Pages:
Author

Topic: Intellectual Property - In All Fairness! - page 60. (Read 105875 times)

legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
September 26, 2011, 02:12:25 PM
Omg! Are you saying that what's right is a majority rules popularity contest?!?!

Yes, I am saying that in liberland, what's right is a satisfying a majority of customers to get their dollars contest.
Activity: 154
Merit: 103
September 26, 2011, 02:11:33 PM
Distributed doesn't mean multiple conflicting databases. There's only one database, it's simply distributed. That's in no way like having limitless land registries.
Activity: 294
Merit: 252
September 26, 2011, 02:07:22 PM
No. It provides a central database and only ONE land registry so there are no conflicts and fraudulent claims.

Did you forget where you're posting? Bitcoin is a distributed transaction database/notary.

LOL

It doesn't matter, what matters is that the man with the biggest gun WILL make the rules.

Yes, in the end, might makes rules, but that doesn't mean it's right. Nor does it mean that people will follow the rules.

Against my better judgement, I let you pull me into this meaningless debate. If you want to interpret my refusal to continue participation as a victory for you, feel free enjoy it. Otherwise, I'll just leave you all with this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDVNL0VyaEI
September 26, 2011, 02:06:02 PM
Maybe I don't believe in private land ownership. You can't force me to acknowledge it, everything had to be voluntary.

This just goes back again to it being your choice to ignore others property, and their choice to defend it, with force if they must. Something that already exists in current system of government. Not sure why you would even consider this...

Sorry, but my private notary firm shows the land to be mine. My security force backs me up on it.

Then this is a matter between your notaries and security forces. One of those notaries screwed up, and should not be done business with any more. Likely, whoever sold you that land either scammed you or was negligent in keeping track of their land. The company you hired to check the correct ownership of the land you were purchasing likely screwed up as well. You can take them all to court, and at least one of them has insurance to cover such mistakes. This is alreadOooy how these things are handled in current governments. The only part the government really plays in land ownership transfer is providing a metal filing cabinet to store documents in.

No. It provides a central database and only ONE land registry so there are no conflicts and fraudulent claims.
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001
September 26, 2011, 02:04:14 PM
Maybe I don't believe in private land ownership. You can't force me to acknowledge it, everything had to be voluntary.

This just goes back again to it being your choice to ignore others property, and their choice to defend it, with force if they must. Something that already exists in current system of government. Not sure why you would even consider this...

Sorry, but my private notary firm shows the land to be mine. My security force backs me up on it.

Then this is a matter between your notaries and security forces. One of those notaries screwed up, and should not be done business with any more. Likely, whoever sold you that land either scammed you or was negligent in keeping track of their land. The company you hired to check the correct ownership of the land you were purchasing likely screwed up as well. You can take them all to court, and at least one of them has insurance to cover such mistakes. This is already how these things are handled in current governments. The only part the government really plays in land ownership transfer is providing a metal filing cabinet to store documents in.

Again you are avoiding the fact that in your system there is no enforcement and everyone has nukes.  The "security forces" will be in fallout shelters at the first sign of trouble or else vaporised.

legendary
September 26, 2011, 02:02:05 PM

Then this is a matter between your notaries and security forces. One of those notaries screwed up, and should not be done business with any more. Likely, whoever sold you that land either scammed you or was negligent in keeping track of their land. The company you hired to check the correct ownership of the land you were purchasing likely screwed up as well. You can take them all to court, and at least one of them has insurance to cover such mistakes. This is already how these things are handled in current governments. The only part the government really plays in land ownership transfer is providing a metal filing cabinet to store documents in.
September 26, 2011, 02:00:50 PM

Because then our interactions are not voluntary. The man with the biggest gun will make the rules.

Where does that man get the funds to buy a bigger gun?

It doesn't matter, what matters is that the man with the biggest gun WILL make the rules.
legendary
September 26, 2011, 01:57:12 PM

Because then our interactions are not voluntary. The man with the biggest gun will make the rules.

Where does that man get the funds to buy a bigger gun?
Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
September 26, 2011, 01:57:01 PM
I'm assuming that perhaps you paid for the land and have some type of deed. Who acknowledges the deed's legitimacy?

A private notary, who relies upon his reputation in order to get business.

Are you implying that a state is necessary in order to validate contracts?

Why must I acknowledge the validity of this private notary?

Because private courts and private security forces with guns likely will.

What gives them the right to harass me, threaten me, kidnap me, or kill me?

The fact that the rest of society will consider you a douche for willfully infringing on someone else's property, and will support the desicions of that court and security company.

Why? We all use different courts. The whole notion of a court means that they deal with cases in which one party loses and one wins. Seems like for every court out there, half the people will not be in support of that court.
September 26, 2011, 01:56:37 PM
I'm assuming that perhaps you paid for the land and have some type of deed. Who acknowledges the deed's legitimacy?

Because private courts and private security forces with guns likely will.A

The fact that the rest of society will consider you a douche for willfully infringing on someone else's property, and will support the desicions of that court and security company.

Omg! Are you saying that what's right is a majority rules popularity contest?!?!
legendary
September 26, 2011, 01:55:17 PM

Again, how?  He will have nukes.  If someone disagrees with him about something, his best move is to nuke them before they realise he is angry.
legendary
September 26, 2011, 01:54:57 PM

September 26, 2011, 01:54:49 PM

September 26, 2011, 01:54:18 PM

legendary
September 26, 2011, 01:53:02 PM

September 26, 2011, 01:51:51 PM

Because private courts and private security forces with guns likely will. You guys keep assuming that everything in liberland will be totally individualized, with everyone being in it only for themselves. That's not how business works, and not how liberland likely would, either.

Omg! Are you saying might makes right!?!
legendary
September 26, 2011, 01:51:46 PM

How?  In your society, he will have nuclear weapons.  No private court or private security force is going to be able to do a damn thing.  They will be just praying he doesn't make a pre-emptive strike and kill them as a precaution.
September 26, 2011, 01:51:33 PM

September 26, 2011, 01:50:40 PM
Why would you be near that parcel of land and need to cross it in the first place?

What business is it of yours? Maybe I like hiking. Maybe the roads in the area suck, because some private business decided it wasn't cost effective to build a road. Maybe I'm engaging in scientific study.

So, are you saying that under current government system you can hike or do scientific studies on private fenced in land without asking owner's permission first?

No, because in our current system, the individual owns the property. But in liberland, it's not clear to me that you actually own the land in question.

Do you honestly check the deed of ownership on file for every piece of property you come across when you hike? Or do you assume that property without obvious ownership is government/publically owned? Would you simply not assume that all property was privately owned in liberland? And why do you assume that all private property owners would object to strangers hiking on their unused land?

legendary
September 26, 2011, 01:49:23 PM

Because private courts and private security forces with guns likely will. You guys keep assuming that everything in liberland will be totally individualized, with everyone being in it only for themselves. That's not how business works, and not how liberland likely would, either.
Pages:
Jump to: