Pages:
Author

Topic: Instawallet/Bitcoin-Central Security Breach - page 8. (Read 85276 times)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0
This is a really fucked up situation, especially for the ones that were actually using instawallet.org
However, Paymium says you can claim your BTC back.
We don't know what exactly caused this 'hack', we can only speculate.
Therefore, I think we can't blame Paymium for what happened, at least not yet.

Come on guys, try to stay positive.
After all, it's just money.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2zhqdd0.jpg
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
Just got to page 7, and now have shit to do after I take a shit (seriously). I is not a happy camper now.

Have Chainsaw - Will Travel
Activity: 952
Merit: 1009
c) people take stupid risks even though they know better.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
this doesn't sound good at all.

Literally shitting myself

You ain't the only one! I didn't even know this was going on. I visited the site yesterday and saw it was down, but paid it no mind thinking it will be back up soon. I was in the process of storing my coins elsewhere, but didn't think I had to do it anytime soon since being assured by many on this forum that all is well.

I've even gotten others to use InstaWallet recently, sending them coins to show how easy it is.

My stomach is totally in knots right now, and I've only begun to read this thread.

Madness!!!

~Bruno K~
Wait, YOU were storing your BTC on instawallet??
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
this doesn't sound good at all.

Literally shitting myself

You ain't the only one! I didn't even know this was going on. I visited the site yesterday and saw it was down, but paid it no mind thinking it will be back up soon. I was in the process of storing my coins elsewhere, but didn't think I had to do it anytime soon since being assured by many on this forum that all is well.

I've even gotten others to use InstaWallet recently, sending them coins to show how easy it is.

My stomach is totally in knots right now, and I've only begun to read this thread.

Madness!!!

~Bruno K~

But it's unbelievable. Never trust third party wallets with more than pocket is money is so clear everywhere. It's so up in the wiki that you learn this in the first hour reading about bitcoin.

2 things at work here:

a) some people are dumb

b) bitcoin's false reputation as "easy money" attracts a disproportionaly large share of a)
Same thing with instawallet, I'm those who manage those serve are doing something to fix those!

Instawallet? Instawallet is dead, kaput, it has served it's last bit(coin).
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018
It seems every generation of bitcoiners just has to learn hard lessons on their own. FFS if experienced bitcoiners like so not modest myself who warned other about exactly this shit long before mybitcoin fiasco tells you TRUST NO ONE. Pay fucking attention next time.

It never works Vlad, they never listen.

But it's unbelievable. Never trust third party wallets with more than pocket is money is so clear everywhere. It's so up in the wiki that you learn this in the first hour reading about bitcoin.

Activity: 384
Merit: 250
Same thing with instawallet, I'm sure those who manage those serve are doing something to fix those!

Update for Bitcoin-Central and Paytunia (only showing on paytunia.com, seems they are a bit confused with the many URLs they have):

Oddly enough, Bitcoin-Central is down at the moment. Not showing anything.
I guess you are not using firefox.

The problem with bitcoin-central and paytunia is this:

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to bitcoin-central.net.

SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length.

(Error code: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long)

It seems every generation of bitcoiners just has to learn hard lessons on their own. FFS if experienced bitcoiners like so not modest myself who warned other about exactly this shit long before mybitcoin fiasco tells you TRUST NO ONE. Pay fucking attention next time.

It never works Vlad, they never listen.
Activity: 333
Merit: 252
Our database was fraudulently accessed,

Actually this doesn't even say that some coins were stolen.
This doesn't look good.
Update for Bitcoin-Central and Paytunia (only showing on paytunia.com, seems they are a bit confused with the many URLs they have):

I guess you are not using firefox.

The problem with bitcoin-central and paytunia is this:

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to bitcoin-central.net.

SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length.

(Error code: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long)

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 6249
Decentralization Maximalist

[Apr-03 7:00PM CET]

We are still working on bringing the service back up: we expect to resume operations within the next 48 hours.

A lot of people have asked about the state of orders currently pending. Due to the recent and important price fluctuations we will cancel some outstanding orders before reopening. For example if the average price stays above 100 EUR/BTC we will cancel all asks below 110 EUR/BTC. No trades will be reversed.

We also don't want to take anyone by surprise and as such will give a 24h notice before trades start to get executed again.

During these 24 hours you will be able to place and cancel orders. When the trading engine gets restarted they will be executed in the order they were placed.

Your account balances (EUR, USD, GBP and BTC) were not affected by the service interruption.

The deposits received while the service was interrupted will be added to your balance during the 24h notice time.

----

Doesn't look that bad for this services, defitively the problem was with Instawallet. Should we split the threads because there are different problems?
Good news, looks like we can claim our funds back... looks like the process is gonna take 90 days though, no other option than to hold  Cool

INSTAWALLET SERVICE NOTICE

The Instawallet service is suspended indefinitely until we are able to develop an alternative architecture.

Our database was fraudulently accessed, due to the very nature of Instawallet it is impossible to reopen the service as-is.

In the next few days we are going to open the claim process for Instawallet balance holders to claim the funds they had stored before the service interruption.

Important information on claims submission:

For the first 90 days we will accept claims for individual Instawallets. Your wallet's URL and key will be used to pre-populate a form to file the claim.
After 90 days, if no other claim has been received for the same url, your Instawallet balance under 50 BTC will be refunded. If several claims have been filed for the same url, we will process those claims on a case by case basis, under the presumption that the claim we received first belongs to the legitimate balance holder.
Claims for wallets that hold a balance greater than 50 BTC will be processed on a case by case and best efforts basis.
To be honest, I don't feel good at all, they didn't say will refund 50BTC or larger fully, (which means they lose money, truely hacked). Secondly, due to the nature of Instawallet, apparently the hacker could claim the money as well if they got access to the database of the URL. Thirdly,that is 90 Days and you know those "delay" tatics a lot of scammers use, first 90 days, then another 90 days, then partial refund, then....
Not saying they are, but this is not good news at all.

Yeah I get what your saying, I think if your funds went to cold storage though you must be safe? Maybe not good news, but at least it's something... looks alot brighter than it did yesterday anyway
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018
Hope you learnt an important lesson: NEVER TRUST ONLINE WALLETS WITH MORE THAN POCKET MONEY.

And remember that what's pocket money today, can be retirement money tomorrow Wink
Activity: 85
My lord. I was very close to being effected by this. Thankfully my fund went out prior to the issue.
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
Well an update at last

Here is my issue

Lets assume the worst that its an inside job. Maybe the team do not have access to the individual urls.

By making us give them to them we are effectively handing over our bitcoins.

By making it a first come first serves it makes you want to give it to them straight away. Just saying.

What do you think?
You have bigger than 50? Otherwise, I think you should be able to get back fully, given their current tone.
Activity: 68

Lets assume the worst that its an inside job. Maybe the team do not have access to the individual urls.
By making us give them to them we are effectively handing over our bitcoins.

They obviously have access to the individual urls - how else could they serve you a web page on those? By sending your bitcoins to them in the first place you handed them over. They have the private keys. Well, they did at least.

Still no update with regards to Bitcoin Central though. That's what I'm really worried about. That volume was twice as large as well.
Pages:
Jump to: