Pages:
Author

Topic: Intellectual Property - In All Fairness! - page 57. (Read 105875 times)

Activity: 440
Merit: 250
September 26, 2011, 05:56:34 PM
Um only if it accepts the NAP.  The NAP is your idea.  Don't try forcing it on anyone else.

If you don't accept the non-aggression principle then I'm free to use aggression on you.

And there it is, folks.  The ultimate double standard.

Reminds me of a couple of recent wars supposedly aimed at liberating oppressed peoples - bringing them 'democracy' on the point of a gun, and stuffing it down their throats.  And that's just in recent times.
Activity: 154
Merit: 103
September 26, 2011, 05:48:53 PM
Um only if it accepts the NAP.  The NAP is your idea.  Don't try forcing it on anyone else.

If you don't accept the non-aggression principle then I'm free to use aggression on you.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

And if you don't accept the rules, regulations, and taxation of current society, the state is free to use aggression on you too!  But yet you call that extortion!  hahahahahah

Double standards FTMFW.
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001
September 26, 2011, 05:34:44 PM
Explain how your NAP protects people from bad guys with nukes.

I've explained it once before. It's pretty simple. Every landowner in an entire geographical area forms an organization. They all sign a contract that delegates all regulation of nuclear weapons on their respective private properties to said organization. Anyone making, or transporting nuclear weapons in those areas is subject to those voluntary regulations. In other words, the same laws that exist now will exist under libertarianism, the only difference is that people will voluntarily agree to them.

Voluntary.  And if someone disagrees, or has stolen his Dad's nuke or simply has changed his mind, how do you stop them?  For example, if Jared Laughner had a nuke in his car instead of a gun, how would you protect the people in the within 25 miles of his car?
Activity: 504
Merit: 252
Elder Crypto God
September 26, 2011, 05:28:28 PM
Explain how your NAP protects people from bad guys with nukes.

I've explained it once before. It's pretty simple. Every landowner in an entire geographical area forms an organization. They all sign a contract that delegates all regulation of nuclear weapons on their respective private properties to said organization. Anyone making, or transporting nuclear weapons in those areas is subject to those voluntary regulations. In other words, the same laws that exist now will exist under libertarianism, the only difference is that people will voluntarily agree to them.
legendary
September 26, 2011, 05:22:38 PM

I have a nuke.  Unless you want to die, you will leave the country.  Once I find your address, I'll have a nuke in a truck parked a mile from your house and you'll be dead in less than 10 seconds.

I know your estate will sue me but I can nuke them too.  Provided I keep my address secret, I win.

Cool story, bro. Got anything else aside from rambling fantasies?

There must be some benefit - or why are you advocating it?

Justice.

I don't accept your idea of justice.  Nor will people getting nuked or smallpox as a result of your generous distribution of access to nukes and the smallpox virus.  

I think you meant "Justice for you and the sword of death for everyone else - assuming you don't get nuked as well."

That's not a benefit.

Everyone gets the same justice as me.

"Cool story, bro. Got anything else aside from rambling fantasies?"

You are fantasising about being able to use aggression on someone who has a nuke.  It won't happen.  The guy with a nuke who is willing to strike first will win every time.  so there is no need for courts or private police.  Get a nuke and you win.  

Now please stop avoiding the logic of your position.  Explain how your NAP protects people from bad guys with nukes.  Or else admit what you mean is that there is going to be no justice for anyone.

Elder Crypto God
September 26, 2011, 05:18:39 PM
Um only if it accepts the NAP.  The NAP is your idea.  Don't try forcing it on anyone else.

I have a nuke.  Unless you want to die, you will leave the country.  Once I find your address, I'll have a nuke in a truck parked a mile from your house and you'll be dead in less than 10 seconds.

I know your estate will sue me but I can nuke them too.  Provided I keep my address secret, I win.

Cool story, bro. Got anything else aside from rambling fantasies?

Justice.

I don't accept your idea of justice.  Nor will people getting nuked or smallpox as a result of your generous distribution of access to nukes and the smallpox virus. 

I think you meant "Justice for you and the sword of death for everyone else - assuming you don't get nuked as well."

That's not a benefit.

Everyone gets the same justice as me.
legendary
September 26, 2011, 05:16:18 PM

Justice.

I don't accept your idea of justice.  Nor will people getting nuked or smallpox as a result of your generous distribution of access to nukes and the smallpox virus. 

That's not a benefit.
legendary
September 26, 2011, 05:13:21 PM

I have a nuke.  Unless you want to die, you will leave the country.  Once I find your address, I'll have a nuke in a truck parked a mile from your house and you'll be dead in less than 10 seconds.

I know your estate will sue me but I can nuke them too.  Provided I keep my address secret, I win.
Elder Crypto God
September 26, 2011, 05:12:07 PM

Justice.
legendary
September 26, 2011, 05:10:21 PM

Then, if i am still alive, I go after whoever sold him that nuke, and/or whoever helped him to raise the money to buy it. Why, what would your government do if a nuke was detonated, if its regulations that failed to stop fertilizer bombs and terrorism fail to prevent a nuke too?

What a stupid argument.  Millions die and you say you will sue someone?

BTW, my government would not allow a terrorist access to nukes.  Unlike you.  

Please, tell me that you have something to offer to balance the lives of the millions that die as a result of your deciding to give everyone nukes.  There must be some benefit - or why are you advocating it?

Elder Crypto God
September 26, 2011, 05:09:22 PM

legendary
September 26, 2011, 05:05:45 PM

Any state, individual, or collective, is corrupt if it violates the NAP. Pretty obvious. No need to doll it all up with fancy words like Nation, Society, State, Government, Modernity, Advanced, or Leadership etc.

legendary
September 26, 2011, 05:04:44 PM
Everything is voluntary, therefore laws are useless. They may exist, but no one can be forced to follow then or be punished for not following them, therefore they are useless and effectively do not exist.

If you are found guilty of stealing my property and refuse to turn it over, you will be forced to do so. It's a shame you don't even understand the system you're criticizing. You'll never convince any libertarians that they are wrong until you can at least make a cogent argument.

If I have my own court, It won't find me guilty.  For example, I you are a woman and I choose a Sharia court, I get a better divorce deal that you. 

And even if I refuse to attend any court, if I have a nuke, how will you force me to turn over any property?
Activity: 420
September 26, 2011, 04:55:44 PM
I'll be the first to admit it, LiberLand does require everyone to take more responsibility for themselves.
Ok, great - you've agreed with my post from a while ago!  Here it is again:
... IF EVERY SINGLE PERSON THE WHOLE WORLD WIDE suddenly changed their nature and started behaving honestly, it might work.  ...
Now, that didn't take too long -- only 26 pages!  Maybe in another 26 you'll admit that MightMakesWinnerMakesRight is actually an unavoidable consequence of resource scarcity.  Now can you give us a reason why would people become responsible citizens in LiberLand when they don't do it *even* under threat of being forcefully imprisoned?

Those two quotes don't even share any synonyms, much less the same words, how could they possibly have the same meaning? They're not even a close substitute for what I said, fail. It's the best interest of everybody everywhere to act in a non-violent, respectful way. War, generally speaking, is too expensive to maintain. One way out is to play nicely. Most forceful means are a disincentive to improve.

By their nature, humans do not act humanely...To answer your question: I allow politicians control over me, because I genuinely think that the alternative would be worse for everyone, me included...

If I didn't think any human acted humanely, there would be no point to any type of ideology, including yours. I daresay, yours would be the first to fail, the quickest. Having someone else control you makes you a minion and a sucker. Keep drinking the Koolaid. Oh, and don't check for poison, there isn't any.

I agree with this.  Modern states are corrupt, it has to do with equality and megacorporations...

Any state, individual, or collective, is corrupt if it violates the NAP. Pretty obvious. No need to doll it all up with fancy words like Nation, Society, State, Government, Modernity, Advanced, or Leadership etc.
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
September 26, 2011, 04:08:28 PM
Money will buy justice and protection. The people with the most money will be best protected, do they'll make all the rules.

I guess so. Would they be printing their money, or getting it from selling crap and services to poor unprotected people?

Maybe they were born into it. It's irrelevant how they got it.

FYI, my greay-great-great-great-great-grandfather, a very wealthy count, was born into it. He blew it all on women and gambling (and in a way, saved my family by making it a much smaller target many years later when communists took over Russia). Many athletes suddenly end up with millions,as do lottery winners. They almost all end up broke. Point is, wealth isn't just something fixed, it's something that must be worked on and maintained. Granted, sometimes the methods to maintain it suck *coughMurdochcoughKochBrotherscough*, but regardless, someone is still paying something to someone to keep it going.

All I need is enough to buy a nuke and then I'm set for life.

Yep. There's an old Soviet joke:
"I wish I had enough money to buy the entire Volga river, with all the ships on it."
"Why the hell do you want a river with all those ships?"
"I don't. I just wish I had that much money."

Likely if you managed to get the few hundred mil required to buy a nuke, you'd have way better uses to put it to.
Activity: 440
September 26, 2011, 04:03:10 PM
I'll be the first to admit it, LiberLand does require everyone to take more responsibility for themselves.
Ok, great - you've agreed with my post from a while ago!  Here it is again:
... IF EVERY SINGLE PERSON THE WHOLE WORLD WIDE suddenly changed their nature and started behaving honestly, it might work.  ...
Now, that didn't take too long -- only 26 pages!  Maybe in another 26 you'll admit that MightMakesWinnerMakesRight is actually an unavoidable consequence of resource scarcity.  Now can you give us a reason why would people become responsible citizens in LiberLand when they don't do it *even* under threat of being forcefully imprisoned?  If all you want is a hypothetical discussion of what libertarianism would be like and how nice it would be under certain, perhaps improbable, circumstances, that's fine.  But you seem to believe, in this thread, that you consider the above condition to be a likely possibility.  If so, can you justify yourself?  If not, would you clarify exactly what your argument is please?

If you believe humans do not act humanely, by what logic do you allow the majority to elect a minority to have even greater power over all than a normal individual!?
By their nature, humans do not act humanely.  Reduced to the minimum, man organises into small social groups of maybe a few hundred individuals, each group with a single authoritative leader, and competes with other groups for resources.  The 'invention' of society, facilitated by the discovery of agriculture, changed all that -- and man changed from a nomadic to a social lifestyle.  As social groups grew, thanks to the success of agriculture, members had to learn to cooperate, even where they were not dependent on one another.  There had to be a 'social norm'.  To answer your question: I allow politicians control over me, because I genuinely think that the alternative would be worse for everyone, me included.  And one person having more power than others is nothing new.  It's been like that since time immemorial.  But, ideally, the ruling class should be checked and controlled by the population and, crucially, an independent judiciary.  And also because election time always comes around.  Sadly in our corrupted world, the politicians are literally getting away with murder.

I think the blatantly obvious reason (though maybe not to everyone) is that the state answers to whichever political party is in charge, or worse, whichever politician happens to be corrupt and in the pocket of a megacorporation
I agree with this.  Modern states are corrupt, it has to do with equality and megacorporations.  This is one of the reasons I would not like libertarianism - it would ultimately lead to MightMakesWinner, and mega-corporations controlling all our lives but with no public oversight - no elections, no independent judiciary, 'politicians' accountable to no-one.  Although, instead of politicians, we would have CEOs looking no further than their own pockets.

Yes, we get it, some people just like to fight. You can't prove your government would be able to handle that issue any better than a libertopia.
They already did - they regulated the fertiliser trade.  Case closed.

I can't take back the millions of deaths already caused by smallpox, nukes and car bombs, and I can't say that any version of Libertopia would make all of that go away either any more than yours does/did.
Oh but it did.  Do you think that, if the nuclear trade were unregulated, no terrorist organisation or crackpot millionaire would have used one by now?

When is the last time the IRA lit off a nuke?
...Just because something hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean it won't
Every day that goes by in which the IRA, and any other terrorist organisations, DON'T set off a nuke, is a glowing tribute to the non-proliferation treaty.

Jews have been killed and nukes have been used on people. Your point?
Nukes have only been used in an anarchic libertarian context - one member using a nuke against another member within an anarchic libertarian framework. Interpret the result how you wish. The various court systems and privates security firms may not have resolved the matter to your liking.
Excellent point.

When was the last time someone in totally ungoverned Somalia lit off a nuke?
Another excellent point.  No-one in Somalia can get nukes because the trade is so well regulated.

More fail, though I can see why you'd get confused. I'm not here to argue the points of the other guys. I'm just here to question the validity of your premises.
Would privately owned nukes held by corporations for the purposes of asteroid mining or asteroid defence be out of the question btw?
Rassah, this is a terribly terribly terribly bad question.  Are you somehow suggesting that, in LiberLand, a representative of the Asteroid Defence & Mining Company is going to travel door-to-door, looking for people to pay a contribution so that they'll defend your property from an asteroid?  And what, if you don't pay, and the asteroid looks like it's heading for your property, like, they won't shoot it down (well, up)?

I really thought privately held nukes were the limit of absurdity, and I tried the raindrop-triggered nuke just to see if b2c & fb had their limits.  But privately funded asteroid defence???  Man, that wins  Cheesy

What company in their right mind would sell him, just a random stranger, nukes, at the expense of liability to millions of people, or risk of having their own facilities blown up? And why would he spend hundrens of millions on a nuke for the purpose of just hiking wherever he wants? Why not just spend those millions to buy the land to hike on outright?
What poor worker in a uranium enrichment plant will not sell material at a vast profit to himself, so some crackpot organisation can bomb a city on the other side of the world, in a nation that this poor worker doesn't care about, or maybe even actively dislikes?

[Libertarianism] has NEVER been chosen by any society ever,despite the fact that it is an option. So obviously it's not a better option, based on your own reasoning. If that isn't correct, give a detailed explanation why.
Actually, it has been tried, in Spain.  Guess what, though?  It failed.  Externalities.  Greek city-states were also a close approximation.  Guess what?  Failed too.  Externalities again.  Sucks huh?

legendary
September 26, 2011, 04:01:12 PM
So please, explain how you defend yourself against a lunatic with a nuke?
If he intends to keep it as a collector item, use it for industreal safe uses, or otherwise is not using it to threaten or harm people, I don't do anything.
If he is threatening to harm people, I would hope that he values his own life. If he does, I pay to send a black ops team to relieve him of his nuke and/or his life. If he doesn't value his life, I send that team to relieve the nuke manufacturer of theirs.

And what do you do if he doesn't threaten anyone, he just detonates it with no warning. Not many terrorist organizations give people a heads up before blowing shit up.

Then, if i am still alive, I go after whoever sold him that nuke, and/or whoever helped him to raise the money to buy it. Why, what would your government do if a nuke was detonated, if its regulations that failed to stop fertilizer bombs and terrorism fail to prevent a nuke too?
Activity: 154
Merit: 103
September 26, 2011, 03:55:55 PM
Money will buy justice and protection. The people with the most money will be best protected, do they'll make all the rules.

I guess so. Would they be printing their money, or getting it from selling crap and services to poor unprotected people?

FYI, my greay-great-great-great-great-grandfather, a very wealthy count, was born into it. He blew it all on women and gambling (and in a way, saved my family by making it a much smaller target many years later when communists took over Russia). Many athletes suddenly end up with millions,as do lottery winners. They almost all end up broke. Point is, wealth isn't just something fixed, it's something that must be worked on and maintained. Granted, sometimes the methods to maintain it suck *coughMurdochcoughKochBrotherscough*, but regardless, someone is still paying something to someone to keep it going.

All I need is enough to buy a nuke and then I'm set for life.
legendary
September 26, 2011, 03:53:25 PM
Then your system is not voluntary as claimed. Your system is not coercion free as claimed. The non aggression principle is just smoke blown up peoples asses. Your system us as tyrannical and coercive as the state you claim to hate.

Sorry, their, their, and their. The big difference, it seems to me, is that voting is done with dollars, not voices (more specifically with everyone's shopping dollars, not the few's campaign dollars), and regulation is left to market forces instead of arbitrary political and special interest forces. Perhaps that system does suck. Not having the capacity to predict every possible aspect of how such a system might turn out (I can't predict the future), I wouldn't know. I suspect you wouldn't either.
legendary
September 26, 2011, 03:47:31 PM

Pages:
Jump to: