Pages:
Author

Topic: Internet Archive (Home of the Wayback Machine) Accepting Bitcoin Donations! - page 3. (Read 11568 times)

legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
It would be nice if they could spend the money as bitcoins. I'd imagine they could probably use it to buy some stuff at memory dealers for their serves. Does anyone know if there's anyone offering office supplies for bitcoin? It's not glamorous, but I'd imagine almost every charity that accepts bitcoins would need office supplies of some sort.

Or even just coffee for their office(s): http://bitbrew.net/

If we wanted to help get the brain juices flowing for them and future acceptors of Bitcoin, one sure fire way would be to send a gift bag of coffee, or other things purchased with Bitcoins and of course note on the card that they were purchased directly with Bitcoins. A good gesture and a passive suggestion that may just get their attention some more.

Cheers

+1
I really like this idea. Support bitcoin merchants at the same time. Great!
So... do it!  Have a bag or three drop-shipped from bitbrew straight to the guys working there.  Wink

Most major charitable organizations have a central office. An office with coffee drinkers. Coffee paid for possibly out of donated dollars. If they're able to just buy coffee with Bitcoin, the money not spent there would be used toward their intended goals. Think about it!
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
SETI is asking for donations. It would be awesome to get them to accept Bitcoin, too.
I agree. Cool https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/dear-setihome-please-accept-our-bitcoin-donations-50164
It would be nice if they could spend the money as bitcoins. I'd imagine they could probably use it to buy some stuff at memory dealers for their serves. Does anyone know if there's anyone offering office supplies for bitcoin? It's not glamorous, but I'd imagine almost every charity that accepts bitcoins would need office supplies of some sort.

If we wanted to help get the brain juices flowing for them and future acceptors of Bitcoin, one sure fire way would be to send a gift bag of coffee, or other things purchased with Bitcoins and of course note on the card that they were purchased directly with Bitcoins. A good gesture and a passive suggestion that may just get their attention some more.

Cheers

+1
So... do it
!  Have a bag or three drop-shipped from bitbrew straight to the guys working there.  Wink

I certainly agree and will be happy to do so. Sadly, I have spent my small 'fortune' of Bitcoins lately to buy hardware with Bitcoins to repair my small mining farm.  Any ideas on a way to fund a small 'thank you' care package for Archive.org?  I can put 1BTC towards it. We would want to make sure we attached a card to it that thanked them for their open minded addition of Bitcoins as a donation option. And suggesting they please accept the community's personal token of appreciation. And as a note, these items were purchased with Bitcoins from established businesses that have the forsight to accept them in exchange for their goods.

Cheers
Activity: 575
The North Remembers
SETI is asking for donations. It would be awesome to get them to accept Bitcoin, too.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

Cheers

+1
So... do it!  Have a bag or three drop-shipped from bitbrew straight to the guys working there.  Wink
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Cheers

+1
Activity: 504

If we wanted to help get the brain juices flowing for them and future acceptors of Bitcoin. One sure fire way would be to send a gift bag of coffee, or other things purchased with Bitcoins and of course note on the card that they were purchased directly with Bitcoins. A good gesture and a passive suggestion that may just get their attention some more.

Cheers
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

Activity: 270
Merit: 250
1CoinLabF5Avpp5kor41ngn7prTFMMHFVc
Also, for those who expressed concern, they have moved the link to the BTC address to directly under paypal.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
Are we sure that that bitcoin address is of internet archive and not a scam?

It's up on their donations page, so unless they're hacked, it's real.

We also have contact through Obsi, though with due respect, he's new.

You are right. Sorry, my fault, i didn't notice they put the bitcoin address on the website
Activity: 728
165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g

It's up on their donations page, so unless they're hacked, it's real.

We also have contact through Obsi, though with due respect, he's new.

Does anyone know if there's anyone offering office supplies for bitcoin?

Please don't evangelize them to death, guys.  Look at it from their side - they wanted to add a new way to accept payments that some people were asking for.  We're currency geeks, but they're not, and they didn't get into this looking for new ways to purchase their office supplies.  They know Bitcoin exists now, and these guys are probably pretty good at finding things on the internet.  They have several copies of it, after all.  Smiley  When they want to know more the information is widely available, and they'll find it.

Until then nagging them will only turn them off, so please just thank them for making it easy to donate and leave it at that.

Activity: 740
Hello world!

It was confirmed on their website, so yes: http://www.archive.org/about/faqs.php#311
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
Activity: 77
Merit: 10
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: 1pirata
Internet Archive has received 345BTC, valued currently over $1100!!!

wooow  Cheesy and they didn't spend even 1 satoshi
Activity: 270
Merit: 250
1CoinLabF5Avpp5kor41ngn7prTFMMHFVc
Internet Archive has received 345BTC, valued currently over $1100!!!
Activity: 630
I checked out this flattr thingey that was suggested in archive.org's blog's comments.

Support the Bitcoin like flattr service that has been around for quite a while, offers buying Bitcoin with Paypal, and so much more https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/youtipitorg-2877
Activity: 714
Merit: 504
^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.
I checked out this flattr thingey that was suggested in archive.org's blog's comments.

How does it work?
Pick how much you’d like to spend per month, for example €3. Then, whenever you see a Flattr button on a blog or website that you like, click it.

We count up all of your clicks at the end of each month and distribute your monthly spend between everything you’ve clicked on.
Funny idea.

Users are able to pay a small amount every month (minimum 2 euros) and then click Flattr buttons [etc]
In the beginning of the service Flattr itself takes 10% of all the users monthly flatrate, although this fee may be reduced at a later date if the economics permit it.
Expensive stuff.
Activity: 630
This is a huge step toward greater acceptance.  Archive.org and not only their history, but influence among other websites in general, so good.  As long as I have been into Bitcoin, this is one of the larger strides I have seen made.
legendary
Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056
Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com
Wow they changed the link location! I was originally planning to donate 1 BTC but thanks to their continued effort to support Bitcoin I will donate 5 BTC. We will also probably reconsider using Bitcoin100 to donate even more to them.
legendary
Activity: 910
Merit: 1001
Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data
They don't really do fancy web features, do they?

If your job was to make a browseable archive of the whole web, you probably wouldn't be too fond of some of those fancy web features either Wink
Pages:
Jump to: