all 50 states, including 185 countries, including The Vatican, in case anybody's Catholic. (Note to self: Quit dropping hints and just do it!)

~Bruno~
Activity: 210
August 04, 2012, 10:04:38 PM
Haha, no, I stuck around. Just curious about the location of 250,000 bitcoin. Isn't anyone else?
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000
My money; Our Bitcoin.
August 04, 2012, 08:40:26 PM
What's with all these old threads being revived? 

Does the current rise in price have something to do with it? 

People who left Bitcoin back in the fall of last year, thinking it was dead, starting to take notice again and realizing there just might be something to this Bitcoin stuff after all?    Wink
Activity: 210
August 04, 2012, 07:05:55 PM
Whatever happened with this? For an event that resulted in (presently) 2.5% of the bitcoin economy to end up in escrow limbo, I can't remember there being any resolution to this, either on this thread or elsewhere. Are the coins still there?
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
July 14, 2011, 02:50:11 AM
One month later, what was big news on reddit, is now big news on reddit again.  Go /r/Offbeat/

"I’m Kevin and I'm the guy who bought 259684 BTC (Bit Coins) for under $3000 yesterday. I really wanted to keep this as quiet as possible, but I don't feel I can anymore. Here's my side of what happened."

-  http://www.reddit.com/r/offbeat/comments/ioy5d/im_kevin_and_im_the_guy_who_bought_259684_btc_bit/

I love outsiders views on these situations, keeps things in perspective Smiley

Yeah, kind of highlights the absurd clown-car Bitcoin appears to be to regular people...

EDIT: ...which it is.
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
July 14, 2011, 01:34:42 AM
One month later, what was big news on reddit, is now big news on reddit again.  Go /r/Offbeat/

"I’m Kevin and I'm the guy who bought 259684 BTC (Bit Coins) for under $3000 yesterday. I really wanted to keep this as quiet as possible, but I don't feel I can anymore. Here's my side of what happened."

http://www.reddit.com/r/offbeat/comments/ioy5d/im_kevin_and_im_the_guy_who_bought_259684_btc_bit/

I love outsiders views on these situations, keeps things in perspective Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
July 07, 2011, 03:24:52 PM
Looking at the escrow, it seems Kevin dumped the money before MtGox even reopened. Can't tell if he took it out for himself, or sent it to the BTC Faucet...
I realize the escrow page is a little hard to read, but the money is still in the escrow account. If Gavin is reading this, it'd be awesome if he could confirm that publicly for me.
Oh. I was just wondering what the "Release request made on June 21, 2011" was about. When I was using the escrow, the "release date" was then the money was allowed to be transferred to the address listed.
I posted the link to the escrow page in public, which was really meant to only be shared with the other party in a private transaction. The moment I made the post here, someone clicked the "Request that the funds be released now" button, which is why it's saying that.

Oh. Well that's a weird system then Smiley I guess there's no real way around it though. But you are right, once done, I think it says something like "funds have been dispersed" or something.
Activity: 90
Merit: 12
July 07, 2011, 03:02:16 PM
Looking at the escrow, it seems Kevin dumped the money before MtGox even reopened. Can't tell if he took it out for himself, or sent it to the BTC Faucet...
I realize the escrow page is a little hard to read, but the money is still in the escrow account. If Gavin is reading this, it'd be awesome if he could confirm that publicly for me.

Oh. I was just wondering what the "Release request made on June 21, 2011" was about. When I was using the escrow, the "release date" was then the money was allowed to be transferred to the address listed.

I posted the link to the escrow page in public, which was really meant to only be shared with the other party in a private transaction. The moment I made the post here, someone clicked the "Request that the funds be released now" button, which is why it's saying that.
legendary
July 07, 2011, 02:59:07 PM

Activity: 90
Merit: 12
July 07, 2011, 01:06:35 AM

legendary
July 07, 2011, 01:03:04 AM
So how did this story end?

Check the Escrow, see where the money is.

legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348
Eadem mutata resurgo
July 06, 2011, 10:32:44 PM
So how did this story end?

Kevin joined a Tibetan monkery and gave away all his worldly goods, including his bitcoins ... the end.
Pages:
Jump to: