Pages:
Author

Topic: Intellectual Property - In All Fairness! - page 58. (Read 105875 times)

Activity: 154
Merit: 103
September 26, 2011, 03:42:36 PM
Everything is voluntary, therefore laws are useless. They may exist, but no one can be forced to follow then or be punished for not following them, therefore they are useless and effectively do not exist.

If you are found guilty of stealing my property and refuse to turn it over, you will be forced to do so. It's a shame you don't even understand the system you're criticizing. You'll never convince any libertarians that they are wrong until you can at least make a cogent argument.

See above. Your system is obviously not as advertised.
Activity: 504
Merit: 252
Elder Crypto God
September 26, 2011, 03:40:54 PM
Everything is voluntary, therefore laws are useless. They may exist, but no one can be forced to follow then or be punished for not following them, therefore they are useless and effectively do not exist.

If you are found guilty of stealing my property and refuse to turn it over, you will be forced to do so. It's a shame you don't even understand the system you're criticizing. You'll never convince any libertarians that they are wrong until you can at least make a cogent argument.
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
September 26, 2011, 03:31:35 PM

I think I finally see what the problem is. Everything is voluntary, but more importantly, everyone will do everything in their own self interest. That second part you're all ignoring, and is the part that will keep a business from screwing their customers, a security company from extorting their clients to the point where they become unproductive, a nuke company from selling products that destroy the people paying for those nukes, private courts from screwing customers and making decisions majority will consider unjust, etc. Everyone has their own version of property and contract law only to the point that they have their opinions on those laws respected by others. If everyone agrees it is just, it's a law until they don't. If everyone agrees to spend their money at a place of business, if is in business until they don't. If a business agrees to follow the contracts and rules established by other businesses in that market, it will continue to be able to do business with the customers and suppliers in that market until it stops. There is no law that says you must buy your stuff from Wal-Mart or Target. No law that says Ford must buy their tires from Firestone. No law that you must use arbitrage if you buy your cell phone service from AT&T. But if you or they do, they must agree to the contracts they have signed, with pens and dollars, or be thrown out, lose parts suppliers, or lose their service.
The fundamental part of libertarian greed and self-serving, as I understand it, is doing as much as you can to get as many others as possible to give as much as they can to you. If you want to come up with examples of how THAT will be a problem, feel free to. Likely I may join you. But as mentioned too many times, other people's money and production capacity is what keeps all the strawmen mentioned so far in check.
September 26, 2011, 03:25:42 PM
So please, explain how you defend yourself against a lunatic with a nuke?

If he intends to keep it as a collector item, use it for industreal safe uses, or otherwise is not using it to threaten or harm people, I don't do anything.
If he is threatening to harm people, I would hope that he values his own life. If he does, I pay to send a black ops team to relieve him of his nuke and/or his life. If he doesn't value his life, I send that team to relieve the nuke manufacturer of theirs.

Now, what answer were YOU expecting, or rather what would YOU do in that situation? (Like, if you lived near the border in India, and knew that Pakistan sold a nuke to your neighbor)

Hahahaha! Omg this shit is rich!

And what do you do if he doesn't threaten anyone, he just detonates it with no warning. Not many terrorist organizations give people a heads up before blowing shit up.
legendary
September 26, 2011, 03:23:08 PM

If he intends to keep it as a collector item, use it for industreal safe uses, or otherwise is not using it to threaten or harm people, I don't do anything.
If he is threatening to harm people, I would hope that he values his own life. If he does, I pay to send a black ops team to relieve him of his nuke and/or his life. If he doesn't value his life, I send that team to relieve the nuke manufacturer of theirs.

Now, what answer were YOU expecting, or rather what would YOU do in that situation? (Like, if you lived near the border in India, and knew that Pakistan sold a nuke to your neighbor)
September 26, 2011, 03:19:42 PM
Why? We all use different courts. The whole notion of a court means that they deal with cases in which one party loses and one wins. Seems like for every court out there, half the people will not be in support of that court.

Do half the people disagree with a government court where you live???  Huh

Yes, but they are forced to follow the decisions and can't just run off to a competing court for a favorable decision, so it's not an issue.

You said half the people disagree with a court, not a court's decision. Why do they still use that court if half the people think it's unfair? Or did you really mean half the people, after choosing a court they want, just disagree with the decisions?

Because they don't get to choose courts that agree with them. They don't get to go somewhere else if they don't like the decision. They can't just ignore the decisionif they don't like it.

They can do all of that and more in lib tard land.

You people are making up a world that does not exist. Companies and individuals have the right to chose what court to take their issues to. They must agree to abide by the decision of the court, but they have a choice is picking the court they believe will be the most fair. Courts also have an incentive to be most fair, otherwise they lose their jobs. If you pick a court that you both agreed was fair, it rules against you, and you don't agree with the decision, that's your problem, and no one in liberland or current government would support you, because you were the one who picked the court. If you do decide to go against it's ruling, no one will object to someone else enforcing it by force, since, again, in both systems the outcome will be seen as just.

Then your system is not voluntary as claimed. Your system is not coercion free as claimed. The non aggression principle is just smoke blown up peoples asses. Your system us as tyrannical and coercive as the state you claim to hate.
legendary
September 26, 2011, 03:16:03 PM
Why? We all use different courts. The whole notion of a court means that they deal with cases in which one party loses and one wins. Seems like for every court out there, half the people will not be in support of that court.

A lot do - they would prefer sharia courts.  Particularly when there is a property dispute between a man and a woman, you'd see Sharia courts getting a lot of business if it were a free for all.

Btw, Sharia courts are technically private arbitration, and are already legal, even in US. If a woman doesn't want to use one, she just has to not agree to that specific arbitration (and if she is forced to, that's a different matter entirely).
legendary
September 26, 2011, 03:13:29 PM

Yes, but they are forced to follow the decisions and can't just run off to a competing court for a favorable decision, so it's not an issue.

You said half the people disagree with a court, not a court's decision. Why do they still use that court if half the people think it's unfair? Or did you really mean half the people, after choosing a court they want, just disagree with the decisions?

Because they don't get to choose courts that agree with them. They don't get to go somewhere else if they don't like the decision. They can't just ignore the decisionif they don't like it.

They can do all of that and more in lib tard land.

You people are making up a world that does not exist. Companies and individuals have the right to chose what court to take their issues to. They must agree to abide by the decision of the court, but they have a choice is picking the court they believe will be the most fair. Courts also have an incentive to be most fair, otherwise they lose their jobs. If you pick a court that you both agreed was fair, it rules against you, and you don't agree with the decision, that's your problem, and no one in liberland or current government would support you, because you were the one who picked the court. If you do decide to go against it's ruling, no one will object to someone else enforcing it by force, since, again, in both systems the outcome will be seen as just.
legendary
September 26, 2011, 03:07:12 PM
Question. Would most people who currently pay taxes for government police, if they no longer had to pay taxes, would be able to afford to pay that exact same amount of money for private police?

I'll leave you to discover the imbalance of your solution. I'll give you some hints: competition implies multiple services. How many police can be brought to bear on a particular problem when collecting revenue from customers?

Competition implies multiple services AND threat of substitutes. People often forget the second one. Just as overly expensive coke can be substituted with milk or orange June, or power company monopolies can be substituted with windmills and solar panels, private security forces can be substituted by apparently easily obtainable nukes.
September 26, 2011, 03:06:58 PM
Money will buy justice and protection. The people with the most money will be best protected, do they'll make all the rules.

I guess so. Would they be printing their money, or getting it from selling crap and services to poor unprotected people?

Maybe they were born into it. It's irrelevant how they got it.
legendary
September 26, 2011, 03:03:28 PM
Question. Would most people who currently pay taxes for government police, if they no longer had to pay taxes, would be able to afford to pay that exact same amount of money for private police?

I'll leave you to discover the imbalance of your solution. I'll give you some hints: competition implies multiple services.

Multiple services, and threat of substitutes. Just as power company monopoly can be subverted by windmills and solar panels, security company services can be subverted by apparently easily available nukes.
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001
September 26, 2011, 03:02:07 PM
No. It provides a central database and only ONE land registry so there are no conflicts and fraudulent claims.

If what you say was true, title research companies and title insurance would not exist. Where are those few hundred $$$ that I pay every time I buy or refinance a house going to?

That is to address fraud, missing documents, disputes, etc. within the context of law. Your system has no laws, thus there is no basis to anyone's claim.

Who said liberland has no laws? Contract law exist outside of government, and is based on prior decisions, which are fundamentally based on private property rights. Why would these contract laws not exist in liberland, if everyone thought it was a good idea to keep them going for the sake of being able to keep business going?
As contract law is based on property and personal rights, I assume it is not against libertarian philosophy? Maybe a libertarian can confirm this?

In a libertarian world, everyone has their own concept of property and personal rights.  I've been through this with b2c, fred and a few others.  

Contract law cannot exist outside of government as otherwise you would have competing arbitration systems, some based on christian law, some on sharia law, some on common law and so on.  Each has its own way of interpreting contracts and they come to different conclusions.  Without a state, you can't have a single law.

Besides, people will have nukes so they are under no obligation to respect any law.  Some simply won't.
legendary
September 26, 2011, 03:00:52 PM
Money will buy justice and protection. The people with the most money will be best protected, do they'll make all the rules.

I guess so. Would they be printing their money, or getting it from selling crap and services to poor unprotected people?
September 26, 2011, 03:00:11 PM
No. It provides a central database and only ONE land registry so there are no conflicts and fraudulent claims.

If what you say was true, title research companies and title insurance would not exist. Where are those few hundred $$$ that I pay every time I buy or refinance a house going to?

That is to address fraud, missing documents, disputes, etc. within the context of law. Your system has no laws, thus there is no basis to anyone's claim.

Who said liberland has no laws? Contract law exist outside of government, and is based on prior decisions, which are fundamentally based on private property rights. Why would these contract laws not exist in liberland, if everyone thought it was a good idea to keep them going for the sake of being able to keep business going?
As contract law is based on property and personal rights, I assume it is not against libertarian philosophy? Maybe a libertarian can confirm this?

legendary
September 26, 2011, 02:58:26 PM
Maybe I don't believe in private land ownership. You can't force me to acknowledge it, everything had to be voluntary.

This just goes back again to it being your choice to ignore others property, and their choice to defend it, with force if they must. Something that already exists in current system of government. Not sure why you would even consider this...

Again, how?  He will have nukes.  If someone disagrees with him about something, his best move is to nuke them before they realise he is angry.

What company in their right mind would sell him, just a random stranger, nukes, at the expense of liability to millions of people, or risk of having their own facilities blown up? And why would he spend hundrens of millions on a nuke for the purpose of just hiking wherever he wants? Why not just spend those millions to buy the land to hike on outright?

Way to avoid the question.  

Your view is that he is entitled to the nuke.  Regardless of how he got it, he now has it and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it.  So now you have 1 guy that an never have any rule enforced against him.  Everyone else will want a nukes as well just to avoid being forced to pay for "protection" by the nuke owner.  Since uranium is easily mined and the design for nukes is already public, they will get them.

This is your ideal world - the free market will meet that demand Smiley

September 26, 2011, 02:58:06 PM
No, you haven't. You said majority rules makes right, what it's freely chosen makes right. Liber tard ism has NEVER been chosen by any society ever,despite the fact that it is an option. So obviously it's not a better option, based on your own reasoning. If that isn't correct, give a detailed explanation why.
legendary
September 26, 2011, 02:57:56 PM

legendary
September 26, 2011, 02:52:09 PM
You don't think it matters, but guns and amo don't pop out of thin air. The man with the bigger gun must have done something significant to get the money to pay for that big gun. That man now likely has a lot of interest in protecting his huge amount of wealth, too. Likely, he also has an interest in continuing to do what he did to keep that wealth coming in, right?

You mean like a tyrant? Or a cartel?

Perhaps, though even tyrants eventually realise that they will get way more money and support by doing the things their oppressed need. And those oppressed usually don't like to stay oppressed for long (see European monarchy, every dictator in history, USA, and current Middle East). Besides, I think the libertarians are arguing that governments have already become tyrants, and life under liberland tyrants won't be much worse.

Quoting myself until I get a response.

Omg! Are you saying that what's right is a majority rules popularity contest?!?!

Yes, I am saying that in liberland, what's right is a satisfying a majority of customers to get their dollars contest.

But liber land hadn't won nearly enough proverbial dollars to actually get implemented. So obviously it's not better than the current system.

But flying cars have not won enough proverbial dollars to actually get implemented. So obviously they are not better than the current cars.

But mesh networking hadn't won nearly enough proverbial dollars to actually get implemented. So obviously distributed mesh networking is not better than the current system.

But distributed peer-to-peer unregulated currency hadn't won enough proverbial dollars to actually get implemented. So obviously it's not better than the current system.

Have I answered your question?
legendary
September 26, 2011, 02:51:51 PM

You're forgetting that there are no laws in your liberland, and everyone has their own idea what the laws should be, and they all use courts which favor their view, and in general, there's lots of courts.

Again, no different than current international system of law. During disputes, lawyers for both parties come to an agreement on what court or arbitrage system they are willing to settle disputes in, and agree to follow the final court decision beforehand, or risk losing business.
You guys are arguing about how things are stupid and will never work in the real world, when the things you are arguing against are already how things are in a real world.

That works so well for the Palestinians and for Iraqis doesn't it.
legendary
September 26, 2011, 02:50:57 PM

A lot do - they would prefer sharia courts.  Particularly when there is a property dispute between a man and a woman, you'd see Sharia courts getting a lot of business if it were a free for all.
Pages:
Jump to: