Pages:
Author

Topic: I'm Kevin, here's my side. - page 5. (Read 258509 times)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
July 06, 2011, 10:23:33 PM
So how did this story end?

Check the Escrow, see where the money is.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
July 06, 2011, 10:17:05 PM
So how did this story end?
Activity: 142
June 23, 2011, 06:03:07 AM
No matter how this particular incident ends, Mtgox is super fishy and I'm sure next time hacker will do more harm.

OtDwStEotW
Activity: 717
Merit: 501
June 22, 2011, 08:16:51 PM
The new york stock exchange had a rollback a couple years ago.   If you think it is fair that you were able to buy BTC for $1 and be allowed to keep them I think you are silly. 
Activity: 56
Merit: 1
June 22, 2011, 07:16:25 PM
If Kevin is truly the savior of mtgox, then a roll-back should still happen

Mind you, if at all, then in an inadvertent capacity. He was admittedly out to make a good deal, and the fact that he tried to transfer it out immediately only underscores his awareness that Mt. Gox would be quite opposed to that (because it would bankrupt them).

BTW, Kevin went to IRC after having failed to transfer out the whole balance. There is no reason not to assume he did that to salvage that failure. How much are you willing to bet he would have returned the balance if successful and not also 'given it to someone to hold in escrow until things are cleared up'? If things got nasty, that's a very large legal fund right there.

It would also be quite recursive if the lawyers accepted Bitcoin Smiley
Activity: 616
Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)
June 22, 2011, 03:20:31 PM
So saying "religious zealot" is redundant?
Activity: 700
Merit: 250
June 22, 2011, 08:25:37 AM
ITT:

Zealots zealoting zealotry.

The term Zealot, in Hebrew kanai (קנאי, frequently used in plural form, קנאים (kana'im)), means one who is zealous on behalf of God.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
100%
June 21, 2011, 09:56:45 PM
If you wait a while, the 643BTC you managed to withdraw are gonna be worth those $5million you thought you had in your pocket.

The true wild west solution to this would be: you get to keep that, tough luck for the rest.
However, 250k btc is just too much coin for one man alone to handle. You wouldn't have gotten far with that.

great story!
legendary
Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121
June 21, 2011, 04:28:27 PM
The best compensation would be all these threads dying in a fire, never to pop up from the primordial ooze that spawned them.
Activity: 155
June 21, 2011, 04:17:03 PM
If Kevin is truly the savior of mtgox, then a roll-back should still happen,

But Kevin should be compensated by gox for saving their ass.

He was Smiley  MtGox blamed him for the hack, and said they forwarded his details on to the FBI (not like I believe that, but that's the official statement at least).  That is fair compensation right?
Activity: 103
Merit: 10
June 21, 2011, 03:56:08 PM
If Kevin is truly the savior of mtgox, then a roll-back should still happen,

But Kevin should be compensated by gox for saving their ass.
June 21, 2011, 03:45:20 PM
Days before this crash, I forwarded to MtGox my photo ID and proof of address, then used the very same account to make this buy. I never attempted to hide who I was from him.

Since I explained this poorly before, I'm stating this again: I was requesting that my Dwolla daily limit be raised, not my bitcoin daily limit. That's why the $1000 BTC limit was still present on my account.

Kevin, I'm about 99.99% convinced you are the unfortunate victim of a con here (Which is what it amounts to when someone sells you something they didn't have to sell) and that you acted in complete good faith. You've been considerably more forthcoming than Tux has, and much calmer in your responses, as well. My faith in MtGox as an institution is severely shaken, and I won't be trusting them with my money until I have verified third party assurance that they're secure. I don't think you hacked the site, Just to be clear, the scenario above was a decidedly devil's advocate one.

That said, I won't be satisfied with either story until a third party goes through the logs and ferrets out the truth (Which I suspect will more closely match your story, but I doubt will exactly match either one). I sympathize with what must be one hell of a roller coaster of a weekend.
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
June 21, 2011, 03:42:20 PM
So yes, one account with 500k BTC can fill every buy order on the market at the time,

and still have about 260K left waiting to be sold at 0.01 each.

Heh, so could it be that Kevin actually saved Mt. Gox? If his buy order went in just as the hacker's sell was winding down and he was the first to buy in quantity, Kevin snapped up the balance and the hacker could not transfer out anything because he sold the complete balance (didn't see that coming). Unless Kevin was the hacker or associated with of course.

Still, rollback is the fair thing to do.

This is hilarious and quite possible based on my knowledge of real life....
O wonderous universe.

legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
June 21, 2011, 03:34:16 PM
Option B) somebody with 500k btc just did it for the lulz. 
no rollback needed

Which other possibilities am I missing?

Option B) they did it for the lulz, and after the rollback is done, they'll do it again for more lulz. If it happens again, THEN we'll have proof the money is not stolen, and people who bought for $10, $5, or $0.01 will be just able to buy it again. I.e. if it really wasn't theft, why object to the rollback if you'll just be able to do it again?
June 21, 2011, 03:25:25 PM

Option D) unauthorized access gained to mtgox.  btc belonging to nobody sold for 0.01.
rollback needed
Activity: 90
Merit: 12
June 21, 2011, 03:22:38 PM
It's rational if you realize you're going to be caught anyway. Did he come forward before he thought he'd be tracked down, or after? Seemed like after to me.

He came forward within minutes (lets call it an hour or two so I'm not later called a liar) of this all going down, directly to the owner of MtGox via IRC.  At that time it was attempted to keep things a bit quiet on the public side for obvious reasons.

Chat logs will confirm this, should it ever come to that.

This was also mentioned in the OP.

To play devil's advocate here for a moment, Let's say Kevin did do it. (not that I am, mind.) He could have, after realizing his mistake that he could not withdraw all the funds and that the largest amount of it would still be in his account, Thinking on his feet, went to MT and said, 'Look! I stopped the hacker from getting all the bitcoins!'.

You can all take off your tin hats now. Wink There are inconsistencies in both stories, and I suspect the truth will only out once we get that third party auditor in there.

Days before this crash, I forwarded to MtGox my photo ID and proof of address, then used the very same account to make this buy. I never attempted to hide who I was from him.

Since I explained this poorly before, I'm stating this again: I was requesting that my Dwolla daily limit be raised, not my bitcoin daily limit. That's why the $1000 BTC limit was still present on my account.
Activity: 1148
Merit: 501
June 21, 2011, 03:19:09 PM
Option A) unauthorized access gained to mtgox.  btc belonging to other people sold for 0.01.
rollback needed

Option B) somebody with 500k btc just did it for the lulz. 
no rollback needed

Option C) government intention into the btc community.
no rollback needed

Activity: 209
June 21, 2011, 03:13:02 PM
Some people fail to grasp the concept that the coins were stolen.

That's the story from MtGox.  Backed up by what evidence?

If you accept that the coins were stolen, then fine -- a roll-back would seem most appropriate (to me, at least).  But without evidence to back up that story...

As I have said multiple times -- I don't need names, IP addresses, and all such details.  I would be satisfied with proof that 'criminal proceedings' have been initiated, as has been claimed.  Again -- if for no other reason than that filing false reports is felonious pretty much world-wide.

Activity: 42
Merit: 0
June 21, 2011, 03:07:50 PM
are you crazy?  if there is one thing i have learned from this it's never trust a 3rd party 'auditor'.  actually wait just make that never trust a 3rd party

Do you actually still believe that story?  With all the evidence pointing out otherwise? Wow.

There are *very* competent security teams on this planet.  They don't advertise.  I would feel very comfortable with one of these teams flying in and taking a look ASAP.

nah i really don't know what to believe.  it's a serious point about 3rd parties though. if you are taking part in a marketplace where you only need to trust your transaction partner, things can go wrong for you as an individual but if lots of people put their trust into a single 3rd party and he screws up that can turn into a major catastrophe.

i'm thinking the Open Transaction model i've read about could be a better path to go down.
June 21, 2011, 02:48:24 PM
It's rational if you realize you're going to be caught anyway. Did he come forward before he thought he'd be tracked down, or after? Seemed like after to me.

He came forward within minutes (lets call it an hour or two so I'm not later called a liar) of this all going down, directly to the owner of MtGox via IRC.  At that time it was attempted to keep things a bit quiet on the public side for obvious reasons.

Chat logs will confirm this, should it ever come to that.

This was also mentioned in the OP.

To play devil's advocate here for a moment, Let's say Kevin did do it. (not that I am, mind.) He could have, after realizing his mistake that he could not withdraw all the funds and that the largest amount of it would still be in his account, Thinking on his feet, went to MT and said, 'Look! I stopped the hacker from getting all the bitcoins!'.

You can all take off your tin hats now. Wink There are inconsistencies in both stories, and I suspect the truth will only out once we get that third party auditor in there.
Pages:
Jump to: